Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I Turn To You

The band:

1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
~673:Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085
3334:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesPopSlow16thsSol ev16 065
~673:Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085

Drums:PopRock16ths^03-a:Sidestick, HiHat, b:Snare, HiHat also PopModernGrooveSync16

I'm playing the lead guitar

I Turn to You (2020, Christiane Spruit)

V1
Do I feel it deeply? do I feel alive ?
Am I running and in order in these loveless times?

V2
Shadows falling, down on me
Did I ever fail my god?
I am loved but I am weak

Chorus
Turning to you
Whenever I feel blue I turn to you

V3
Yes, some times anxious in my mind,
I lose all faith in me, feeling helpless like a child
Why am I, not good enough? And will I never measure up?

Chorus

Solo

outro vamp: I'm feeling blue, I turn to you

I found this one difficult to mix for some reason, don't know why, it's pretty basic instrumentation that I've used many times before.
So I welcome any comments on that or anything else for that matter smile

EDIT: 01/19: Uploaded a new mix based on some of the comments I've received. Thanks everyone!

Edited by BlueAttitude (01/19/20 03:07 AM)
Edit Reason: new mix

#576576 - 01/17/20 10:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dave & Chris...

Zowie! Hot!

The BAND is killer. Each piece is so "present". Drums, bass, organ, guitar(s).
I'm not a fan of a hard panned keyboard (piano or organ), but when everything was going is did sound balanced.

Dave, your lead on this is SMOKIN'!! It does not get any better than that.

Chris' vocal is excellent (smokey, as well). Mix-wise it seemed to sit a bit "back" from the "present" band. I think (perhaps) this was one case when a bit more up-front-in-your-face vocal would match the band (I could be wrong - you never know unless you are there in the mixing room).

A terrific Blues write.

Love it!!

fj

#576606 - 01/17/20 02:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Wowzer!

Janice first mentioned a Martin Scorsese blues special we watched years ago
where, Lulu (surprisingly) just knocked us out. I think the song was
Drown In My Own Tears. The passion of that vocal and Chris' are very
similar.

Chris' writes are always perfect for her vocal. If they were more wordy then
her soul would not get a chance to shine!

And speaking of soul and shining, man, that guitar....mesmerizing.

Regarding the mix, FWIW, we've found that sometimes the fewer the tracks
the harder it gets. Everything is so stark with 3-5 tracks. BUT when it works
it's very special. And this works!!!

J&B

#576654 - 01/17/20 05:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Dave / Chris

Excellent overall song - lovely passionate vocals - superb guitar.
The mix sounded good to me and you two never disappoint.

Great work.

Peter

#576659 - 01/17/20 05:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris,
Smoking vocals and searing guitar;your "voices" in wonderful sync again.
One of the simpler songs I`ve heard from you and there`s nothing missing.
Very,very good music!

Robert

#576683 - 01/18/20 02:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Interesting - I was battling with a floor tom ringing loudly on a side in sympathy with the kick drum just a couple of days ago. I thought that it may be the only RealDrum with that issue - clearly not.
I also discovered that the ringing, when masked by bass et., actually enhanced the click of the kick - makes no sense but experimentation proved it to be so.
The song is fabulous, the guitar licks are strong and purposeful.
Mix wise, the lead guitra could sit closer to centre or pop over to the other side a little to balance the keyboards.
Christine writes and sings lovely blues ballads.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#576711 - 01/18/20 08:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Another good one from you & Chris
Her vocals & lyrics
Combined with your guitar playing
And recording & mixing skills
Always seems to blend together into a pleasant sonic surprise...

I enjoyed the listen!

#576720 - 01/18/20 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
What a great song this is!
Love the vibe on this, it all just fits so nicely.

Man..that's a smok'n guitar.
Vocals .....she's got this one nailed.
Bring up the vocals a bit and it's a hit.

Moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#576735 - 01/18/20 10:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Yeah! Blues! laugh

Guitar comes in with a strong statement. Vocals play off against the organ nicely.

But... To my non-professional ears, the vocals seem buried by the instruments.

Love the change in the drum at 2:10.

Excellent singing and guitar, as usual.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#576743 - 01/18/20 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song Dave. I loved the mix. Chris’s vocal was super. Love the blues. Your guitar was awesome as usual. Tone was perfect. Well done

#576752 - 01/18/20 12:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Guitar was terrific, loved it. Pro level song and singing. Can't ask for more.

#576775 - 01/18/20 02:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Dave & Chris,

I like this, closer to traditional blues, as Dave mentioned "basic instrumentation" approach. I can hear more of you that way smile Listens very well! I would prefer vocals just a hint louder. Otherwise CONGRATS to both of you! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#576871 - 01/19/20 03:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: floyd jane]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris...

Zowie! Hot!

The BAND is killer. Each piece is so "present". Drums, bass, organ, guitar(s).
I'm not a fan of a hard panned keyboard (piano or organ), but when everything was going is did sound balanced.

Dave, your lead on this is SMOKIN'!! It does not get any better than that.

Chris' vocal is excellent (smokey, as well). Mix-wise it seemed to sit a bit "back" from the "present" band. I think (perhaps) this was one case when a bit more up-front-in-your-face vocal would match the band (I could be wrong - you never know unless you are there in the mixing room).

A terrific Blues write.

Love it!!

fj

Thanks, floyd!

I've made some tweaks to hopefully address the issues that you and others commented on and uploaded a new mix, hopefully better now.

#576959 - 01/19/20 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
That's a good one Dave and Chris! Chris's voice always makes me think of Heart's Ann Wilson...Chris delivers a super vocal every time! Dave, your guitar is superb here! I like the way you mimic the vocal in places and the solo is a total killer! Thanks,Torrey

#576979 - 01/19/20 02:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Jim Offline
Expert

Thanks Dave for you comments on Dirty Low Down Blues...
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Fun song, Jim, love your vocal!

How did you do that descending riff, did you play that?

Actually I notated that descending riff into Biab using the old Roland VSC.
I started to play it
But decided I liked it the way it was.

#577029 - 01/20/20 03:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Dave and Chris,

You did it again! A very nice laid back blues. And of cousre Chris her vocals... Beautiful!
But, having said all this there is one thing I have to mention and to ask;
I agree with the others who mentioned Chris could have been mixed more upfront. That would give the song more depth, I think.
The question is what made the mixing more difficult for you on this song, as you mentioned in the introduction?
You always have very, very good mixing results as I hear all your very nice songs.

Hans

#577035 - 01/20/20 04:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
More sensational delivery from Christiane and yourself.

This drives perfectly on every beat.

The recording balance could not be better, every instrument perfectly placed.

Outstanding solo is the absolute icing...

Songs in the user showcase don't get better than this. Outstanding. Everywhere.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#577042 - 01/20/20 05:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Dave & Chris

Blown away with the vocals ,guitar work and the mix , this sounds perfect on my side.

Pro stuff ..Again !!

Thanks

#577086 - 01/20/20 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Your guitar and her vocal kindles a killer combination.

And this song too is on fire.

I dig the organ. Good choice for this.

The ending is nicely haunting.

#577110 - 01/20/20 12:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Turn to You [Re: BlueAttitude]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Vocals out front! Yeah!

Dang, this sounds sooooo good! laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70914 Topics
614327 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MuchHustle, Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34

34902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 219
VideoTrack 212