Options
Index
#580372 - 02/11/20 07:22 AM [User Showcase] Magpie
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Hi y’all,

I’m really lagging behind - not only with listening to all those new songs here (am I the only one who has the feeling that the number of new songs is increasing exponentially?), but also with my own songs:: Got three new videos ‘in the making’, but none of them is ready for the roll-ouit by now..

So for the time being I’m going to post something a bit different from my usual stuff today - here’s the back story:

Last summer my brother sent me an mp3 file with just a melody he had sung, some funny German lyrics, no harmonies, just some very raw singing. He wanted to give this song as a birthday present to his girl friend and asked me if I could make an arrangement / backing track for it.

Well, of course I was excited to do this, we had a nice collab, recorded his vocal, and the birthday present was a huge success.

Because I liked the song I thought I should try to translate his lyrics into English sticking as closely as possible to the original wording and then recorded it myself using the arrangemt I had put together with BIAB, changing the melody a bit.

This production was never meant to see any public light, so I already kept the first or second track - TommyC would say; ‘Just foolin’ around.’ Since I can’t’t even find the original RealBand file anymore, Maha couldn’t work on my vocals and had to make do with an almost forgotten wave file that she did some mastering on today.

So just take it as it is, please: no big thing, but it was fun to work on something very different from my own songs.

MAGPIE

Take care,

Stefan

Technical data:

Style is _GRVYPNO.STY (Groovy Piano Pop )

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2046:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealDrums in style: JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:HHSdStk, b:HHSnr
Added: RealTrack ~143:7Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110

Added: RT2534:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, HeldChords
Added: RT408:Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
Added: RT669:Guitar, Slide, Background EasySouthern Ev 120

Unfortunately I can’t trace which alto sax soloist track I used for the sax parts - sorry.

I used BIAB and RealBand for the backing track, Maha did all the sound work using RealBand with PGMusic dynamics, PGMusic reverb and the EasyQ parametric EQ pluig-in. Mastered it in Ozone 8.

Edited by Crossroads (02/11/20 07:40 AM)

#580375 - 02/11/20 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Henni & Stefan & Maha...

A fun listen! Clever.

Good vocals, nice mix. Enjoy it.

fj

HA! the tab says "Nagpie"...intentional??

#580385 - 02/11/20 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Online   content
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Hi, Stefan. You need not apologize for lagging behind on your posts. Your influence is evident here, man. I'm new here and am still catching up on all the magical music you've already posted. And tell Maha I REALLY love those videos, and I never tire of the songs. Ok, that said, now get back to those 3 that are ‘in the making’.

This song is superb, and I'd like it in any language!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#580389 - 02/11/20 08:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Stefan,

I thought you were too busy with my song. How could it happen you also were working on this, very good swinging song with that funny lyrics, without mention it to me?
I think it's because you also sing about an animal like in my song, isn't it!
But well done on this!

Hans

#580404 - 02/11/20 11:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Nice old rag time blues, fun theme and looks like the cat got the bird !!!.

Enjoyed ,

Thanks

#580423 - 02/11/20 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Good fun.
the slowed ending works a treat.
An enjoyable narrative with my expectation of the climax being met which adds a satisfying feel to the piece - home - journey & home again.
Excellent work - kudos to your brother on top of the excellent work you & Maha did.

#580435 - 02/11/20 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Good idea well delivered, and the ending was nice. Vox, instruments, production, all good. Enjoyed listening!

#580443 - 02/11/20 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
Stefan,

You are right. There has been a lot of activity, and I am having a hard time catching up with all the good posts.

I see the brothers share a sense of humor.

The chorus really sticks with you.

Love the style. Good choice for the content.

#580463 - 02/11/20 10:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Big smiles here. Clever idea, and the translation works well. To end so sweetly put a tear in my eye.

The band is solid and the vocals strong and well-placed. Maha did them both proud. The only crit I can make is that "wanted" is not spelled "wnated". smile Easy fix.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#580475 - 02/12/20 01:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
This is a CLASSIC in capital letters! Absolutely brilliant!!! Loved it all, made me smile and made my day brighter - and, if music can do that, that's one of the highest compliments one can give to a writer, right? And that ending! Love the slow tempo, as if to emphasise every single word and syllable you are singing. Bravo - standing ovation from me :-)

#580507 - 02/12/20 09:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Enjoyably positive and easily flowing lyrics, definitely sounds like the original was an excellent birthday present.
The chorus is really catchy sing-a-long. I like the smooth soulful arrangement. Kind of a musical song, I could see you dancing with a stick and a hat wink

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#580539 - 02/12/20 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Stefan

A really nice fun song - excellent vocals and clever ending.

Very much enjoyed.

(And yes the songs are cycling through very quickly at the moment!)

Peter

#580680 - 02/13/20 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Stefan,

You are right, the number of posts is definitely going up, makes it easy to miss new posts. I saw you had posted this yesterday but didn't have time to listen, and when I went looking for it today it had slipped halfway down the second page.

Great song! Good writing and I really like your vocal. Love the slowed down ending! Mix sounds great also, listened through both the monitors and the phones.

#580700 - 02/13/20 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lots of new posts. Some very good songs. Love your music. Super lyrics and always excellent vocals and production. Well done

#580793 - 02/14/20 06:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: floyd jane]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Henni & Stefan & Maha...

A fun listen! Clever.

Good vocals, nice mix. Enjoy it.

fj

HA! the tab says "Nagpie"...intentional??

Hi Floyd,

thanks a lot, glad you liked it.

"Nagpie"...intentional??"

No, I'm afraid this would posit a level of English 'pun-ability' I haven't yet reached - sorry, just a typo...

Regards,

Stefan

#580795 - 02/14/20 06:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: BabuMusic]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Hi, Stefan. You need not apologize for lagging behind on your posts. Your influence is evident here, man. I'm new here and am still catching up on all the magical music you've already posted. And tell Maha I REALLY love those videos, and I never tire of the songs. Ok, that said, now get back to those 3 that are ‘in the making’.

This song is superb, and I'd like it in any language!

Oh man, you are really supportive !!!!!! Thanks a lot for your very kind words and also that kick in the butt: it worked - video no. 1 is almost done ;-))...

All the best,

Stefan

#580796 - 02/14/20 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Birchwood]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Stefan,

I thought you were too busy with my song. How could it happen you also were working on this, very good swinging song with that funny lyrics, without mention it to me?
I think it's because you also sing about an animal like in my song, isn't it!
But well done on this!

Hans

Yes, Hans, looks like we brought a new genre to this forum: 'pet tunes'...

No need to worry: I did not have to work on this one anymore, only had to look for the wave file and have Maha do the mastering.

I am very glad you liked it.

Take good care,

Stefan

#580797 - 02/14/20 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: beatmaster]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice old rag time blues, fun theme and looks like the cat got the bird !!!.

Enjoyed ,

Thanks

Yes, baetmaster: The cat got the bird... Thanks a lot for your nice comment!

Cheers,

Stefan

#580798 - 02/14/20 07:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: rayc]
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rayc
Good fun.
the slowed ending works a treat.
An enjoyable narrative with my expectation of the climax being met which adds a satisfying feel to the piece - home - journey & home again.
Excellent work - kudos to your brother on top of the excellent work you & Maha did.

Hi Ray,

I'm always especially happy to read your positive comments, so thanks a lot for this one, too.
I passed your compliment to Maha and knowing that you're the expert she was very flattered by your kind words.

All the best,

Stefan

#580833 - 02/14/20 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Magpie [Re: Crossroads]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
Great song Stefan! Your vocal and the processing on it is fantastic! You did (once again) such a wonderful job on the production of this tune! You always post great stuff and this one is right there with the rest of your material! Enjoyed it! Thanks, Torrey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac® Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2022 during our Mac special (ending July 15th) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK*!

What does the Free Bonus PAK include?
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 34: Blues Piano and Organ (9 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 16: Fusion Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 11: Songs with Vocals volume 1 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 1 (20 RealDrums stems)
-MIDI Styles Set 84: Look Ma! More MIDI 7 (complete, 15 styles)
-Over 400 playable RealTracks (sfz sforzando files)
-RealCombos Booster PAK (30 New RealStyles, 26 Existing RealStyles, 109 RT's/RD's)

Want even more? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to the 49-PAK for $49 to add:
-60 Bonus RT/RD (20 more than in previous years)
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 35: All Guitar (5 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 17: Classic Country Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 12: Songs with Vocals volume 2 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 2 (20 RealDrums stems)
-Look Ma! More MIDI 8 (complete, 15 styles)

Learn more...

*excluding the $49 version upgrade purchase.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

Forum Stats
36238 Members
64 Forums
74909 Topics
657853 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Alan Peach, Frank Aiello, BC Songsmith, RickD, Brightnights

36237 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 264
zedd 187