Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#583565 - 03/04/20 06:34 AM [User Showcase] One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice)
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

It's Birthday Song Time again!!

The regulars (old-timers? smile ) will know - Tom Adams (tommyad) and I share a birthday - March 4th.

We have been doing some type of collaboration or co-write posted on March 4th for the last 7 years.
Janice & Bud have joined us on several.

Tom hasn't been around much this past year (our loss, for sure), but I wouldn't let him off the hook...
(you can let life get in the way only so much...)

So here is this year's effort.

The Players:

tom adams: pedal steel, acoustic fills and harmonics
janice merritt: harmonies
fj: lyrics & music, vocals, arrangement, production, mixing, mastering, corralling, cajoling

RealTracks in song: 3469:Bass, Electric, AmericanaSyncSteveB Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 3503:Bass, Electric, NashvilleRadioBalladB Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3057:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkAltBassQuinn Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2448:Guitar, Electric, Background, PopDreamyBrent Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashvillePop16
BIAB MIDI Chords exported to EZKeys Grand Piano
Royalty Free Loops (chunk acoustic, pads, shaker)

ONE SURE THING

the sun comes up in the morning
like it wants me to decide
should i rope the world one more day
and take it for a ride
should i make a pot of coffee
or just finished last night's warm flat beer
seems everybody wants to know which way i'll turn
the answer's never clear

should i look for work today
or just get by on what i got
should i fix that silverado
or just let the damn thing rot
when jason asks my opinion of his girl
'cause he's got some doubts
should i take the moral high road
or the easy way out

i need one sure thing
   one thing that i can trust
   one thing i know is true
   i hear a million different voices
   decisions questions choices
   all twisted distorted misconstued
   i need one sure thing
   i need it to be you

should i tell you you're a blessing
should i tell you i'm your curse
should i let you have the best of me
or let you see my worst
should i test those rocky waters
or leave my heart up on a shelf
should i tell you that i love you
or keep it to myself

i need one sure thing...

We hope you enjoy it.

Janice - thanks for joining us! (Bud, too!)

Tom - Happy Birthday, bro.

fj

For those who are new around these parts...
Here are the previous Birthday Songs if you are interested...

Tell Her - March 4, 2014
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=242609#Post242609

She's Going Through Some Changes - March 4, 2015
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=286531#Post286531

Too Dangerous - March 4, 2016
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=338948#Post338948

A Hole The Size Of Texas - March 4, 2017
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=398420#Post398420

Pier Pressure - March 4, 2018
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=459749#Post459749

I Want You To Know Me - March 4, 2019
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=527305#Post527305

#583568 - 03/04/20 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I was hoping you guys were going to going to continue the tradition, I've really enjoyed the last few you have done.

Really good, floyd! Great writing, vocal, and mix. Love hearing Tom on the Pedal Steel, and of course always enjoy hearing Janice do her thing.

Happy Birthday floyd and Tom!

Blue Attitude Website

#583581 - 03/04/20 07:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Another great collaboration and wonderful use of a special day. Thanks for making your special day, special for the rest of us. It's always worth the wait.

#583582 - 03/04/20 08:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Guys and Happy Birthday, with many returns.

Loved the song.
Always superbly written and always with that signature vocal, plus cool backing vocals.
Great band, great structure, great mix and as fully professional as ever.

I'm not even going to mention the lack of a solo......

ROG.

#583605 - 03/04/20 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

Happy birthday, floyd and Tom!! Beautifully done. Yours & Janice's vocals and that pedal steel bring this song to a soaring height. So well done. Inspiring.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#583640 - 03/04/20 03:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Floyd et al
Many happy returns, Floyd and Tom. What a wonderful collaboration to mark the occasion. Excellent writing, the usual high quality vocals and the pedal steel is the icing on the birthday cake.
Regards,
Leon

#583647 - 03/04/20 03:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Chicago, IL
Happy birthday Floyd, Happy Birthday Tom!

I knew this would be good when I saw the players - this is really top notch. Could have come straight off an album made in Nashville if you ask me - it's got that classic sound. Great work by Floyd, Tom, Janice and Bud. Really digging it at the 2:18 mark.

P.S. - I've been a Tom Adams fan for a couple years on SoundCloud - gotta love those sweet guitar sounds.

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#583664 - 03/04/20 04:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Happy birthday gentlemen!

Tom, Floyd, Janice and Bud, individually you always give us top notch air play ready songs that we all enjoy. But together you are dynamite!

This is pro all the way. The vocals, steel guitar, harmonies, lyrics, well everything is perfect.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#583691 - 03/04/20 07:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Happy B’Day floyd. Thanks for pulling me in on this one. You showed off your writing performing and mixing skills in a big way here. Janice is just a great harmony as well as lead singer. My apologies to everyone for being gone for so long and my thanks to all for the birthday wishes. Much appreciated!

#583703 - 03/04/20 09:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Floyd and Tom (and Janice),

Love the acoustic guitar work in this—resonates through the mix. And Janice’s harmonies are so sweet behind Floyd’s strong vocal. Nice listen. And Happy Birthday to the both of you!

All the best,

Deej

#583713 - 03/04/20 10:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd, Tom & Janice

First happy birthday(s).

Has it all- excellent lyrics, production, mix lead vocal, superb harmony and wonderful guitars.

Top notch collaboration (not unexpected) and a top notch song.

Peter

#583716 - 03/05/20 01:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Top shelf, top flight, top stuff!
Tres cool - the added humans REALLY make it fabulous.
Well done team.
If sincerity were a VST you'd be Waves' biggest seller.
I enjoyed this very much, thank you.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#583727 - 03/05/20 02:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Floyd / Tom,

Happy Birthday to you both.

This is by far my favorite from the two of you... Beautiful work.

"should i look for work today
or just get by on what i got
should i fix that silverado
or just let the damn thing rot"

Amazing...

Bob

#583736 - 03/05/20 03:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Ok, how do I comment on this? This is amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. Beautiful, tender and, above all, communicative. The lyrics are heartbreaking, sincere and go straight for and to the heart. The musical line is genius, because (amongst other things) it tells a story. It amplifies the lyrics and doesn't get in their way because it's so deceptively simple and sung as if by someone who's seen a hundred thousand heartbreaks in their lifetime. I can't praise this enough. Well done to all concerned and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to both Tom and floyd ... you both deserve it so much after this kinda effort. Janice harmonises seamlessly with the singing line.

One of my all time favourites from this forum - be proud of this one!!!

Edited by musician17 (03/05/20 03:17 AM)

#583773 - 03/05/20 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: BlueAttitude]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I was hoping you guys were going to going to continue the tradition, I've really enjoyed the last few you have done.

Really good, floyd! Great writing, vocal, and mix. Love hearing Tom on the Pedal Steel, and of course always enjoy hearing Janice do her thing.

Happy Birthday floyd and Tom!

Thanks, Dave!

#583840 - 03/05/20 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,
Terrific contributions from your comrades on a lovely song.
The details in the opening verses are a great lead in to the warmth of the chorus; this is a memorable write!
Awesome lead vocals,backing choices and production.
I missed a few early Tom/Floyd birthday outings-heading there now.

Robert

#583869 - 03/05/20 05:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Great track guys, not overcrowded musically, brilliant lyrics, and a good traditional style of country, which I really love.
Keep 'em comin

#583911 - 03/05/20 10:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Janice, Tom & Floyd ...

Have time for just one listen and I'm super happy I picked on this one! As I said over on Soundcloud ... when you folks collaborate, you make some of the best music my ears could ever want to hear. The selection of the tracks and real folks is so perfect ... just enough to fill the spectrum but not enough to get in each others' way. Every track was vivid and spot on. Another better than great listen.

Happy birthday to you gentlemen. My brother's birthday was the 3rd ... mine the 22nd. Difference is ... I'm really old! Will be 73. Yikes!!

Wishing All of you the very best. Continued health and much satisfaction with your music.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#583913 - 03/05/20 11:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Surrey,England
Mr_Songman Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Surrey,England
Hi gentlefolk,

Songwriting at it's best, what else can I say.

The lyric structure is perfect and the vocal sails effortlessly over the lines with all the right emphasis in all the right places.

'i need one sure thing
i need it to be you'

This resolve at the end of the chorus really gives feeling and emotion to that final line. So much so that I wonder if 'I Need It To Be You' shouldn't be the title.

Kudos to all involved.

Martin smile

#583948 - 03/06/20 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: One Sure Thing (w/ Tom Adams and Janice) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Floyd, Janice and Thom,

At first, congratulations on both your birthdays (you and Thom), although it has been a while ago by now.
This is another wonderful song from your hand!
The pedal steel always fits in nicely in this type of songs. The acoustic sounds so bright, I really like those very clear sounds in your songs! I think by now I would recognize your songs wherever I am. You have a very recognizable and cool style!

Cheers,
Hans

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Delivery Explained...

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows or Mac directly from PG Music Inc., you can choose to download your order, ship your order, or BOTH!

Having your Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK shipped? Choose between DVD installation or flash drive installation during the checkout process. Purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+? These ship pre-installed on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

Don't forget, just because you're order is shipping doesn't mean you can't download it while you wait - you can locate your online order records in your pgmusic.com account, within the "My Products" section.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Forum Stats
32869 Members
68 Forums
66188 Topics
562212 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Ashley U, Portland Guitar, kenjf, Bruce Hall, G J Goldwyn

32868 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 174
VideoTrack 142