Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#589909 - 04/05/20 09:08 AM [User Showcase] After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

After The Storm

Back to our roots...it's been a fun journey from our bluegrass days to our current blues and Americana music. But sometimes ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya so here's a straight ahead bluegrass song. Our good friend Tom Adams (Tommyad) wrote the lyric, developed the chord structure, created the arrangement and mixed/mastered it while Janice created the melody.

For folks new to the forum Tom is a long time member who’s currently on a bit of a sabbatical. He’s a fine multi genre singer, writer and pedal steel/guitar player. Tom and Janice did it all - Bud just went along for the ride on this one. smile

After The Storm is currently a featured song on one of Songtradr’s curated playlists.

Thanks to Janice for being the model in Bud’s pic.

There is not much bluegrass around the forum nowadays but we do hope you enjoy it.

Comments are always welcome.

Janice: lead/harmony vocals and melody
Tom: lyrics, arrangement, mix and mastering
Bud: vocal engineering ONLY
RealTracks 1122:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 110
RealTracks 1699:Mandolin, Rhythm BluegrassWaltz Sw 085
The rest of the band consists of royalty free loops.

Tom's production info: Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins: Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter,
CLA Acoustic, Waves Vocal Rider, Waves Bass Rider

Just when you think that you’ve got it made
The sky can turn dark in a flash
Dreams of the future become watered down
When you can’t let go of the past

Come here beside me
It’s where you belong
Be thankful and try to stay warm
A Beautiful sunrise
and we’re standing tall
Together after the storm

We can put on a smile and just write it off
Say the suns gonna shine here some day
It’s never been easy but to tell you the truth
I’m glad that it turned out this way

Come here beside me
It’s where you belong
A Beautiful sunrise
and we’re standing tall
Together after the storm

Come here beside me
It’s where you belong

©2019 Thomas Adams/ Janice Merritt

#589912 - 04/05/20 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Enjoy it? I love this!

As usual super vocals by Janice. The instrumentation was absolutely perfect, I think you have a little experience in bluegrass music wink

The mix was spot on also.

Great work here!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#589931 - 04/05/20 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: MarioD]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Enjoy it? I love this!

As usual super vocals by Janice. The instrumentation was absolutely perfect, I think you have a little experience in bluegrass music wink

The mix was spot on also.

Great work here!

Thanks Mario. It's always fun to collaborate with Tom!

J&B (mostly J here smile )

#589946 - 04/05/20 12:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Janice & Bud (and Tom)

You all just keep rolling along with one great song after another. This might be one of my favorite Janice vocal (with perfect harmony). And just a wonderful write. And, of course, the production is just, well, perfect. I continue to be amazed at how clean and crisp your recordings come out—studio quality stuff, truly. Absolutely brilliant piece of music!

My beyond humble regards,

Deej

#589957 - 04/05/20 12:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
What a refreshing song, there's just so much to like about it.

Is the fiddle coming from a loop? It slots in absolutely perfectly.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#589980 - 04/05/20 01:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
I'll never get tired of listening to your songs. This is beautiful from beginning to end - from the lyrics to Janice's stunning singing (par for the course by now, and yet always managing to move us all, never the same). The harmonising sections, in particular, are out of this world. I'm no good at mixes, etc., so I won't comment on that ... apart from saying that it all sounds very clear and sharply focused to my ears, at least. Finally ... the song itself is really, really beautiful ... brilliant message enveloped in the musical equivalent of homemade warm soup ... which just warms the heart.

Another superb achievement ... thank you so much for brightening our days and sharing this!

#589985 - 04/05/20 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

Absolutely lovely. Beautiful vocals and outstanding lyrics. Production A+. So smooth. Congratulations to all involved.

#589989 - 04/05/20 01:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Top shelf all-round. Song, vocals, backing, mix - its got it all.
Stay well,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#589991 - 04/05/20 02:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Deej56]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice & Bud (and Tom)

You all just keep rolling along with one great song after another. This might be one of my favorite Janice vocal (with perfect harmony). And just a wonderful write. And, of course, the production is just, well, perfect. I continue to be amazed at how clean and crisp your recordings come out—studio quality stuff, truly. Absolutely brilliant piece of music!

My beyond humble regards,

Deej

Thanks. The production is ALL Tom's. I (Bud) only did the vocal engineering. Glad you liked it!

J&B

#590006 - 04/05/20 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janice, Tom & Bud

That was an absolute delight. It's almost like you guys have done this type of song before!

Lovely melody which is very singable (or humm-able), an absolutely gorgeous vocal, and a lovely harmony.

Great job by Tom on the production and arrangement - totally professional sound, very together, sounds like a top quality band playing.

Very nice indeed.

Peter

(Bud, Janice is nicely recorded!)

#590015 - 04/05/20 05:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Janice, Tom & Bud
Peter said it all. An absolute delight.
(And love the photo.)
Regards,
Leon

#590022 - 04/05/20 06:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Sounds great y'all!

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#590025 - 04/05/20 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: VideoTrack]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
What a refreshing song, there's just so much to like about it.

Is the fiddle coming from a loop? It slots in absolutely perfectly.

Thanks! Yes Tom artfully used a loop for the fiddle. Appreciate the listen.

J&B

#590031 - 04/05/20 07:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Tom & Janice - EXCELLENT from all standpoints.
Bud - the vocal recording is ace.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#590076 - 04/06/20 01:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Great stuff, Tom, Janice and Bud. Just lovely.

Those first two lines

"Just when you think that you’ve got it made
The sky can turn dark in a flash"

How true. How quickly things can change. And sometimes it's not even your fault but it is still your responsibility.

#590079 - 04/06/20 02:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi J&B + Tom.

A wonderful song, beautiful in it's simplicity.

The simple chord sequence and minimal band works so well and allows Janice's voice to shine through.

Loved the harmonies, loved the fiddle, loved the whole thing.

ROG.

#590090 - 04/06/20 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: musician17]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: musician17
I'll never get tired of listening to your songs. This is beautiful from beginning to end - from the lyrics to Janice's stunning singing (par for the course by now, and yet always managing to move us all, never the same). The harmonising sections, in particular, are out of this world. I'm no good at mixes, etc., so I won't comment on that ... apart from saying that it all sounds very clear and sharply focused to my ears, at least. Finally ... the song itself is really, really beautiful ... brilliant message enveloped in the musical equivalent of homemade warm soup ... which just warms the heart.

Another superb achievement ... thank you so much for brightening our days and sharing this!

Thank you James. All credit to Tom and Janice on this one. Tom is a terrific writer and as Janice says his lyrics are always very “singable!”

J&B

#590153 - 04/06/20 10:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: jptjptjpt]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Absolutely lovely. Beautiful vocals and outstanding lyrics. Production A+. So smooth. Congratulations to all involved.

Thanks!

J&B

#590236 - 04/06/20 06:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
A production of true quality!!! Sounds radio ready! Everything is just right, and Janice's vocal always give any song she sings that extra something!! WONDERFUL!! Take care. Greg

#590249 - 04/06/20 06:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: After The Storm (A Tom & Janice write) [Re: mkg50 (Mike G)]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Top shelf all-round. Song, vocals, backing, mix - its got it all.
Stay well,
Mike

Thanks Mike. Best to you.

J&B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Delivery Explained...

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows or Mac directly from PG Music Inc., you can choose to download your order, ship your order, or BOTH!

Having your Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK shipped? Choose between DVD installation or flash drive installation during the checkout process. Purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+? These ship pre-installed on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

Don't forget, just because you're order is shipping doesn't mean you can't download it while you wait - you can locate your online order records in your pgmusic.com account, within the "My Products" section.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Forum Stats
32870 Members
68 Forums
66189 Topics
562214 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
JRoot, Ashley U, Portland Guitar, kenjf, Bruce Hall

32869 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 174
VideoTrack 142