Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#594845 - 04/29/20 09:44 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

The emphasis is on FREE!

I have seen enough reviews to thoroughly confuse me.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2020 w/current updates.

#594847 - 04/29/20 10:11 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Cakewalk by BandLab is free. I used to pay hundreds for it when it was SONAR. it’s very powerful and among the easier DAWs to use.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#594851 - 04/29/20 10:30 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Carmel New York
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Carmel New York
Don that is a good suggestion from Matt. Bandlab is truly free, not free for a while and such.
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2020, Realband, Studio one 4.6 Pro, Logic Pro X, Melodyne 4 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus Faderport 8, Komplete 49 key controller.

#594853 - 04/29/20 11:22 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Don,

Here are a few for you to check out. +++ Ardour +++ +++ Tracktion Waveform Free +++ +++ MultiTrack Studio +++

The MultiTrack Studio link is really interesting because the software includes a suite of general midi compatible instruments. Make sure you watch the +++ MutiTrack Studio Demonstration Video +++. It's really fun to watch.

+++ THIS +++ Wikipedia page is a good resource for comparing DAWs.
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1909, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#594857 - 04/29/20 11:37 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Matt Finley]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Cakewalk by BandLab is free. I used to pay hundreds for it when it was SONAR. it’s very powerful and among the easier DAWs to use.

Matt,

Thank you for your prompt response. I d/l'd it but the installer appears to hang D/l'd again but the same problem. Just thought of something; I may have it installed previously.

Will scope that and report back.

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music

#594863 - 04/29/20 12:19 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Got it!

Thanks, Matt, and all who threw out a lifeline.

See why I love this little "family"?

#594880 - 04/29/20 02:49 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Very good. After I created the BandLab account, I never used it except to download updates. But Cakewalk is great. Many here know and use it.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#595111 - 05/01/20 12:27 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Yeah Jim put me on to BandLab and gave me a video so I could work out how to hook the Biab Plugin up to play midi:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/584qgofck4607e3/BandLab-BiabVST-Midi-Out.mp4?dl=0

#597069 - 05/12/20 09:55 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
etcjoe Offline
Enthusiast

Yes, I spent a fortune on Cakewalk/Sonar products over the years then Gibson bought them, they went kaput, BandLab acquired Cakewalk and have been providing updates regularly. Very powerful software with lots of bells and whistles, not too hard to learn and FREE. Wow.

#597080 - 05/12/20 11:03 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: etcjoe]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: etcjoe
Yes, I spent a fortune on Cakewalk/Sonar products over the years then Gibson bought them, they went kaput, BandLab acquired Cakewalk and have been providing updates regularly. Very powerful software with lots of bells and whistles, not too hard to learn and FREE. Wow.

Joe,

Thanks,

I downloaded Bandlab about a week ago and I am using it now. It looks like everything I'll ever need in a DAW and FREE is important to a retired guy.

#597235 - 05/13/20 06:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Reaper immediately comes to mind - I've never used it personally but heard good things, considering it's free.

#597238 - 05/13/20 06:14 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Reaper immediately comes to mind - I've never used it personally but heard good things, considering it's free.

Deryk,

Thank you for tossing out a lifeline. I downloaded Reaper and Bandlab. Will experiment and decide.

#597259 - 05/13/20 07:57 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

There are users of each here, so you will have some support.

#597265 - 05/13/20 08:29 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Matt Finley]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Thank you, Matt.

Looks like Reaper is Trialware for 30-days.

#597303 - 05/13/20 01:55 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I thought after 30 days it will start with a 10sec wait then "Continue Evaluation ?"
I could integrate it with Biab and BiabPlugin because it uses scripting you can get it to do just about anything without the need to wish for years for a feature to be added.

#597312 - 05/13/20 02:52 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I don't use Reaper, but I agree with Pipeline. I've read that after their trial period, you get a nag notice upon startup, but it's still free to use and not hobbled. Of course if you continue to use it, ethically you should register and pay.

#597313 - 05/13/20 02:53 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
In my experience Reaper does not force you to buy.
It will ask, and trusts that its value causes enough users to buy it voluntarily (many of us here have) .. but you can keep using it for free, as far as I know.
I've never heard of anybody being cut off using it.

If concerned about it, ask them privately and explain your situation. They seem pretty reasonable to me, and would probably offer a license. Nothing to lose by talking to them.

#597402 - 05/14/20 03:47 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Jersey Channel Islands
Brian Cadoret Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands

Hi,

Magix Samplitude have a free full version of Samplitude Pro X4 Silver.

https://www.magix.com/us/support/pro-audio-downloads/

Once installed just register for full serial key.

It is limited to 12 Tracks but accepts third party VSTi's and VST effects plus has it's own effects and the Independence 2GB sample library.

Well worth a try.

Brian

Edited by Brian Cadoret (05/14/20 05:40 AM)

#597421 - 05/14/20 06:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Bandlab? Never got past the first page of commercial gubbins.So much c--p on the page I just couldn't find out how to just open the DAW. Good luck.

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp

SOUNDCLOUD UPDATED - tracks that were made entirely using BIAB -
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#597429 - 05/14/20 06:35 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need a FREE DAW that accepts VSTi plugins [Re: Don Gaynor]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

True, the BandLab app looked like nonsense to me, but the Cakewalk part does not have ads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box® Online Manuals - An Excellent Resource!

The Band-in-a-Box® program manuals are available on our Support page - what an excellent online resource to help you get the most out of the program!

Head to our Support | Online Manuals page and you'll have access to both a PDF and an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2018-2020 and RealBand 2018-2020!

Bookmark www.pgmusic.com/manuals/ today!

Forum Stats
32434 Members
68 Forums
65060 Topics
551210 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Alias58, KRSaxMan, Rolly, narelfr, mrgoodbass

32433 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 166
Jim Fogle 154