Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Was It Only Yesterday?

https://soundcloud.com/user-427542889/was-it-only-yesterday/s-RgMfC64bI3G

BIAB Style & Tracks:

PLEAT.STY Singer-Songwriter Jam

366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065 (Reverb 40)
1839:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGroove A-B Ev 16 075 (Reverb 45)
RealDrums=Folk16thsSlowBrushes (Reverb 55)
3394:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SingerSongwriterSync Ev 070 (Reverb 250)
1902:Guitar, Acoustic, Background Bolero Ev 090 (Reverb 80)
1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist, CountryBrent Ev 065 (Reverb 70)
1215:Vibes, Rhythm Bossa Ev 085 (Reverb 40)

Vocals: Shure PG57 mic - Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface, Reaper DAW. FX-NoiseAsh Vocal Finalizer.

Mixed with Audacity

LYRICS:

Was it only yesterday that you went away?
'Cause it seems like a lifetime to me
Can you help me understand,
Was it something you planned,
A cruel joke, or how it's meant to be?

You said you were an open book
Well, a page or two got overlooked
'Cause suddenly you're heading out the door
Without so much as "by your leave"
I'm left here with my memories
Of happier times we had before

It's cold, sky is grey, stumble down to the bay
See glistening sand forsaken by the tide
But as everybody knows, the tides ebb and flow
So perhaps one day you'll come back to my side

But even if it isn't so
I just want to let you know
I'd cross the universe for you
I gave you all I had to give
And you're the reason that I live
Without you here I don't know what I'll do.

INSTRUMENTAL

But even if it isn't so
I just want to let you know
I'd cross the universe for you

Edited by Ghostgum (06/17/20 02:52 PM)

#602380 - 06/17/20 02:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like the mood you set with this, good writing and vocal.

Is that you playing the solo?

Blue Attitude Website

#602392 - 06/17/20 04:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: BlueAttitude]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

I Wish! It's Brent Mason smile

#602451 - 06/17/20 03:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"You said you were an open book
Well, a page or two got overlooked ... "

Nice vocal, band, write and mix.

We particularly like the above lines.

Well done!

J&B

#602453 - 06/17/20 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Your usual high level of work here, great vocal and song, I like how the guitar solo carried over somewhat into the next verse. Well done!

#602471 - 06/17/20 04:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Chris Dent Offline
Enthusiast

A really nice song. Very tasteful arrangement and mix.

#602498 - 06/17/20 06:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Ghostgum:

Engaging melody, smooth vocal, excellent write and strong production . . . what’s not to like here? Reminds me of a 70’s tune . . . something from Bread maybe. Very nicely done—compelling tune!

All my best to you,

Deej

#602522 - 06/17/20 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Hard for someone of my generation to get out of that 70s groove. So much good music from that era smile

#602754 - 06/19/20 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

You have a clear smooth voice well suited to this style ( yes, reminds me of Bread too... and since their vocals were top shelf, that`s a compliment!) I liked the melody and arrangement as well.
Very good!

Robert

#602763 - 06/19/20 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Vocals are amazing and you use it well, you need nothing more in that department for sure.

I think I commented on one of your songs before ...!!.

You do sound like a modern Rodger Whittaker !!.

Take care my friend really enjoyed this.
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#602789 - 06/19/20 07:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
A stunner of a song. Loved it from start to finish. Love your voice and the backing just complimented the song perfectly

#602793 - 06/19/20 09:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

My thanks to Dave, Janice & Bud, Tunemonger, Chris, Deej, Robert, Beatmaster & Graham.
I appreciate you all taking to time to review my post and giving your encouraging feedback.
Stay safe. smile

Brian

#602797 - 06/19/20 09:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hello Ghost ...

I think you already know how much I enjoy your vocals. This is another perfect example of why I say that. I wish I had even one fourth of your vocal delivery.

The lyric just flows so smoothly and each line leads so easily into the next. If I quoted the lines I enjoyed most, I'd simply repost the entire lyric. That was a real treat!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#602823 - 06/20/20 05:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: beatmaster]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Had a few of RW's singles back in the day. I do covers of "Durham Town" and "The Last Farewell" at some of my concerts. wink

#602912 - 06/20/20 04:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very pretty easy listening song, with a lovely vocal.

Very enjoyable.

Peter

#603067 - 06/21/20 07:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Chicago, IL
A very enjoyable listen on this one. I particularly like the vocal phrasing - you handle rather challenging word combinations with grace and style, and carry it off quite effortlessly. The choice of style and instruments is well suited to the song, and the melody just fits right in the pocket.

I concur with the other comments about the 70's sound, which I can definitely relate to, and which I like (when it is done well). I don't know enough Bread songs to say, but what I caught was a hint of "After the Lovin'" by Engelbert Humperdinck in a few places. Certainly not any infraction, just an influence.

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#603259 - 06/22/20 03:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Ghostgum, such pretty song with a great vocal! This puts me in mind of some of the great classic 70's ballads, Bread for instance. Love that twin lead break. Very good work! Thanks, Torrey

#604671 - 07/01/20 04:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really nice song Brian!! Really pretty melody and wonderful lyric! And you killed the vocal!! Reminds me of Don McLean a bit.....a high compliment in my book!! GREAT!! Take care. Greg

#604675 - 07/01/20 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Peter, Torrey, Greg: Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate your comments smile

#604796 - 07/02/20 08:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Was It Only Yesterday?" [Re: Ghostgum]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Beautiful folk tune, sung with an emotional voice that is mixed well - the sadness in the lyrics is clearly present. The instruments are well balanced.

Janne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32846 Members
68 Forums
66147 Topics
561655 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
AveryT, Hans Franz 12, Marik, midisynth, uhv14437@cuoly.c

32845 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 155