You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#607955 - 07/25/20 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome
Loc: Texas, United States
TexasFrets Offline
Enthusiast

YouTube: Your Paradise - Translitic Song Sketch
SoundCloud: Your Paradise - Translitic Song Sketch

July 25 2020 - Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch

===========================
TITLE: Your Paradise

TRACK & SONG INFO

Bass - 1122: Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 110
Accordion - 3045: Accordion, Rhythm KlezmerPopWaltz Ev 110
Drums - RealDrums=PopRockWaltzBrushes Ev: a: Brushes b: PopRockWaltz
Guitar - 1181:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking PopWaltz Ev 120

ev8, ¾, Cm, 110

In addition to the BIAB tracks above, I added the following:

Midi drum track in Superior Drummer
Midi bass track in Trilian
Keys (ethereal) track using Ethereal Earth in Kontakt
Keys (carnival) track using Kinetic Toys Carnival in Kontakt
Acoustic gypsy jazz guitar strumming track
Adjustments to the BIAB guitar track (and played over the top of it to make it sound more authentic)

VIDEO:

Me in my closet with a video overlay of a carousel near the Eiffel Tower.
LYRICS:

Draft 6

Send me a lover, send her tonight--
restless deeds, candy bowl full of lies
Take my hands, fold them hard so they pray
I won’t go down to a darkened grave

Won’t you take me to paradise
Soil in my heart but there’s fuel in my veins
I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

Grim marginalia--all these letters I write
Shaky time capsules--words frozen in flight
These worn yellow pages with their torn paper smiles
Caramelized wishes and crushed china dolls.

I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

Lime and gin, now we’re both dining thin,
eat that slaughtered meat of Christ’s broken limbs
See that b*tch of a sun, she’s sliding forward to greet
a new day of sins played out in the street

I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

Edited by TexasFrets (07/25/20 01:59 PM)

#607967 - 07/25/20 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Very nice song! The video is a bit quirky, but it fitted with song in a strange and unexpected way.

I love this part of your lyrics:

I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

Well written!
Will

#608005 - 07/25/20 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice atmospheric song, very evocative.

Excellent vocal and mix and video.

Well done all round.

Peter

#608020 - 07/25/20 09:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I'm probably corny, I know but, I did want to hear a little fairground/merry go round twinkling with the melody a little more clearly just here n there.
Part Tom Waites, Part Richard Hawley all very good.
There's the occasional phrasing spot that I'd tweak but that's me.
I'd also like a solo with a little aggression or bite just for a moment so that the ignition and the extinguishing were represented.
VERY cool.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#608040 - 07/26/20 05:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Todd,

Another good one.

Your lyric "process" produces vivid, interesting phrases and lines. I like it.

The music is well put together and nicely balanced. I thought the accordion could have been slightly louder.

Good vocal. Beefy and warm.

As Ray says, there is a (early) Tom Waits-ness to this (a good thing) - though a much better vocal smile

Cool stuff.

fj

#608059 - 07/26/20 07:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

A wonderful song, and so well sung. I like the carousel feel and sound, and agree it could be a bit louder in the mix. Still, subtle works well, too.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#608186 - 07/26/20 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Very nice, Todd.
I'm sure the echos of Tom Waits are no accident (love that bit of growl in your vocal) and personally I think the song would be even better with a hint of discord, as per much of his later work. But if smooth is what you were going for, you nailed it. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon

#608198 - 07/27/20 03:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Gary Weder Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Todd.
Brilliant song , loved it.

I'm a bit worried about you stuck in that closet. smile

#608264 - 07/27/20 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: Will Josef]
TexasFrets Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Very nice song! The video is a bit quirky, but it fitted with song in a strange and unexpected way.

I love this part of your lyrics:

I want to burn
with you tonight
I want to burn
in your paradise

Well written!
Will

Hey, Will. I'm glad you like those parts of the lyric. Yeah, the video is pretty quirky. I had an hour deadline before my video/song was due for my songwriting group, and this was my quick 30 min attempt at something to turn in. I ended up liking it though in all its weirdness. I imagine if I actually released this song, I'd have a better, more thought-out video. Thanks so much for listening and for your comments.

#608271 - 07/27/20 04:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I really like this. Your vocal was excellent as were your lyrics. I liked the backing tracks and everything was mixed to perfection.

This is a very good song.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#608354 - 07/28/20 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Fascinating...

The method of writing And resulting lyric

The arrangement

The Waits like vocal

All the tracks - RT’s and your additions

The closet vid

And to all the fascinating aspects we’ll add kudos for all the creativity!

J&B

#608357 - 07/28/20 09:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

That's good. I love the lyrical crafting involved. Those verses.... Wow!

Kinda like a sad gypsy clown melody going on... Reminds me of Tom Waits meets Cirque du Solei in a French cafe.

Really interesting song you got there

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#608446 - 07/28/20 10:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: TexasFrets]
Loc: Queensland, Australia
mkg50 (Mike G) Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Good song and performance, with fascinating lyrics. Love the Tom Waits influence.
The best comment so far: "Reminds me of Tom Waits meets Cirque du Solei in a French cafe" (from Guitarhacker).
Cheers,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172

#608724 - 07/30/20 02:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: PeterF]
TexasFrets Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nice atmospheric song, very evocative.

Excellent vocal and mix and video.

Well done all round.

Peter

Thanks, Peter, for your kind and supportive words. I'm really happy you like it. Thanks for giving it a listen. Cheers, Todd

#609198 - 08/02/20 06:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: rayc]
TexasFrets Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm probably corny, I know but, I did want to hear a little fairground/merry go round twinkling with the melody a little more clearly just here n there.
Part Tom Waites, Part Richard Hawley all very good.
There's the occasional phrasing spot that I'd tweak but that's me.
I'd also like a solo with a little aggression or bite just for a moment so that the ignition and the extinguishing were represented.
VERY cool.

Thanks so much, Ray, for your kind words. I've definitely thought about putting more of the fairground/merry go round music in there. I'll give that a try and see how it turns out.

Tom Waits came to mind when I was writing this--and obviously there is something of him in this particular voice I'm using. I hadn't heard of Richard Hawley though, and I'm thankful for you putting me onto him. I've been listening to him throughout the day and really enjoy his music.

I also felt like some of the phrasing needs to be tweaked. Some places my Tom Waitsy voice breaks into a different voice.

I also like your suggestion of a solo. I'll see what I come up with.

Thanks again for listening and for all your wonderful suggestions.

Cheers!

#609427 - Yesterday at 02:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Your Paradise - Feb 2020 Translitic song sketch - Actionable Feedback Welcome [Re: floyd jane]
TexasFrets Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Todd,

Another good one.

Your lyric "process" produces vivid, interesting phrases and lines. I like it.

The music is well put together and nicely balanced. I thought the accordion could have been slightly louder.

Good vocal. Beefy and warm.

As Ray says, there is a (early) Tom Waits-ness to this (a good thing) - though a much better vocal smile

Cool stuff.

fj

Hey, FJ. Thanks for giving my song a listen and for your kind words.

Yes, the translitic process can yield some interesting images and phrases. Sometimes they are jarring, but often they are nice and fresh and interesting. The trick is to smooth them out a bit with the revisions while not losing the immediacy and discovery they contribute to the song.

I'll give that a try--making the accordion louder--and see how it sounds. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm happy you heard an early Tom Waits in my song. I really like him--his early stuff especially.

Thanks again! Cheers, Todd

PG Music News
How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Refresh Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box 2020 to the latest build 725 for Windows today! This free update acknowledges song memo edits when saving your work, resolves step-advance within the Big Piano window, revives a killed audio track, and more!

Just like our recent Mac patch, the DAW Plugin has been updated too! We've added "insert" and "delete" options into the chord sheet context menu and addressed 20+ reported 'bugs'!

Learn more & update today!

Forum Stats
32598 Members
68 Forums
65512 Topics
555430 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Kevinuser, Beej, michaeldg3, lencrawl42, Provipgroup

32597 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 191