Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#611332 - 08/19/20 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Lovely Lie

We are big Lucinda Williams fans ... particularly her more gritty productions. This song is an attempt to illustrate her influences on us. Thanks to Peter for adding to the grit smile and to PG Music for enabling it all. Both your time to listen and comment are always welcome!

Janice: melody, vocals and arrangement
Bud: lyric, arrangement, mix, mastering, photo, etc.
Peter: guitar solos, fills and arrangement

Lyric is on SoundCloud

Tech Stuff:

Vocals Lead & harmony: Rodes NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X > Nectar 3 & Waves CLA Vocals

Bass RT 700: Electric PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085 > Waves Bass Rider > Neutron 3

Rhythm guitar RT 2904: GrittyBluesyPopBrent Ev 100 Direct Input > Logic Pro Boutique Retro Distort amp sim

Rhythm guitar RT 2677: Acoustic Rhythm BluesStraightBrent Ev 085 > EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

RealDrums: FunkSanFran: a: Snare, Kickb: Snare, Open Hihat > Waves CLA Drums

RealDrums: Doubled snare > Neutron 3 > EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

RealDrums: Doubled cymbal > Neutron 3 > EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

RealDrums: ShakerEven8ths > EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

DAW: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic Pro EQ > Waves Multi-Band Compressor > Waves L2 Limiter > Ozone Tonal Balance > Logic Pro Loudness Meter

© 2020 B. Merritt / J. Merritt / P. Fulham

#611343 - 08/19/20 07:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
My hat's off to all of you for such a good production. Gritty indeed!

Mike B.

#611360 - 08/19/20 11:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I always look forward to your work here, it brings me back to my golden days of listening to Bonnie Raitt, Maria Muldaur, Valerie Carter, LInda Ronstadt and NIcolette Larson. All top singers and you're right there with them! Excellent production as well, what a killer combination!

#611361 - 08/19/20 11:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi J,B&P
Another wonderful collaboration, worthy of its inspiration (I'm likewise a fan of Lucinda Williams). Nice lyric, good blend of guitar sounds and of course a great vocal. Quality all the way.
Regards,
Leon

#611381 - 08/20/20 05:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: cubanpete]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
My hat's off to all of you for such a good production. Gritty indeed!

Mike B.

Thanks Mike. Glad you noted the grit!

J&B

#611392 - 08/20/20 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

J&B + Peter,
Definitely a bit grittier than most of your offerings.
I was about to write "Gritty indeed", but Mike stole my comment smile
Sounds very natural. If I have not heard other tunes by you, I would imagine that this is your main style of music. Done very well. Instrumentals, vocals, guitars everything sounds in their places. Perfect mix. Spoken word was a nice touch. Reggae next? Seriously, I think it could be a fun project for the trio. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#611395 - 08/20/20 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
To my shame I have to admit I hadn't heard from Lucinda Williams before you mentioned her.
So I did some homework and listened to a couple of songs from her. From times ago and more recent stuff (still 3 years ago. Actually, while I'm writing this post I am listening to "Still I long for your kiss". But before that I listen to your beautiful rendition of Lovely Lie. Now there is another one: "Something About What Happens When We Talk". Very good. I think I'm getting addicted to lucindas' songs now!

I heard a close relation between your way of singing and hers, Janice. But there is of course a difference. Your voice is much more brighter and sounding younger. But some of your songs have a lot of resemblance with hers. So I understand why you are such a big fan of her. Has she invited you to sing along with her? She has to, I think.

Nevertheless, you did a very nice one with this song, the three of you! I have enjoyed what I heard, though the lyrics have a vile message.

Thanks,
Hans

#611396 - 08/20/20 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Janice / Bud / Peter,

WOW! This is absolutely stunning in its grit and beauty... A mind blowing vocal, arrangement and mix.

Congratulations to you all - this is something very special.

Bob

#611415 - 08/20/20 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: rsdean]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Peter,

WOW! This is absolutely stunning in its grit and beauty... A mind blowing vocal, arrangement and mix.

Bob

Yeah ... what Bob said! Not much I could add to that, as he summed it perfectly, to my way of thinking. Peter nailed the feel and Janice always performs at such a higher level than almost any singer. Bud, you always have that magic touch with the "knobs".

I'm just about out of superlatives ... yet none seem adequate.

Best to all three of you. Be safe ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#611430 - 08/20/20 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: TuneMonger]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I always look forward to your work here, it brings me back to my golden days of listening to Bonnie Raitt, Maria Muldaur, Valerie Carter, LInda Ronstadt and NIcolette Larson. All top singers and you're right there with them! Excellent production as well, what a killer combination!

Thank you. And you just mentioned a list of artists that we also admire and listen to.

Janice's says it is very humbling to be mentioned in the context of those singers and it is greatly appreciated! Also thanks for mentioning the production.

Be safe.

J&B

#611449 - 08/20/20 05:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
J & B you're my favourite duo on here. Constantly producing top notch songs. LOVE your harmonies Janice. Love to hear you doing a semi classic song sometime, I reckon your voice would suit ANY genre. Another winner in my view, great work from Peter too of course

#611459 - 08/20/20 06:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Leon1]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi J,B&P
Another wonderful collaboration, worthy of its inspiration (I'm likewise a fan of Lucinda Williams). Nice lyric, good blend of guitar sounds and of course a great vocal. Quality all the way.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you Leon. We’re glad to hear that you are a LW fan. You likely know about her poet father. She’s been a favorite of ours for 20+ years!

J&B

#611476 - 08/20/20 11:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Chris Dent Offline
Enthusiast

Really enjoyed listening to this. I like the way the two vocal lines work together.

#611497 - 08/21/20 05:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
J&B + Peter,
Definitely a bit grittier than most of your offerings.
I was about to write "Gritty indeed", but Mike stole my comment smile
Sounds very natural. If I have not heard other tunes by you, I would imagine that this is your main style of music. Done very well. Instrumentals, vocals, guitars everything sounds in their places. Perfect mix. Spoken word was a nice touch. Reggae next? Seriously, I think it could be a fun project for the trio. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks for listening and those very supportive comments. Hey, we’ve done several reggae tunes - all before you came to the forum. Here’s a link to what I consider our better effort.
https://soundcloud.com/mootsman/rewind-me

Thanks again!

J&B

#611554 - 08/21/20 01:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Derochette Offline
Journeyman

Hello Janice and Blud,
Well put together composition. The vocal is always pleasant with its blues tones.
It is always with pleasure that I listen to your songs.

Dero 13 alias JaniJackFlash

#611555 - 08/21/20 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Cranked up a bit, what a great listen. Loved the progression, the lyrics and melody, the band and voice(s) and the tasty leads and fills. Just a gets-under-your skin experience. Excellent.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#611561 - 08/21/20 03:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
You three hit another home run out of the park!

Blues at it absolute finest! You should put out a CD of blues, I know that I would buy it.

PS - everything else I wanted to say already has been said.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#611623 - 08/22/20 04:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Birchwood]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
To my shame I have to admit I hadn't heard from Lucinda Williams before you mentioned her.
So I did some homework and listened to a couple of songs from her. From times ago and more recent stuff (still 3 years ago. Actually, while I'm writing this post I am listening to "Still I long for your kiss". But before that I listen to your beautiful rendition of Lovely Lie. Now there is another one: "Something About What Happens When We Talk". Very good. I think I'm getting addicted to lucindas' songs now!

I heard a close relation between your way of singing and hers, Janice. But there is of course a difference. Your voice is much more brighter and sounding younger. But some of your songs have a lot of resemblance with hers. So I understand why you are such a big fan of her. Has she invited you to sing along with her? She has to, I think.

Nevertheless, you did a very nice one with this song, the three of you! I have enjoyed what I heard, though the lyrics have a vile message.

Thanks,
Hans

Thanks Hans. We are glad you had a chance to listen to her. Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone and World Without Tears are two of our favorite albums of her. We appreciate you listening and writing such generous comments!

J&B

#611631 - 08/22/20 05:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Janice,Bud & Peter, this is a song that is true to form of the Lucinda Americana genre. Just enough dirt in the production to produce authenticity. The vocal and harmony are rich and expressive and deliver the fine lyric with ease. The guitars have just enough hair on them to put the gravel into the bed. Great drum sound. Really nicely done by all three in your respective roles. Another one in a long line of great ones, Tom

Edited by tommyad (08/23/20 05:34 AM)

#611693 - 08/22/20 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lovely Lie (feat. Peter on guitar) [Re: rsdean]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Peter,

Bob

Thanks Bob! We had hoped you would like this one.

J&B

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 für Windows® ist hier!
Wir waren fleißig und haben 80 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 202 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI-SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums Transkriptionen, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 und vieles mehr!

Was ist neu? | Paket

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - New Intro Options!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 there are additional options for generating an intro!

Within Band-in-a-Box, choose Song Form | Generate Intro to see all the different options available:
-All Instruments
-Drums only
-Bass and Drums
-NEW! Bass only
-NEW! Bass then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Drums then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Piano Only
-NEW! Guitar Only
-NEW! Strings Only
-NEW! Custom - you pick!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Update Available!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to enhance Big Sur and M1 capabilities, improve the notation window, resolve AIFF rendering errors, as well as addressing a few other user-reported issues.

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac? Update for free today.

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021!

Already purchased PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021? Make sure you update it for free today!

Our development team has been listening to user feedback, and applied some updates to address user-reported program concerns.

Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® Guitar Features!

Today* is Get Out Your Guitar Day!

Band-in-a-Box® has many features for guitarists, whether you're learning or on your way to being a pro, or you are a pro!

Are you using an UltraPAK+ or own the Songs & Lessons PAK? Lessons from our Master Solos Series can be accessed right in the Practice Window! (Alt Shift L)

Use the resizable Guitar Window to follow-along with the on-screen fretboard, which is customizable to displays alternate guitar tunings, notes are highlighted as the song plays, and includes many more useful features for to help you learn!

The Woodshedding feature is perfect to help you progress while learning a song along with Band-in-a-Box®! This feature speeds up the song every time the song loops to the beginning, and you can also choose to loop a highlighted section within the song to really focus on the you could use a little more practice with.

Most of our guitar RealTracks include RealCharts so that you can see the notation and tab, allowing you to see exactly what the pros are playing!

A Band-in-a-Box® 2021 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition includes over 1,400 guitar RealTracks contributed by more than 50 different REAL musicians!

There are so many things a guitarist can do with Band-in-a-Box® - what's your favorite guitar feature? Do you have a "go-to" RealTracks Guitarist Artist you use for most of your songs?

*February 11, 2021

Big Sur & M1 Compatibility Added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac today!

Here at PG Music, development never stops! If you're using the 2020 version of Band-in-a-Box® for Mac with your Big Sur or a Mac M1 computer, download the latest update which adds support for macOS Big Sur, and is compatible with Apple Silicon (M1) Macs!

This update will also resolve any color display issues within the program, resize the windows without unexpectedly closing the program, add notation enhancements, and resolve a few other user-reported issues!

Download & learn more about the updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows for Free!

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows? Download the latest free update today!

With this latest update, notation display in Japanese has been enhanced, improvements have been applied to Bar and Song Settings, the MIDI volume change events will now be included in exported MIDI files, you can now import the lyrics with your MIDI files, export Utility Tracks notation as video, and we've resolved additional user-reported issues.

Make sure you download your latest Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows update today!

Tip: Head to Help | Check for Update... to put a checkmark beside "Automatically check for updates every..." and choose your day count to always stay up-to-date with your installation of Band-in-a-Box®!

Forum Stats
33968 Members
67 Forums
68359 Topics
586068 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Wes37, Testo Prime, E.I., planedriver, MisterAcoustic

33968 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 224
dcuny 183
Matt Finley 160
Al-David 139
MusicStudent 138
Jim Fogle 132
VideoTrack 126
Janice & Bud 124
floyd jane 86
eddie1261 83
Today's Birthdays
Adriano, Basari Studios, Edward Marcel, medioalmud, Reno Rendezvous, Richard Persike