something's out of whack
   completely
   what's a girl like that
   doing down here
   on the wrong side of the tracks
   with a guy like me

The BAND:

RealTracks in song: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2444:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background PopCountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycPopBalladArpVibChorus Ev 065 (Held)
RealTracks in song: 873:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockFunkyOffbeat Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1841:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3441:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritPsycRockMarch Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 3203:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
Royalty Free Loops

Some harmonies generated using the Helicon TC plugin in RealBand
Me: vocals, additional harmonies, art work

Feel free to comment on any aspect.
(you, too, Dan wink )

Thanks for listening.

fj

#612846 - 08/29/20 05:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Love the drumtro, this is a little poppier than you usually run. Kind of a country version of Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. This exudes your usual excellence, a very enjoyable listen.

#612864 - 08/29/20 06:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,
This is so well done: an irresistible beat with simple backing that highlights the vocal sticking close to such a catchy melody... that brief burst of heavy guitar was a surprise but it fits.
When grandpa`s country began to fuse with pop I began to listen more; no doubt others more expert will hear your influences- I was taken back to the time I heard Kostas performing his own very pop flavoured cool country songs. This is that good!

Robert

#612874 - 08/29/20 07:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Floyd ...

Another musical masterpiece. I say that a lot when I listen to your songs. But the good part is I don't have to lie or exaggerate to say it.

I get the feel of Brooks and Dunn in today's country market if they were still recording together.

Rather simple backing to a nice, straight-forward lyric - yet sounding full and energetic. Just more proof that a contemporary country sound can be composed in BIAB.

Excellent song and a great listen!

Best to you, Be safe ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#612885 - 08/29/20 08:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Well...thirty minutes or more after listening, it's still playing in my head. Brilliant production well mixed, poppy melody well sung, Best of all, written to sing. Punchy as all get-out. Fantastic.

Of course, it's all nonsense in my life. She's the one who's lucky to be hanging out with such a sopfastracuted...err...sophriskercated...whatever. I tell her that every day, and she laughs. Prolly with joy at her luck.

Edited by Tangmo (08/29/20 08:34 PM)
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#612886 - 08/29/20 08:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
jptjptjpt Online   content
Journeyman

Old country is the best country. I like this. Catchy chorus. Good lyrics. Such a clear recording. The band sounds good.

#612894 - 08/29/20 10:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Band sounds great, as does the lead singer (and his clones).

Love the use of space and ebb and flow of the dynamics.

I don't follow current pop or country, so I've got no reference point, but it's catchy no matter how old the listener. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#612897 - 08/30/20 12:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
floyd

Superb dynamics, build, melody. lyric and a wonderfully polished performance.

Loved the great intro and outro.

A true pleasure to listen to.

Peter

#612901 - 08/30/20 12:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
You've become an ace with loops. Impressive.
Not grampa's or grandma's but they'd have like the hooks and story.
OUTSTANDING.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#612914 - 08/30/20 02:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, that was different!

I like the more modern approach you use on this one, really works well in my opinion.

Nice dynamics throughout, great intro and ending (I love that attention to detail).

Good hook, very catchy, and it's one that will stay with the listener long after the song is over.

Love your vocal, and really like what you did at the end with it.

Mix sounds great too of course wink

Really good, floyd, one of my favorites from you I think.

#612916 - 08/30/20 03:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Loved it. From the beginning to the solo in the middle to the very end. What's the point of taking apart (to analyse) something as good as this? Forget it - I just loved it, full stop. You overflow with talent. Bravo.

#612930 - 08/30/20 05:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Nice dynamics, rhythmically interesting and the catchy chorus are the highlight of this pop tune. And of course the message is almost universal - I was thinking about excluding arranged marriages, but actually that could be the explanation here wink

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#612952 - 08/30/20 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: TuneMonger]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Love the drumtro, this is a little poppier than you usually run. Kind of a country version of Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. This exudes your usual excellence, a very enjoyable listen.

Thanks, TM. Sometimes I let my poppier side take over... smile

#612954 - 08/30/20 07:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Derochette Offline
Apprentice

Hello Floyd Jane,
Very endearing lyrics. The voice is superb with a simple but terribly effective arrangement. Well done

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

#612966 - 08/30/20 09:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
**SPEECH TO TEXT WARNING**

I find this song odd for one specific reason. It shouldn't exist! From what I've heard, BIAB can't do what you just made it do. Maybe you need to remember that you can't do what you just did the next time you plan on doing it again. wink

Seriously, PG Music has to have a smile on this one. What a great song!

You know many times a write an encyclopedia set on your songs...and feel I still leave things out.

Major CROSSOVER appeal! The lyrics are timeless. So, it could have been written years/decades ago, or today. Awesome!

The rhyme structure to melodic deliver works so well! Placement is so important. Not only within the lyrical structure; but creating melodies that keep it interesting. Masterfully done. Though, I'm not surprise. wink

Great sounds from BIAB and loop choice is right on point. It fits what you are going for in my opinion.

That brings in the topic of overall production. Nice! Really really well done. I feel sometimes people thing production is tweaking the knobs to get a better mix in the effects rack.

What you showed is production. With production, if you don't what you are doing; it very obvious. If you do, it's actually not as obvious to the regular listener. It's all those little things to keep the ear interested. It's knowing when to make a bold production statement, and when to pull it back...to make a bold production statement. It's understanding how EQ and effects have to live in harmony with the arrangement, lyrics, and overall song writing. It's knowing the rules and knowing when to bend or even break them. When done correctly, it sounds almost effortless. To the point where, a good portion of song writers would feel "I could write a song like that" without even realizing what is involved. Where am I going with all of this? You just put on full display ALL of those understandings in a masterful way in 3m7secs.

I would say, "I'm impressed" but I think that is a given with you songs. So, from the Department of Redundancy Department, I thank you again for another forum changing song!
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#612975 - 08/30/20 09:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

Floyd,

Fantastic. For a guy like me... you're setting the bar on songwriting and using BIAB as a production tool.

Cheers,

Frank

#613019 - 08/30/20 05:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

FJ,
Punchy tune. Yet, I like that it is not too busy instrumentally, so focus goes to overall composition and vocals, not just loop hooks. Vocals and airy mix are excellent! (It is hard to picture bad mix from you smile ) Sometimes we get carried away with all the cool tracks and jam things in, forgetting that we are only humans. I like the rest, you made at 0:54, giving time to regroup & repeating at the end. Nice one! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#613038 - 08/30/20 07:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Floyd
Very engaging tune. Your pop side clearly has plenty to offer. Sheer class all the way, as per usual.
Regards,
Leon

#613064 - 08/31/20 06:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: Robertkc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
This is so well done: an irresistible beat with simple backing that highlights the vocal sticking close to such a catchy melody... that brief burst of heavy guitar was a surprise but it fits.
When grandpa`s country began to fuse with pop I began to listen more; no doubt others more expert will hear your influences- I was taken back to the time I heard Kostas performing his own very pop flavoured cool country songs. This is that good!

Robert

Robert - thanks for the nice comments.

A very nice surprise that you know the name "Kostas". Can't imagine that many do. An amazing writer (in the golden era of amazing writers - and the last of them getting their just rewards...)

#613072 - 08/31/20 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Girl Like That [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cool tune. Sounds like something that plays on the radio these days.

Good job. I'll listen on some cans later.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Forum Stats
33267 Members
67 Forums
66392 Topics
568803 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HiTide, Lucverleure, Afrolatinlounge, 2Large, Spectrumit

33266 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 264
Matt Finley 250