Options
Index
#618591 - 10/10/20 03:01 PM [User Showcase] ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi all,

Recently as I was listening to songs in the forum, I was inspired to post something. It’s been a while since my last effort. Anyway… here’s that “something”. I hope you enjoy it.

The lyrics are on Soundcloud.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song or its presentation.

Regards,
Noel

Music Notes

Base Style (later modified): _TRAVELS.STY

The Musicians
3122: Bass, Acoustic
3399: Guitar, Acoustic (doubled; fully panned: one left, one right)
3372: Banjo
3424: Jaw Harp

Piano
MIDI SuperTracks: 2105:Piano, Rhythm
EZKeys: Studio Grand, Mellow Chorus

Orchestral Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Drums
RealDrums: Tambourine EV16
EZDrummer 2: Modern, Tape Filter (Songwriter Pack 4)

Processing plugins (other than Reaper's)
Vocals: iZotope Nectar 3
Mix: iZotope Ozone 9
Guitars: CLA Unplugged (Waves)
Bass: Renaissance Bass (RBass, Waves)
Other: MAutoPan (Melda Productions, free)

#618611 - 10/10/20 05:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Pretty good song!
As I listened , I was thinking of this:
That's a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNZMiYo_4s

Edited by CaptainMoto (10/10/20 05:28 PM)

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#618615 - 10/10/20 06:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: CaptainMoto]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Pretty good song!
As I listened , I was thinking of this:
That's a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNZMiYo_4s

Hi CaptainMoto,

Thanks for having a listen. I sincerely appreciate it.

And thanks for posting the link to this Harry Chapin classic! I can hear a timbre in his clip that is a bit like an underlying timbre in my mix.

When I put my vocals together, I used Nectar_3's "Saturation" to add some "Tape" saturation. This seemed to make my voice sound warmer and a bit better, so I kept it. I'm pretty sure that that's the underlying component that I can hear.

Once again, thanks!
Noel

#618652 - 10/11/20 06:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
You always put absolutely everything into your productions.

This, of course is not exception.

What a inventive selection for your orchestra. Clever.

Musically just so creative. Jackson, the one that the children look up to. Somehow I can think of who Jackson really is.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#618658 - 10/11/20 07:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Really liked this..vocal nice and clear...and the lyric--I wish I knew the backstory on this!
Excellent production and enjoyable listen.
Noel..did you consider adding some actual jaw-harp phrases? I once had that thought but gave up on either trying to record it myself or finding a vst sample that was decent.

Thanks for posting!

#618660 - 10/11/20 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
This is not "just" superb, but, to my ears at least, genius. The melody and lyrics effortlessly tell the story - it's captivating, almost hypnotic! I loved it. Bravo.

My music on Amazing Radio USA

#618699 - 10/11/20 12:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago, IL
Noel - This is a very polished production, no surprise there. Everything really works and fits well and is balanced, and nicely spaced and separated. I hope you don't mind, but I feel like this song would be perfect in a children's movie with Jackson traveling through a countryside, on long roads, riding a horse or in a wagon trying to find a place where he and his jaw harp belong. It just evokes that kind of vision.

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#618715 - 10/11/20 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Noel

Lovely uplifting song. Inventive use of jaws harp and a very memorable singable chorus (almost theatrical).

Hope you are doing well down there in Victoria.

Excellent work on a wonderful production.

Peter

#618748 - 10/11/20 09:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Superb cut. I love that chorus. Very touching song. Great vocals. The jaw harp is the perfect touch.

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#618751 - 10/11/20 10:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Jackson doesn't sound like he's contributing much to the national GDP. I like him. And I like your song about him. Visual and appealing. The strings were especially effective for me, though it's always your vocals and their "smile" that gets me.

Yes, it's been a while, but you've brought a gem with you. Big smiles here.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#618753 - 10/11/20 10:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Noel,

Noel Melody is alive vividly in this tune.
This melody is exactly you.
Lovely and uplifting.
Great Vocals.
The narrative part is also wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618764 - 10/12/20 01:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
The Title made me think it's was a Johnny Cash medley/cover.
I REALLY enjoyed the spoken interlude...I'd not heard your speaking voice before. Full n rich.
Great narrative and lush accompaniment.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#618803 - 10/12/20 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Welcome back Noel. Your positivity has always been something to look forward to.

A stroll around a lovely countryside with Jackson would be refreshing indeed especially during these times.

For decades in our state there was a gentleman who roamed throughout small towns
and the country side in a wooden cart pulled by goats. Folks always looked forward
to his appearance and children were charmed. Very reminiscent.

That is a fine vocal, spoken word and a heckuva good lyric/melody to deliver them with.

The band is both simple and perhaps counterintuitively very nuanced. We are sure it took a lot of thought and effort to envision the tracks and mix. The mix is open, airy and sparkles -- the kind we much like.

And thanks for the production details!

We would assuredly like to meet Jackson. Enjoyed it!

J&B

#618809 - 10/12/20 09:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Very well done - nice and uplifting, and very lush, I agree with Janice/Bud about the airy production. It has an almost delicate quality to it, which I loved.

Thanks for sharing smile

#618815 - 10/12/20 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Noel ...

It's so dang good to have you back posting. Anytime you're away for any period of time, there's a bit of a vacuum on the forum. And what a nice reentry song!

As someone previously mentioned, you songs are always so polished and every detail attended to. This might be your best vocal thus far. I doubt there's anything else that could make this a better song. But several re-listens make me feel better.

Jackson sounds like quite the character ... a man of gentle repose and a natural charm. this really a great song with a super lyric and equally talented band. That was a joy to listen to!

Wishing you the very best. Please take care and be safe ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#618846 - 10/12/20 01:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel,

Good to see you posting in the Showcase again!

Maybe it's Noel, the wayward wind.

"He walks with a smile on his weathered face
And when you look in his eyes
In the gentle brown-eyed gaze
You see the patience of a man who’s wise"

I'm thinking this is autobiographical. Jackson, like the Noel we all know and love, has a great positive attitude about the world and what might lie ahead.

A nice production, a good mix. A clean, bright, cheerful vocal - commanding attention.

A story well-told.

fj

#618918 - 10/13/20 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Welcome back Noel!
This has all the positivity we expect from your songwriting with a lovely uplifting melody that matches the storyline so well.
Fine vocals and a good string arrangement.
Jackson reminds me of a busker I met in my home town after being away many years; playing beautiful folky ballads to almost deserted streets on a wintry English Sunday.I still have his tape and count him one of my musical heroes.

Robert

#619044 - 10/14/20 09:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: VideoTrack]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You always put absolutely everything into your productions.

This, of course is not exception.

What a inventive selection for your orchestra. Clever.

Musically just so creative. Jackson, the one that the children look up to. Somehow I can think of who Jackson really is.

Hey Trev!

Thanks for dropping in. It's always good to see you.

When I set about trying to arrange this song, I wanted to use some of the more unusual Realtracks that I've never played with. I seriously tried incorporating both the Spoons Realdrums by Andrew Morris and well as the Jaw Harp by Quinn Bachand. Unfortunately, the Spoons and I could not come to an agreement. The Jaw Harp, though, that worked. It also made me smile every time I listened. So I kept it.

Thanks again for the visit.
Noel

#619080 - 10/14/20 02:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really pretty song Noel!! And such a creative subject for a write.....so original!! Everything sounds great to me!! Take care. Greg

#619106 - 10/14/20 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Was so happy to see your song pop up on the forum. Your song are so inspirational. Very nice to hear during these trouble tunes. Some cool effects in the background. Super vocal and lyric Well done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34895 Members
66 Forums
70900 Topics
614128 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
map23, KrystalRobinson, Sachmo, DeborahRoughton, SMC

34894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 210
swingbabymix 203