Options
Index
#627055 - 12/02/20 02:16 PM [User Showcase] Tear Me
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Tear Me

For this song, I tried to create a persona who is in a dark place. I'm still working on the mix. Don't know if the volume on the vocal is right.

Real Tracks:
RT1814 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CelticAir
RT2870 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticAirDave
RT2482 Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held
RT3267 Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie

Lyrics:

Hide me from the sun
Walk along the broken limbs
Here lies everything we’ve done
Among the fallen seraphim

From this empty space
You can’t hear me
No one will ever know
How much you tear me and tear me.

Wrap me in tattered sheets
Throw me into the abyss
I only touch you when I sleep
Let me live unconsciousness

From this empty space
You can’t hear me
No one will ever know
How much you tear me and tear me.

From this empty space
You can’t hear me
You’ll do what you’ll do
You tear me. You tear me.

#627085 - 12/02/20 04:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Nice!
Evocative lyrics.
Nice mix.

Vocals sound good to me.
How did you get the backing vocals, they are just enough to add some depth when they come in.
Well done!

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#627092 - 12/02/20 05:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi Scott
A dark place indeed, beautifully conjured up. The vocal level sounds good to me (as does the whole song). Never heard 'tear' used as a verb before - very creative.
Regards,
Leon

#627107 - 12/02/20 05:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

Hi Ezekiel.
I always learn new words from your lyrics (seraphim). I can imagine this song in a Broadway or West End " Fiddler on the Roof" type musical.
I have mentioned this before that your voice reminds me of Edwyn Collins with a touch of Johnny Cash.
If you would indulge me one small 2¢ : The word "tear" is used with two different meanings (at least that's how I hear it). I would prefer they were both used in the same context.
I have listened to this a few times and it gets better with each listen. Lyrics , BV's , mix , a totally absorbing , compelling , atmospheric and beautiful piece of music. Well done.

#627115 - 12/02/20 06:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
beautiful song, hauntingly sung. All that needs be said.

#627126 - 12/02/20 08:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Very cool song. You've created a dark atmosphere with the music, vocals and lyrics. Everything works well together. Nice mix too. Do I hear a second vocal on the harmony? The band hit their mark too.

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#627145 - 12/02/20 08:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Ezekiel,

You definitely created the right mood for the lyric—target hit square. I think the vocal sits just fine in the mix. I’m wondering though if it might help with a bit more reverb and/or delay, maybe to suggest his aloneness/emptiness. Just a thought.

Really like the harmonies you added on the chorus—nicely done. Enjoyed this one a lot!

Best regards,

Deej

#627155 - 12/02/20 10:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nicely sung! A bit of a '60s vibe to it.

The sparse instrumentation works nicely.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#627158 - 12/02/20 10:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very moody and atmospheric.
The vocal sounds good level wise, and an impressive performance.

I agree it could fit nicely in a stage play.

Nice work.

Peter

#627260 - 12/03/20 08:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Vocals sound fine to me, and love those harmonies during the chorus.

Great sounding track, good choice of instrumentation. Love the dark mood!

Nicely done, enjoyed!

P.S. learned a new word, "seraphim" wink

#627408 - 12/03/20 06:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
I think this is an excellent vocal Scott. Love the acoustic framing your vocal. Well done

#627416 - 12/03/20 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Ezekiel's Storm,
Very unusual and emotional song. Yes, sure dark, but silky smooth. Composition and arrangement A+. Strong lyrics. Excellent vocals! Actually, to my taste, one of your best. Perhaps mix has to do something with that too, as vocals are not way high, nor they are hiding deep in the mix. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#627525 - 12/04/20 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"Wrap me in tattered sheets
Throw me into the abyss
I only touch you when I sleep
Let me live unconsciousness"

Powerful.

An excellent write.

A strong vocal. Wrapped in the perfect instrumentation. Moody and dark done well. Good BGVs.

Super.

fj

#627557 - 12/04/20 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Excellent choice with the bowed bass. It fills with a dirge-like bottom. Your vocal is )(as always) outstanding, Ezekiel. This is a great write and production. The vox sits perfectly in the mix. Woudn't change a thing.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#627605 - 12/04/20 11:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Scott,

This sounds really good man.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#627678 - 12/04/20 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: TuneMonger]
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice!
Evocative lyrics.
Nice mix.

Vocals sound good to me.
How did you get the backing vocals, they are just enough to add some depth when they come in.
Well done!

moto

Hey there, Cap'n Moto: I used Meladyne for the harmony instead of the BIAB harmonizer because it creates weird "twirps (I don't know what to call them) with he harmony vocals and with Meladyne, I can write the harmony I want.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Scott
A dark place indeed, beautifully conjured up. The vocal level sounds good to me (as does the whole song). Never heard 'tear' used as a verb before - very creative.
Regards,
Leon

Leon, thanks for the comment. "Tear" can be used as a verb as in "Her eyes were tearing," but I broke a little rule by following "tear" with "me"; however, I consider that my poetic license. :-)

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Ezekiel.
I always learn new words from your lyrics (seraphim). I can imagine this song in a Broadway or West End " Fiddler on the Roof" type musical.
I have mentioned this before that your voice reminds me of Edwyn Collins with a touch of Johnny Cash.
If you would indulge me one small 2¢ : The word "tear" is used with two different meanings (at least that's how I hear it). I would prefer they were both used in the same context.
I have listened to this a few times and it gets better with each listen. Lyrics , BV's , mix , a totally absorbing , compelling , atmospheric and beautiful piece of music. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback, Gary. I had Johnny Cash in my head when I wrote this.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
beautiful song, hauntingly sung. All that needs be said.

Tunemonger, thank you so much, my northern neighbor!

#627732 - 12/04/20 05:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very darkly beautiful!! One of my faves from you!! Perfect arrangement and delivery!! Take care. Greg

#627749 - 12/04/20 06:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Chris Dent Offline
Apprentice

Excellent lyrics and nicely sung.

#627998 - 12/05/20 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very cool song. You've created a dark atmosphere with the music, vocals and lyrics. Everything works well together. Nice mix too. Do I hear a second vocal on the harmony? The band hit their mark too.

Hey, jpt, thanks for the comments. There's just one vocal in the harmony.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Ezekiel,

You definitely created the right mood for the lyric—target hit square. I think the vocal sits just fine in the mix. I’m wondering though if it might help with a bit more reverb and/or delay, maybe to suggest his aloneness/emptiness. Just a thought.

Really like the harmonies you added on the chorus—nicely done. Enjoyed this one a lot!

Best regards,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. I was worried that I might be putting in too much reverb. I will play around with what you suggested and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nicely sung! A bit of a '60s vibe to it.

The sparse instrumentation works nicely.

David, Thanks. I guess I'm always stuck a bit in the 60s musically.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
I think this is an excellent vocal Scott. Love the acoustic framing your vocal. Well done

Scott, thanks for the comment and listen!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ezekiel's Storm,
Very unusual and emotional song. Yes, sure dark, but silky smooth. Composition and arrangement A+. Strong lyrics. Excellent vocals! Actually, to my taste, one of your best. Perhaps mix has to do something with that too, as vocals are not way high, nor they are hiding deep in the mix. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. I think I am beginning to figure out some of the EQ stuff, even though I can't hear it.

#628059 - 12/05/20 09:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tear Me [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
The vocal level is fine for the timbre of your voice except when the cello overlaps it...you might want to automate a little EQ subtraction of the cello in those spots.
The tag line of tear and tear falls flat on my ears as the saline drop isn't a convincing verb on its own, (and not a verb in the true sense either). It needs up, "tear up" or something with it to force the issue.
Other than that I dig it.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34895 Members
66 Forums
70900 Topics
614128 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
map23, KrystalRobinson, Sachmo, DeborahRoughton, SMC

34894 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 210
swingbabymix 203