Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#649896 - 04/03/21 06:00 AM [User Showcase] Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Another song from the old days remade with Band in a Box, and a little help from my friends. Comments are always welcomed. Even ones like, "Well, the woodblock was the best part."

Midnight Train on SoundCloud
Midnight Train on YouTube The photos were all taken in Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA, USA.

Style is _TEASIN.STY (Teasin Blues Shuffle)

RealTracks in style: 2889:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleMike Sw 085
Loop in Song: Drums\BluesShuffleHard^1-HiHat,Ride
RealTracks in song: 2535:Guitar, Electric, HeldChords Gritty
Loop in Song: Drums\WoodblocksSw[single]^4-pattern4
RealDrums [in style:BluesShuffle^3-a:Brushes, Swirl , b:Brushes, HiHat

Dave Bell did the lead guitar work. I played bass and sang (tried Melodyne, but I'm no better with that than I am singing, so pitchiness stays, but I did work on the sibilance). Thanks to the insiration of MarioD and others here, I bought a midi controller to add a couple (way in the background) tracks.

Midnight Train

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll down the tracks, then do it again.
We're gonna sing when the pipe is passed 'cuz anyday could be the last.
I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then
We'll be flyin' down the railroad track with little chance for looking back.
Or looking out. Look out.

CH: Baby. Baby, I love you, 'though the train we're on is goin' nowhere.
My one-track mind is thinking of you. As long as I'm with you I don't care.

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll, baby, then do it again.
And when the cats see the cows come home, baby, you won't be alone.
You'll be with me. Alright, I'll rock, you roll. SOLO

We'll pass the planes, curve up the mountainside.
The other trains -whew! We'll seem to pass 'em by.
And when the clouds clear away the smoke,
we'll be laughing at this joke -just you and me. Ha HA!
CH

I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then.
We'll be singin' when the cats come home. Baby, you won't be alone.
Listen to that engine groan on our way back home.

Oh, yeah, yeah. We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
Rock 'n' roll. We'll do it and do it again.
We're gonna rock 'n' roll on the Midnight Train,
do another bowl, and then we'll go insane.
Rock 'n' roll is gonna see us through cuz it thrills my soul just to be with you.
Ref.: We're gonna rock -woowoo-- on the Midnight Train. You rock; I'll roll. Woowoo. We're gonna go insane

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#649963 - 04/03/21 02:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#649969 - 04/03/21 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.

#649970 - 04/03/21 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!

#649972 - 04/03/21 03:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#649980 - 04/03/21 05:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej

#649993 - 04/03/21 07:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.

#650042 - 04/04/21 06:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: dcuny]
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh

Thanks, David. Haha. That gargle is me (accidently) imitating Bobby Blue Bland. He'd do that and the girls would go crazy. Never understood it, but...

Originally Posted By: rayc
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.

Thanks, Ray. That opening bass was a quick pan from left to center. I tried that with Dave's opening and the ending to give a doppler effect, but it really didn't work.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Ember. Those Utility Tracks is a brilliant idea, and so easy to work with. Now I have to worry about creating that dreaded Phil Spector Wall Of Sound.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.

Haha, Right, Herb? That must mean you mastered the triangle too. You stuff is always a treat to listen to.

#650067 - 04/04/21 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert

#650084 - 04/04/21 01:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Belgium
Derochette Offline
Expert

Loc: Belgium
Hi BabuMusic,

This is really well done. Your composition is very dancing and the arrangement pleasant. I enjoyed the guitar solo and the choir.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Edited by Derochette (04/04/21 01:30 PM)

#650128 - 04/05/21 01:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
I can imagine this midnight train, hot night "You rock; I'll roll", "one-track mind". Excellent fun lyrics.
Dave's mood matching solo, the colorful and expressive vocals mixed well, the excellent backing band, nothing to complain on this railroad ride. And the woodblock was almost the best part, nice addition wink

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#650131 - 04/05/21 02:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Marty / Dave, this is excellent! Great song and vocal - blistering guitar!

Loved it!

Bob

#650133 - 04/05/21 03:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
vicarn Offline
Expert

You sounded like you enjoyed this one. I did too.

Vic

#650192 - 04/05/21 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Marty,

You did it again with your song; making me smile and even tap my feet (both).
I liked the start of your song very much. Very cool how you imagined that train!
And of course Dave had a very beautiful solo.
Loved your midnight train, man!

Hans

#650246 - 04/05/21 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Marty

Some of the best woodblock playing I've ever heard.

Great song, really engaging - nice photos as well.

The bass and Dave's guitar were superb.

Excellent all round work.

Peter

#650285 - 04/06/21 05:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: Deej56]
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Glad you liked that opening. I tried panning the end of Dave's opening for a continued doppler effect, but it wasn't right musically. Thanks also for overlooking the pitchiness. Melodyne just flashes "Really? Are you serious?"

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.

Thanks, Misha. Dave's guitar can make any song better. What's cool is how one of us already has a part done when the other gets to lay down a track. It amazes me how well we play together when we're not together. He is a master. I had planned to change my bass after I got his solo, but he played so well with what was there, that I had to let it go.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. There is currently a bottleneck of new stuff sitting half baked in BiaB waiting for some creative attention.

#650300 - 04/06/21 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Marty,

Cool rockin' Blues song.

Excellent vocal! And bass! (of course!!!).
Dave's guitar is smokin' (as always).

Excellent mix.

Toe-tappin' fun. Much enjoyed.

fj

#650326 - 04/06/21 11:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

It's dawned on me what your writing style seems to be. You write a lyric like I cuss. You know all the "words" and it's at least possible your listener has as well. But you arrange them and present them in ways that make the ear perk and the smile break. Cool.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#650420 - 04/06/21 08:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Well done. Good rocker. Good base line, fine electric guitar playing, and the band chugged alone in time. Cool photos on the video too. Good production folks.

#650519 - 04/07/21 12:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell [Re: BabuMusic]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA

We are train fans so we were in from the get go.

Loved the vid phots -- cool fx on them. Nice group photo smile

The operative word here is FUN.

Say whatcha will about the vocals but they always sound passionate and sincere to us.

Great guitar and bass performances keep this thing chuggin' right along.

Enjoyed both the video and SC versions!

J&B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Take a look at our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

In this video, we demonstrate how to use some of the newest features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2023, including Partial Re-Generation, Undo Track/Song Regeneration, Playable RealTracks, Master Track Automation, and more!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows DAW Plugin Version 5.0, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog and much more!

The DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows, we're creating videos summarizing the new features, explaining new features in detail, and showcasing the new Add-ons!

Whether it's a summary of the new features, demonstrations of the 222 new RealTracks, information on the 2023 49-PAK, demonstrations of our new XPro Styles PAK 4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15, or detailed tutorials for other Band-in-a-Box® 2023 features, we have you covered!

Reference this forum post for One-Stop Shopping of our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - we will be updating this post as more videos are added!

RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Forum Stats
36786 Members
64 Forums
76273 Topics
674368 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
firesoundwave, D rose, salvomado1, acush, robg

36786 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 248
Matt Finley 197