Page 1 of 2 1 2
#673757 09/19/21 03:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Take It Or Leave Me on Soundcloud
Take It Or Leave Me on YouTube

Revisiting this song was inspired by Bob Dean with his Like A Girl post where he mentions digging out the old outakes and lost songs and updating them. Back in the 90s the title Take It Or Leave Me seemed like someting to write about, but what exactly she needed to take was uncertain. I eventually made a BiaB version to show others what I wanted to record. On the original version I played the chords on an acoustic guitar held upright with the rhythm tapped on the strings with a wooden pencil. Kinda sounded cool, but here I replaced that with steel drums.

After settling on the Tex-Mex style, the rest of the song took a new shape. I like the RealDrums in the style, but the shaker was too enthusiastic at times so I had to cut and paste a few sections to tame it. The 12-string sometimes used 2 positions of the same chord in a measure (which I didn't want) so I switched it to a Utility track and cut and pasted what I wanted. Usually I like to do my own bass, not because it's better but because it's fun. The BiaB bass was interesting so I kept it.

1st V -- he tells his new love how they should handle the inevitable disagreements,
2nd V -- he explains why and how deeply he feels that way
3rd V -- he tells how their future would be
Happy ending: she stayed for 44 years so far.

Take It Or Leave Me

Listen for the beats between the falling
of a heart in love and when it stops its beat,
and learn to heed the voice inside that's calling
out a warning to keep love in your retreat.

CH: Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me.
Take it from the voice inside that tells you the way.
Nothing that you've done or do adulterates that voice in you.
Take it from you to be with me, my love.

Standing like statue of salvation
is an old soul that my memory knows as Truth,
and etched so deep in my imagination
is a message to remind me of my youth. CH - SOLO

Open up and step inside Forever.
There's a calmness there that takes your breath away.
Then, looking out, we'll both belong together
in a way that only fairy tales dare say. CH

REF: You gotta take it or leave me right now.

Style is _VARAR.STY (Varar Tex-Mex with Steel Drum)
RealTracks in style: 1293:Bass, Electric, TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3611:Steel Drum, Rhythm SocaAB Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: 1294:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3171:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CampfireEven Ev 120
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop124bpm Conga 8ths 4 bars fill at end.wma
RealTracks in song: 3756:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopFunkySoulBrent Ev16 095
RealDrums [in style:TexMexCountryEv8^1-a:Groove, Shaker & Scrapper , b:Ride, Shaker & Scrapper
Utility track: 2534 Guitar 12-string acoustic held

I'm so grateful for all your help here, and appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Hi Marty.

No-one can sell a song like you can!! That chorus is stuck in my brain " Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me."
Will it wear off soon ? : ) . I can imagine this as a Reggae style song.
Sorry for the brevity of this post but it's late and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.
regards
Gary.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wonderful turn of phrase. I've come to expect that. Great little island combo you assembled. Delivery was super...not overly dramatic or serious, but playful. It puts me in touch with "a" way to imagine this relationship and never beats me into submission to feel it another way, though it's possible to do so. I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me reading it back.

My only crit is that the bass keeps going in and out. smile

[an inside joke, showcase]

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

An excellent listen. Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Good write. Excellent instrumentation and arrangement. Mix is superb. Nice vocals.

Well done. Much enjoyed.

I like it!!

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

You put up a wide variety of material. This seems to be a blending styles and you pulled it off! If you decided to keep the BIAB bass in this it must be good considering how good a bassist you are! It's an enjoyable tune with a great vocal! You always deliver in that department! You are such a valuable member of this community and I appreciate what you do! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The steel drums on the chorus made the song for me. Broke things up between verse and chorus perfectly. Song was strong and the vox were right on. A very good effort!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The lilt of the beginning reminded me of Gerry & The Pacemakers.
Of course that all changed in the chorus.

Shades of Jimmy Buffet a light breezy arrangement and up melody with a slightly sadder story.

You didn't play bass on this?

Good band, really good melody and a fab song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty,

This is great! I love the song and your presentation of it. It's a very engaging listen.

The Jamaican-Island feel of the chorus was a standout for me. I have never tried to use the Steel Drums RTs but you've inspired me to give them a go.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Man, I am so stealing that! floyd nailed it I think cool

Good song my friend, nice mix too.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Marty.

No-one can sell a song like you can!! That chorus is stuck in my brain " Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me."
Will it wear off soon ? : ) . I can imagine this as a Reggae style song.
Sorry for the brevity of this post but it's late and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.
regards
Gary.

haha Thanks, Gary. It's never too late to hear such warm comments. Take 2 choruses and call me in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful turn of phrase. I've come to expect that. Great little island combo you assembled. Delivery was super...not overly dramatic or serious, but playful. It puts me in touch with "a" way to imagine this relationship and never beats me into submission to feel it another way, though it's possible to do so. I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me reading it back.

My only crit is that the bass keeps going in and out. smile

[an inside joke, showcase]

Oh, yes, Tangmo, I love the way your brain thinks. I say the singer is making a suggestion more than an ultimatum. BTW, I posted our song Bayou Quinze on FB and a lot of folks really liked it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

An excellent listen. Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Good write. Excellent instrumentation and arrangement. Mix is superb. Nice vocals.

Well done. Much enjoyed.

I like it!!

fj

Haha. I like that Buffettt By Babu, The Babu Buffet. Thanks for listening and commenting, Floyd!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

This is great... Your vocal is really outstanding on this song.

Excellent mix and overall production as well.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice backstory, I'm glad you revisited the song. Great title and strong lyrics.
The instrumentation works excellently, I really like the Tex-Mex style combined with steel drums, very refreshing approach. Maybe the solo guitarist is bit too busy. The chorus is really catchy, classic. Great vocals once again.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done. Great lyrics. Cool video too. Nice use of the band. I liked it.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
nice song. cool lyrics and arrangement.
standing like a statue of salvation << BRILLIANT and very poetic.
oooh ..nice lead gtr. nice sound picture.
might i suggest doubling the vocs on the chorus ?
eg take it or leave me...
best/happiness
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is one great chorus! Good song all around, but that chorus is the frosting.

Excellent vocal. Engaging melody.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty

Nice laid back easy listen. Nice steel drum and engaging vocals, with a good chorus hook.

Excellent work on video as well.

Peter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very nice, Marty. The steel drums were an inspired choice (although that pencil thing sounds cool).
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,

You put up a wide variety of material. This seems to be a blending styles and you pulled it off! If you decided to keep the BIAB bass in this it must be good considering how good a bassist you are! It's an enjoyable tune with a great vocal! You always deliver in that department! You are such a valuable member of this community and I appreciate what you do! Thanks, Torrey

Wow, thanks so much, Torrey!!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
The steel drums on the chorus made the song for me. Broke things up between verse and chorus perfectly. Song was strong and the vox were right on. A very good effort!

Thanks, TuneMonger (and I love that handle). Those steel drums are part of the style. The penciled guitar was cool, but I didn't have steel drums at the time of the original.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The lilt of the beginning reminded me of Gerry & The Pacemakers.
Of course that all changed in the chorus.

Shades of Jimmy Buffet a light breezy arrangement and up melody with a slightly sadder story.

You didn't play bass on this?

Good band, really good melody and a fab song.

Hi Ray! The very first note of the bass was all that I changed. It's whole notes of D-C-D and he started with a high D. The story's not sad as long as she was willing to play along, and it DID turn out with a happy ending. Thanks, man.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Marty,

This is great! I love the song and your presentation of it. It's a very engaging listen.

The Jamaican-Island feel of the chorus was a standout for me. I have never tried to use the Steel Drums RTs but you've inspired me to give them a go.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks, Noel. It's interesting to try all the different instruments that BiaB provides. There are no rules. There are infinite combinations. Can't wait to hear what you come up with next.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Cool Song ... Nice hook .. good mix and tone. I like how it gets an island groove in the chorus. Good vocal sound as well.

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Marty,
Sweet tune with Latin Caribbean flavor. Excellent production and it looks like you had fun with it too. Excellent timeless composition. You know, like some Pop tunes of 50s, you start playing them and they flow right in, without the need to "tune" your ears. Very good vocals. Mix is crisp. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing. Made my day.

Misha.

"Happy ending: she stayed for 44 years so far." LOL!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,358
Members38,411
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213