Options
Index
#675057 - 09/26/21 03:55 PM [User Showcase] I Can't Wait
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Online   content
Expert

Hi, all:

Here’s a tune I had around for a while and was finally able to finish writing and put together. While intended to convey faith in finding love—that one soul mate who’s out there somewhere—I realized along the way it also had a spiritual element to it and potentially could be read and played as a Christian rock song. Totally not my genre, but nevertheless I continued to foster that more spiritual element of the write and feel as I went along. This is the outcome, for better or worse.

On the production side, I usually stay away from playing guitar myself on a track—just because I’m less than stellar and the Real Tracks are so solid. But I needed to play on this one for the fills/licks, principally in the beginning of the tune and before the second verse. So if something sounds off there, well . . . that’s why. smile

Anyway, as always, thanks for the listen and feedback. It’s much appreciated.

Deej

Here’s the song:

I CAN'T WAIT

Here are the lyrics:

Shape the light so I can see
And find my way to where you’ll be
Fill the air so I can breathe
Lead me there upon the breeze
All the mystery that’s surrounded you
Now it’s never seemed so clear to me

I can feel you there
In the world somewhere
Now I can’t wait, I can’t wait
For your love to come to me
I can feel you there
And now that I’m aware
I can’t wait, I can’t wait
Long enough for love to come to me

Paint my dreams and when they’re through
Let me wake and know the reality of you
To give me strength to leave behind
The endless doubts that have forever weighed my mind
All the depths of my imaginings
Were never deep enough to see

All along alone and oh so lost
near destroyed
But now I know, I know you’re there
and I hope you can hear me calling out
Can you feel me reaching out
across the void

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2877: Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks 1004: Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealTracks 1828: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGroove Ev16 075
RealTracks 892: Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopLiverpool Ev 065 (A-simple)
RealTracks 631: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanDirty Ev 120 (B:power)
Rhythm Guitar: Dj Lekich
RealDrums: PopRock16ths^01-a:Snare, HiHat, b:Snare, Ride

Edited by Deej56 (09/27/21 07:28 AM)

#675062 - 09/26/21 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Virginia USA
Woo hoo! I'm first.

I always look forward to a new Deej song. Not only because I know you will write a good song and deliver a solid vocal, but also because you don't repeat yourself. There is a definite distinction in each piece of your work.

This is a great song. Powerful and emotive vocal. Magnetic chorus.

I don't play guitar on my songs either for the same reasons you mention.

#675067 - 09/26/21 05:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Online   content
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Deej,

I liked your song and the vocals show good emotion.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

#675097 - 09/27/21 01:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Deej,
good chorus lots of emotion and a hook.
the guitar wrangling you did worked well..another hook...could be brought a little more forward in the mix before the 2nd verse though.
Personally I'd like the click reduced in the kick - but that's me, (I do wonder why BIAB chose to record the kicks so clicky - it's not as though they get lost in the stereo drum mix).
Cool song, cool performance.

#675111 - 09/27/21 02:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Deej,

This is stellar songwriting along with an equally stellar presentation.

Your chorus is really, really strong. I finished listening around 10 minutes ago and even now, the chorus is spiralling around inside my mind. I love the way you perform it with those octave jumps into head-voice. I'm envious because I'd be over the moon to be able to do that!

Everything about this rings with the clarity of musical competence. You're an exceptional songwriting force!

All the best,
Noel

#675127 - 09/27/21 06:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
So, so, so beautiful. Dark, brooding, brilliant. Everything Noel96 and the others above have said, and more. That B minor to A major to E minor modulation, just before the chorus ... wonderful. Love every note of this. Serious congratulations to you.

#675128 - 09/27/21 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
What a great chorus --love the melody you developed for the whole song, but that chorus that touches falsetto so well is something special that brings this song to a very high level of excellence. It also removes it from my sing-along list. hehe. Man, you are so good at developing a song, squeezing all of the magic that is otherwise hidden within it. You've got such a superbly unique voice, Deej. Oh, and your guitar work is perfect.

And now I can't wait for the next Deej56 song.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#675136 - 09/27/21 07:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Deej,

This absolutely great! Love the song, production and your vocal is stellar...

First rate and pro all the way.

LOVED IT!

Bob

#675138 - 09/27/21 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
Super job on a great song Deej! Your vocal is spot on and emotive! You have such extensive range! Love the melancholy feel! The band seems to be just what this calls for! Thanks, Torrey.

#675139 - 09/27/21 07:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Strong lyrics, the imagery brings the wide void very much alive. I like also that it can be interpreted in several ways.
The chord progression is very enjoyable, has some echos from the 60's, especially in the verses.
Very emotional singing, really straight from heart. Your nice guitar playing gives the song very personal feeling, and also distinguishes it from the standard BIAB band. Good selection of instruments, although you mentioned piano in the instrument list, but I couldn't hear it, should I visit the doctor?

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#675173 - 09/27/21 03:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Veteran

Loc: Maryland
The chorus is goosebumps. I can see this song on The Voice turning chairs. BGV outro was icing. Fantastic work!

#675273 - 09/28/21 06:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Deej,

Excellent. A good write. Solid backing - perfect for the song - nice use of BIAB and your guitar.

Super vocal. Well recorded, nicely mixed. Killer falsetto...

Killer song. Well done.

fj

#675275 - 09/28/21 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

Deej
This is such a beautiful,soaring song, I love it!
The band does a good job but I can imagine this song taking off into the stratosphere with a more modern
and dramatic Cinematic, Folktronic, Dark ambient, New Age Ambient techno, Dungeon synth or Emo Dark Wave backing.
But the song sounds great as it is so congratulations are in order.
cheers
Gary

#675317 - 09/28/21 11:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Another great write.
Love the vocals, a bit like James Blunt.
Well done!

Moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#675326 - 09/28/21 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Janice said it reminded her of Fleetwood Mac a bit.

For us a vocal either has soul or it doesn't ... not much in between and you have it in spades.

The write is strong and we get the duality of interpretations that you mentioned.

Nice arrangement, band and mix. Your guitar worked fine.

Well done!

J&B

#675332 - 09/28/21 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Bawb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Wow DJ! Wow in billboard sized letters!
Such a fine tune. You've put together a really fine tune. Your vocals seamlessly meld from what sounds like Robert Plant to Tracy Chapman. Such cool and excellently executed vocals and music. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed listening to it!

#675374 - 09/28/21 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Bawb]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Deej
lots of character in the song.
would love you to double the vocs in the chorus,
would really elevate the song with a female double
in the chorus. just an idea.
I LIKE THE EMOTION !!
nice ending...love how busy it is.

best
om

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#675379 - 09/28/21 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Deej,

A stunning vocal and the chorus is indeed exceptional.

A really impressive piece of song writing and a lovely performance.

Peter

(Guitar sounds fine)

#675738 - 10/01/21 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Deej,

A treat to my ears. Wonderful write. Your vocal skills really shape this tune so well!
Good and clear mix too. Smooth listening experience. Enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

#675903 - 10/01/21 10:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Can't Wait [Re: Deej56]
Deej56 Online   content
Expert

Ezekiel, Nigel, rayc, Noel, James, Marty, Bob, Torrey, Janne, Tune, Floyd, Gary, Kap’n, J&B, Bawb, om, Peter and Misha:

Thanks all for kind feedback. Glad it seemed most folks enjoyed the listen. Really appreciate your taking the time to give it a spin and to comment. A few notes on the comments below:

rayc: I kept going back on forth on the mix on my guitar parts—think maybe a bit of self-consciousness had me dialing it back—but I agree the volume can come up a tad before that second verse. I’ll make that change. As for the drums, I’ll say if there’s any degree of dissatisfaction with BIAB, for me, it’s the drums. I can never get them go pop, no matter how much I EQ, compress, or otherwise. I’m very jealous of many on this board whose drums resonate magnetically.

Janne: Well, the piano is there but sits for the most part behind the mix panned far right. Where it’s most prominent is just after the last line of the bridge “. . . across the void”. What I really wanted to do is quiet everything down and just have that piano playing . . . but I just couldn’t get it to click the way I wanted to. A better production artist could have brought it to fruition . . . but I fell short there.

Tunemonger: I’m not sure how well the final mix is . . . but those BGVs for me were the most fun part of recording this. Glad you enjoyed!

justanoldmuso: Interestingly enough, given your similar comments on my last couple of songs, I actually did double the vocal here—from start to finish. But I did it using the Waves Double Plug-in. I didn’t like the contrast of not using if for the verse, and using only for the choruses, so I used it consistently throughout. Your comment continues to intrigue me, and wonder whether doing a second layered vocal might add more. Lastly, I worried the BGVs at the end were too busy—still not convinced they mesh, but glad you enjoyed.

My thanks to all of you--stay safe, stay well!

Deej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Take a look at our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

In this video, we demonstrate how to use some of the newest features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2023, including Partial Re-Generation, Undo Track/Song Regeneration, Playable RealTracks, Master Track Automation, and more!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows DAW Plugin Version 5.0, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog and much more!

The DAW Plugin Version 5.0 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows, we're creating videos summarizing the new features, explaining new features in detail, and showcasing the new Add-ons!

Whether it's a summary of the new features, demonstrations of the 222 new RealTracks, information on the 2023 49-PAK, demonstrations of our new XPro Styles PAK 4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15, or detailed tutorials for other Band-in-a-Box® 2023 features, we have you covered!

Reference this forum post for One-Stop Shopping of our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Videos - we will be updating this post as more videos are added!

RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

Forum Stats
36786 Members
64 Forums
76272 Topics
674359 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
firesoundwave, D rose, salvomado1, acush, robg

36786 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 248
MusicStudent 196