Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#676427 - 10/05/21 07:53 AM [User Showcase] How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a bit a different song where the piano is in lead. It even starts with it...
And then I continue with the vocals and some other instruments. The SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/how-the-dice-fall?si=0aee54ec3a5a446cb03d1c7cbef2e768

I hope you like it, but I'm interested in what you really think of it.
I made it, because when I was young I really had those dreams of falling off a wall and then -in my dreams-learned how to fly. I still like that part!

Hans
=========================================
The Lyrics
How the dice fall
(c) HWBerkhout, 26/09/21

V
I took my heart in my hands
And I stared at that worn out thing
There is some love  inside it
Though for years no one came in

R
In early dreams I was falling
Allways from a wall
I never got me answers
About the meaning of it all

V
I had my heart in my hands
There is some love inside it
Though I let no one in

R
Now I have dreams about nothing
Only falling from a wall
But I won't be moaning
About the meaning of it all

=Solo=
V
I have my life in my hands
And I stared at my worn out soul
There is some crying inside it
A child, I can see through a hole

R
But I have dreams about nothing
Only falling from a wall
I learned some living and to understand
How the dice may fall

Still I have dreams about nothing
Only from that wall
I learned some living and to comprehend
How the dice must fall

=bridge=

V
But I ignored the child in my soul
Weeping on a wall
I was the one I neglected
That's how the dice really fall
===========================================
The instruments and other stuff:
Style: PBallads, Key: G (BiaB)
Bas, 3467Drums, ModernPopBallad 16thPiano 1 (1006) Symphony
Piano 2 (chorus) 3670
Me: composition, lyrics, vocals and keyboard for Strings (Sunset Strings, Realivox) and Drop sounds (Piano Colors from Native instruments)

Edited by Birchwood (10/06/21 05:27 AM)

#676483 - 10/05/21 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lovely intro Hans. Just loved the lyric. Super vocal. Backtrack was very cool. Excellent choice of instrumentation. Well done...

#676485 - 10/05/21 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Hans,

This is a really nice progression along with a lovely melody and narrative.

at the 0.17/8 point there's a very rough edit within BIAB of the piano chords...it's happens a coupe of times more after that one.
It's often difficult to over come but would be worth the effort as a) it's pretty naked in the intro and b) the progression is really nice.

Your vocal is still a little harsh in spots, as mentioned some time ago, but not off-putting.

Nice package, the strings add their sweetness well.
Good work!

#676494 - 10/05/21 04:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I really like this one. Super job with that piano and the chord progression. The lyrics are top notch for sure and your vocal was very good, as was your mix.

It was very refreshing hearing a piano as the main instrument. Extra praise for that!

Thumbs up.

Sign on the back of a Septic Tank Truck:
Caution - This Truck is full of Political Promises

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#676503 - 10/05/21 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Liked the emotion in your singing, it made the song for me. Good lyrics. I felt the piano solo was a little sparse, but it was short, so no big deal. Good work!

#676560 - 10/06/21 06:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Oh, yeah. Flying In Dreams. A lot of us did/do that. It's interesting to ask folks their method and there are a lot of them. WOW! I typed that while the song was cuing, and I was preparing to tell you what I REALLY think of it. Then it started playing and, man, it hit me. Had to stop it and start it over.

I REALLY think this song is outstanding in melody, lyrics, vocal and band, and the mix is perfect. It is so well developed and so emotional. Your vocal is your best. Those strings are so well arranged and played. When you asked how I really felt, I really wanted to give you the tongue-in-cheek response, but the song kept my tongue in check. Man, Hans, I gave it 3 spins so far, and still think it's one of the best songs. Really!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#676578 - 10/06/21 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
A great write.
The instruments fill the space and the vocal dances across the top.

I can tell this has some deep meaning to you, it shows in your passionate delivery.

Don't change a thing.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#676589 - 10/06/21 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Gorgeous classic hit ballad! Very emotional lyrics and the way you interpret is very heartfelt.
I really like how you make heart and soul something tangible. And how the story (and the person) progress with small steps to the revealing end.
Lovely piano, it truly shows the beauty of the chord progression and supports the strong melody. Strings complete the masterpiece. Drop sounds work nicely.
Perfect fit for the darkening autumn days.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#676671 - 10/06/21 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Hans,

This is an excellent song - music and lyrics.

I particularly like your vocals - lots of passion.

Best Regards
Nigel

#676674 - 10/06/21 06:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

Hans.
A lovely production with excellent vocals . I very much enjoyed this. Well done.
regards
Gary.

#676709 - 10/07/21 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Hans,

A very good write. Both lyric and melody are good.

I like the production. I agree with Ray about the piano. It's a great choice, but there are a few "glitches" to the track. And the vocal is a "bit too crisp" in places (there is more high-EQ than you need). It IS well sung!!

An excellent song.

fj

#676761 - 10/07/21 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"I had my heart in my hands
There is some love inside it
Though I let no one in"

"But I ignored the child in my soul
Weeping on a wall
I was the one I neglected
That's how the dice really fall'

A few of our favorite lines ... great write.

John Lennon is back! We love this, Hans. The piano is lovely, as are the strings and the dramatic arrangement is powerful to go along with the powerful lyric. You are a master at dynamics.

And the mix sounds fine on our monitors.

Well produced in all aspects!

J&B

#676773 - 10/07/21 03:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

This is very nice. Your vocals are the star of this show. Wonderful. Great lyrics. Then band isn't too bad either, especially that piano player.

#676852 - 10/08/21 05:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
One of your best I think, Hans!

Love the melody and chord progression, and great vocal.

Well done!

#676916 - 10/08/21 02:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: TuneMonger]
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi Scott, Ray, Mario and TuneMonger,

Thanks a lot for listening and your reply on my song. I appreciate that very much.

I feared the song might have been a bit too dramatic, but after reading the posts I admit I was wrong on that.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely intro Hans. Just loved the lyric. Super vocal. Backtrack was very cool. Excellent choice of instrumentation. Well done...

Hi Scott, thanks! Especially about the lyrics.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Hans,
This is a really nice progression along with a lovely melody and narrative.
at the 0.17/8 point there's a very rough edit within BIAB of the piano chords...it's happens a coupe of times more after that one.
It's often difficult to over come but would be worth the effort as a) it's pretty naked in the intro and b) the progression is really nice.
Your vocal is still a little harsh in spots, as mentioned some time ago, but not off-putting.

Nice package, the strings add their sweetness well.
Good work!

Hi Ray, thanks as well for your nice comment, also on the narrative. After your post I had changed the song a bit. I renewed the singing part and I rendered the first piano a couple of times to get what it is now. But beside the renewing of the piano I didn't hear what you wrote about it. Floyd also mentioned some glitches in the pianotrack, while he listened to the newer version. So they still have to be in it. But I don't hear any of this, nor did I read complains about it from others. On the contrary, some said to leave it as it is. And that is how I feel about it too. Also about that 'naked' part...
But keep telling me what I can improve in my songs. I need that information.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I really like this one. Super job with that piano and the chord progression. The lyrics are top notch for sure and your vocal was very good, as was your mix.
It was very refreshing hearing a piano as the main instrument. Extra praise for that!
Thumbs up.

Hi Mario, what a nice comment! And what a wonderful mark I got on the lyrics. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Liked the emotion in your singing, it made the song for me. Good lyrics. I felt the piano solo was a little sparse, but it was short, so no big deal. Good work!

Hello TuneMonger, Thanks for these nice words and the qualification of the lyrics! I think you've heard the first version of the song, in the second version the piano wasn't sparse (in my opinion). So, I listened :-)

I hope you all have a nice weekend,
Hans

#676963 - 10/08/21 07:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hans

A really emotive and well sung ballad.

Nice lyric and impressive use of the piano and percussion.

A very good song.

Peter

#676975 - 10/08/21 09:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Hans,

I love a piano song . . . and this one is pretty darn sweet. At 45 seconds, I’m wondering whether the intro is a bit too long, but once the song kicks in it takes off. So perhaps fine as is. The vocal is stellar, crisp and magnetic. The melody on the chorus sticks the ear well. Like the strings behind the piano—just the right touch. A compelling emotion to this piece that resonates. Impressive work!

All my best to you,

Deej

#677046 - 10/09/21 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Deej56]
justanoldmuso Online   content
Expert

Hans.
nice piano and lyrics mate.
i like it when you push yuour vocs.

nice ending .
happiness.
om

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#677064 - 10/09/21 12:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Hans,

You've really done a great job, here. Piano is my instrument and it always makes me feel comfortable when I listen to it.

As I listened, I closed my eyes and simply let your singing and the music drift around me. There's nothing I'd change.

Another fine addition to your ever-growing collection!

All the best,
Noel

#677341 - 10/11/21 09:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Hans,
I believe you achieved your goal. Nice piano lead ballad. Good use, not overly busy synths. Liked that sub bass synth. Good fit. Solid set of lyrics. Zero complaints on your vocals, which in my opinion were pretty good and mix is clear. Easy listen.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
How to: Using the Copy/Paste Functions and Copy Multiple Tracks in RealBand

Here is a video on a customer requested topic that goes over how to copy and paste both a single track as well as multiple tracks at once, in RealBand.

Video: How to use the Copy/Paste Functions and Copy Multiple Tracks

How to: Select Styles, RealTracks, and MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Here's a brief overview video explaining how Styles, RealTracks, MIDI tracks, and MIDI SuperTracks function in Band-in-a-Box®, and how to select them in your project. Please let us know if you have any questions!

How to Select Styles, RealTracks, and MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

How to: Associating Song Files with Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Our Tips & Tricks videos are great for quickly learning a feature within Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you know you can you can associate song files so that they open up directly in Band-in-a-Box®? Chantelle explains how in one of our latest videos, Associating Song Files with Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

The Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Ends Sunday, July 31st!

There's still some time left to save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT Sunday, July 31, 2022!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. Need help deciding? Let us know - we're here to help!

Learn more about the new features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Review

A 5-STAR reveiew - wow!

Read what Sound-Guy (Dennis) has to say about Band-in-a-Box® 2022 with their latest review, Review: Band-in-a-Box 2022.

"Band in a Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to compose, arrange and mix songs."
-Dennis J Wilkins

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is eXtra Ready!

We've made Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows eXtra Ready!

Thinking of adding the new XPro Styles PAK 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 to your Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Download the latest program update, which adds support for these new Add-ons!

Oh, and the XPro Styles PAKs and Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until July 31st... save up to 40%!

Learn more, listen to demos, and purchase:
XPro Styles PAKs
Xtra Styles PAKs

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac - Special EXTENDED to July 31st!

Great news! We've extended our Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac special until July 31st!

Order during our special and save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK!

Purchase your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 during our special and add over 50 new features and a FREE Bonus PAK! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Bonus RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks Set 35: All Guitar, Instrumental Studies Set 17: Classic Country Guitar Soloing, Artist Performance Set 12: Songs with Vocal Volume 2, RealDrums Stems Set 2, and Look Ma! More MIDI 8) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in these packages, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. Need help deciding? Let us know - we're here to help!

Forum Stats
36385 Members
64 Forums
75328 Topics
662442 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Raaah Lonely, Osky, Midiman2022, daryel.corran, Arnaldo Rivera

36384 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 190
AudioTrack 183