Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
+++ HERE +++ is a comprehensive review of Windows 11 by the editorial staff of ARS Technica.

The great thing about this article is it works hard to demystify and clear up Windows 11 misinformation.

Excellent read. Enjoy!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the share sir!

I really loved the introductory page about the failure of Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and Microsoft Store.

I will definitely be reading the rest......

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
For those ready to dive in and start looking at Win11, here's the Microsoft page to start from.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

I may try it in the next week or so on one of my machines. I like to be early adopter on new Win OS software...

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I want to read these - thanks, guys - but do they deal at all with digital audio specifically?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Do they deal at all with digital audio specifically?

Nope. That's why I want to upgrade soon so I can see how it works. The document in the original post is a great read at 10 long pages but I don't think Microsoft did any major infrastructure changes that would impact audio at all.

The link I posted is just the landing page to start the upgrade process and which method you want to do that.

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The only point I saw regarding audio is the single click to select audio output in the task bar takes two clicks in Windows 11.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Do they deal at all with digital audio specifically?

Nope. That's why I want to upgrade soon so I can see how it works. The document in the original post is a great read at 10 long pages but I don't think Microsoft did any major infrastructure changes that would impact audio at all.

That's been my experience so far - nothing much has changed. Of course, I'm using newer hardware (2020 HP Envy and Focusrite Mk3) so other people's results may differ.

At home, I'm building a new Windows machine around an i5 11400 and associated "up to date" parts compared to my old ~2014 machine, so I don't imagine I'll have too many problems with Windows 11. Of course, the one part I'm waiting on is the CPU itself...

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 10/08/21 12:54 PM.

I work here
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
simon.
can you read my mind. lol.
ive been looking at same i5 processor.
rateing on cpubenchmark.net 17372.
but otoh i might wait for prices to come down.

best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Journeyman
Journeyman
I want to read these - thanks, guys - but do they deal at all with digital audio specifically?

Sweetwater does a pretty good review of the impact on digital audio at their site. Along with some of the how's as far as what is required for upgrade etc.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
simon.
can you read my mind. lol.
ive been looking at same i5 processor.
rateing on cpubenchmark.net 17372.
but otoh i might wait for prices to come down.

best
om

The 10400 is a good alternative for a few bucks less, though it does bench a bit lower. That's the problem with waiting - there's always new stuff around the corner.

I'm going with the 11400 specifically because it's the most power for the money with the lowest TDP. It's a 65-watt chip, which is important because I'm building a very small formfactor ITX machine (the case is just over 3" thick and around 15"x13"), and if I were to put in the i9 9900k I have in my main machine it'd probably melt. There are faster 65-watt chips, but they take a big jump in price.

IIRC Planobilly recently built a 10th gen i5 machine and was very happy with it even compared to the i7 or i9 he put in his other machine. I think it was Billy anyway...

I work here
Journeyman
Journeyman
I read an article about Win11 yesterday, and I wasn't happy with what I read. Win11 is all about security enhancements, but what M$ is doing is requiring new hardware with these security protocols built in for Win11 to install properly. I wasn't happy because my newest system, which I put together just a few months ago so I could run Win10, has a motherboard that's about 7 years old. I bought a clean used MB with the old style PCI slots because I have some legacy hardware that I run on my DAW.

So it looks like I won't be upgrading to Win11 -- or any other subsequent M$ OS -- for as long as I continue to use the legacy hardware. The day may come when its drivers will no longer be compatible, which will force its retirement, but until then I will use the hardware and I'll be happy using it.

Personally, I do not like the idea of embedding code into hardware. I just don't like it, no matter what the hardware is or what its purpose is. Except maybe BIOS, but that's it.

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Michael, check out my post over in Off Topic:

Installed Windows 11 on Laptop Successfully!

There's some tools you can use to check your system and some prep things you can do with your machine to get it ready. My laptop CPU is 8 years old and I was able to get it working flawlessly so far. I think that although Microsoft has a lot of requirements, they want your machine to be more secure from attack. Once you go through some of these steps prior to upgrade, I think you'll feel a little better about it. I'm a huge tech nerd and wanted to dive in right away to share my experiences with all of you.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Like Windows 10, is Windows 11 being made available to we disabled folks for free!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: cooltouch
Personally, I do not like the idea of embedding code into hardware. I just don't like it, no matter what the hardware is or what its purpose is. Except maybe BIOS, but that's it.

From a quick Google, every Intel computer since 2008 has had the Intel Management Engine built into it, and every AMD computer since 2013 (maybe earlier) has the AMD Platform Security Processor. Both of which use proprietary embedded code for a variety of things. Going further back, most motherboards had an embedded controller of some sort. Unless you don't mind running really old hardware or you design your own, this kind of stuff is inescapable no matter what OS you use.

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Hey Michael, check out my post over in Off Topic:

Installed Windows 11 on Laptop Successfully!

There's some tools you can use to check your system and some prep things you can do with your machine to get it ready. My laptop CPU is 8 years old and I was able to get it working flawlessly so far. I think that although Microsoft has a lot of requirements, they want your machine to be more secure from attack. Once you go through some of these steps prior to upgrade, I think you'll feel a little better about it. I'm a huge tech nerd and wanted to dive in right away to share my experiences with all of you.

While I agree that the CPU cutoff Microsoft decided on is higher than it needs to be, one of the reasons they decided this is likely due to the other associated hardware and any required drivers. Many of the companies that produce sound chips, LAN controllers, WiFi, etc probably don't want to create Windows 11 drivers for decade-old hardware.

I don't personally recommend installing Windows 11 on unsupported devices, as there can be a host of problems involved. An older unsupported computer might be able to boot Windows 11 and might appear to be stable, but might end up having very strange and seemingly unrelated problems. Your mileage may vary, but from my experience working in tech support here and at previous companies, the users who have problems are most often users with the oldest hardware, and exponentially more when running an unsupported OS.

That said, I'll personally be running Windows 11 on a 4th gen i7 desktop with no TPM for at least a few months, so I'll see how it is.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I'm going with the 11400 specifically because it's the most power for the money with the lowest TDP. It's a 65-watt chip, which is important because I'm building a very small formfactor ITX machine (the case is just over 3" thick and around 15"x13").

This is exactly what I'm in the middle of researching now. My only issue is if I build a new system myself I'll have to pay for Win 11 Pro which could be $150? I just spent a few minutes surfing the MS site and don't see Win 11 for sale. Is it actually for sale yet? That's the main reason I bought the ZBox used, it had 7 already on it so 10 was free. Otherwise I see a lot of mini ITX's on Ebay with that i5 10400 chip with Win 10 Pro so 11 is free.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Simon and JM.
one reason i like refurbs is i save on buying windows, plus i get a decent warranty.
also ive never had one prob ever compared to friends buying new retail pc's which often need cleaning up..
of bloat etc.

but the 11400 cpu has sorta thrown me cos...is it better
basing a pc round it, OR are the 500 buk ...........

hp z or lenovo beasts a better deal. with xeons.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/18/21 01:16 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I agree about the value of refurbs it's just that I'm replacing my ZBox which is about the size of an older external drive. For me it's about the smaller size. The one Simon is building is about twice that big but still small and you can fit some high end parts in it. That's why I'm considering both right now. The mini ITX can be a fairly powerful machine but the standard ITX is better. I think the difference is the regular ITX can be almost as powerful as a full size tower while the mini ITX can be comparable to a high end laptop.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
JM. Bob.
case size dont bother me.
i'm seeing some silly low prices on off lease refurb hp and lenovo workstation beasts with xeons/ssd etc. win 10 included.
(for win 7 lovers some include 7).
prices as low as under 300 buckies for a refurb xeon beast.....how much faster will rt's gen useing one vs tother. i mean if i'm only gonna save one second..meh lol. i'll stick with refurbs. but if 11400 is a BIG diff
over cheapo refurbs, then that interests me.

so i wonder if i'm mixing down a 40 trak song, how much time will i save useing a new 11400 based system vs a refurb beast.

what i'm hoping for is now that apple has gone with its own silicon (now added m1max etc) that intel will respond by lowering prices on its higher end processors.
thus undercutting apples mi pricing.

the other option bob i sometimes consider is pc turnkey for recording studios. some reaps users seem to like these...
https://studiocat.com/opencart2/
(i got nuttin to do with them. just find em interesting.)
and there are lots of others silentpc, scan uk etc etc.
i think some even offer small form factor if i remember.
https://www.slickaudio.com/mini-pc-for-music-production/

best/happiness bob
om

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I'm going with the 11400 specifically because it's the most power for the money with the lowest TDP. It's a 65-watt chip, which is important because I'm building a very small formfactor ITX machine (the case is just over 3" thick and around 15"x13").

This is exactly what I'm in the middle of researching now. My only issue is if I build a new system myself I'll have to pay for Win 11 Pro which could be $150? I just spent a few minutes surfing the MS site and don't see Win 11 for sale. Is it actually for sale yet? That's the main reason I bought the ZBox used, it had 7 already on it so 10 was free. Otherwise I see a lot of mini ITX's on Ebay with that i5 10400 chip with Win 10 Pro so 11 is free.

Bob

The 10400 is a very good chip, so if that's much more cost effective I'd say go for it. I might go that way too, simply due to motherboard availability and cost.

This is also the reason I bought a "retail" Windows license, as it can be moved from one machine to another. Some Windows licenses can be transferred, particularly the "upgrade from regular Windows 10 to Pro". OEM licenses that come preinstalled cannot be transferred.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Simon and JM.
one reason i like refurbs is i save on buying windows, plus i get a decent warranty.
also ive never had one prob ever compared to friends buying new retail pc's which often need cleaning up..
of bloat etc.

but the 11400 cpu has sorta thrown me cos...is it better
basing a pc round it, OR are the 500 buk ...........

hp z or lenovo beasts a better deal. with xeons.
om

Depends which Xeon. Quick google search, the HP Z400 is a common inexpensive refurb with a Xeon W3503, which has a benchmark score of 1052, while the i5 11400 scores 17383 - no I did not type an extra digit in there, it is 17 times as fast!

Another one that came up, an HP Z800 with two Xeon E5620's would score around 6528, so the i5 is still 3x as fast. Nice thing about a new 10/11 gen build is new connectivity, like USB-C, options for Thunderbolt, super fast PCIe storage, etc.

All depends on the total cost though. A cheap refurb is still a bit cheaper than the parts to build your own 10/11th gen machine. Mine's going to cost around $800 CDN or so just for parts, not including labour or the video card and OS I bought previously (not that everyone needs a fast video card).

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I agree about the value of refurbs it's just that I'm replacing my ZBox which is about the size of an older external drive. For me it's about the smaller size. The one Simon is building is about twice that big but still small and you can fit some high end parts in it. That's why I'm considering both right now. The mini ITX can be a fairly powerful machine but the standard ITX is better. I think the difference is the regular ITX can be almost as powerful as a full size tower while the mini ITX can be comparable to a high end laptop.

Bob

There is only Mini ITX, no other versions exist - perhaps you're thinking of Micro ATX or full ATX vs ITX?

The mini ITX I'm building is not using laptop-grade components - it'll have a desktop i5 11400 (or 10400 depending on what parts I find - local supply is atrocious at the moment), 32gb of desktop-size RAM, 2tb NVMe SSD, and a GTX 1060 6gb video card. What ITX does is simply make the motherboard smaller by reducing some connectivity options - only 1 PCIe slot, reduced port selection, only 2 RAM slots, and on many ITX boards they'll only accept the "lower"-spec chips like the 11400, 11500, 11700, but not the overclockable K-series chips that require more wattage. There isn't much power difference for me between an 11400 and an 11600K, but the 11600K uses 50% more electricity and subsequently creates more heat.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
itx.jpg (68.14 KB, 38 downloads)

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
I'm talking much smaller than the mini ITX. Here's the newest Zotac Zbox: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-i7-10510U-G...73130&psc=1

This is only 5 x 5 inches and uses the mobile U chips. But I can't find a separate case for one of these, just the barebones kits like this one. My current Zbox is sitting next to my 60" HDTV in my living room which is why I want it small but a few of the mini ITX cases would fit behind the TV too. I'm just deciding how much power do I really need because I'm not a gamer. A desktop CPU is better than the mobile one but do I care? Not sure yet because as far as Biab is concerned my old I7 4770 will still render a full RT song in about 10 seconds depending on if I'm using a RT soloist or not. I've found it's the soloist that slows down the generation and can double that time.

Bob

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Just to clarify the differences, the Zbox and similar small computers like the Intel NUC are not really standardized like the ITX form factor. ITX is a full-power desktop in a small package with a standardized motherboard layout, meaning you can buy an ITX motherboard from any company and it will fit any ITX case - not so with the Zbox or NUC.

The Zbox you linked is actually quite fast compared to similar small form factor computers, however the CPU is still less powerful than your i7-4770, though only by about 2%. By comparison the ITX computer I'm building is around 2.5x as fast with the i5 I'm using, or up to 3.5x as fast if I were to use an i7 or i9. Of course it's much bigger though - the case is just over 3" thick and around 15"x13".

Storage speed is probably more of an issue than CPU speed - from the looks of it, the Zbox only supports SATA SSD's and not PCIe/NVMe. ITX or the NUC platform would be much faster in that respect, as SATA tops out around 550mb/sec where NVMe currently tops out at 7300mb/sec which is 13x faster.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Simon and man, this gets confusing. I had to check my system and my current CPU is the 4770T which is a desktop CPU but as you said, the new ones are all U series and the Geekbench scores are pretty close to what I have now. I can see how a new system with the PCIe NVME storage would be the major improvement as opposed to the CPU itself.

Bob

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You're welcome Bob, happy to clarify.

Yep, storage speed is a big one. I upgraded my computer recently, went from an older 8-core to a newer 8-core and from 48gb ram to 64gb ram, and although the new cpu is about twice as powerful as the old one, the computer is MUCH more than twice as fast thanks to going from SATA to NVMe.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199