You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#682047 - 11/11/21 05:13 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Hello forum friends. Hope the fall is treating all of you well. I continued to be blown away by the productions on this forum! It can be hard to keep up with as the forum has really grown. Thanks to all who commented on my last post.....your comments mean a great deal to me. I read all of them and cherish your kind words. This is a jazz tune with a small club feel. BIAB has really turned me on to this style as there is a great array of players in this genre. I've always loved this kind of music but never written much of it until recent years because I don't have the talent to play it......thank you BIAB!!!! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Take care all.

Player are:
Bass.....2316
Trumpet......494
Piano/drums....from the Poll winner jazz waltz (I replaced the piano with a Komplete VST so I cannot see the number on the RT)

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/lonelyagain?si=ec484db88db748cbbc9354dcf2f3886c

Lonely Again

I’m Lonely again
Can’t find the words in this pen
That I could write you
And make you ever want to come home
Guess you’re better without me
Guess there’s somethin’ about me
That makes you prefer time alone

There’s not a cloud in the skies
But still there’s rain in my eyes
And that songbird is singin’ the blues
He says his soulmate is gone
She packed up and moved on
And since then, there’s only bad news

He says his heart is now shattered
She was all that ever mattered
And I tell him I know how he feels
We share a long conversation
About our souls’ devastation
And how our hearts never may heal

I’m lonely again
Seems I ain’t got a friend
And my songbird has now flown away
I just don’t hear his sound
Guess I was bringin’ him down
Maybe I too will fly off someday

#682077 - 11/12/21 12:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi Greg,

this is simply awesome. I really dig your singing so much. Very appealing lyrics, a marvellous backing track and an excellent mix.

Gorgeous!

Take care,

Stefan

#682092 - 11/12/21 03:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
PROJECT M Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
Hi Greg
Sad song
But great job
And very beautifully sung
Great
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

#682128 - 11/12/21 07:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Greg,

Gorgeous.

Your writing - both lyrically and melodically - is SO good. ALWAYS so natural. Never "forced" or gimmicky. Killer.

Beautiful vocal. (duh)

Perfect BAND. Nice mix.

A Great Listen. the kind of song you want to hear over and over...

fj

#682129 - 11/12/21 08:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Greg,

This is beautiful... Refined and pro all the way.

Great, great stuff.

Bob

#682152 - 11/12/21 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Always pleasure to hear this high quality music on this forum, although I've already run out of superlatives with this kind of perfect moody piece. Touching melancholy wrapped in a beautiful jazzy arrangement, great sax solo and once again I admire the soft and emotional vocal performance.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#682157 - 11/12/21 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Jazz at its best!

Greg you nailed this genre perfectly.

You vocal is perfect for this backing track.

Loved it!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#682167 - 11/12/21 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Greg,

Superb - from start to finish - I loved it all.
Great melody, lyrics and the best singing I have ever heard on this forum.

Wonderful

Best Regards
Nigel

#682198 - 11/12/21 07:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Smooth. Lovely vocal presentation I like the stripped down band.

BIAB has opened so many doors for me.

#682202 - 11/12/21 08:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
So many superlatives, I'll just say I absolutely agree with them all, and always eagerly look forward to your contributions. Thanks!!

#682212 - 11/13/21 01:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Greg,
this is gorgeous.
If I were asked to have been involved in a session that produced this I'd have, maybe, addressed a tiny bit of essing, (something we were once quite accustomed to & accepting of),and only because my tinnitus makes me a tad sensitive to those freqs.
That means this is gorgeous.

#682264 - 11/13/21 06:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: rayc]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

i liked the whispery aspect of the vocals.
and the lyrics.
i'm no jazz genre expert, but this is very pleasing.
i think what would elevate this nice song possibly might be a
female voc singing along with you as a duet.
maybe on the choruses for example..
'i'm lonely again...etc'
just an idea.
best
om

Edited by justanoldmuso (11/13/21 06:25 AM)

#682292 - 11/13/21 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
BRAVO, a hundred times. The lyrics are extraordinary - the singing is so beautiful, the music is so moving ... that horn solo in the middle - tears ... wow.

This is an instant classic I would listen to so many times - and you're a star. Hats off.

#682368 - 11/13/21 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg

Lovely song and a gorgeous vocal (no surprise there).

You really are becoming a master of this genre.

Truly excellent work.

Peter

#682419 - 11/13/21 04:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Cool laid back tune Greg. Lovely vocal and lyric. Really nice listen. Well done.

#682522 - 11/13/21 11:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I love lounge jazz with sad lyrics, and you know how to deliver it as if the genre was created for you.

I got to hear you perform this one live - it was great to hear it then, and to hear it again. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#682557 - 11/14/21 06:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Greg, if you're ever lonely, just stand on any corner and start singing. You'll definitely draw a crowd. YES, you're so right about the plethora a outstanding jazz musicians in the BiaB box, and you did an outstanding job of giving them something brilliant to play. Love this software for doing exactly what you describe here. This is a very creative jazz number and we can tell you have that genre in your heart. Man, it's perfect for you. Excellent choice of musicians -love that trumpet solo. You know I hold your vocal magic in the same hand with Jason Mraz and Harry Nilsson, two of my other favorites, and it shines on this piece. My third time through, however, I noticed your breath before most lines. It fits very well with the buttery approach for this song, but I would remove most. But then again, I can't sing anything like you. Keep 'em coming, Greg. Take care.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#682606 - 11/14/21 09:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Henry Clarke Offline
Apprentice

Nice song. I like the laid back style. One thing I'd like to suggest (hahaha .. I rarely ever ever suggest anything) but in this case I would like to hear your vocal come up a tiny bit. Still you captured a great lounge mood and outstanding song. Cheers, Henry

#682670 - 11/14/21 12:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Greg,
Wonderful intimate tune. Excellent vocals and arrangement! A+ lyrics. Enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#682677 - 11/14/21 01:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Lonely Again [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: New Jersey
robsmusic Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
a lovely song.
Well executed!

-rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36198 Members
64 Forums
74821 Topics
657119 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Core28, jeanflrs01, bixby, garywooten, jchinkley

36197 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 245