Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
any advice greatly appreciated re the following.

ive got a bunch of old songs done on tape, i'm gradually tarting up....i like the mojo of.
ive posted one such oddball called HT Man in user showcase that some rb/bb features helped me with.

just wondering , as i'm no resto expert other budget alternatives...eg vst plug in .
heres my needs for such resto software.
1. achieve more "clarity" from the master.
2. bringing out a vocal better would help.
3. dont muck with existing song mojo.
4. dirt cheap or free..lol.. , cos i'm upgradeing pg bb//rb this month.

thanks.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/02/21 05:32 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I understand your budget will go toward BIAB. Good decision.

I use the old Adobe Audition for simple noise reduction and EQ. It’s based on the old free Cool Edit Pro, if that’s still available.

JFord from this forum knows the developer of Diamond Cut software that I believe would include what you seek.

If it were my file, I would look at offerings from Izotope. No, they are not free, but they are powerful and effective, and their interface is easy to use.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Cassette Tape or Reel to Reel?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Good question, Steve. If cassette, it could be encoded with Dolby B or (unlikely) Dolby C. Just having the right playback might sound a lot better.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Also, regardless of tape type if you happen to have the same deck you recorded on that will help a little on quality playback.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
thanks all.merci.
the tape deks are long gone as are the mtr's.
the songs i digitised to wav awhile back in the hope that in the future i could tart them up with some type of advanced resto software.
i have noise reduction software etc. plus eq plug ins.

all the songs have a common need. maybe some way to bring
more clarity to the songs.
is that where spectral editing might be beneficial ?

best...merry xmas to all.
om
ps all were reel to reel .ampex 406 if i remember or 456.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/02/21 07:58 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
My local studio borrowed my Teac 4-track 10" deck to do just this for another client. Then they used their own software to enhance the sound. Might be the easiest way for you to proceed.

Veteran
Veteran
Izotope would be a great choice.

Seeing this can be non-destructive (you can save your results in separate files), you might be surprised what you could achieve with Audacity also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Seeing this can be non-destructive (you can save your results in separate files), you might be surprised what you could achieve with Audacity also.

I was just about to recommend Audacity. It is free. Be sure to DL all of the effects as they are a separate DL. It contains noise reduction, multi-band EQ, and other effects that may help.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
thanks everybody.
tried audacity. didnt really do it for me.
already have nr etc etc.
actually i'm getting somewhere with "carefull" use of features in rb in vinyl plug in. and some reaps js plugs.
gonna check out isotope next.

i wish i could find a plug in with one dial...
"gimme more clarity"...lol.

mario, ht man you listened to in showcase ...i had futzed with rb n bb features.

best
om
ps mario my wife loves your jokes...she was laughing her
head off re the jewellery one. lol

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
ps mario my wife loves your jokes...she was laughing her
head off re the jewellery one. lol

I wish my wife was laughing her head off grin grin grin

PS I need bail money whistle

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
You can do HEAPS in Reaper...I restored a mono cassette dub done on the day we were recording in a local studio in about 81.
I do also use Wavrepair for LPs etc as it's VERY specific to that - not sure if it's still available.
Recorded LIVE at Warrawilla Studio...direct to 12 track I think...Bass was DI and sounds it.

This link will take you to two .wav files of one of the songs recorded in that session and mono dumped to the cheapest possible type I cassette (Govt issue) available.

https://we.tl/t-UIxJ6qIPGD

I tried four cassette machines to get the best playback and, strangely, a Sony Walkman was THE one.
I recorded INTO WaveRepair (CD standards).
Casio keyboards WITH the built in drum machine would you believe...it was the early 80s.
I did some light EQing in WavRepair to remove a little noise back in 2006 and then left the files for yonks, (The SIMPLE EQ was step one I used when archiving the cassette into a digital format), until a member of the band mentioned, in 2019, that he didn't have a copy.
I pulled up the sessions, did some careful noise reduction with ReaFir and did some very surgical subtractive EQing in Reaper using the native effects, I did some VERY light exciting and increased the level with some parallel compression.
I TRIED artificial stereo widening but it wasn't an enhancement. I haven't attempted Mid Side EQing because I don't have any plugins for, or experience with, it.
The band mate was happy enough as something is better than nothing.
The results, (Andre Done), aren't miraculous...but the MOJO is, relatively, intact.
The point, the tools are available but they take time & patience to get a so so result.

Last edited by rayc; 12/03/21 12:01 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was looking for something else and found my WalkMan, yesterday.

I am going to give it a try. Thank you!

....Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
I was looking for something else and found my WalkMan, yesterday.

I am going to give it a try. Thank you!

....Deb

It's use for this was very tape specific...and I did clean/demag before using it. I suspect it is a decent and unfussy/generalist machine. Other, better quality, tapes played back on better machines.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
I don't have anything like this so I downloaded to see what it is all about. Unfortuantlely, I am confused by the interface. I have 3 drives that I know of C, G and F. But the interface shows me this??? And the RED is concerning. Is there something I can or should do about the RED?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (113.62 KB, 97 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, that looks like a copy of the view you would get if you went into Disk Management in Windows. That RED drive looks like an .ISO or backup image of some sort. You can usually access Disk Management in Computer Management.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Steve,
But here is what I see in Win 10 Disk management: No indication of the RED

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (77.5 KB, 81 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
Veteran
Wow, Mario, that "research" is really above and beyond! Thank you for clearing that up. I owe you one for this. grin

Dan

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I've used RX for years, it's great. The newer versions of the most basic "Elements" version includes a basic standalone editor which would probably be effective for you.

I've also had very good results from Acon Digital Restoration Suite (better than RX in some cases), but they're only plugins vs the standalone app with RX.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199