Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#694578 12/28/21 02:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Living in the Shadows

This song doesn't have much in the way of hooks. It's a bit of a throw-away song. I wrote it a couple years ago, but never could get it right--I changed the keys and tried different instrumentation. The style I am using doesn't parallel with the tone of the lyrics, but using a picked acoustic seemed hackneyed for this. I don't know if the vocal level is quite right.

The style is ICELAKE. I added a RT piano and harmonica, replaced the drums, and removed the pedal steel.

Band:
RealBass 1580 Bass, Electric
RealGuitar 3704 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm 90sAcRockCool
RealStrings 1581 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Folkie16ths
RT1690 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise
RT685 Harmonica, Background Pop
Drums - We Sound Human: Acoustic Indie Pop

Lyrics are posted on SC.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the singing on this and I am a big fan of your vocals in general

The lyrics raised a lot of questions, which is usually a good thing in songwriting (creating some mystery), but I found myself scratching my head and wanting to know more.

No hooks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

The harmonica was distracting to me. It was stepping on your vocal. If it had been spliced and made to call and respond with the vocal, I think then I would have liked it. Others may disagree.

The progression reminded me somewhat of "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer, for what that's worth. A nice progression.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it! smile

I could easily imagine this with a slower, darker arrangement. But I think this is a good setting.

No issues with the vocal level.

Like TuneMonger, I agree the lyrics raise more questions than they answer, and it's a good thing.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Scott
Great song with a great sound
Your vocals are exceptionally good
Absolutely great job Scott
Das hast Du wirklich sehr sehr gut gemacht
Wünsche Dir alles Gute für 2022
und weiterhin so tolle Ideen ;-)
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ezekiel.
You could try style "Save Me". Even 8 at around 85bpm.
I agree that the harmonica shouldn't be playing while you are singing.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,
Honestly I think you got it "right" this time smile Sounds very good. Arrangement, vocals, performance. Everything fits very nicely and listens very well. Actually I think vocals are one of your best. Also, I believe this is your vocal EQ sweet spot. They sit very comfortably in the mix. Curios if somebody else can comment who have heard your other songs. Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!
Misha.

P.S. Interestingly, right after your tune there was J&B tune in playlist. I consider Bud of of the most skillful people here for mixing acoustic songs. Transition from yours to theirs was very smooth on ears, to me it says a lot smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another song by Ezekiel Storm is enough to get me hooked, Scott. I really like the harmonica, and of course your vocal is always the best. At first I agreed with the distraction factor of the harmonica, but then felt like this was more of a campfire song where we can imagine someone just pulling it out of their pocket to play along because they were inspired.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'm getting a Neil Diamond vibe from your song, vocal recording/performance is very good...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We like it as is.

We agree with Marty re the campfire feel. Good musicians sitting around playing something they feel.

We also felt Misha gave an insightful and positive review that we also much agree with.
And not because he threw an appreciated shoutout to Bud smile

All meaning we don't agree with your paragraph of negatives!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Sounds good to me man!

Hey, I could hear many different versions of this, and I think you should experiment with many styles just for fun to see what happens. Ya never know.

It might be cool to hear a slightly slower piano up front version just for grins.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I think the style is great...there's a bit of a tension between the style and the lyric content that I think is cool...your vocal is really great and the mix sounds fine to my ears...I love songs in this tempo range...and I do agree with others about the harmonica stepping into the vox's territory... enjoyed it very much...Dan

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Scott,

I had the honour of listening to the song a couple of weeks ago. I said then that I don't really get the lyrics - I'm relieved to see that also native speakers are irritaed ;-))).

Well, the song has improved soundwise a lot since that first version. I find it very balanced now, and I LOVE the harmonica fills.

Said iz more than once: I do like your voice and your singing!

Should I say, 'Not bad for a throw-away' song? Nah, it's anything but that - it's good.

Happy New Year - all the best to Tiffany and you.

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ezekiel,

A very nice song and a good melody line, and of course very good vocals (and lyrics)!
So many compliments and all meant of course.

There is one thing that made me a bit restless; the beat on the guitar.
The lyrics and singing will have more support from it when the guitar is simpler in that. Maybe softer, maybe some fingerpicking, I don't know. But I read I am the only one with that issue, so don't bother at all.

A good 2022,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I think it's a cool song. Your vocals are outstanding The instrumentation works fine for me. The lyrics are interesting. I think it's a fine recording. Good one.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very balance sound.
Great job with the acoustic choices - and with their processing...they sound "just right".
And the drums are a GREAT compliment to the acoustics (is that an EZDrummer track??)

Very nice vocals - and beautifully mixed - they sit perfectly.

Nice.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked the singing on this and I am a big fan of your vocals in general

The lyrics raised a lot of questions, which is usually a good thing in songwriting (creating some mystery), but I found myself scratching my head and wanting to know more.

No hooks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

The harmonica was distracting to me. It was stepping on your vocal. If it had been spliced and made to call and respond with the vocal, I think then I would have liked it. Others may disagree.

The progression reminded me somewhat of "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer, for what that's worth. A nice progression.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like it! smile

I could easily imagine this with a slower, darker arrangement. But I think this is a good setting.

No issues with the vocal level.

Like TuneMonger, I agree the lyrics raise more questions than they answer, and it's a good thing.

Tunemonger and David: Thanks for the listen. I forgot to mention in my original post that the lyrics were a bit of an odd creative writing exercise on my part where the POV is that of a child who is no longer living. I hope that clears things up a bit.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Scott
Great song with a great sound
Your vocals are exceptionally good
Absolutely great job Scott
Das hast Du wirklich sehr sehr gut gemacht
Wünsche Dir alles Gute für 2022
und weiterhin so tolle Ideen ;-)
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi: Happy New to You too and vielen dank for the kind words.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
the lyrics were a bit of an odd creative writing exercise on my part where the POV is that of a child who is no longer living. I hope that clears things up a bit.

OHHHHH! That does throw a whole new light on the subject. I appreciate the clarity. What's great about online forums is we can actually ask the writer questions. In the old days of reading lyrics off of album covers, things remained a mystery. Later, when the Internet came along, we sometimes got answers, and they were often disappointing. I remember finally reading what Neil Young's Cowgirl in the Sand meant. It was just a girl he saw at the beach - nothing more than that.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Ezekiel.
You could try style "Save Me". Even 8 at around 85bpm.
I agree that the harmonica shouldn't be playing while you are singing.

Vic

Thanks, Vic. I will check out that style. I tried and recorded many different ones.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott,
Honestly I think you got it "right" this time smile Sounds very good. Arrangement, vocals, performance. Everything fits very nicely and listens very well. Actually I think vocals are one of your best. Also, I believe this is your vocal EQ sweet spot. They sit very comfortably in the mix. Curios if somebody else can comment who have heard your other songs. Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!
Misha.

P.S. Interestingly, right after your tune there was J&B tune in playlist. I consider Bud of of the most skillful people here for mixing acoustic songs. Transition from yours to theirs was very smooth on ears, to me it says a lot smile

Misha, even though my ears can't hear what a lot of what you and others hear in the mixes, I am trying to improve in that department. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Another song by Ezekiel Storm is enough to get me hooked, Scott. I really like the harmonica, and of course your vocal is always the best. At first I agreed with the distraction factor of the harmonica, but then felt like this was more of a campfire song where we can imagine someone just pulling it out of their pocket to play along because they were inspired.

Thanks, Marty. I appreciate your feedback, especially about the vocals---those I am always unsure of.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Boy glad you didn't shelve this song. Awesome vocal. Backtrack was very cool. Loved when the harp kicked in. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,350
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213