Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nothin' Never Happens on Soundcloud
Nothin' Never Happens on YouTube

This is an original song about someone who just doesn't get that 2 negatives equals a positive. If you listen and feel inclined to comment, I thoroughly appreciate your time. Please, not to worry if it's a negative comment; they will have positive results.

QUESTION: How do you folks handle squeaks from an acoustic guitar?

Style is _MY_AMP.STY (My Woes Blues w Amplitube Bass)
RealTracks in style: 2674:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Blues12-8Brent Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 1924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Sol Sw 060
RealDrums [in style:BluesRock128^3-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Utility Track: 2428: Piano

Dave Bell added a heavy dose of Blue Attitude with a great fills track, the perfect solo track, and by replacing the electric rhythm guitar. I played the bass and sang –again, never at the same time.

Nothin' Never Happens

While strollin' home one night, oh, a princess I did see
She spoke and set my heart a twitter. She said, Come sit here a spell with me
I tried to run away, but my body bade me stay
Nothin' in my life had ever come to me this way

Nothin' never happens for no reason. Something always seems to steal the show
How could this be my fate
This twist does not relate, cuz nothin' never happens to this flow

We sat till dawn and talked. Then I held her to me close
The morning air was cold and bitter, but she kept me warm from head to toes
She said, Let's run away. Let's find someplace to play
Nothin' I could do but just smile and say, Okay

Nothin' never happens for no reason. Something usually takes it all away
It turned out rather bad. She stole all that I had, and nothin' never happens when I pray

So every day I try, oh, to scale this slippery slope
My shoes are soaked with grease and glitter, and there's nothin' left to fuel my hope
Yet still I must endure this life so insecure
Nothin' in my life will ever smile on me, I'm sure

Nothin' never happens for no reason. Something always seems to spoil the show
I cannot stay afloat with holes inside my boat, and nothin' never happens when I row

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I won't never not like this song... Not never clever ever...
But seriously, a fine production, indeed.
Very impressive playin' singin' and mixin'... Great job Y'all.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Always like the stories in your songs!
This is no exception.
Nice mix.

Many of my recordings suffer from that.
I've been told there are products you can apply to the strings to reduce that.....I have not gone in that direction.
Lifting your fretting hand instead of sliding works but,..........sometimes you just need to slide.

Here's what I do:
#1 Cut the volume/gain on those squeaks.
That can take time, as it's a rather tedious task but, it works.
I'm in Studio One V5, they added a feature called "Gain Envelope" that allows you to make gain adjustments within the track similar to volume automation.
If you zoom in on your track to locate those squeaks, you'll quickly develop an eye for identifying the squeaks in the wave form.

#2 Use an EQ/Deesser.
This may work but, if applied to the entire track, it can have a negative effect on the balance of the track, it needs to be used carefully.

#3 A combination of #1 & #2 can be a great remedy when used gently.

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 02/08/22 03:03 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very good song. Great mix. You and Dave always play well together, this one included. Good video too. You write good lyrics too:

"Nothin' never happens for no reason" - that's some kind of universal truth.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Video,excellent vox and story, Dave's great guitar playing. The whole package is very entertaining.Well done.
regards
Gary.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Outstanding vocal, bass, Dave's guitar, and the mix.

Loved it.

I leave the guitar squeaks in my songs. But if you really want to get rid of them you could try flat wound strings for acoustic guitar:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Flatwound--6-String-Sets-for-Acoustic-Guitar.gc#narrowSideBar

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
not my genre...BUT...
gotta say this is a cool character song.
lots of nice lyrics and geetar licks...

nice final note.

best/happiness.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done Marty,
the song and performances are really cool and conscripting The Ringer is icing on the cake.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fun song, and your vocals are a great match to the lyrics. laugh

As for the guitar squeaks, the best option is probably a spectral editor like this.

This is built into Reaper, and likely to be a feature in other DAWS as well. It's not magic, but it can help a lot.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty and Dave,

I like the way you sing these kind of stories. Always expecting something funny happens, but that is because your voice has something comical in it's tone. I like that. But I have heard you sing sad stories too and you did that very intense. So, the perfect mood is in the vocals... and lyrics of course.
And you made a good correction while singing, in the line: 'Something always seems to steal the show'by naming it 'spoil'. Makes a whole difference.

Daves' contribute to this song was very 'delicious'. That man can play that guitar so well...

About the queeks of Captain Moto: I like to keep them in the song. They make it feels so real.

Well done, Marty. I've enjoyed it.
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Hi Marty and Dave
really cool song
The lyrics are very good
I like it especially because you can hear a lot of craftsmanship out of it
I think that's the only way the song works best
You both do a fantastic job again
Plus an outstanding video that makes the song even more intense
great job guys
To the initial question: I actually like it when the acoustic guitar squeaks.
Belongs somehow to it. If the squeak is too loud in the mix,
however, you can try to tone it down with a de-esser - it will never disappear completely.
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

A great listen. Such a groove!

Man! your Bass sounds good!!

Dave's guitar is excellent (as always).

Solid vocal. Solid mix.

(I found the snare sound too bright - highEQish - it pulled my ear away for a while)

never say never

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
I won't never not like this song... Not never clever ever...
But seriously, a fine production, indeed.
Very impressive playin' singin' and mixin'... Great job Y'all.

Thanks for your ever clever comment, bloc-head. Seriously, thank you.

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Always like the stories in your songs!
This is no exception.
Nice mix.

Many of my recordings suffer from that.
I've been told there are products you can apply to the strings to reduce that.....I have not gone in that direction.
Lifting your fretting hand instead of sliding works but,..........sometimes you just need to slide.

Here's what I do:
#1 Cut the volume/gain on those squeaks.
That can take time, as it's a rather tedious task but, it works.
I'm in Studio One V5, they added a feature called "Gain Envelope" that allows you to make gain adjustments within the track similar to volume automation.
If you zoom in on your track to locate those squeaks, you'll quickly develop an eye for identifying the squeaks in the wave form.

#2 Use an EQ/Deesser.
This may work but, if applied to the entire track, it can have a negative effect on the balance of the track, it needs to be used carefully.

#3 A combination of #1 & #2 can be a great remedy when used gently.

Thanks, Captain!! Great advice on the squeaks too. For the most part I tend to leave them in because it gives an authentic sound, but occasionally there's one that just has to go. I usually just get in real close and delete it, but recently doing a song for a friend I had way too many in a slow, quiet song. So I went with #1 above, and you're right, it's tedious.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very good song. Great mix. You and Dave always play well together, this one included. Good video too. You write good lyrics too:

"Nothin' never happens for no reason" - that's some kind of universal truth.

Thanks jptjptjpt!! Dave really does make these songs a lot more interesting. As for the title, it could also be read Something Always Happens For No Reason. wink

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Video,excellent vox and story, Dave's great guitar playing. The whole package is very entertaining.Well done.
regards
Gary.

Thanks, Gary!!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty & Dave

A really easy listen, melodic, and fun.

Great playing by you and Dave - loved the solo.

Top notch entertainment.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

Thats a sweet sound you put together here! Your vocal really shines! You know already how I feel about your bass playing....it's always fantastic! Also, you can NEVER go wrong with Dave supplying the guitar work...it's always spot on and sounding great! Great bluesy tune! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wonderful blues. Wonderful vocals. Nothing I can say that isn't good about this song. Loved the humour in the story. You make it all sound deceptively easy - seriously, serious congratulations.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very very good song!
We like the lyrics too.
Guitar is great.
About the tweaks: we use Cubase an when it's really too much, we cut exactly on the left and right of the tweak and take it down a bit.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice story, keeps the listener interested and waiting for the final conclusion. You have described the insecurity of life vividly and tragicomically, I like that. I read a good advice just recently: "Don't never use no double negatives". Traditional blues feel played by an excellent and cool band with 2021 Award winning players smile

Funny association as a side note: after listening to your song several times, Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life started playing in my head: "Life's a piece of s*it When you look at it"

Janne

Last edited by jannesan; 02/10/22 10:01 AM.

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool tune Marty. Loved the groove. Bass really set the feel of the song. Dave's guitar is excellent.

Izotope RX9 works pretty good for taking out some of the unwanted noises. Can get quiet surgical with it. Spectral noise and guitar denoise work ok. Hi-mids can get whacked with to much.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Outstanding vocal, bass, Dave's guitar, and the mix.

Loved it.

I leave the guitar squeaks in my songs. But if you really want to get rid of them you could try flat wound strings for acoustic guitar:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Flatwound--6-String-Sets-for-Acoustic-Guitar.gc#narrowSideBar

Thanks, Mario. I often like the squeaks in too, but once in awhile one pops out in an annoying way --especially because the squeaks are usually off the beat while the hand is moving.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
not my genre...BUT...
gotta say this is a cool character song.
lots of nice lyrics and geetar licks...

nice final note.

best/happiness.
om

Thanks for listening, OM.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Well done Marty,
the song and performances are really cool and conscripting The Ringer is icing on the cake.

Haha. Thanks, Ray. Yeah, The Ringer is a perfect moniker.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Fun song, and your vocals are a great match to the lyrics. laugh

As for the guitar squeaks, the best option is probably a spectral editor like this.

This is built into Reaper, and likely to be a feature in other DAWS as well. It's not magic, but it can help a lot.

Thanks, David. I'll have to check that out. Great advice.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197