Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Despite the title, this song is not about covid.

BACKSTORY
In 2020, shortly after the appearance of signs that covid was becoming a pandemic, my part of Australia went into lockdown. And because I was a school teacher, my classes were conducted as remote lessons over the internet. I was teaching senior high school chemistry at the time.

To try and make life a little more interesting for my students, I encouraged everyone to do something different as our remote classes progressed and something that was fun and outside of lessons. Some examples of what eventuated include: a boy who took up making fine cheesecakes; a student who developed a trombone-based comedy show; a girl who decided to learn to draw, etc. For my part, I took up trying to teach myself rock piano. I also told my students that since this was most likely my last year at high school, I'd write them a song to send them on their way at the end of the year.

My idea for the song was based on what advice I could pass onto my students as they journeyed onto university/college in 2021. I also wanted to encourage them to make the most of wherever they find themselves in the future.

This is that song.

Please feel free to be constructively critical.

Regards,
Noel

======

The BIAB & Friends Band
Bass: 1843, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 110
Guitar: 2721, Nylon, Fingerpicking SwingBrent Sw 110
Ukulele: 1142, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 110
String Quartet: 2452, Rhythm PopSwingHall Sw 110
Organ: MIDI using Dimension Pro softsynth

Drums: AfucheShakerSw8^01; Hand claps (loop); Woodblock, EZ Drummer 2.

Processing in Reaper and Realband
Guitar: CLA Unpluggeed; JS Channel Time Delayer
Vocals: Nectar 3, ReaEQ, ReaDelay, ReaFir, ReaComp, ReaTune
Harmony: PG Music's Harmonizer in Realband
Final Output: Ozone 9

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, it's always great to see you come back around with a song! You've always been one of my favorite artists here! Every song is always put together with a loving touch and are enjoyable! Loved this one! The vocal is super, and the backstory makes it all the better! Take care, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great to see you back!

A great song with a very important message

Super mix and a great vocal

"You’re the captain of keeping happy", what a great line

Two thumbs up

Seated at the restaurant, He "Darling can you say something that makes my heart beat faster"?
She "Your wife just walked in"!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This song is just beautifully done. True for all the days of our lives.

Also, you are one cool teacher - wonderful backstory.

Josie

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent song/production with a refreshingly positive feel... The vocal sounded perfect to me. The arrangement was very good, but I thought the initial percussion track may have come in a little early and strong, and then ended abruptly, (first impression).
I loved the lyric and performance... Wonderful!

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Swimming against the current, (affairs), with a hopeful and encouraging song.
An uncluttered and solid mix supports a cool melody.
The shaker (?) could be faded in just a tad, remain a tiny bit lower in level and cut clean rather than that tiny fade tail after the 1st round.
It's really important we bolster positivity and you do that in spades.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice to hear a new one from you, Noel. Inspiring backstory and an uplifting song with your usual great vocal. A breath of fresh air in these trying times.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love that backstory, Noel. "...a trombone-based comedy show"? Wow! That's worth an A. So is your song here. Great advice from an obviously caring teacher. When the shaker came in without without the kit, it sounded a bit disruptive to me, but later it was perfect. I like the hook in the title.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Noel, it's always great to see you come back around with a song! You've always been one of my favorite artists here! Every song is always put together with a loving touch and are enjoyable! Loved this one! The vocal is super, and the backstory makes it all the better! Take care, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and to comment. I always appreciate your thoughts.

All the very best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's easy to be carried away gently by this song. Soothing and reassuring.

I love the subtle intensifying on the choruses with superb backing vocals.

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This has all the hallmarks of your best songs: upbeat, positive and toe-tapping.

A bit overly sentimental for my taste - not really a complaint! - but it left me feeling better than before I started listening. So... well done! laugh

I really liked the echo on the chorus. Harmony was nice as well.

On the critical side, the mix felt quiet. I kept boosting up the volume. It could just be that you aren't playing the same volume wars that the rest of us are.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel

Both a sensational tribute and wonderful advice that you have offered to your young team.

Prudent advice, delivered with quality guidance: 'And enjoy life like it's a fine wine'

Sensational vocals, including an impressive vocal backing.

You really have delivered, and there must be many young people who are honored to be part of "Noel's Band".

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really lovely musical advice, not just for your students but for every one of us. Melody walks nicely with confident and optimistic steps. The instrumentation develops like more people were joining the march forth, pun of today smile Very enjoyable vocals.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

A nice song. Great positive message.

Cool BAND. Don't think I've heard anyone use that nylon guitar - nice choice.

Excellent vocals.

Great to see you posting!!

fj

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I took a journey back in time a few days ago to have a look at my first ever Forum post. I read forum posts for about six months before ever venturing to post a comment. What prompted me out my shell was to comment a song you posted. Some things never change so it's appropriate to repost my first comment because it's fitting and suits your latest post: "I enjoyed your song and It stands well as it is. The song is well written and produced..."

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great to see you back!

A great song with a very important message

Super mix and a great vocal

"You’re the captain of keeping happy", what a great line

Two thumbs up

Hey Mario!

It's always great to read you. I hope that things are travelling along well for you and yours.

Thanks for mentioning the lyric line. It took a while to find that one. As always, though, when a comfortable lyric arrives on the scene, I was left wondering why it took so long to find!

I appreciate that you had time to have a listen, thanks.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
This song is just beautifully done. True for all the days of our lives.

Also, you are one cool teacher - wonderful backstory.

Josie

Hi Josie,

It's super to see you!

I don't know about being a cool teacher, it was just a strategy that I thought of to help me keep my students motivated. Learning over the internet is pretty tedious because there is no direct interacting with people. The approach I adopted ended up working great. It gave us all something to talk about and helped keep everyone liking learning.

Last year, I came across the philosophy, "Learn to enjoy the inconvenience." I think that was what I was trying to accomplish... That with a bit of creative thinking, it's always possible to find something positive when the going gets tough.

Take care. And thank you for listening and commenting.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Excellent song/production with a refreshingly positive feel... The vocal sounded perfect to me. The arrangement was very good, but I thought the initial percussion track may have come in a little early and strong, and then ended abruptly, (first impression).
I loved the lyric and performance... Wonderful!

Hi bloc-head.

Thanks for dropping in and for taking the time to listen and to pass on your thoughts. I appreciate the comment about the percussion. You and RayC have similar thoughts regarding the shaker. I'll definitely go back to the mix and have another listen. Thank you for drawing my attention to this.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Swimming against the current, (affairs), with a hopeful and encouraging song.
An uncluttered and solid mix supports a cool melody.
The shaker (?) could be faded in just a tad, remain a tiny bit lower in level and cut clean rather than that tiny fade tail after the 1st round.
It's really important we bolster positivity and you do that in spades.

Hi Ray!

I hope that all is going well in your part of Queensland. The floods have been terrible.

Thanks for passing through the thread. I always appreciate your thoughts. You have a great ear when it comes to identifying those areas of a production that can be improved. Bloc-head also thought that the shaker could be placed a little better in the mix. Now that you've drawn my attention to it, I'll definitely go back and have another listen and play around with the mix. Much appreciated.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bud here: As likely the oldest guy on the forum I can more than appreciate this!

J&B here: We love the lyric, the melody, the band and your performances. I (Janice) am reminded of many of George Harrison's songs that always make me smile, as this one does.

Your vocals are great and those counterpoint voices are ace.

The chorus should be printed on posters and sold to remind folks of the treasure of each day! "Give it your all, my friend." YES!

Those sure are some lucky students to have had you for their teacher. smile

And the band choices and mix set up a wonderful open soundstage.
Great choice of FX!

Excellent.

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,382
Posts743,958
Members38,761
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members