Options
Index
#718526 - 05/30/22 05:52 AM [User Showcase] Alone in a Crowd
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Alone in a Crowd

The lyrics for this song were written by my wife, Kathy. Lead vocal by Christiane (Chris) Spruit.

We also have a video for this song, here: Alone in a Crowd on Youtube

The Band:

2921:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkSlowSw16Mike Sw16 060
3099:Organ, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsMike Ev16 060
3541:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockSlowFingerStrum Sw16 060
3542:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockSlow Sw16 060
3334:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesPopSlow16thsSol ev16 065
4023:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModCountryBalladPower8thsMute Ev16 075

Bassman extraordinaire, Marty Straub from BabuMusic, on Electric Bass and BGV's (last chorus)

I'm playing the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar during the chorus, and did a BGV.

I used EZDrummer3 to build the drum track.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone.

Alone in a Crowd (2022, Kathy Bell)

She stands alone with hungry eyes
All the people are rushing on by
Holding up masks that hide the truth
the truth behind their lies

TV blares to mask the silence 
They sit together yet all alone
Words unspoken, thoughts unheard
a love once strong now outgrown

One child watches others play
Hoping they will look his way
But the others laugh and play all day
And never ever look his way

Chorus:

Hearts that ache, and souls that long
For a special place to belong
To be on the outside looking in
alone in the crowd

All comments welcome!

EDIT: Uploaded a new mix based on comments from Nigel, thanks, Nigel!

Edited by BlueAttitude (06/02/22 02:41 AM)
Edit Reason: add video link

#718529 - 05/30/22 05:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
THIS is outstanding, Dave. You KNOW I love this song. Kathy is so good on the lyrics, and you know that you and Chris are my favorite bandmates. such a good mix.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#718537 - 05/30/22 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: California
Brad Williams Offline
Apprentice

Loc: California
Great song. Wonderful writing. The song drew me in immediately. Loved the guitar work. Nice tone and fits in the melody very well, and I've been a Marty Straub fan since I've been on the forum. You've got quite a band there, and it really gels together well on this song. Thanks for posting.

#718541 - 05/30/22 07:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: United States
Dewey_MI Offline
Apprentice

Great collaborative effort! Great vibe, vocals, and lyrics. The lyrics definitely tell the story but I might suggest that v3 be revisited to add some imagery as the other verses do. Thanks for posting this one!

#718547 - 05/30/22 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Dave, Kathy, Marty and Chris,

This is a classic Blue Attitude offering with great lyrics that really suit a bluesy type of tune like this! Perfect moody backing for Chris's haunting stellar vocal! Dave I really like the mastering you did on this with Ozone! You've got a great full sound going on! Marty, I love that bass part you played...you're walking all over the place and hitting all the right notes to really carry this tune. Dave, I really like the solos you play here, but what really caught my attention was all that clever rhythm work you were doing in the verses! Enjoyed it as always!

Thanks, Torrey

#718556 - 05/30/22 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
F.M.M. Offline
Veteran

wow great production love your vocals Christiane and Dave perfect on the guitar you know exactly what to do great job. and Marty love your bass work always good choices always, the mix was clear and crisp with the right amount of bass thanks for sharing Eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#718557 - 05/30/22 09:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
PROJECT M Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
Hello Kathy, Chris, Dave and Marty.
Excellent collaboration
A song that convinces from the beginning
Very good lyrics and vocals
Great guitar and bass work
Extremely good artwork
Full score !
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

#718584 - 05/30/22 12:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Kathy wrote a very powerful lyric.

Chris’s soulful vocal was perfect.

Speaking of soul, what a beautiful melody and exquisite guitar performance by you. Marty’s bass is as always attentive to and supportive of what's going on at the moment in the mix.

Yours and Marty’s harmonies really shine on this too.

Great soundstage ... so good thru our monitors (newish ones with an 8" sub).

Excellent!

J&B

#718591 - 05/30/22 01:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Kudos to Kathy for the write. Nice.

Chris does her usual stellar job on vocals.

Marty's bass is gorgeous, as always.

The always-perfect Dave guitar work!

Drums sound really good. Mix is excellent.

Strong in all regards.

fj

#718600 - 05/30/22 02:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Dave

This is really good. Everything comes together beautifully.

Great guitars, vocals, bass lyrics and drum programming.

Wonderful song!

Peter

#718604 - 05/30/22 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
That is one sad guitar. Fits the (well-written) song perfectly. Excellent production all-round.

#718613 - 05/30/22 06:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
A full serving of blues rock balladry with a side of excellent harmony vocals.
The bass is all the carbs needed and the lead ads the chilli to spice up the smooooth vocal.
Terrific lyrics too.

#718619 - 05/30/22 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Dave,

This a winner:

- Great vocals at the perfect level. There are a lot of words in the verses and she handles this very well.
- Superb Choruses.
- Excellent guitar work - I would love to hear it a bit louder and shorter reverb to match the vocals.
- Good mix.

Great work Dave - one of your best.

Best Regards
Nigel

#718627 - 05/31/22 02:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BabuMusic]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
THIS is outstanding, Dave. You KNOW I love this song. Kathy is so good on the lyrics, and you know that you and Chris are my favorite bandmates. such a good mix.

Thanks for everything, Marty smile

#718683 - 06/01/22 02:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: Dewey_MI]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Great song. Wonderful writing. The song drew me in immediately. Loved the guitar work. Nice tone and fits in the melody very well, and I've been a Marty Straub fan since I've been on the forum. You've got quite a band there, and it really gels together well on this song. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for giving this a listen and thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Great collaborative effort! Great vibe, vocals, and lyrics. The lyrics definitely tell the story but I might suggest that v3 be revisited to add some imagery as the other verses do. Thanks for posting this one!

I actually really like V3 so it's not going anywhere, but thanks for the suggestion!

Happy you liked the song.

#718690 - 06/01/22 04:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Dave, Kathy & Chris,

This song has such a fresh feel, but with a great amount of edginess and tension from within the arrangement.

Loved it!

Bob

#718724 - 06/01/22 09:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome song. Super vocal from Chris and excellent harmonies. Guitar was perfect for the tune as was Marty's bass lines. Well done

#718740 - 06/01/22 12:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Wonderful song Dave,
Very good vocals and compliments for your wife!
And great lead guitar!

Rob and Anne-Marie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

#718753 - 06/01/22 04:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Kathy's lyrics + Marty's bass + Dave's leads +Chris's outstanding vocal = one outstanding masterpiece of music.

Great mix also

Loved it

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#718785 - 06/02/22 02:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Alone in a Crowd [Re: F.M.M.]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave, Kathy, Marty and Chris,

This is a classic Blue Attitude offering with great lyrics that really suit a bluesy type of tune like this! Perfect moody backing for Chris's haunting stellar vocal! Dave I really like the mastering you did on this with Ozone! You've got a great full sound going on! Marty, I love that bass part you played...you're walking all over the place and hitting all the right notes to really carry this tune. Dave, I really like the solos you play here, but what really caught my attention was all that clever rhythm work you were doing in the verses! Enjoyed it as always!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks very much, Torrey!

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
wow great production love your vocals Christiane and Dave perfect on the guitar you know exactly what to do great job. and Marty love your bass work always good choices always, the mix was clear and crisp with the right amount of bass thanks for sharing Eric

Appreciate that, Eric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36176 Members
64 Forums
74786 Topics
656813 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
npwnick, Sir Joe, Encelia, Gorkin, wshutts

36175 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 246