Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Steve.
some of my bb stats....useing my old i5.
1. 100 bars bb mix to stereo wav...40 secs.
2. boot into bb from win desktop..4 secs at most.
3. regen a trak ...same as 2 , 4 secs at most.
4. cliking >+ regen button or double clicking on a bar ,
same deal mate 4 secs or less.

ps i reckon what happens with regens is the low level bb code is prolly filling a few buffers then starts playing ..ie advanced look ahead buffer mgt // programming.
thus creating illusion of speed , similar to what mainstream daw multitraks do....fill buffers etc.

happiness/cheers.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I'll take note of that. I'm still in the middle of rebuilding my PC so it may be a bit before I have BIAB re-loaded.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
+++ HERE +++ is an article about modular Panasonic Laptops.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Well tonight I stood up my first virtual server with nvme and I am impressed.
I have never installed SQL server and management studio so fast in my life.

This server is going to be very impressive once it gets Live.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Great to hear! I'm still having a blast on my new image too!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Steve and Rharv.

as you know i'm getting a new studio pc.

but as most come with win 11...my concern is i never put studio pc's on the net....so following is worrying ...

ie i'm reading that win 11 soon might be closed off to users without an internet connection ??
i read this on msn.com lifestyle if i remember.

the problem is not everyone wants to be on the net.
and including lots of IT depts that want to keep their systems safely isolated from the net.

have you guys seen the above ??
would like your input.

its sorta forcing me back to refurbs with win 10 .

gimme your input please...cos lots of studios small and large dont want the net....includeing moi

respect/best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/01/22 03:29 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I don't agree with the "keep it off the internet" philosophy. For me as an IT nerd there's no reason to keep my PC away from the internet. If I'm going to be doing something like recording music I simply turn off the network card to keep interruptions down (you could also pull the internet cable out). I also turn the network off overnight when I'm not on the PC. The default Win11 tool Windows Defender works fine for anti-virus protection. I don't go to suspicious web pages or click email links and very rarely get anything dangerous on my machine.

Keeping your computer off the internet just causes issues by not keeping your software up-to-date.

P.S. - I listened to some of your Soundcloud recordings, very nice work!

Steve

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Steve.
(ps thanks for listening to my sc songs.)

well prolly from what ive read lots of IT shops are not very happy bout it.

personally i dont like this ...cos, being from uk it harks back to the old days of the lord of the manor, and the serfs.

i'm a rebel lol !

i just feel many businesses these days seem to want control over our daily lives.

if pg had products for linux, i prolly would be all over it.
i just dont like being told what to do by a OS...lol.

happiness
om

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...but as most come with win 11...my concern is i never put studio pc's on the net. the problem is not everyone wants to be on the net.
...and including lots of IT depts that want to keep their systems safely isolated from the net.

well prolly from what ive read lots of IT shops are not very happy bout it.

i just feel many businesses these days seem to want control over our daily lives.

These opinions seem kind of odd with my experiences. I've worked in IT for companies in the States for about 20 years and have never heard about a push in the IT community to keep PCs from the internet.

As far as Windows 11, it's pretty much the same OS as Windows 10 but has some cosmetic differences. I've been using it since last fall when it was released and have been using it on my main PC, laptop and on my wife's laptop and absolutely no issues.

Not sure what you mean with businesses wanting to control your lives. Most companies just want to have lots of antivirus apps on employee machines to keep them from being compromised and that's been going on since the internet's been around. Other than that, companies usually like to block non-work related websites but they can do that since it's their equipment.

Can you elaborate for yourself specifically what you are worried about by having your machine connected to the internet? Nothing I've read so far seems to be justifiable in disconnecting.

Steve

Expert
Expert
I have a few Android Apps that will pop up "we need to renew your license" and refuse to run until it's done. No warnings. That can be a real frustration on a WiFi-only tablet when I'm away from home. IIRC both MobileSheetsPro and iRealPro do that. I use the former for setlists and leadsheets.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
The debate bout putting ones pc daw on the net or not has been going on for ages…like the mac vs pc debates…lol, ..so i dont want to extend it much more.
Just google etc.
I just found a gearspace thread going back to 2010 on the subject....

https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/556961-can-i-use-daw-without-internet-access.html

The concern being dpc spikes and infection of the daw etc if on the net,..and the possibility of a non daw program impacting a running daw program.

I choose not to allow my pc on the net like lots of studios and others choose to allow the net.
Just go on www.gearspace.com and recording.org and search for topics like ‘should i allow my daw pc on the net’. Or post ones own topic in that vein. Youll get lots of comments.

Various commercial enterprises choose to ‘air gap’ their computers from the net. (see wiki and google).

I have a junker refurb for the net, and this el cheapo 100 buckies chromebook which i’m very happy with btw …its fast…also for the net. Just personai choice.

best//happiness
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/02/22 02:08 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Agreed, personal choice. You don't have to approve my point of view and I won't try to comprehend yours.... smile

Steve

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I honestly don't have the energy to read the whole thread here, so apologies if I'm repeating stuff, but just wanted to add a couple things:

First, yes it's possible to add a PCIe card to mount some NVMe SSD's to a machine that doesn't have any M.2 slots. However, if the CPU/BIOS/etc of that computer is too old it will not be able to boot from that SSD, but Windows should be able to access it after bootup. There may be workarounds depending on your machine (aftermarket BIOS, bootloaders, etc), but I haven't personally tried any of them.

Second, yes PCIe SSD's are faster than Sata SSD's, but in most cases it's unnecessary to upgrade if you already have some sort of SSD. Access time is more important than throughput, and for audio-related tasks most people won't notice the upgrade. Of course, other non-audio tasks could see a speed improvement, so by all means go for it if you want to.

Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Fortunately, if doing audio, you don’t need a very fast computer.

Indeed. I regularly use a 10-year old laptop that has a 2nd gen i5, 16gb of ram, and a 500gb Sata SSD. No problems whatsoever.

A friend of mine uses a 13-year-old iMac with a Core2Duo and 6gb of ram (not 16, 6!), also with a Sata SSD. We collaborate on tunes a fair amount. He doesn't run into any performance issues.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.

I’m interested in getting heavy into m2/nvme ssd and a new system for a few reasons..eg.

1. A 500gb m2 stick is 60 bucks or so . For great performance so its a no brainer imho.
I dont need frankly gigundous drives cos once a song is done i offload it to multiple off site backups anyway.
2. I want to get heavy into orchestral libs. And i’m very interested in seeing what synergies of merging some of my crazy rock ideas with orch instruments can work.

BUT from everything ive seen/heard sometimes people have problems adding big orch libs cos their rigs arent often up to the job of handling orch libs.

Yep thanks i’m aware of the boot issue , …just another wrinkle. lol.

Ive been reading up on pcie6 also…wow what a spec. Lol. interesting times ahead.

Best.
om

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Absolutely OM, if you have the choice of NVMe vs Sata then always go NVMe, the minimal price difference is worth it. In general though if you can't go NVMe then Sata is perfectly fine for most people.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Justanoldmuso,

You might like +++ THIS +++ article about the 7.0 PCI Express standard. shocked Don't worry, they are not expecting the release of 7.0 until 2025.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Jim.
re pcie 7.
eek lol.

what we need is cheaper intel high end processors to beat the very fine apple M series processors.

btw if anyone is looking for a 2 mic pre usb interface...
apparently cad have brought out the u connect 2.
dunno how good it is. as always try and test out/rent before buying. its 70 bucks us apparently.

https://www.cadaudio.com/products/new-products/cx2

see the link n i guess you tube/google for more info.
and videos for intro and set up with pc or mac.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/29/22 07:34 AM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
what we need is cheaper intel high end processors to beat the very fine apple M series processors.

Intel is looking at creating hybrid X86 and ARM chips. I'm not certain this is a good idea, as really the way forward is to abandon the X86 architecture, but here you go: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/331740-intel-plans-to-license-cores-that-combine-arm-risc-v-and-x86

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.

I DO agree bout a move away from x86…its time.
Its also interesting to see how intel might respond not only to the m series , but also the ryzens taking market share.
I suspect from my background in a previous life with tech marketing…that intel might drop x86 prices….to combat threats. We shall see.
Eg already the i3 12300 has come out with its interesting single thread passmark score over 3000…which is good for daw work.
I used to do songs yonks ago with a humble athlon lol. I3 Certainly beats that by a mile.

As a stop gap till the processor tech and pcie stabilises, i still feel the off lease
Superb hp z (and lenovo and dell) workstation tower pc’s are a great alternative short term , due to their power//expandeability//low prices//saveings and warranties and the fact that windows is included.
I worked out even if i built a pc i cant beat the advantages of above refurbs , one reason alone being that on a self build the windows cost. its included with refurbs.

It still amazes me how many people buy a often underpowered pc (for daw work) instead the nice refurbs…
Eg for 320 bucks. ive seen hp z 240 with ssd included and win 10.
With lots of expandeability.

Heres a interesting site for cheap refurb workstations (also other desktopslaptops etc)

https://www.wintroniccomputers.com/474-0/refurbished/computer-workstation

Also check out dell refurbished…
Eg what a deal for 250 bucks ..

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bus...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

look at the large no of us ports on above instead a limited laptop or mini pc. one prob with mac mini is
lack of upgradeability // few ports. but i love the m processor.

Happiness.
Om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/05/22 02:42 AM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
As a stop gap till the processor tech and pcie stabilises...

What's unstable about the current processor tech and PCIE? I have a 9th gen and 11th gen Intel machine (i9-9900K and i5-11400) both with NVMe drives, and both are way faster than necessary for typical audio work.

I always say - if you wait for technology to "catch up" to anything, you'll be waiting forever. Something new and exciting is always just around the corner. Unless you need specific hardware for a specific purpose, the best thing you can do is just buy what you can afford and be happy with it.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195