Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#734491 10/12/22 08:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What About Tomorrow

One of my neighbors is going through a hard time. Her relationship with her guy seems to be losing steam. She commented to me yesterday that when she's with him, it's wonderful. But she's not sure he shares the same joy as much. She wonders about his long-term commitment. She said she always wonders if he'll be back tomorrow.

I know she's a big country music fan, particularly country music of the 80s and 90s and is fond of pedal steel. So I went home last night and put this together for her. I'll take copy of it to her this evening. Hope she likes it.

I, too, am a huge fan of the pedal steel. I don't think it gets enough attention in todays country music.

A little about how I composed this based solely around the ten-minute conversation I had with her:

The verses are supposed to tell the story. I used mostlty major chords to express her ability to cope and keep a relatively strong outer appearance while yet subtly alluding to to deeper concerns.

A chorus is supposed to gather and reflect the results of the cumulative messages in the verses in a more cohesive and pronounced manner. You might say a chorus augments and fills in the blanks left in the verses. So, I constructed the chorus to capture her inner sadness via the minor chords and a stronger bass line for empasis. The drums are also a little fuller.

The ending came across as a bit anti-climatic when I listened to this rendering the first time. I thought about doing another rendering with a more difinitive ending. But, as I thought about it more, I concluded I, indeed, had the perfect ending as it was. The end of her days leave her with the insecurity of the relationship possibly not continuing, sort of a nothing, nowhere feeling - nothing solid to look forward too. I then thought this simple ending captured that feeling of nothingness and despair. So I kept it.

Also, the snare drum is a bit loud throughout. That's intentional. I thought it might represent how her heart pounds as her insecurity presses on her day and night.

Sorry for the litany. But I though some of you might be interested in an example of how I write themed-based and spec songs. Regardless, hope you might enjoy my 6 hours of work with this result.

I replaced the drums from the style. I added the pedal steel. I added a second drum track for the choruses.

The pedal steel track is by Paul Franklin. From the late 80s through recent years, he's been one of the favorites on Nashville's A- List of steel players for session work. I've always admired him.

Thanks for listening, if you do.

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 10/12/22 08:10 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I like it, especially the chorus speaks to me.
I think the song deserves vocals!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like it, especially the chorus speaks to me.
I think the song deserves vocals!

Thanks BD ...

I agree the song is in search of a lyric and vocalist. But if you go back and listen to one of the songs on which I did the vocal, you'll understand why it's an instrumental at this point. But I'm open to a vocal if anyone dares to do so.

Also, if anyone ever decides to put a vocal to it, I'll drop the snare back a bit in ther mix. It works fine, as is, for an instrumental, but it would interfere with a vocal.

Thanks for the listen asnd nice commnents.

Ala n

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan,

I really love listening to your music.

When it comes to chord progressions and melodies, you are the master. In your songs, everything flows so easily and so smoothly from measure to measure. Musicianship is everywhere. That was what struck me most about "What About Tomorrow."

Whenever I hear a pedal steel, it always tugs at my emotions. This instrument captures feelings of sadness, hopefulness, longing and uncertainty extremely well. And because of this, I thought it was a perfect fit for the melody. It managed to recreate in sound, everything that I read in the backstory.

This is fine music and fine listening at its very best.

Please say "Hi" to Di from me smile

All the very best to you both,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Noel ...

Well, I'm nearly blushing as I type this. How does one properly reply to such a wonderful review? I/m not sure, but I'll start with a sincere "Thank you very much".

Although I played Country music professionally for 95% of my music performing career (about 50 years), I've always had an interest in most of the other genres. I'm not musically literate. I don't appreciably read or write musical notation. I simply listen to a lot of music and have taught myself to play by dedicating many, many hours of practice to all genres. I know chord structure (mechanical structure, not theory structure) fairly instinctively. I can hear chord patterns in my head and usually pretty much know what they're basically going to sound like before I ever pick up my guitar and play them.

I basically explained my approach to composition in the narrative. One of these days, I'll post a video of me playing. I had reconstructive surgery on my left elbow earlier this year and have very little feeling in my left hand. But it is slowly returning. The surgeon said it would take 18 to 20 months for the feeling to fully return, to the extent it will. I reminded him, with an accompanying laugh, that I'm almost 76 years old - long term prognostications may not be rewarding!

Anyway, thank you so much for the very kind words. I'll pass on your greetings to Di when she wakes up tomorrow morning. It's 10:00 pm Wednesday night here in Alabama. She'll appreciate them, as do I.

Hope you are continuing to do well. Wishing you everything good ...

Alan & Di

Last edited by Al-David; 10/12/22 04:57 PM.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Alan,

Very nice chord progression and yes - very tasty pedal steel.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a good one Alan.
AS mentioned it does sit up and ask to be sung.
I didn't start to appreciate pedal steel until Elvis Costello did his country album...Sneaky Pete surely did a great job of translating the anger, bitterness and loss on that album.
COOL!

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sweet sounds from a wonderful neighbor. Really enjoyed the backstory. Just wondering if the guy EVER seemed as joyous as she did. Some people are more reserved in their excitement. I like how you illustrate feeling in major and minor, and the snare didn't bother me at all. Jerry Garcia was my first love of the pedal steel in "Teach Your Children." This is a really good tune with much emotion. Man, I'd like to talk with you for 10 minutes and see what we write from that. hehe Much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed it, Alan. I do hope you return for another song updating the neighbors woes.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

Another gorgeous instrumental.
Filled with emotion.
Excellent mix.
Great job with the steel. It sounds like a true player doing a real line. So well thought out.

.fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan...another great example of your masterful work with BiaB...love the steel (if you want emotion that's the way to go) and the snare drives the song very well...well crafted and produced! Dan

Last edited by firesong; 10/13/22 09:31 AM.

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

Such a beautiful and emotional tune...

You have a great feel for these instrumentals - they almost sound vocal to me.

Love the production as well - completely suits the song / mood.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Al-David,

Nice instrumental composition full of sensitivity. Well done, I enjoyed it.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Al,

I like this a lot. I like the way the verse swept musically into the chorus. I thought from reading that the drum might stick out like a sore thumb for me but it did not. I understand your shying away from vocals, I'm the same way, but it's fun to imagine how this might sound with some vox. Just fine as is, though.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

Love the feeling and emotion you summon in this song. Beautiful...

Great mix and arrangement.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello to you both, and good one.

There's tension between the piano and the pedal steel which I sort of want to resolve, lol, but it fits well with your aim to express deeper concerns. Oh, I like the drums and didn't find the snare too loud.

Scott

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Al
Hope you are well
What a beautiful song
Dreamlike melody
Sounds fantastic, Al
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Alan,

Very nice chord progression and yes - very tasty pedal steel.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks so much, Nigel. Glad you enjoyed it!

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
It's a good one Alan.
AS mentioned it does sit up and ask to be sung.
I didn't start to appreciate pedal steel until Elvis Costello did his country album...Sneaky Pete surely did a great job of translating the anger, bitterness and loss on that album.
COOL!

Hi Ray ...

Aplogies for the late replt - been very busy the past 2 days. Elvis Costello introduced many people to country music. he's performed with quite a few country performers.

I grew up with the pedal stell, having played in Country bands from 1963 through the late 1990s. It's one of my very favorite instruments.

Bring on the lyric and vocals!

Thanks ...

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan,

Yes, the steel guitar is really doing a great job here.
It almost 'sings".
I can feel the doubt in the music.
Your neighbour will love it!

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Sweet sounds from a wonderful neighbor. Really enjoyed the backstory. Just wondering if the guy EVER seemed as joyous as she did. Some people are more reserved in their excitement. I like how you illustrate feeling in major and minor, and the snare didn't bother me at all. Jerry Garcia was my first love of the pedal steel in "Teach Your Children." This is a really good tune with much emotion. Man, I'd like to talk with you for 10 minutes and see what we write from that. hehe Much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed it, Alan. I do hope you return for another song updating the neighbors woes.

Hey Marty ...

The neighborhood is always a better place when you show up - thanks for dropping in!

The lady wasn't particularly jealous, to the extenrt of my knowledge; she felt neglected and underappreciated.

I have virtually no kowledge of music theory - don't read or write notation appreciably. My knowledge of theory ends after: if I pluck the strings, press the keys, or blow into the mouthpiece, it should make a sound of some kind. After that, the knowledge bank goes broke very quickly.

I guess we'll have to talk for ten minutes sometime - longer would be even better - and see what happens! I get inspiration from various sources. Thje most unusual, probably, is roadside billboards. A number of years ago, I was driving from St. Louis to Memphis. Near Cape Girardeau, MO on I-55 there was a billboard for a Baptist Church. It invited folks to attend and receive ther gospel and Southern hopitality. I wrote a song called "Southern Gospetality" that made me a few dollars.

I also read the back pages of newspapers, look at quirky on-line sites, and listen to conversations wherever I am.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the composition! Thanks for the kind words!

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 10/15/22 10:13 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,383
Posts743,973
Members38,761
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members