Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#740081 - 11/21/22 05:46 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder)
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Hello forum friends. Hope all is well with you! I got a PM from David a little while back with some info about one of his posts. We decided to do a song together. I have always been a big fan of his music! He had a lyric which was a lovely metaphor about losing youthful passion and the magic of life as we age, a subject which is somewhat of a personal obsession with me lately. He wanted something with kind of a Sting vibe. I came up with the musical concept. We bounced the song back and forth a bit, and this is the way it ended up. Hope you like it! We'd love to hear what you think. Take care. David and Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/set-the-prisoner-free?si=0f8ca43ba09240af89409eb690ea17a0&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Players:

Bass. 533
Guitars. 2714, 526
Pad. 1840
Drums. County Shuffle 12-8 brushes
I added some midi as well (Moon guitar from Labs, Pan Flute from a Wind Instrument bundle, Mandolin from Komplete, Pad from Omnisphere)

SET THE PRISONER FREE

V1

How wonderful
Is the rain that falls
upon this golden valley
Reminding me
Of our joyful youth
In years of eternal spring
How magnificent
The golden sun
Upon the fields if morning
But I'm a prisoner now, of my aging heart
And I'm crying for release

CH

In my heart
I'm begging
Someone tell me who I used to be
And in my soul
I hear these words
please set the prisoner free
Yeah in my soul I hear these words
please set the prisoner free

V2
How marvelous
is the summer rain
When it comes without a warning
So tell me why
I feel so lost
It’s like my soul's in mourning
How far away
is the heaven now
I feel lost on land and sea
Yes, I'm a prisoner now, of my aging heart
And I'm crying for release

CH

In my heart….

Bridge

How long have I been
locked away
afraid of even dreaming
How far must I retrace my steps
to find the love I’ve been missing

In my heart…

#740085 - 11/21/22 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Hi David & Greg,

Nice song and well sung Greg.

Only minor comment - the vocal is lovely but a cut at around 120-150 Hz would take out the mic proximity boom and leave it nice and crisp.

Any room for an instrumental break?

Great work.

Best Regards
Nigel

#740095 - 11/21/22 08:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Great write - sad and mournful for a time lost. Smooth vocals, clear mix.

Lovely to listen to - excellent job both of you! smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#740150 - 11/22/22 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Two of my favorites, getting together. How could it not be marvelous?!

A beautiful write. What a nice melody!

Beautiful vocal.

A really nice production. Light, ethereal...

A delightful listen. (even with these aging ears smile )

fj

#740157 - 11/22/22 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
vicarn Online   content
Expert

Always good to hear one from you.
Vocal sounds a little muffled. Could be Nigel has the answer.

Vic

#740167 - 11/22/22 09:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
B.D.Thomas Offline
Journeyman

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
Indeed, it's 100 % Sting (minus the voice of course, but nobody else can sing like Sting).
I like it a lot! Great lyrics with a great voice and a really good arrangement and tasteful instrumentation.

Great work from all involved.

Me on YouTube

A worn acoustic guitar, an even older keyboard, some software and lots of ideas...

#740189 - 11/22/22 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: United States
Bass Thumper Offline
Expert

Loc: United States
I can hear the anguish in this.
No suprise here, but a tad more bass would be nice smile

You guys did a great job!

#740193 - 11/22/22 12:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Greg and David ..

A fantastic song! The lyric, backing tracks, arrangement, production, vocal - everything - sounds terrific. Multiple tips of ther hat to David for a gorgeous interpretation iof life's progress over the pages of the calender. And Greg, I think this is about as strong as I've ever heard you sing. There's gentle power in your voice.

What wonderful listen! best to bothg of you ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#740250 - 11/22/22 09:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
If you do try that low cut be careful not to kill off the fundamentals & render the vocal thin/reedy.
Possibly a better option to try some shallow scoops after finding the freqs that have bothered folk.
I like it as is...prox. effects suggests intimacy & that's a lot of what this song offers.
A lovely collaboration.

#740276 - 11/23/22 02:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: rayc]
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Hi Ray,

I think you are right - you don't want a thin vocal sound.

I start EQing all vocals by first rolling off everything below 120 Hz with a gentle Q of .71. This allows the vocals to sit down in the mix without competing with the bass and kick.
(The only exception is with a very deep male voice where a different setting may be required e.g. rolling off everything below 90 Hz)

If there is still some mud I look at frequencies around 250 Hz and try some gentle 2-4 DB cuts with a Q of around 1.25.
The challenge here is that 250 Hz is in the fundamental range of most singers so I very rarely use this cut.

The only place I add EQ (where necessary) is a 2-4 Db shelf starting at 5K and a Q of .71.

If you use the Nectar Plugin (Izotope) vocal presets - many of them include an EQ with the above three settings or similar (highly recommended plugin).

I hope this information is of assistance and look forward to hearing about other members' vocal EQ settings.

Best Regards
Nigel

#740303 - 11/23/22 06:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Oh, what a great coolab team. David Snyder & Greg Johnson, two of my favorite influences. DANG! What a terrific result. Yes, yes, yes, the magic of life as we age. It's so good to hear some of it coming from you two. This is an outstanding collab, and I hope you guys come out with a whole album. Beautifully done.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#740328 - 11/23/22 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Illinois, USA
firesong Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois, USA
Greg and David...this is a beautiful piece of music....my first thought was 'how pleasant this is to the ear'...my mind was opened to the message by the joy of listening....gorgeous arrangement and accompaniment...Greg, your vocal was stellar...and David the lyric is profound...as one, like many of us, who has entered into the 'golden' years' wondering what that's supposed to mean, your song resonates with a myriad of thoughts and feelings...it checks all the boxes for me...well written, well crafted, well produced, well sung...touching, tender and terrific!

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.

#740445 - 11/23/22 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent collaboration Greg and David. Perfect vocal and loved the lyric. Really neat instrumentation choices in the song. Such a cool unique overall sound to the song. Very original... Well done

#740514 - 11/24/22 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey thanks for posting this, Greg. Man do you ever sound great! Happy Thanksgiving--and to everyone else as well!!

For the record peeps, I LOVE Greg Johnson's sound and songs, and have always found him to be very Sting-like in many of his songs, to have a voice that is Sting-caliber, and a style that is truly Sting-worthy!

So when he told me he wanted to do a co-write, I plopped down on the bed with a pad and a pen and said to myself,"OK, dude, channel some Sting."

I had the first half of it about five minutes. (The second verse came a little later.)

Anyway, I sent the beginning of it to Greg, and said, "make it sound like Sting."

smile

This is essentially what he sent back, in just a few phases.

I went: "Wow! Dude you nailed it." !!!!

I want to do some more collabs with Greg. The man is epic!!

smile

#740534 - 11/24/22 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Greg and David !

what a superb tune and so
wonderfully presented !
I just love your voice Greg !
A masterpiece !:))

Cheers
Dani

#740596 - 11/25/22 02:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Greg and David,

What a fantastic song! Songwriting at its best, and man, that vocal! Track sounds great too.

Outstanding collaboration, the start of a new partnership perhaps? smile

#740605 - 11/25/22 04:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

This is a great collaboration! David’s introspective lyric and Greg’s soft vocal interpretation fit like a hand in a glove. It doesn’t get much better than this. Bravo, Tom

#740724 - 11/26/22 03:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
PROJECT M Offline
Expert

Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
Hi Greg and David
What a beautiful soulful song
So great played and sung
Background track is top class
One of the best songs I have heard in a long time here
Great collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

#740876 - 11/26/22 03:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Virginia USA
That was a treat!

Excellent lyrics, DS. Some of your finest.

Vocal is top quality.

Instrumentation is richly textured==-silky.

#740897 - 11/26/22 08:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Set the Prisoner Free (Collab with David Snyder) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Veteran

Loc: Maryland
Great collab, fantastic GJ singing. Didn't really get the Sting thing, sorry. Greg sounds like Greg, and that's a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Getting To Know Your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®

Have you received the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®, and you'd like to learn more about the newest features?

There are a few different resources available to you!

In the program there is a "2023 NEW Features" button that offers quick access to the newest features explanations and tutorials.

We offer video tutorials explaining the new version as well as breaking down specific features. You can access these on our YouTube Channel, or here on our Website on the Support | Videos pages.

There are detailed program manuals available on our Online Manuals page that explains just the New Features in the Upgrade Manual, or combines all the features of the program in our Full Manual. Prefer to access a PDF of the manuals instead? They're available on our Online Manuals page too!

Our Forums are also a great way to learn about the newest features! Not only will you see our videos shared there, you'll join an active community of friendly and knowledgeable program users happy to answer questions and help out!

Of course, you can always ask our team directly too!

It's the Last Weekend to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

Hurry - our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th at 11:59 pm PST!

Order before then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Last Chance to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th! Order by then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Special is Extended to January 15, 2023

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases has been extended to January 15, 2023!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs Special Extended to January 15, 2023!

We've extended the XPro and Xtra Styles PAKS special offers to January 15, 2023!

We're offering XPro Styles PAKs 1-4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 1-15 for just $29 each (reg $49)!

Treat yourself to 100 brand new RealStyles for country, bluegrass, jazz, funk, rock, and pop with the new XPro Styles PAK 4 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022, but why stop there? The new Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15 include 17 MultiStyle groups and 200 new styles for Rock, Pop, Jazz, and Country, as well as genres like '80s glam rock, rockabilly, big band, space rock, metal, funk, and more!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs and order now.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and order now.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3

Learn all about the 25 Songs with Vocals added to our Band-in-a-Box Add-ons with Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3! Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Songs with Vocals 3

This included in the Band-in-a-Box 2023 Free Bonus PAK!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows - 'Twas the Click Before Christmas!

Order any version of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows and receive your download key right away for use with our One-Click Installer, but don't wait too long... our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special ends December 31st!

Order now to add over 70 new features and amazing new content to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

It's a great time to order, with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Forum Stats
37094 Members
64 Forums
77124 Topics
683680 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
tomasdup, Ashana, Joe D, Paco Estelles, axe4sax

37094 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
musocity 163
MarioD 147