Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#754978 02/22/23 10:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Background:
We watch Finding Your Roots on PBS from time to time and this was inspired by that program. The instrumental uses a minimum of BiaB (drums only) and I’m not sure how many chords it has. I’m thinking two. There is no chorus or bridge and my goal was to invoke a sense of ants marching in a line.

Technicals:
90 BPM and mixed in Studio One

BiaB:
RealDrums in style:BluesRockFunky16ths^3-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Busy Snare, Ride

Me:
Electric Bass
Studio One Drum Sequencer (Hi Hat)
Korg Keyboard
1. Flute
2. Nylon Guitar
3. Grand Piano
4. Synth
5. Bells
6. Choir Voices

DNA

Poem:
Deoxyribonucleic acid, much better known as DNA
Affects you as a person, every year and every day

In 1869 a Swiss doctor first isolated it from surgical bandages
After deductive reasoning, much hard work and scientific practices

Then Watson, Crick, Gosling and Franklin came along in ‘51
Establishing microbiology with a Nobel Prize they had won

The double helix, so beautiful and unique
Fundamental to life, so intelligent, so sleek

Common in every cell you will ever grow
Hair and muscle and the blood that flows

Far more than just a polymer or chemistry on a shelf
It’s smart enough to replicate and even repair itself

Not entirely perfect and it can make mistakes
But it does its best on land in rivers, oceans and lakes

It wants to live and strives to survive
Yet I wonder if it knows it’s alive

Some from your parents and relatives you never knew
A family heritage and bio-chemical brew

Like a column of ants marching straight in a line
DNA moves backward and forward thru space and time

We can trace it back thousands of years from a very small sample
From people and reptiles and plants for example

Letters and words and finally your biography
Much more elegant than simple photography

Tweaking it could cure cancer or cause great harm
Let’s proceed carefully and not bet the farm

Is it thriving elsewhere in our galaxy we can’t yet say
But if it is, I’d bet it’s made of T’s, C’s, G’s and A’s

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DNA2.jpg (260.63 KB, 112 downloads)

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Bass Thumper #754983 02/22/23 10:59 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I like the simplicity of your song, it's kind of mesmerizing.

After the math song, you could offer online courses to get people interested in science who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

The obvious chords for your song would be C, G, A, and T, but that last one is really hard to play. Most musicians don't even know it!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Bass Thumper #755040 02/22/23 11:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bass Thumper,

I like the constant drone you have happening underneath with the changing elements on top to keep things interesting.

Bass sounds great, and I like the melody on the flute.

Your poem would work well as a spoken word thing happening on top of the music I think.

I enjoy listening to your work, keep them coming!

Bass Thumper #755046 02/23/23 12:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A terrific bed of bass drums and that blowing synth.
Everything on top belongs becasue the bed is well made.
COOL.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
B.D.Thomas #755061 02/23/23 03:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like the simplicity of your song, it's kind of mesmerizing.

After the math song, you could offer online courses to get people interested in science who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

The obvious chords for your song would be C, G, A, and T, but that last one is really hard to play. Most musicians don't even know it!

Hey BD, thanks for the listen and comment. I'm flattered by the online course idea but I'm having too much fun making music with BiaB. However, I do hope that somehow and by chance that somewhere young people will decide to pursue STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) as a career in large numbers. At least here in the States young folk (generally speaking) are not interested. The number of very large global problems continue to grow, including the potential for WWIII. We need a full pipeline of young, sharp minds to solve today's and tomorrow's problems.

And I like your sense of humor, that "T" chord might be a tad hard to play smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Bass Thumper #755063 02/23/23 03:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Marching Ants" is a term in Photoshop. hehe. Very cool, Steve. This tune develops much like I'd imagine a strand of DNA would, always building to that wonderful potential. Sounds like a factory of life, not the corporate kind; for them the music would be much faster. This tune very cool indeed!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
BlueAttitude #755064 02/23/23 03:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Bass Thumper,

I like the constant drone you have happening underneath with the changing elements on top to keep things interesting.

Bass sounds great, and I like the melody on the flute.

Your poem would work well as a spoken word thing happening on top of the music I think.

I enjoy listening to your work, keep them coming!

Hey Dave, I really appreciate your kind comments. It's funny how you and others describe my work in terms that make total sense but that I don't realize while producing it. "Constant drone" is a good example. I just try to communicate musically in ways that make sense to me and hope that something I do might make sense to others.

Maybe Vic will volunteer to speak some of the poem . . . he has a great voice.

BiaB 2024 Windows
rayc #755065 02/23/23 03:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
A terrific bed of bass drums and that blowing synth.
Everything on top belongs becasue the bed is well made.
COOL.

Hey Ray, thanks so much for the listen and analysis. "Blowing synth" is another great descriptor.
It's fun to think about all the struggles, triumpths, random happenings and ancestors that contributed to the DNA you now have.

BiaB 2024 Windows
BabuMusic #755067 02/23/23 03:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
"Marching Ants" is a term in Photoshop. hehe. Very cool, Steve. This tune develops much like I'd imagine a strand of DNA would, always building to that wonderful potential. Sounds like a factory of life, not the corporate kind; for them the music would be much faster. This tune very cool indeed!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hey Marty, I wasn't aware of the Photoshop connection, I'll have to look that up.

A developing strand of DNA is a wonderful thing indeed.

Thanks as always for your listen and articulate replies. You have a skill in descibing the works of others that I wish I had.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Bass Thumper #755128 02/23/23 09:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the idea to combine science, poetry and music. This instrumental has organized structure and sounds organic. Clever usage of instruments, hypnotic bass and nice mood created with synths, the flute fits well. You surely have captured the marching ants. I like your beautiful and thought-provoking poem. "It wants to live and strives to survive/Yet I wonder if it knows it’s alive", very profound, I once read about DNA being a conscious living entity, but I haven't thought about its implications yet, maybe I'll write my own DNA song when I have figured it out smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Bass Thumper #755134 02/23/23 10:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bass Thumper.
Tastefully, simplistic smile Cool idea and execution.
I double Dave on:
"Your poem would work well as a spoken word thing happening on top of the music"

Actually that what I was expecting to happen before I read Dave's comment. Good mix. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Bass Thumper #755187 02/23/23 07:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Neat bit of music!

I enjoyed the poem as well, although I'm sure you know that neither Gosling nor Franklin received a Nobel prize.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Bass Thumper #755190 02/23/23 07:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bass Thumper,

It's quite a courageous choice to stick through the whole with only two chords, D and Gm.
I listened to it until the end without getting tired of it.
There are clever tricks here and there to keep the audience from getting bored.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

jannesan #755267 02/24/23 10:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I like the idea to combine science, poetry and music. This instrumental has organized structure and sounds organic. Clever usage of instruments, hypnotic bass and nice mood created with synths, the flute fits well. You surely have captured the marching ants. I like your beautiful and thought-provoking poem. "It wants to live and strives to survive/Yet I wonder if it knows it’s alive", very profound, I once read about DNA being a conscious living entity, but I haven't thought about its implications yet, maybe I'll write my own DNA song when I have figured it out smile

Janne

Hey Jannne, many thanks for the listen and kind words.

I haven't heard about any theory that says DNA is conscious, I thought I conceived that idea (from an artistic/poetic perspective). Oh well, such is life smile

Hmmmm, here is an equation that you prompted: science + poetry + music = ? . . . . hopefuly not noise!

BiaB 2024 Windows
Rustyspoon# #755272 02/24/23 10:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Bass Thumper.
Tastefully, simplistic smile Cool idea and execution.
I double Dave on:
"Your poem would work well as a spoken word thing happening on top of the music"

Actually that what I was expecting to happen before I read Dave's comment. Good mix. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Rusty. I wish my DNA allowed me to have a pleasing voice wink
--Thump

BiaB 2024 Windows
Bass Thumper #755276 02/24/23 10:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, IMHO this is your best to date.
Your ability to compose has risen extremely fast as you are composing some fantastic music lately which each song better than the previous song.

I love the groove and feel of this one..brilliant work!
Super dynamics also.

You wrote "However, I do hope that somehow and by chance that somewhere young people will decide to pursue STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) as a career in large numbers. At least here in the States young folk (generally speaking) are not interested. The number of very large global problems continue to grow, including the potential for WWIII. We need a full pipeline of young, sharp minds to solve today's and tomorrow's problems.

And I like your sense of humor, that "T" chord might be a tad hard to play
"

They are not required to take science or engineering and do not have to pass math. When I went to school many many years ago we had to take and pass some math and some science classes. If you failed you had to take it over again and pass in order to graduate. THAT is what is missing in our schools today.

Also a lot and thankfully not all of young people are not self starters and are lazy. They are used to getting trophies for just participating.

BTW, the T chord isn't that hard. All it takes is three bagpipe players all playing in different keys! Of course you never know what key a bagpipe is playing in in the first place - ducking and running for cover grin grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
dcuny #755279 02/24/23 10:50 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Neat bit of music!

I enjoyed the poem as well, although I'm sure you know that neither Gosling nor Franklin received a Nobel prize.

Thanks David, I sort of knew Gosling and Franklin didn't win the Nobel. Don't know the details but I understand it is/was a controversy.

I guess I took some artistic liberty in including them in the same phrase as Watson and Crick to at least show they participated. You are right.

BiaB 2024 Windows
animarorecords #755283 02/24/23 11:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Bass Thumper,

It's quite a courageous choice to stick through the whole with only two chords, D and Gm.
I listened to it until the end without getting tired of it.
There are clever tricks here and there to keep the audience from getting bored.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hey Shigeki, many thanks for the listen and comments.

I'm relatively new to music and until 10 minutes ago I didn't know the chords I played on the keyboard (Nylon Guitar). I just hunted and pecked until something sounded good to me. You can hear this most clearly in the intro after the flute.

Here is what I played. I looked up the chords from here

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord-namer/?notes=D;A;A%23&key=&bass=

D F# A - Dmaj
D G A - Dsus4
D A A# - A#maj7

Thanks for triggering me to look these up.

BiaB 2024 Windows
MarioD #755287 02/24/23 11:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve, IMHO this is your best to date.
Your ability to compose has risen extremely fast as you are composing some fantastic music lately which each song better than the previous song.

I love the groove and feel of this one..brilliant work!
Super dynamics also.

You wrote "However, I do hope that somehow and by chance that somewhere young people will decide to pursue STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) as a career in large numbers. At least here in the States young folk (generally speaking) are not interested. The number of very large global problems continue to grow, including the potential for WWIII. We need a full pipeline of young, sharp minds to solve today's and tomorrow's problems.

And I like your sense of humor, that "T" chord might be a tad hard to play
"

They are not required to take science or engineering and do not have to pass math. When I went to school many many years ago we had to take and pass some math and some science classes. If you failed you had to take it over again and pass in order to graduate. THAT is what is missing in our schools today.

Also a lot and thankfully not all of young people are not self starters and are lazy. They are used to getting trophies for just participating.

BTW, the T chord isn't that hard. All it takes is three bagpipe players all playing in different keys! Of course you never know what key a bagpipe is playing in in the first place - ducking and running for cover grin grin

Hey Mario, as usual you've given me much to respond to.

First, thanks so much for the listen and kind words. You may not know this but I have learned SO much just from listening to your compositions; not to mention your insights.

Second, You are spot on regarding US education. I too had to take and PASS mandatory courses in high school and college. If you flunked, you repeated, and if you don't repeat you didn't graduate. Pretty simple and appropriate but not so today.

The good news for us is that we have and can rely on technically educated and highly motivated young folk from other countries to design our next generation medical devices, transportation systems, weapons, etc. For example, with world events as they are we need smart "youngsters" to develop high-engery particle weapons capable of destroying ICBMs in their boost phase. This way Putin has got very little to threaten the world with. That said, we need hundreds and hundreds more engineers and scientists to enter the workforce every year than we currently have. Babyboomers are retiring left and right.

I happen to be born here but have worked with brilliant engineers and scientists from Israel, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Austraila, Germany, Bangledesh, India and elsewhere. And often their English is better that the "home-growns". Our K-12 system is amoung the worst worldwide but thankfully our College and University system is amoung the best. Go figure. 40 or so years ago, the crem de la crem would come here, get their college degrees and then go back home. Iran is a good example. I had many Iranian classmates in college, many if not all have gone back home with their degrees to support Iranian technology. The Iranian drones that are now killing Ukranians is only one result. Another is their nuclear program. But now, for a variety of reasons, more and more are choosing to stay here, plant roots and contribute to our tech economy. I just hope we can remain an attractive place for such people going forward. My primary doctor was not born here and he is top shelf and a hell of a nice guy.

Third, you gave me a good laugh about the 3 "deaf and blind" bagpipe players playing a T chord . . . smile Just a joke. For you bag players we love ya !

BiaB 2024 Windows
Bass Thumper #755402 02/25/23 08:54 AM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
BassThumper:

Really interesting listen . . . I wasn’t sure what to make of it as I began listening . . . and to be honest, three minutes in, I’m still not. But it is, as BD said above, mesmerizing . . . you just kind of keep listening to it. And the subtle changes in new introduced sounds keeps the listener intrigued to hear what comes next . . . or me at least. Not sure if it’s quite my thing ultimately, but I’m glad I listened to it. Very creative work!

All my best to you,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199