User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Spent a fair time this morning and afternoon listening to some great tunes. You are all killing it!

Here’s something new . . . sort of. It’s a song I wrote years and years ago (I don’t quite remember how long ago). I’ve never tried recording it for two reasons: First, musically it had a descending riff that I knew I couldn’t replicate in BIAB—which meant laying down an acoustic track myself, but also reconciling that with the needed key changes (so that I could actually sing it as well as play it). So I made some compromises and got rid of the riff . . . and happily I’m not sure it’s missed.

Second, I needed to find a key I could sing this thing in. But more so, I always thought it needed a smoother, more soulful vocal than I could muster. In fact, I always wondered if a female lead would work better (though “He Rules Me” might not fly in today’s woke world!). Anyway, I’ve hopefully done enough to give a feel for what the song could be . . . which is always my end goal.

One last production note: The original song had an additional line of lyric after the second chorus and before the solo. The solo required a fair bit of comping (more than usual), and I unknowingly started it a few bars early . . . where that additional line was to be sung. I think it was a happy accident, as in retrospect the line didn’t add much, and the longer solo, at least for me, works well. But see what you think!

All comments and feedback welcome. I’m sure there are nits in the production notwithstanding having listened to and tweaked this a gazillion times (still not sure the vocal is where it needs to be)!

Best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

SHE RULES ME

Here are the lyrics:

When all sides of love turn gray
You say it’s better left behind
Go find a better place to be in
But your outside looking in
I can’t win, there’s no turning away
And you say that’s cause enough for leaving

But she rules me
And I don’t know what I’ll do now
I guess I’m bound by love somehow

When all sides of nothing’s changed
Estranged, but not so far away
And I’m swayed by all this talk of treason

The night falls like freezing rain
And comes to chill my heart again
All sides are all the same
And all the talk and all the passion seem
Like just a dream while unseen
Lie the reach of all these chains
I remain tempted by your freedom

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 518: Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes
RealTracks 368: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming
RealTracks 1599: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16ths A-B
RealTracks 1542: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBelieve
RealTracks 3438: Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritPsycPopBallad
RealTracks 1543: Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums: PopRock8ths^04

Last edited by Deej56; 02/25/23 03:21 PM.
Deej56 #755472 02/25/23 03:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Personal relationships are what they are. The power play between participants is a dynamic & politics that can't be readily understood by those outside it.
PLUS hyperbole and extremity are part of the art of expressing all relationships.
I co-wrote a non gender specific love song back in 85 or so for a musical. it worked well and, in fact, I don't think many who saw the show actually noticed.
That song was about the powerplay as much as the love play.
Your song essay the imbalance and resignation to it - I think that's fine - good even.
As a song...mate, your voice, that melody and arrangement... you could easily be singing the alphabet & it'd work. As it stands the narrative is cool & everything gels for a fab track.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #755475 02/25/23 03:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love it man. Your vocals sing with emotion such that the listener feels how you are torn in half.

Just 1 personal preference nit, a longer fade on the outro would really sadden the story.

Great job all around.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Deej56 #755495 02/25/23 10:35 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
An anthem. Where do I start?

In the last verse, that change of orchestration there, to make it much more "acoustic" ... so inspired. Your inflection on the word "dream" ... so moving.

Second listen:

The LYRICS. The very first few (four, or so) lines. HOW do you ARTICULATE this kinda stuff?

"And I'm swayed by all this talk of treason". Superb.

The BIAB guitar solo fits the song like a glove.

"The night falls like freezing rain
And comes to chill my heart again"

WOW.

"All sides are all the same
And all the talk and all the passion seem
Like just a dream, while unseen
Lie the reach of all these chains"

My word.

You sing it out of the park, too.

Third listen:

An epic anthem with a truly sensitive "center". "Smoother, more sensitive vocal needed?" No. You nail the sensitive part, with the inflections, dynamics/nuances and sincerity in your voice - I don't think you have anything to worry about, there.

Lyrics: check. Music writing: check. Performance: check. Arrangement: check.

Brilliant. One of your best, for me.

P.S. did I mention the LYRICS? :-) Everything is great, here, but the lyrics just stand out for me, in this particular song. Hats off.

Last edited by musician17; 02/25/23 10:39 PM.
Deej56 #755518 02/26/23 03:50 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, when you sing and play guitar on a song that you wrote, there is nothing missing. Love the feel of this, and you nailed it into perfection. Dang, what a strong vocal, and such a good song. String emotion.

Last edited by BabuMusic; 02/26/23 06:29 AM.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Deej56 #755535 02/26/23 05:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
Whatever challenges you encountered, end result is awesome. Happy accident smile
Neat rock ballad, your vocals shine! Very strong composition and good mix. Enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I am not sure if anybody told you this before, it seems that overall track is somewhat compressed. Are you uploading lesser quality audio to soundcloud?

Deej56 #755539 02/26/23 07:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey DJ,

Magnificent song and production.

You are killing it man!!!

smile

Deej56 #755551 02/26/23 08:39 AM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
rayc, Bass Thumper, James, Marty, Misha and David:

Thanks all for the listens and great feedback--as always it's much appreciated. A few responses on the specific comments:

Bass Thumper: I hear you on the longer fade out. Actually, originally I wasn't going to fade out and programmed it otherwise . . . but it didn't work well and I thought the fade worked better for this song . . . and so I did so in my DAW. I could have made it longer . . . but of course I would have had to go back into BIAB and add a few bars . . . which I could have done easy enough, but I was a bit worried with the song already pushing 5 minutes of making it longer. So, here's where I ended up.

Misha: Good call on the compression. I always upload an MP3 rather than a WAV on Soundcloud given the limited data storage constraints . . . I'm already starting to run up against them. That accounts for some of it. But I went back in and I noticed I had the compression settings a bit high on the vocal and a few of the instruments. I've made some quick adjustments . . . and hopefully not to quick or too far an adjustment the other way. Thanks for calling that out.

Oh, and Marty, I may not have been clear above . . . I deleted the riff so I wouldn't have to play guitar on this track (which is better for all!). So, that's neither I nor Vic playing on this tune!

My best to you all--

Deej

Last edited by Deej56; 02/26/23 10:54 AM.
Deej56 #755559 02/26/23 10:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

A truly interesting write. Very well done.
Strong emotional vocal.
A nice track. Shows off the lyric.
Killer choice of solo!

Excellent in all ways.

fj

Originally Posted By: Deej56
I always upload an MP3 rather than a WAV on Soundcloud given the limited data storage constraints . . . I'm already starting to run up against them. That accounts for some of it.

Deej - If you upload a WAV file to SC, they will process it to a smaller format. They will process an mp3 the same way. The amount of "space" you get is based on TIME (length of song) not size - so they count the same... Always best to upload a WAV if you've got one...

floyd jane #755563 02/26/23 10:52 AM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Floyd:

Thanks for the listen and comments. I did not know that about SoundCloud. For a while I was uploading WAV's but thought (or just assumed) because it was a much larger file that it was using up my allotted storage space faster. Easy enough to generate the WAV's and obviously prefer it . . . I'll look to change out the current file of the song.

Thanks again!

Deej

Deej56 #755575 02/26/23 12:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the arrangement and the vocal.

As rayc says, you could sing the alphabet and it would sound great. In this case, you've got a great write as well.

The song all comes together - if there were any nits to find, I didn't hear them.

Excellent! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Deej56 #755591 02/26/23 01:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej

Beautiful vocal, very emotive. Great arrangement.

One of the better guitar solos I've heard from a RT.

Excellent.

Peter

Deej56 #755647 02/27/23 12:28 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej.
Your emotional vocal makes this.
Good one again.

Vic

Deej56 #755649 02/27/23 01:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I just love your voice! So distinctive. Pure perfection!

Possibly the best BIAB guitar solo I've ever heard too.

Great song, Deej, very much enjoyed.

Deej56 #755659 02/27/23 02:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

You are such an exceptional singer...

The song and production is excellent, but your performance is absolutely KILLER!

This was an awesome listen.

Bob

Deej56 #755667 02/27/23 03:53 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
No idea what kind of vocals you had in mind for this song, because this one just fits PERFECT.
I wouldn't change anything.
Maybe the fade out at the end a little slower, but that's just a minor nit.

Best song I've heard from you so far smile

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Deej56 #755824 02/28/23 08:32 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej...love this...ballads are the best and I like everything about this...the exceptional parts are your emotional and expressive vocals (as usual) and that killer solo and the use of the piano...what it was before and whatever you added or subtracted from the arrangement is irrelevant because of what you produced...just consider them part of the creative process for this great tune...kudos man!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
Deej56 #755842 02/28/23 12:52 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Deej, I love hearing your stuff man, but this one is especially special. I'm sure glad you stuck with it and pushed through. I think you've got a terrific track here. I echo all the comments above. I really liked the lead guitar you picked out here. It almost gives it a "live vibe". Did you add effects like the echo, or did it come that way out of the box? All the decisions you made on this one were the right ones. Terrific song.

Brad

Deej56 #755845 02/28/23 01:05 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Really emotional delivery and great story telling.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 11, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8
Frankp #755868 02/28/23 04:14 PM
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
a very emotive song.

nice character vocs.

great gtr solos...just an idea i heard the gtr solos doubled.

i really really like the choruses 'she rules me'.

superb song.

best

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,742
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191