Print Thread
Go To
#761478 04/13/23 03:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Folks. 
Growing through teens is a challenge. Growing up in NYC adds another layer. I had a school friend who always found himself in bad situations.  A good, talented kid, from a good family. But likely we all knew somebody like that at one point. There was a time when I and a few other friends just felt hopeless trying to help him break the circle.... About 20 years ago I bumped into him while he was walking with beautiful wife and child.  I felt very relieved knowing things worked out for him for the better. This tune is in a way a reflection of the time we were close.  All critical comments are encouraged and welcomed. Thank you for giving this time!

Last Train

Lyrics:
Last train left, twilight falling
batteries dead in audio player
Where are you spending this night?
Windows are dark, closed down park - ghost town
Lonely neon sign flickering light

Sirens breaking fragile silence.
Streets with one way signs,
I just want to be left alone
Hey you, talking to you now.. Is that a beer?
Where do you live boy? What are you doing here?

Lighter in a pocket - sandwich in a backpack
Change left for a one way fare
Heavy clouds on horizon moving soo slow
Carcasses of boats are beached on a shore
with raised in question to sky - weathered bows.

Something got lost and you're crying,
Wishing for another life 
Something got found and you're smiling
happy that you are alive. 

Tech stuff:
Me: Arrangement, lyrics, vocals.
BIAB:
683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
4006:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModPopSoulRiffs Ev16 130
4004:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModPopFunkySingle Ev16 130
4315:Piano, Electric, Rhythm LAJazzyPopLite Ev 118
4006:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModPopSoulRiffs Ev16 130
3363:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritClassicRockGrittyWah Ev 110
Loop: Pop-Soul-RnB\Pop - pop_ballad_Drums_108_b ev16.wav
2293:Horn Section, Rhythm PopPads Ev 130
3614:Marimba, Rhythm Soca Ev16 120
RealDrums in style:PopPepSquad^01-a:Clap, Quiet Hihat Snare , b:Cheers, Ride, Loud Hihat

Synths of Halion and Korg. Mixed in Cakewalk

Rustyspoon# #761479 04/13/23 03:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You've always got interesting songs with cool arrangements.

I love your mysterious vocal style..

Good song

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Rustyspoon# #761501 04/13/23 11:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,
Interesting story wonderfully told.
The not quite linear telling works really well too.
leaves paces for imagination &rumination.
Musically this is REALLY tight and swings with the groove.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Rustyspoon# #761502 04/14/23 12:03 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

Man! You have outdone yourself with this one. I must have listened five times already I think.

The arrangement starting around 2:15 or so, and in other spots, is that the micro chords feature? Last time I tried it, when it was first released, it was not ready for prime time. Might need to revisit that wink

Love the groove, and mix sounds fabulous through the phones. Also really like your vocal treatment.

Brilliant!

Rustyspoon# #761519 04/14/23 03:34 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Howdy Misha....

Another fine write with your haunting, mysterious vox style.
I enjoyed the listen and echo all other comments.

Very well done!

Hope all is well.

Rustyspoon# #761575 04/14/23 07:43 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Misha
Impressive song
Really great job
You show what excellent songs are possible with BiaB
Well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Rustyspoon# #761583 04/14/23 08:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,
Thank you for listening and your positive feedback!
---
Ray,
Thank you for giving this time and your support. Timing was a challenge. I did mess it up with vocals a bit, but didn't want to redo
---
Dave,
Thank you for listening and kind words here and on SC. Yes, you guessed it right Micro chords smile It is tricky. Here is my take on them. They are ready, but you have to get used to idea that for the most time it's not how you "write" them out, but how program interprets them. So the game is, you have to sit and try out different combinations, with motifs, rests etc., to get a feel that you want. I am still just scratching the surface with them, but potential is huge.
---
Wayne,
Thank you for listening and your support!
---
Andi,
Thank you for your kind words!

Rustyspoon# #761645 04/14/23 01:45 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Misha,

Another really interesting and enjoyable song from you.

I particularly liked the arrangement with the light and shade and the terrific instrumental section in the later half of the song.

My personal preference is for slightly less proximity effect on the vocals.

Excellent.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Rustyspoon# #761650 04/14/23 01:59 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Gosh Misha, you're really taking this stuff to another level. I know our music is quite a bit different, but man I love your writing and ideas, and you're productions (this included) are always top notch, with so much going on and great surprises. I like seeing another one of your tunes pop up, because I know I'm in for more "How did he think of that?!" moments. Way to go!

Brad

Rustyspoon# #761736 04/15/23 03:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I like when a post starts out with a happy ending. Now on to the music. Wow. Strong opening. I really like your style, Misha. You always write with such authority and your vocal demands attention. I'm sure your kids might argue with that at times. hehe I always enjoy your poetic approach to lyrics. You draw such vivid pictures. That's quite an impressive mix, too. So many players and yet they are all important pieces.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Rustyspoon# #761752 04/15/23 06:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,
The last chorus bringing signs of change to the alienation ( expressed with interesting details) works well, especially taken with your backstory.
I love the way your songs work with rhythm-always inventive.
The close vocal suits your style for me.
Very good!

Robert

Rustyspoon# #761872 04/15/23 08:39 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

The use of marimba gives the unique flavor to this song.
The interlude is very epoch-making.
I am very impressed with that you are always trying something new.
Your vocal fits this song very well.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Rustyspoon# #762346 04/18/23 08:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You create such vivid imagery and with an economy of words, Misha.
With the addition of the backstory we could really see the scenes.

Your vocals sound great (love your outro scat) and the band is outstanding.
The marimba is extra cool.

The excellent mix is packed with great dynamics that add so much without ever being distracting.
The perfect balance.

These last lines are so good:

“Something got lost and you're crying,
Wishing for another life 
Something got found and you're smiling
happy that you are alive. “

Kudos!

J&B

Rustyspoon# #762353 04/18/23 09:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, this fantastic.

Great vocal, lyrics, and mix.

Two thumbs up.

PS - I am just finishing a song that also has marimbas. I just wanted to let you know.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Rustyspoon# #762356 04/18/23 09:26 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'm a little late to the party, so there's really nothing to say that hasn't already been said:
Great song, great lyrics, great arrangement and mix, and best of all, your vocals.
Very, very good!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Rustyspoon# #762378 04/18/23 11:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Misha !

Absolutely superb music !
I liked everything about it
tune, mix, vocals, arrangement
and all ! Your best without doubt !

Cheers
Dani

Rustyspoon# #762478 04/19/23 03:24 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Rustyspoon#

Very nice composition. Very pleasant lyrics and perfect orchestration. I appreciated.

Ps : Your mix is ​​impeccable A small question. How many -db do you mix when recording for streaming?

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Rustyspoon# #762732 04/20/23 01:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brilliant production. An orgasm of sound. I don't how you put together so many complex pieces together flawlessly.

You are in top form vocally on this song.

Your lyrical prowess is now legendary on the Forum.

Rustyspoon# #762856 04/21/23 03:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the funky texture - you always seem to come up with the most interesting arrangements.

Listening makes my ears happy.

Interesting back story, too! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Rustyspoon# #762911 04/22/23 08:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Somehow lyrically lighter than your more apocalyptic ones, there is at least a smile, but still very interesting threads of a poetic web. Great intro, enjoyable chords and I always like your unique interpretation.
Very creative sounding arrangement, excellent use of marimba and horns. And fitting that gritty rock guitarist with those instruments sounds perfectly natural.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173