Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Check in two places, Recording AND Playback.

OK Dan, here is the recording settings. These were default as I never changed them.
But keep in mind, the problem I'm having is with playback, not recording.
Nonetheless, it was good to verify everything is at 44.1 kHz as you said.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 85.jpg (64.4 KB, 199 downloads)

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
My advice, if it holds steady, ignore everything else until IF it starts acting up again.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
My advice, if it holds steady, ignore everything else until IF it starts acting up again.

Agreed.
I wonder if there is an easy to read reference manual for those of us new to the technical aspects of playback and recording of music on Windows PCs.

My approach to date is keep the default settings until they prove troublesome. Then make the minimum changes necessary to keep your system going. And if it ain't broke . . . don't fix it unless you really know what you're doing.

The funny thing here is that in my old i5 machine, I just plugged and played and for the most part it all worked.

If the "USB swapping" idea works longterm there must be a slight difference between the 2 ports despite the fact that Dell says they are identical. They're both USB 3.2 Gen 1

PS> Just heard a tiny glitch. If it doesn't get worse I can live with it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
You got to get used to your machine.

"there must be a slight difference between the 2 ports"
There might be HUGE difference in how they are routed, different chips, etc.

"I wonder if there is an easy to read reference manual for those of us new to the technical aspects of playback and recording of music on Windows PCs."

There was a guide, if I remember correctly from Sweetwater, that had all kinds of tweaks for audio computers.
But I would not touch anything if it is working right smile Your computer seems to be a power horse, I don't think it needs any deep tweaking besides "High Performance" that you already have set.

About your audio "glitches", try to narrow it down to physical things. Original cable? Properly grounded AC outlet? Believe it or not, in college we lived in old house with crappy outlets, I would get all kind of noises in my recordings. Then I would move to USB settings that I mentioned in advanced power settings. Try maybe yet another port.

--------
Truth be told. I was a big fan of Tascam... with their US-122 about 20 years back. But when time came to upgrade, nothing was right. Crackle pop thing. So I gave up and switched to more reliable interface.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Then I would move to USB settings that I mentioned in advanced power settings. Try maybe yet another port.

--------
Truth be told. I was a big fan of Tascam... with their US-122 about 20 years back. But when time came to upgrade, nothing was right. Crackle pop thing. So I gave up and switched to more reliable interface.

OK, I finally found that setting. Wow, it's buried down pretty deep.

It was set to Enabled so I changed it to Disabled.

My audio is playing fine with this change but it will take some time to tell if it is a permenant fix.

Thanks, man, you are knowledgable in this area.

I wonder if Dell can remotely run a test on my USB ports. Not ever thinking about this before it seems to me that there are several attributes associated with every USB circuit.
What is the power level?
How clean is that power?
What is the data transfer rate?
How much jitter is on the data stream?
etc.

EDIT: There is crackle and stuttering. No worse than yesterday but it's still bad. frown
Of course we haven't ruled out the JBLs . . . but they are less than 2 years old.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 87.jpg (41.8 KB, 178 downloads)
Last edited by Bass Thumper; 04/15/23 04:57 PM.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
#1 restart your machine, see if if issues go away.

stuttering is unlikely to do with speakers. You can try headphones to rule it out.

One simple thing to try is put your computer is "Airplane mode" (disable network adapter) and see if you get issues. WiFi and Bluetooth sometimes do not play well with audio recording / gear.

Also... There is a popular (and free) piece of software called latencymon (Latency monitor). While it has all kinds of parameters, it will give you a general idea of the most intruding processes. Two of the most common ones are Nvidea drivers and WIFI adapter (cant do much about these), but there might be some software crapware that came with your computer that is persistent enough to cause audio issues.

"I wonder if Dell can remotely run a test on my USB ports." - Don't waste your time. It's a very narrow issue. I doubt Dell people will be able to help with 3rd party hardware.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
#1 restart your machine, see if if issues go away.

stuttering is unlikely to do with speakers. You can try headphones to rule it out.

One simple thing to try is put your computer is "Airplane mode" (disable network adapter) and see if you get issues. WiFi and Bluetooth sometimes do not play well with audio recording / gear.

Also... There is a popular (and free) piece of software called latencymon (Latency monitor). While it has all kinds of parameters, it will give you a general idea of the most intruding processes. Two of the most common ones are Nvidea drivers and WIFI adapter (cant do much about these), but there might be some software crapware that came with your computer that is persistent enough to cause audio issues.

"I wonder if Dell can remotely run a test on my USB ports." - Don't waste your time. It's a very narrow issue. I doubt Dell people will be able to help with 3rd party hardware.

Rusty, you are a literal fountain of ideas.
Regarding machine restarts, I have been doing them on a semi-regular basis during this troubleshooting effort.

Yeah, my "JBL" thought was not my best. I agree it's a long shot.

I put my machine in Airplane Mode and switched the Tascam from a USB 3.2 Gen 1 port to a USB 2.0 with Smart Power port, returned my buffer size back to the default 256 samples, did a re-start, played a song in Studio One and with fingers crossed after one play thru the glitch happened.

My thinking on the USB port is that the 3.2 standard is newer than the Tascam and hence may not be fully compatible. But, no dice. But I wonder if the USB 2.0 with Smart Power is still too advanced for my "ancient" interface. This will be a question for Tascam if I can reach someone on Monday. Maybe it needs dumb power. And I understand that USB 4.0 is coming.

https://www.kingston.com/en/usb-flash-drives/usb-30

I'm going to hold off installing any more 3rd party software. Dell contacted me and wants to talk again. They are willing to supply me with a new machine but I think that is premature. I think there is still more troubleshooting for them, Tascam and me to do. I don't want to recieve another machine and still have this problem.

I'm beginning to think about the Realtek sound card.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
It's a long thread, but have you eliminated a bad USB cable?
Intermittent USB issues can cause all of the symptoms mentioned.
I had this issue when I first got my 18i20, and it was because I used an inferior cable.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
'USB port is that the 3.2 standard is newer than the Tascam and hence may not be fully compatible."
Highly unlikely.

You can press Alt+Ctl+Del, open task manager> Performance and just see if graph "spikes" when glitch happens.

I have seen strange behavior when interface older driver is being updated by a newer driver. The solution I found was to remove the driver all together and install fresh, going with the newest. Sometimes a "factory reset" of the interface (if there is one) solves issues.

If Marty is close by, you can try bribing him with a beer or a cake and ask him to bring his interface, that way you will have a better idea if it's the computer or interface issue.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
It's a long thread, but have you eliminated a bad USB cable?
Intermittent USB issues can cause all of the symptoms mentioned.
I had this issue when I first got my 18i20, and it was because I used an inferior cable.

Yes, this is a long thread. Intermittent problems are often complex.
Good idea, I have not elimitated a bad USB cable, although the cable worked fine in my older machine.

It's a USB Type B and I can cannabilize one from my printer to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the idea.

Screenshot 88.jpg (216.11 KB, 151 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
FWIW - I had a similar Intermittent Crackle and Noise problem with my music computer a year ago. I did a ton of investigations, gave up and took it to a computer store. They had it for three weeks looking for the problem. Finally they happened to stumble on it. While they were testing it the problem happened. It turned out to be an intermittent problem with the power supply. They said that just happened to me at the right place at the right time.

Just thought that I would pass this on.

Intermittent problems, especially those that happen far apart from each other, at very hard to pin point.

PS - they said that every time they tested the power supply all was well.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
'USB port is that the 3.2 standard is newer than the Tascam and hence may not be fully compatible."
Highly unlikely.

You can press Alt+Ctl+Del, open task manager> Performance and just see if graph "spikes" when glitch happens.

I have seen strange behavior when interface older driver is being updated by a newer driver. The solution I found was to remove the driver all together and install fresh, going with the newest. Sometimes a "factory reset" of the interface (if there is one) solves issues.

If Marty is close by, you can try bribing him with a beer or a cake and ask him to bring his interface, that way you will have a better idea if it's the computer or interface issue.

More good ideas. I don't see a factory reset on the interface but I can do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look for spikes with my printer USB cable.

I had an idea on my treadmill this morning. Bypass USB, JBL, XLR and Tascam altogether and use headphones directly. So for the last hour or so that's what I've done. And so far no glitch. With each glitch-free song I'm slowly exonerating the sound card.

One thing is sure . . . there is a root cause(s) at play.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
FWIW - I had a similar Intermittent Crackle and Noise problem with my music computer a year ago. I did a ton of investigations, gave up and took it to a computer store. They had it for three weeks looking for the problem. Finally they happened to stumble on it. While they were testing it the problem happened. It turned out to be an intermittent problem with the power supply. They said that just happened to me at the right place at the right time.

Just thought that I would pass this on.

Intermittent problems, especially those that happen far apart from each other, at very hard to pin point.

PS - they said that every time they tested the power supply all was well.

Thanks for joining "the party" Mario smile

It very well could be the power supply but so far my "headphone test" is showing no glitches which is exonerating the PS. If this good behaivor continues I think the problem is with either the USB cable, the USB ports, the Tascam or possibly the XLR cables or the JBLs or incompatibility somewhere. I know, the list is long.

Of course as a semi-last resort, I could re-connect my i5 computer and verify that that configuration still works fine. My i5 setup worked perfect last month.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Once everything is working right, PLEASE mark this thread as "Resolved" using the button in the first post.

This thread is a gold mine of ideas for people experiencing similar issues.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I just read this thread and made notes as I was reading. Almost everything in my notes has already been suggested, but here's my list:

Run Latency Monitor or DPC Latency Checker
Switch left and right monitors
Lubricate cable ends with DeOxit
Switch out cables one by one to rule out bad cables (since you just moved and reconnected them all)
USB cable not longer than 15'
Sound settings in Windows: make sure it is 44.1 and 16 bit
Check power supply
Sample rates must match in the Windows Audio settings
New computer = new OS, new crapware?
Run Tascam in USB 2 port, not 3

Preliminary Conclusions based on progress so far:
Do the simple checks for bad connections, above, and lubricate all cable ends.
Tell us what happens in the latency checking software
128 is too low a buffer for PLAYBACK on most machines! You can use it for recording, but bump it up to 256 or 512 for playback.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
are any of your cables crossing or too close? i get an intermittent buzz when my speaker cables get close to the router ppower cables

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I just read this thread and made notes as I was reading. Almost everything in my notes has already been suggested, but here's my list:

Run Latency Monitor or DPC Latency Checker
Switch left and right monitors
Lubricate cable ends with DeOxit
Switch out cables one by one to rule out bad cables (since you just moved and reconnected them all)
USB cable not longer than 15'
Sound settings in Windows: make sure it is 44.1 and 16 bit
Check power supply
Sample rates must match in the Windows Audio settings
New computer = new OS, new crapware?
Run Tascam in USB 2 port, not 3

Preliminary Conclusions based on progress so far:
Do the simple checks for bad connections, above, and lubricate all cable ends.
Tell us what happens in the latency checking software
128 is too low a buffer for PLAYBACK on most machines! You can use it for recording, but bump it up to 256 or 512 for playback.

Thanks Matt,
I haven't had a chance to address or even capture in the Exoneration Table all of yours and others suggestions.
With all the input it's been like drinking from a fire hose (which is a good thing).
But the table below tries to capture the progress made over the past few days.
If nothing else, this thread (and the embedded thinking in it) may be of use to others in the future.

As always, comments about this table are always welcome.

Exoneration Table.jpg (191.41 KB, 113 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
are any of your cables crossing or too close? i get an intermittent buzz when my speaker cables get close to the router ppower cables

Good suggestion Bob.
The short answer is yes. My "studio" is small and I've got cables wire-tied in neat bundles. I'm relying on the insulation that is designed into the cables for shielding. Absent a special shielding of some kind I see no remedy to this.

Plus, I had no audio glitches with my "old" i5 setup and the cable layout hasn't changed.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
It's a USB Type B and I can cannabilize one from my printer to see if that makes a difference.

FWIW, that's how I got into trouble in the first place; trying to use an old cable I had laying around .. a new (quality) 15' USB cable solved all my issues.
I told my best friend to do the same when he upgraded his interface .. get a new quality USB cable at the same time.

Focusrite (for all their good points) only includes a 3' USB cable .. that worked great, but I needed the interface further away and other old cables I had handy introduced the dreaded pops and distortion.
A new cable made my nightmare go away.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
BT.
"my "headphone test" is showing no glitches"

That is very odd. So no funny stuff in headphones connected to Tascam?
Sure, sure?

Best move now would be to test it with i5 machine. If there are no issues, you will eliminate Tascam unit (cable and power supply) out of equation in finding the boogie man.
---------------------------

Something that might relate to you (or might not) . Last time I fought similar issues was because of Nvidea chipset. I have Thinkpad (Lenovo) and they, as Dell are pretty good in maintaining drivers, BUT that specific driver was not up to date on their site. Once I updated that specific driver, things became much more stable. So check if you have Nvidea or other graphics card.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,517
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173