Page 1 of 2 1 2
#763066 04/23/23 02:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The River's Gonna Rise on Soundcloud
The River's Gonna Rise on YouTube

This is a song about being (maybe) overly optimistic, and offering an alternative to watching the sky fall. The last chord, however, may remind us of Nero paying the fiddle. The BiaB organ played an odd phrasing of the sustain chord, and the wah-wah guitar kinda added to the ominousness. I added 3 bass tracks just for the siren sustain. One an octave higher, and another slightly detuned from the original, all using flat 5s and sharp 9s.

All comments are much appreciated. The positive ones are good because they encourage me to go on, the critical ones are good because they help me go on better. Even comments that are matters of opinion help in many ways.

File:The River's Gonna Rise.SGU
Key=E , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=4:31
4 bar intro, 90 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 94. Repeat x1 chorus

Style is _CLAVICL.STY (Clavicle Funky Clav and Organ)
RealTracks in style: 2622:Organ, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
RealTracks in style: 2621:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Swing16WahWah Sw16 085
RealTracks in style: 4320:Piano, ElectricClav, Rhythm FunkySw16Kevin Sw16 085
RealDrums in style:FunkSwing16: a: Snare, Hihat b: Snare, Open Hat

PGMusic gives us incredible musicians to help with our songs, and they can take credit for giving us all you folks on this forum who also help with our creative growth. My favorite is Dave Bell (Blue Attitude) and he is on this song playing the perfect track to fill the song with fun. I played bass and sang.

The River's Gonna Rise

Everyday we hear there's gonna be another storm.
Yet we sleep tight all night.
There's always something fearful that they say is going on,
and claim we cannot fight.
We may as well be happy waiting out the tide.
It seems a better place for us to hide.

They say the river's gonna rise today; we say it's gonna be okay,
They say the river's gonna rise tonight; we say it's gonna be alright.

Someone's always telling folks there's danger in the air.
Yet still they breathe just fine.
They preach the end is coming, and forwarn us to beware.
That's how they waste their time.
We may as well be happy waiting out the storm.
We'll have our family love to keep us warm.

Let us all together say we know the end is near,
then let's enjoy the day.
We can't go on reviewing what inside we all must fear.
Let's let the children play.
We may as well be happy waiting out the storm.
We'll have each other's love to keep us warm.

V--- (E7 E7 A7 E7)2 B7 E7 B7 E7

CH--- A E A E A E A-B E

END--- F (Bb F)3 (Bb-C F)2 Bb F Bb F%

Last edited by BabuMusic; 04/23/23 02:56 AM.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty / Dave,

You guys have done it again! Love this track.

Too me, it has a similar feel and vibe of The Band around '68-'69. Excellent vocal and production as well. Really great stuff.

I enjoyed every bit of this.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Life is what it is, and it's up to you whether you smile at it or lament it.
LOVE your message.

For me the song could be a few BPMs faster, but other than that I really like it, Dave and you are really a great team.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty and Dave
The song is really good and so true
You can't even count all the "the end is coming" warnings that come at us every day.
All just to scare people, control them and make a lot of money.
Nice that you have made a song out of it.
Great work all along the line
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one Marty - & Dave of course.
the scare mongering's associated grift & graft is a nasty side effect of almost everything these days.
Left or right, green or charcoal coloured the fear's most revered by product is the mighty $.
The song's a cracker.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done my friend...blues with a contra-blues theme and some funk in the back ground...the phrase everyone uses with your playing and singing is "as usual" which once established it's excellence "as usual" and there's no exception here...Dave is right there "as usual" and your video is is cool (do I have to say it)...OK..."as usual"...another great project!!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty and Dave with another winner.
Super groove
Great vocal
Loved those lyrics
Super mix
One of your best

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty / Dave,

You guys have done it again! Love this track.

Too me, it has a similar feel and vibe of The Band around '68-'69. Excellent vocal and production as well. Really great stuff.

I enjoyed every bit of this.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. My favorite The Band time. Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty and Dave
The song is really good and so true
You can't even count all the "the end is coming" warnings that come at us every day.
All just to scare people, control them and make a lot of money.
Nice that you have made a song out of it.
Great work all along the line
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hello, Andi. Yeah, I guess that fear goes way back --primal even. Fear of death, fear of the future... then, you're right, add greed and... Still, we're having fun here. Thanks for being a part of that.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty/Dave,

Y'all just keep makin' magic.
Diggin' that wah, too.

Cool song. Good vocals.

Dave's guitar like an old friend.
And - OOOOOHHH that Bass!! So Smooth. So Even. So Present. Sweeeet.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow that opening guitar is awesome. Kudos to Dave. Kick-@ss solo.

The right and left channel guitars give tension to the song.

Catchy chorus. Harmonies are tasty. I like your optimistic outlook.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Marty & Dave,

Very neat & relevant theme of tune. Love the opening (and ending). Nice harmony jump. Excellent bass playing, and you can't go wrong with Dave, cool guitar parts. Vocals are great, but... it feels, that Wah is taking a bit out of them. I think they should be more forward / presence. Still, I didn't reach for written lyrics, as everything is clear. Just a personal taste thing. Good one and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
“We may as well be happy waiting out the storm.
We'll have each other's love to keep us warm. “

Janice saw the above and said, “yeah, a fellow optimist!”

From those opening notes played by Dave we knew this would be a great one, Marty.
This has a really nice groove and the wah wah and the piano combo work wonderfully.

Those notes on how you played the tracks are above our music pay grade but we enjoyed reading it smile

Ace lead and harmony vocals you got going there too as well as the mix.

The dog scenes and the kids playing in the mud were our favorite parts of your fine video.

Don’t worry, be happy!

J&B

PS We thought this was a cover at first of Warren Haynes' song! smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Life is what it is, and it's up to you whether you smile at it or lament it.
LOVE your message.

For me the song could be a few BPMs faster, but other than that I really like it, Dave and you are really a great team.

Thank, BD. I skipped replying to you until I had another chance to try it faster. I hear what you mean, but it seemed to take away some of the "Ay, whatever happens..." attitude.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice one Marty - & Dave of course.
the scare mongering's associated grift & graft is a nasty side effect of almost everything these days.
Left or right, green or charcoal coloured the fear's most revered by product is the mighty $.
The song's a cracker.

Thanks, Ray. "Scare mongering" has likely been a part of Humankind since we were able to share opinions. Guess it comes from not knowing the future, but it sure can take away from enjoying the present. Glad you enjoyed the song. I could talk forever about what an incredible world this could be without money, and often do, but it wouldn't even buy my a cup of coffee.

Originally Posted By: firesong
Well done my friend...blues with a contra-blues theme and some funk in the back ground...the phrase everyone uses with your playing and singing is "as usual" which once established it's excellence "as usual" and there's no exception here...Dave is right there "as usual" and your video is is cool (do I have to say it)...OK..."as usual"...another great project!!

Thanks, Dan (that's one "as usual" that never gets old for me). I like that "contra-blues theme" designation.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty and Dave with another winner.
Super groove
Great vocal
Loved those lyrics
Super mix
One of your best

Thank you, Mario. It means a lot.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great groove, nice to hear more funk flavor in your song, it really works well. Enjoyed also the gospel sounding catchy chorus. I like the "happy waiting for the end" message, although I'm bit worried that we couldn't try to avoid what's coming.
Dave's guitar and the bass sound both support the edgier approach, reminds me of a band called Blue Attitude smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty/Dave,

Y'all just keep makin' magic.
Diggin' that wah, too.

Cool song. Good vocals.

Dave's guitar like an old friend.
And - OOOOOHHH that Bass!! So Smooth. So Even. So Present. Sweeeet.

fj

Missed you, Floyd. Thanks so much. I see you have a new one here, too.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Wow that opening guitar is awesome. Kudos to Dave. Kick-@ss solo.

The right and left channel guitars give tension to the song.

Catchy chorus. Harmonies are tasty. I like your optimistic outlook.

Totally agree about that opening guitar, Scott. It's a jump in the deep end rather than a wading in the shallows. Right, Dave is a master of musical interpretation, always playing precisely what the song needs. Enjoy whatever happens.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty & Dave,

Very neat & relevant theme of tune. Love the opening (and ending). Nice harmony jump. Excellent bass playing, and you can't go wrong with Dave, cool guitar parts. Vocals are great, but... it feels, that Wah is taking a bit out of them. I think they should be more forward / presence. Still, I didn't reach for written lyrics, as everything is clear. Just a personal taste thing. Good one and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. I struggled with that wah, back and forth and enveloping in and out, but I seemed to only be concerned with interfering with Dave's guitar. I'll address that and see what I can do. I also noticed a lot of sibilance still in there.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

I can always count on you to deliver a highly enjoyable track! Great vocal and background vocals! You will never need any of the electric guitar lead solo realtracks as long as you have access to Dave's wonderful playing (HE GOT THE TONE) you are a real super blessing to this community!

Thanks, TB

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it! Vocals, guitars, etc.

The ending is especially cool!

But... wink

I'm a simple guy who likes his music to fall on the beat. In this case, the off beats.

But in this song, the beat falling "near" the downbeat, so to speak. It makes it harder to get into the groove.

You're making me work. And I'm too lazy for that! laugh

Still, very cool song.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
“We may as well be happy waiting out the storm.
We'll have each other's love to keep us warm. “

Janice saw the above and said, “yeah, a fellow optimist!”

From those opening notes played by Dave we knew this would be a great one, Marty.
This has a really nice groove and the wah wah and the piano combo work wonderfully.

Those notes on how you played the tracks are above our music pay grade but we enjoyed reading it smile

Ace lead and harmony vocals you got going there too as well as the mix.

The dog scenes and the kids playing in the mud were our favorite parts of your fine video.

Don’t worry, be happy!

J&B

PS We thought this was a cover at first of Warren Haynes' song! smile

I recognize your optimism, too, Janice. Thanks for so much, you two. Those were my favorite scenes, too.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great groove, nice to hear more funk flavor in your song, it really works well. Enjoyed also the gospel sounding catchy chorus. I like the "happy waiting for the end" message, although I'm bit worried that we couldn't try to avoid what's coming.
Dave's guitar and the bass sound both support the edgier approach, reminds me of a band called Blue Attitude smile

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I love that band. Right, if a tree is falling, we should run out of the way; but if the whole sky is falling, there's no reason to look up.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,

I can always count on you to deliver a highly enjoyable track! Great vocal and background vocals! You will never need any of the electric guitar lead solo realtracks as long as you have access to Dave's wonderful playing (HE GOT THE TONE) you are a real super blessing to this community!

Thanks, TB

Thanks so much, Torrey. Means a ton coming from you, my friend.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like it! Vocals, guitars, etc.

The ending is especially cool!

But... wink

I'm a simple guy who likes his music to fall on the beat. In this case, the off beats.

But in this song, the beat falling "near" the downbeat, so to speak. It makes it harder to get into the groove.

You're making me work. And I'm too lazy for that! laugh

Still, very cool song.

Good one, David. At first I thought you were talking more of the difference between a classical player and a jazz player, but now I get it. You're right, I think the best way to enjoy the funk is to let go of rules. Sometimes the simple stuff is by far the hardest to play.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
BRILLIANT!!! "Typical" Marty song, in the sense that it's infused with genuine positivity. If I'm down in mood, I know whose songs I look for, to listen to and get me back up (yes, yours smile ).

Dave's doing a superb job on the guitar! And your own bass is so blooming groovy smile - the perfect way to add even more feel-good positivity to the song! The final chord made me smile smile - but then, so did the rest of the song, in a good way. Thanks, thanks, thanks for sharing ... I needed this! smile

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Mornin' Marty & Dave....

Well...everyone else has said it all.
This is a good cut.
Cool lyrics, good delivery and great axe work by Blue.

Well done amigos!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,545
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173