Print Thread
Go To
#766433 05/24/23 03:21 AM
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was asked to write up a brief summary of my understanding of Model Playing for a guitar course I am attending. If you see anything wrong please hollar.

Modal Playing – A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma.

Different scales evoke different stories. In week 5 we learned the Major and Mixolydian shapes on the fretboard for both these scales.

The Mixolydian is made by flatting the seventh of the corresponding Major Scale. This results in different notes, but more importantly, a different interval sequence between the notes which results in different harmonized chords.

However, there are other scales (Shapes) we play on the guitar which would give us the exact same notes as A Mixolydian?

Mode Harmonized Chords Notes
D Ionian Scale I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii(dim) D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#
E Dorian Scale i, ii, III, IV, v, vi(dim), VII E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D
F# Phrygian Scale i, II, III, iv, v(dim), VI, vii F#, G, A, B, C#, D, E
G Lydian Scale I, II, iii, iv(dim), V, vi, vii G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#
A Mixolydian Scale I, ii, iii(dim), IV, v, vi, VII A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G
B Aeolian Scale i, ii(dim), III, iv, v, VI, VII B, C#, D, E, F#, G, A
C# Locrian Scale i(dim), II, iii, iv, V,VI, vii, C#, D, E, F#, G, A, B

Since all these scales have the same notes, how do we say we are playing any one mode? Is it the order of the notes we play? – NO! Model playing requires selection of harmonized chords which emphasis the root (the one chord) as presented in the Backing Track!

The characters (notes) in each story (scale) have a unique relationship (interval) associated with the main character (the root). The backing track must specify, via the harmonized chords, the root which has a unique relationship (attraction) with each of the characters in the scale.

So if the backing track is A mixolydian, and you know a killer C# Aeolian lick or an F# Phrygian groove, have at it. You will still be speaking Mixolydian.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #766440 05/24/23 03:54 AM
Expert
Expert
There's a trivial typo at the end of the first line after the list of modes that a spell-checker likely won't see ... Model->Modal

I like the characters & story analogy.

I think the content is correct and a good description. I think I'd have struggled to put it that well.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
DrDan #766446 05/24/23 04:27 AM
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for review, I will fix that typo.

Here is the 12 week class I am in. We are in Week 6 now. Always fun to work with this guy.

https://www.facebook.com/guitarplayback/

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #766452 05/24/23 05:15 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t have anything to holler, and I certainly wouldn’t want to
Click to reveal..
hollar
because you did a nice job. And happy birthday.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
DrDan #766453 05/24/23 05:18 AM
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Looks like I need a better spell checker. Thanks Matt.

DrDan #766523 05/24/23 02:44 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dan,

That's a great summary.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DrDan #792485 12/29/23 07:37 AM
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
"Model playing requires selection of harmonized chords which emphasis the root (the one chord) as presented in the Backing Track!"

Yours is an excellent and accurate summary based on my many years of misunderstanding this concept.

If you can - I would place this sentence in bold and add some more sentences and examples - this is the point I never understood. If you look at the amount of text allocated to this topic - far too much (relatively speaking) is spent on the OTHER scales that have the same notes, and this in my mind is actually deceptive. If the heart of a mode is indeed summed up in the sentence above - and I believe it is (after I've misunderstood the concept for many years), far more text and examples should expand on it.

DrDan #792597 12/29/23 04:21 PM
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback Joe. So something more specific in way of an example... how about this.

Example 1 Dorian
First we need a set of chords (i.e., a backing track) which will contains a progression which has only the notes of a specific Dorian Scale. Lets select A (R, 2, b3, 4,5, 6, b7) which includes notes: A, B, C, D, E, F#,G . We could pick the chords.

Am7 (R, b3, 5, b7) containing: A, C, E and G.
D7 (R, 3, 5, b7) containing: D, F#,A, C
GM7 (R, 3, 5, 7) containing : G,B,D, F#
C (R, 3, 5) containing : C, E, G
Em (R, b3, 5) containing: E, G, B

All these chords fit into our A dorian modal progression backing track since all the notes of all the chords come from the A dorian scale. All these chords have a relationship to root note A. So while each individual chord has its own Root which is home for the chord, there is a over riding pull of all these chords to A. A synergistic effect you may say to achieve a sad (due to the dorian b3 (C)), yet jazzy (due to the dorian 6th (F#)) type of feel!

You can make the backing track in BIAB with the chords above and use it to play your instrument over. Or listen to anything by Carlos Santana. Or here you go...

Jazz-A Dorian 105 bpm

Dan

DrDan #792714 12/30/23 09:31 AM
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Yes - I think that helps a lot - in fact, I would also suggest giving several Dorian progressions and what makes them dorian, emphasizing that the chords which contain the notes that make the mode unique be emphasized more than others.

Now - do modal progressions "resolve" - I suppose they should resolve to the root - which means that usually the first or last chord of a section should be the root chord of the mode...

Is that your understanding ?

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Joe Videtto2
Yes - I think that helps a lot - in fact, I would also suggest giving several Dorian progressions and what makes them dorian, emphasizing that the chords which contain the notes that make the mode unique be emphasized more than others.
Here in the BIAB forum, I am afraid this would be of interest to only you and I Joe. There are other places where folks need to go to get this info.

Originally Posted by Joe Videtto2
Now - do modal progressions "resolve" - I suppose they should resolve to the root - which means that usually the first or last chord of a section should be the root chord of the mode... Is that your understanding ?
Yes all progressions follow the same "rules" for resolution. Every progression wants to go Home (the root or 1 chord). There can be many ways to get there. But having the progession take you somewhere other than home, and leave you, is not a bad thing at all. In the case of A Dorian the Harmonized scale, in order is:
1) Amin (i)
2) Bmin (ii)
3) C Major (III)
4) D Major (IV)
5) Emin (v)
6) F#dim (vi-dim)
7) G Maj (VII)

So every one knows how a I, V, vi, IV progression from the Major Scale works. Try this same progression with Dorian scale by substituting in the i, v, vi-dim, IV.

disclaimer: still drinking my coffee so you may want to double check me on ALL this... grin

DrDan #793687 01/04/24 09:16 AM
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This guy seems to concur with me! grin

DrDan #795349 01/12/24 08:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Very Nice!! Best thing I have seen here in a while. Now with just this:

Mode Harmonized Chords Notes

D Ionian Scale I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii(dim) D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#
E Dorian Scale i, ii, III, IV, v, vi(dim), VII E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D
F# Phrygian Scale i, II, III, iv, v(dim), VI, vii F#, G, A, B, C#, D, E
G Lydian Scale I, II, iii, iv(dim), V, vi, vii G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#
A Mixolydian Scale I, ii, iii(dim), IV, v, vi, VII A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G
B Aeolian Scale i, ii(dim), III, iv, v, VI, VII B, C#, D, E, F#, G, A
C# Locrian Scale i(dim), II, iii, iv, V,VI, vii, C#, D, E, F#, G, A, B

And this:

Yes all progressions follow the same "rules" for resolution. Every progression wants to go Home (the root or 1 chord). There can be many ways to get there. But having the progession take you somewhere other than home, and leave you, is not a bad thing at all. In the case of A Dorian the Harmonized scale, in order is:

1) Amin (i)
2) Bmin (ii)
3) C Major (III)
4) D Major (IV)
5) Emin (v)
6) F#dim (vi-dim)
7) G Maj (VII)

I can now write 3,000 new songs in the next week.

Conveniently, having memorized the entire fretboard, which I can both see in my mind and play with my eyes closed, I could do some back backing tracks and play these 3,000 combinations in my sleep blindfolded.

Thanks guys! I guess I can post five songs a day on the forum now like other people!

I finally found something I can use! You are my heroes!

By the way, I would not say there are only a few people on the forum who would get this. There are some people around here who can flat out tear it to pieces when they pick up their instrument. And they also hit record as well. I know because I have heard them.

Also, don’t forget that once you do all of this you also have to go into the “Zone” where it you walk right off the tight rope and begin to defy gravity itself. That is where it all goes down. That is Santana.

But the “Zone”—ah, that is a place very few people find Daniel Son.

Wax on. Wax off.

Hai!

DrDan #795401 01/13/24 05:49 AM
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Great Stuff Dan, thanks for posting, I sure need to learn my modes on guitar, found this as well.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/guitar-modes/

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
DrDan #795412 01/13/24 07:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by DrDan
David, are you making fun of me?

No he is not making fun of you.

All he really said was a mode is a scale that starts and ends on a note other that a major scale's tonic note.

Ducking and running for cover.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #795417 01/13/24 08:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I am confused.

I do not see the "making fun of" post Mario is referring to, but I genuinely liked this thread a lot, made a document as a resource, and am using it now.

Jeez.

Never mind.

Veteran
Veteran
Apparently Dan deleted his post.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #795624 01/14/24 11:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
This site might make it easier to understand, for folks that are typing stuff into BIAB, given the nature of modal scales.

https://www.pianoscales.org/dorian-harmonizing.html

Say you are trying to set up a C Dorian progression in BIAB.

If you type in III if the key is set to C you will get E, not Eb, so it would actually be a III minor is you are trying to build a transposable template. I am experimenting with Eb and C minor as the key and not getting what I want. Still fiddling...

This may drive people mad.

However, if you just want the charts and notes above, this will explain it, and away you go.

Also, remember A Dorian is "A Minor-ish" but not Not A Minor and does yield exactly the same chord progression as the A Dorian Dan referenced in his example.

Look here:

https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com/guitarscalesminor

Simply studying the two links for these two examples gives a boatload of info of the simple but profound differences between "pop" and "jazz.

Though the two "minor" modes are similar (A Dorian and A Minor), the 6th chord of the A minor Progression is F, and the Dorian 6th is F# dim.

Huge difference. And therein lies the rub.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,644
Posts735,396
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.