Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Show Me The Magic (Reggae) on Soundclound
Show Me The Magic (Reggae) on YouTube

This song was originally written and recorded in 1991. It was redone a couple years ago with BiaB, and is on my 3rd album, but never posted here. In January I wanted to explore more of BiaB's MultitStyles, and this song was close to hand. One version, labeled Pop and in G with Dave Bell on guitar, was posted here in February. This one is a Reggae version. My favorite Reggae bassist is right here on the forum, Ray Cochrane. He did a terrific job and sent me 3 takes, from which I selected sections much like we do with the MultiRiffs. With all that and the various instruments panning left and right and in and out, the mix was rather daunting. There are enough envelops on the various tracks to fill a mail truck at Christmas.

File:Show Me The Magic-Reggae.SGU
Key=G , Tempo 99, Length (m:s)=4:09
Style is _SELECT+.STY (Jamaican Groove Selecta Multi)

RealTracks in style: 1153:Bass, Electric, Reggae Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 1156:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 3492:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SkaSlow Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 1155:Organ, B3, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 3524:Steel Drum, Soloist IslandGroove Ev16 100
RealDrums in style:ReggaeTambo^2-a:Sidestick, Tambourine , b:Sidestick, Tambourine2
...and a whole bunch of other stuff in the multistyles
Ray Cochrane on bass and I sang.

Show Me The Magic

You never do nothing, you never say nothing,
and I surrender to your charms.
A no-no means something. You never never nothing
when you're here laying in my arms.

Show me the magic, and everything else won't seem so tragic.
Then I will show you a thing or two, too.

A crazy feeling from floor to ceiling
will soon surround us in this room.
I beg you kneeling, please start revealing
the spells you spin when in the mood.

Show me the magic and we'll make the most from all of the gadgetry
that love will provide when we both take that ride.

Where is the magic? Show it to me now. That voodoo you do.
I feel alive when I'm with you. I do. SOLO

I beg you kneeling, please start revealing
those special spells you spin. Bring us to that mood.

Show me the magic, and everything else won't seem so tragic.
Then I will show you a thing or two, too, or three.

V- [(A D)3 G E]2 (pop version is in G)
CH- C G C G Em D F E E
BR- D G D G D G C E

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

What a groove! This sounds awesome - love the lyrics and the way you carry your vocal in this one. Right in the pocket!

Some great bass by Ray as well. Excellent mix and production.

Great, great stuff.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I liked the original, but as Reggae it's WAY cooler.
Marty featuring Reggae-Ray.
HA!

I didn't know Ray was good at Reggae, but when a bass player asks another bass player to play bass, he HAS to be good at it.
I'm a fan of Reggae anyway, but what you guys did there is genius.... immediately gives me a good feeling, makes my feet moving. Groovy as hell.
Good stuff!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice groove indeed. The bass and the steel drums really drive it forward.
Great job and great collab.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Love this, great groove. I want to dance this on de beach maan. great summery tune

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
it's a fab song Marty. Thanks for inviting me to play...it was rather daunting playing bass for such a fabulous bass player.
GREAT result.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love this arrangement - so many fun things to hear. laugh

Magic, indeed!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Marty,

The song is such a fine write that I don’t think it matters what genre you do it in . . . In fact, it’s a testament to how well written and catchy the song is that the song can be done in different genres. I think I slightly preferred the Dave Bell version . . . but very cool to hear this different take. Lot of ear candy in this one on the arrangement, The vocal is great, accentuated by some stellar bass playing by Ray. Nice take on an excellent tune!

My best to you both,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

What a groove! This sounds awesome - love the lyrics and the way you carry your vocal in this one. Right in the pocket!

Some great bass by Ray as well. Excellent mix and production.

Great, great stuff.

Bob

Thank you, Bob! Yeah, Ray was definitely the right choice.

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I liked the original, but as Reggae it's WAY cooler.
Marty featuring Reggae-Ray.
HA!

I didn't know Ray was good at Reggae, but when a bass player asks another bass player to play bass, he HAS to be good at it.
I'm a fan of Reggae anyway, but what you guys did there is genius.... immediately gives me a good feeling, makes my feet moving. Groovy as hell.
Good stuff!

Yeah, Ray has great taste with all his instruments, but i really enjoy his bass lines in his songs. He was again very creative and well-schooled in his Reggae touch. Thanks, BD!

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Nice groove indeed. The bass and the steel drums really drive it forward.
Great job and great collab.

Thanks, Steve. I know you are very knowledgeable about many things, including bass, and you would dig Ray's lines. Thanks!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Marty... very cool arrangement...one of the great things about BiaB is that if you don't like the band you can fire them without hard feelings...pull in a bunch of new guys, change the genre and hear a brand new song without rewriting it...it's a producers dream...I would love to hear the other arrangements sometime...but in the mean time this was a fun tropical magical journey...love the steel drums...I can almost smell the ocean!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty ...

Good choice with Ray on bass. I've collabed with him on a couple of songs, and he's good to work with. He's pretty dang talented! Both projects were fun.

You and Ray have created a truly fun song! I told my feet to quit moving and dancing, but they just ignored me - said they tried to stop but couldn't.

I got a lot more than my money's worth with this listen. Thanks for the enjoyment!

Best to both of you ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice to hear a reggae beat here.
Good groove Good lyrics I really like the way that you departed into the chorus the chord changes everything about it is just right on Ya Mon!

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song Marty. I also liked the video. Ray did an excellent job on the bass.

I think we should all do more collaboration here on the forum.

I wish we had a weekly Zoom meeting so that those of us who like to play could get together and kick ideas around. I bet I could con Steve Slechta into hosting it! I did not ask yet, but I met his dog the other day in North Carolina, a super cool dog, so Steve got to be one of the good guys...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Marty, what a super groove you have going on this one.
Outstanding vocal.
Ray did a phenomenal job on that bass!
Super mix also.

Loved it

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: japokeapeg
Love this, great groove. I want to dance this on de beach maan. great summery tune

Hey, thanks so much, Japokeapeg. On Memorial Day I played your song Submarine Pirates. So good.

Originally Posted By: rayc
it's a fab song Marty. Thanks for inviting me to play...it was rather daunting playing bass for such a fabulous bass player.
GREAT result.

Thank YOU for the education, Ray. You give so much, and I am one of your grateful recipients. Right now I'm Walking In The Garden and following your footsteps.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I love this arrangement - so many fun things to hear. laugh

Magic, indeed!

Thank you, David. Glad you like all of those whack-a-mole horns popping out from the mix. I tried to keep the pans the same for each instrument, meaning that each would always come from the same part of the stage.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

The song is such a fine write that I don’t think it matters what genre you do it in . . . In fact, it’s a testament to how well written and catchy the song is that the song can be done in different genres. I think I slightly preferred the Dave Bell version . . . but very cool to hear this different take. Lot of ear candy in this one on the arrangement, The vocal is great, accentuated by some stellar bass playing by Ray. Nice take on an excellent tune!

My best to you both,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. I totally agree with ya on Ray's stellar playing. The coolest thing with BiaB is the ability to quickly try songs out in different Styles. Then switch out some players more appropriate for the particular song. What a terrific songwriting tool.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty... very cool arrangement...one of the great things about BiaB is that if you don't like the band you can fire them without hard feelings...pull in a bunch of new guys, change the genre and hear a brand new song without rewriting it...it's a producers dream...I would love to hear the other arrangements sometime...but in the mean time this was a fun tropical magical journey...love the steel drums...I can almost smell the ocean!

Thanks, Dan. Yeah, I like that firing the band and getting a bunch of new guys thing with BiaB.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

Good choice with Ray on bass. I've collabed with him on a couple of songs, and he's good to work with. He's pretty dang talented! Both projects were fun.

You and Ray have created a truly fun song! I told my feet to quit moving and dancing, but they just ignored me - said they tried to stop but couldn't.

I got a lot more than my money's worth with this listen. Thanks for the enjoyment!

Best to both of you ...

Alan

You're so right about Ray, Alan. A treat in many ways. Listen to your feet, my friend, although they did lie to you about trying to stop.

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Nice to hear a reggae beat here.
Good groove Good lyrics I really like the way that you departed into the chorus the chord changes everything about it is just right on Ya Mon!

Thanks, Elliott. Yeah, that's a weird change to the chorus alright, but I'm glad you agree it works okay.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FUN.

You are the Funnest Song Man In The Showcase.

How cool is it that you can get a steel drum solo from BIAB?!?!
Cool horns, too (they aren't listed).
Ray's Bass is Sweeeeet.

This is stuck in my head now.

Magic.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty & Ray

A very enjoyable fun version. Cleverly done and well played.

Catchy.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Cool song Marty. I also liked the video. Ray did an excellent job on the bass.

I think we should all do more collaboration here on the forum.

I wish we had a weekly Zoom meeting so that those of us who like to play could get together and kick ideas around. I bet I could con Steve Slechta into hosting it! I did not ask yet, but I met his dog the other day in North Carolina, a super cool dog, so Steve got to be one of the good guys...lol

Billy

Thanks, Billy. Labs have been best-friends my whole life. We also have 3 cats, so, yeah, I like the idea of collabs. Talk soon.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, what a super groove you have going on this one.
Outstanding vocal.
Ray did a phenomenal job on that bass!
Super mix also.

Loved it

Thanks, Mario. That means a lot coming from that musical mind of yours.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
FUN.

You are the Funnest Song Man In The Showcase.

How cool is it that you can get a steel drum solo from BIAB?!?!
Cool horns, too (they aren't listed).
Ray's Bass is Sweeeeet.

This is stuck in my head now.

Magic.

fj

Yeah, BiaB has it all, right? Thanks, Floyd. I couldn't find anywhere where those horns were listed. They're just there, but not listed with the others in the Memo. Fun stuff to work with though. Thank you, kind sir.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty & Ray

A very enjoyable fun version. Cleverly done and well played.

Catchy.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Quite a diversion from the usual great guitar solo, but it was fun, and Ray elevated it all.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty and Ray
Marty, you are really trying out a lot of music styles lately.
But the results are always cool
That's also the good thing about BiaB, you can try out everything.
You and Ray are really doing a great job
Very Good collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173