Thou mine inheritance are, now and always
Thou and Thou only first in my heart
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art

High King of heaven, my victory won
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's sun
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all

About The Song
The song was written as a poem by the monk Dallan Forgaill in the 18th century, and translated into English by Mary E. Byrne in 1909 and set to the Irish tune "Slane" (named for a hill where St. Patrick defied High King Logaire of Tara).

The song is in the Public Domain. Of course, this version doesn't use that melody. wink

A friend wanted to record the original version, but suggested I make an "alternate" version of the song. Of course, I went to town with a sleepy-time major seventh-filled track with far too much harmony. It wasn't at all what she had in mind, but I had fun doing it. laugh

I've probably got too many FX on the lead vocal, (honestly, on everything) but I'm a sucker for reverb and delay. I probably should have spent more time on the mix, but I'm tired. There were a lot of guitar squeaks to remove on this track!

I originally had used Eleanor Forte on the track, but changed it to Natalie for no particularly good reason. There are some spots where the melody doesn't flow as well as I'd like, and I may go back and fix them. The nice thing about using synthetic vocals is that it's pretty easy to make changes to the melody and lyrics after the fact.

As usual, all comments are encouraged. Thanks for listening!

Edit 1: Changed the bass to an electric bass, balanced the harmony vocals at the beginning, lowered the FX on the guitar, adjusted Ozone to reduce distortion, added some reverb on the finals "Aaahs", and some other stuff I forgot...

Instruments
Lead Vocal: Natalie (SynthV)
Backing Vocals: Jun, Kevin (SynthV)
Guitar:: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
Piano::~2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
Bass: 3458:Bass, Electric, AmericanaPop8thsSteveAB Ev 100
Drums::CajonSlow16ths
Percussion: Shaker Loops (Essential Percussion)

FX Chain
Lead Vocal: Sunset Sound Studio (Isolation Booth, Studio 2), Greg Wells VocalCentric (Natural Vocal Mix)
Harmony Vocals: Trackspacer, LX 480 Essentials (Joe C Vocal Plate), Finisher Retro (Filterbank '85), Greg Wells VocalCentric (Lead Vocal Dry)
Cajon: Fame Studio (Studio B Live, Drums), Neutron Elements (Percussive 1), EZMix (Overhead & Plate), LX480 (Large Plate)
Shaker Loop: LX 480 (Ambient)
Guitar: Trackspacer, Sunset Sound Studio (Studio 2, Isolation Booth), Sunset Sound Studio (Plate Spring, Plate 1)
Piano: ReaEq (high pass), Finisher Retro (CEO Chorus)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #769094 06/20/23 11:47 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David
This is really very impressive
Would not have thought that the synth voices can sing with so much "feeling".
Congratulations. This is fantastic !!!
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

dcuny #769095 06/20/23 11:57 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Wow! This sounds tremendous. Leaps and bounds over past projects.

The singing is superb and the harmony is flawless. Awesome arrangement and mix.

I am throughly impressed!

Bob

dcuny #769103 06/21/23 02:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

When I saw the title I scratched my head and tought 'oke...??'
Then I listened, because you made me curious. I didn't expect you would imitate that monk from the 17th century with your AI-girls.
And that was a good decision I noticed.
A very nice/sensitive song sung by Natalie in a surprisingly good way. Man you really learned a lot how to tame them...
The feelings in her voice sounded so real.

I can only join Andi and Bob in their admiration for you.
And I think that monk too!

Very well done,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
dcuny #769119 06/21/23 07:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Excellent work with the voices.
A beautiful melody.

I really like the sound and patterns of the acoustic. Not a fan of that much reverb on an acoustic, though (but that could be because it has been my primary instrument for 50+ years - it doesn't come with any reverb smile )
The drums turn out to be, surprisingly, a "modern sounding" choice... (fitting for the modern-sounding vocals)

(after the 3rd listen, I got a more used to the acoustic sound)

I always enjoy listening to your music and reading about how it evolves...

fj

dcuny #769123 06/21/23 07:38 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
David...I love this! You did a super job creating a lovely contemporary melody for this classic hymn...I usually don't like many attempts by others to do this sort of thing but this is so tasteful and seems appropriate for the such hallowed lyrics...love the voices, repeats and harmonies...so well done...I'm still in awe of how you pull all of this off...5 Stars from me!!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
dcuny #769133 06/21/23 08:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Simply wonderful and enchanting in the most positive way.

I've heard several of your previous vocaloid recordings. They were very good. But this is exceptional. You brought the vocals to life to shine in front of a gorgeous arrangement. That was such a pleasing listen. I admire your work. This is a fine example of your continually improving work with AI voices. Very impressive!

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

dcuny #769159 06/21/23 02:34 PM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
David,

You really are a master of using these vocaloids. This vocal sounds wonderfully expressive and resonates so well. Great mix and overall production. Really like what you did on the harmonies . . . very engaging. Superb!

All my best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
This is really very impressive
Would not have thought that the synth voices can sing with so much "feeling".
Congratulations. This is fantastic !!!

Hi, Andi.

Actually, I was a bit worried that the lack of contrast within the verse would make it come off as monotone - especially without a chorus to provide contrast.

Thanks! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Wow! This sounds tremendous. Leaps and bounds over past projects.

The singing is superb and the harmony is flawless. Awesome arrangement and mix.

I am throughly impressed!

Hi, Bob.

Thanks! I actually did a bit less with the harmony than I've done in prior songs. I dropped the harmony on the first verse. The second verse is more typical of the sort of thing I like to do, with a bit more freedom with two voices on a call and response. The third is just a single voice mostly in parallel, and the fourth verse is just two voices doing (mostly) held "aaahs".

I guess less is really more. laugh

I appreciate you stopping to listen and comment!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
When I saw the title I scratched my head and tought 'oke...??'

Ha! laugh

Quote:
A very nice/sensitive song sung by Natalie in a surprisingly good way. Man you really learned a lot how to tame them...

I really like the lower register in Natalie's voice.

Part of the "trick" is moving the Tone Shift option to have her grab a slightly different timbre when she's on high notes.

The other is to manually "tune" notes where her vibrato is a bit much. Natalie has a really nice voice, but her vibrato can be quite fast, which I'm not a fan of. I would have preferred a wider vibrato in some places, but I stuck with those the AI generated to keep her in character.

I also adjusted Kevin's parameters a bit so he blended in more. He's got a vary nasal and forward voice. I wasn't sure I could use him, but with the adjustments he fit in surprisingly well.

Quote:
The feelings in her voice sounded so real.

Thanks, I think a lot of the "feeling" comes from the phrasing of the notes.

I tried phrasing things the way I thought a real singer would do it. And I couldn't resist giving her a bit of of Barbra Streisand "O bright heav'n's Sun". laugh

The notes where the pitch is held flat is where she sounds the most synthetic. That's where you can hear that the synthesis engine has issues. But the AI usually introduces a lot of jitter to the pitch line, giving it vibrancy and life.

Thanks for listening, and your kind words.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Excellent work with the voices.
A beautiful melody.

Thanks!

Quote:
I really like the sound and patterns of the acoustic. Not a fan of that much reverb on an acoustic, though (but that could be because it has been my primary instrument for 50+ years - it doesn't come with any reverb smile )

I agree - I really like the guitar.

As a rule, I like a lot of change in my arrangements, and usually try to change up the instrument before my ear tires of it. But in this case, I left the guitar in until the end, when I wanted a large contrast.

As for the reverb, you're spot on.

You know the rule - turn effects up until you hear it, and then back down until you can't hear it. That's something I intentionally didn't do because I really liked the sound of the plate reverb, but I knew I should have.

I've gone back and taken it down a notch on the guitar.

Quote:
The drums turn out to be, surprisingly, a "modern sounding" choice... (fitting for the modern-sounding vocals)

Thanks! The Fame Studio effects don't just capture the sound on the room, but the mikes and processing added. So it does a bit of "re-amping" so to speak, which really brought out the low end of the cajon. And I adding some reverb effects to give a bit more "air" to the snare sound.

Quote:
I always enjoy listening to your music and reading about how it evolves...

When my friend first suggested this song, I figured that BiaB would be perfect for it, and gave her a much more standard "country" sort of production.

But that wasn't what she had it mind, and she asked me if I could do something a bit more "contemporary". To me, "contemporary" that means simplifying the verses to a two chord song, but there's not really a chorus here to add contrast.

The change to 4/4 seemed a pretty obvious move, because otherwise there's not much space and it would sound too much like the original.

The first half of the song is just hanging out on two chords:

Gmaj7 | F#m

The second half is one of my favorite guitar progressions with the descending bass line and a shift to the minor on the V chord:

D |A/C# |Cadd2 |G |Gm |D

Once that was in place, it "opened up" the song, and it was just a matter of fitting the phrases to the chord changes. To my ears, the new melody sounds a bit too much like a harmony part, but it gave me the freedom to play around and adapt each verse to the lyric.

I figured it really wasn't what she had in mind, but my first swing was going to miss the mark anyway, so I should have fun with it.

And of course, with all those rests in the melody, there's plenty of room for harmonies. I added a really nice harmony to the first verse, but had to shift it to the second because it was a bit much.

I wanted something different on the third verse, so I just cloned the melody and shifted it up a sixth. It was too high for me male vocal, so it came down an octave, and then I started pushing notes around until I didn't sound that bad. I then tried to keep the harmony on the same note as long as possible, unless the melody was moving. It's that standard rule of harmony writing that I occasionally forget to use. wink

I probably should have swapped the harmonies in the second and third verse so there's a bit more build as the song goes along, but honestly I was too lazy and I'd already done the work of fitting it in.

There wasn't that much that needed to happen with the arrangement. I chopped out all the "snare" hits on the cajon so there would be a build when it was added in the second verse. Adding some shakers completed the arrangement.

I originally had an acoustic guitar solo on one of the verse, and worked it out using a BiaB guitar. But with four verses, it didn't seem like there was a place for it. I though perhaps I'd do a MIDI guitar part, but my keyboard wasn't talking to my computer, and I didn't feel like drawing in the notes by hand.

I tried other instruments as well, but the didn't really seem to add that much, so I figured I'd just do without. I then went through looking for FX that I thought would sound cool. And using Ozone really added a lot of punch to the mix.

There you go - even more than you wanted to know! laugh

Thanks for listening and commenting!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
David...I love this! You did a super job creating a lovely contemporary melody for this classic hymn...

Hi, Dan.

Thanks! There's a reason that classic hymns got to that point - there really isn't a need to re-interpret them.

Quote:
I usually don't like many attempts by others to do this sort of thing but this is so tasteful and seems appropriate for the such hallowed lyrics...

Thanks again. That's what I liked about working with this version - it gave me the opportunity to play around with the phrasing, which is what I think makes this version work.

Quote:
love the voices, repeats and harmonies...so well done...I'm still in awe of how you pull all of this off...

Honestly, by the time I'm finished, I can't really tell if it hit the mark. I didn't really intend to post this, but it was halfway done, and I figured I'd finish it up the way because I haven't done anything else in a while.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Simply wonderful and enchanting in the most positive way.

Thanks, Alan. I appreciate encouraging comments.

Quote:
I've heard several of your previous vocaloid recordings. They were very good. But this is exceptional. You brought the vocals to life to shine in front of a gorgeous arrangement.

That's good to hear!

I suspect that it's the SynthV voices that are getting better, but I'm happy to take the compliment anyway. wink

Thanks again!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
You really are a master of using these vocaloids. This vocal sounds wonderfully expressive and resonates so well. Great mix and overall production. Really like what you did on the harmonies . . . very engaging. Superb!

Thanks, Deej!

I always enjoy hearing your songs, so I'm glad I could give something back.

I'm just happy the synthetic vocals don't get in the way of enjoying the song.

Thanks for stopping to post! laugh

-- David Cuny

dcuny #769178 06/21/23 08:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,
I love everything about this but the lyric however it's a piece where the words don't matter for listening purposes as the band arrangement is fabulous and vocal harmonies on your melody are sumptuous.
This could & should be an exemplar for the use of synth voices.
The jump from your song to the following track, (no matter the quality of what follows), kills the effect of your ending though...I'd suggest uploading with an added 5 seconds on the end.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
dcuny #769229 06/22/23 04:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David,
Very nice arrangement - very good balance of instruments without overkill. Super use of vocal synth. Getting scary how realistic they get. Spotless, clear mix. Lyrics are a bit distant from my views, but musically well done and listens very well. Thank you for sharing,
Misha.

dcuny #769279 06/22/23 01:01 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the Natalie synth voice. Nice sweet tone and expressive, not shrill at all. Realistic sounding.

Lovely melody. I don't know the original hymn, but you did commendable work creating your own tune for the poem. Sounds very contemporary Christian.

dcuny #769355 06/23/23 07:31 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Absolutely beautiful! Well produced and vocals are top of the line!! What does Synth V after Natalie's name mean?

rayc #769362 06/23/23 09:43 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
I love everything about this but the lyric however it's a piece where the words don't matter for listening purposes as the band arrangement is fabulous and vocal harmonies on your melody are sumptuous.

Hi, Ray.

Thanks! And I appreciate you listening to the music for the sake of the music! smile

Quote:
The jump from your song to the following track, (no matter the quality of what follows), kills the effect of your ending though...I'd suggest uploading with an added 5 seconds on the end.

Good idea. I'll add that the next time I tinker with the song.

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 164