two strangers
both choosing losing sides

love can last forever
   but only if we really try
   in the end
   it's for you and me to decide

The Background

TL;DR: All comments are welcome!

I started with the EMPOWER demo, and made a bunch of changes. Then I exported a backing track into SynthesizerV and worked out a melody. While working on the lyric, I did something I do far too infrequently: I changed the key from C to G to better fit the voice.

For me, writing songs is a slog and then lots of rewrites, and this was no different. You might notice each verse re-uses much material from the prior verse. This is a convenient poetic device that minimizes the amount of new material I need to write.

Still, it took days before I dropped my "Ode to Summer" song idea, and eventually came up with something workable.

Although I loved the drums in the demo song, the handclaps seemed out of place for the lyric, so the RealDrums were replaced by UJAM drums, mostly because it was easier to build a drum track with UJAM than with EZ Drummer. Then I kept the MIDI, replaced the UJAM drums with an Addictive Drums drumkit.

As usual, I added a bunch of instruments. I had bought an 80's sounding keyboard library called Rhodes Affair 2, and decided to try adding that, along with the Fret Affair 80's guitar sound. Unsurprisingly, it made it very 80's sounding.

The BiaB GrungePopGritty Guitar soloist apparently has no idea what a Maj7th chord is, and plays Dom7th chords instead. Replacing "Cmaj7" and "Gmaj7" with "Em" and "Bm" mostly fixed that, but the guitar parts required a lot of editing.

I eventually generated a bunch of sustained chords so I could simplify the guitar parts even more.

I wasn't going to have a guitar solo in the song, but after listening, my daughter said "I like it, but it needs a guitar solo" like I feared she might, so... I carved out room and added a MIDI guitar solo after a couple hours work. Spoiler: the guitar solo you hear is not that MIDI, see next paragraph. wink

The same daughter said "I'm not feeling it" when she heard the solo, so I ended up building it in BiaB anyway. I'm not thrilled with the effects on it, but I don't have a digital guitar pedalboard, so it'll stay like that until I get better FX.

This was a real bear to mix. It started out as a "wall of sound", and became more so as I added more instruments. Less really is more!

I'm pretty happy with the mix, but feel free to tell me where I went wrong. laugh

Edit 1: I replaced the snare with a more genre-appropriate snare, slightly altered the guitar solo notes/FX/raised the volume, and modified the guitar solo at the end.

Edit 2: My son did some tweaking to get the bass, kick and snare to play nice. There's also a huge reverb tail after the guitar solo, which I think is too much, but be says that's what the kids are into these days it's super-dope*.

[*] I doubt anyone used the phrase "super-dope", ever. Then again, as I was leaving the mall the other day, I passed someone who said "I'd like to see the Haunted Mansion [film]", so stranger things have happened. wink

The Instruments
Lead Vocal: SynthesizerV (Natalie)
Backing Vocal: SynthesizerV (Qing Su)
Bass: 1010:Bass, Electric, BritInvasion Ev 140
Ac Gtr1: 406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
Ac Gtr2: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
El. Gtr1: 2535:Guitar, Electric, HeldChords Gritty
El. Gtr2: Indiginus Generation Electric Guitar
Keyboard: Rhodes Affair 2 (LA 85)
80's El. Gtr: Fret Affair
Ac. Gtr 3: Indiginus Renegade Acoustic
Drums: Addictive Drums (United Pop/Acoustic Pop)
Bg. Lead Gtr 1: 3729:Guitar, Electric, Soloist GrungePopGritty Ev 110
Bg. Lead Gtr 2: 3729:Guitar, Electric, Soloist GrungePopGritty Ev 110
Solo Guitar: 3729:Guitar, Electric, Soloist GrungePopGritty Ev 110

The FX Chain
Master Track: HoRNet ThirtyOneMK2, HoRNet MasterTool, GregWells MixCentric.(Mix Fairydust)
Lead Vocal: SynthesizerV (Natalie), GregWells VoiceCentric (Lead Vocal), Panagement2 (Heaven)
Vocal Buss: Raum (Grounded), Panagement2 (Heaven)
Backing Vocal: SynthesizerV (Qing Su), GregWells VoiceCentric (Backing Vocal), Panagement2 (Heaven)
Backing Vocal Buss: Raum (Grounded), Panagement 2 (Heaven)
Bass: TrackSpacer (ducking vocal)
Ac Gtr1: TrackSpacer (ducking vocal), Panagement 2 (Heaven)
Ac Gtr2: TrackSpacer (ducking vocal), Panagement 2 (Heaven)
El. Gtr1: Panagement 2 (Heaven)
El. Gtr2: Indiginus Generation Electric Guitar, Panagement 2 (Heaven)
Keyboard: Rhodes Affair 2 (LA 85), Panagement2 (Heaven)
El. Gtr: Fret Affair, Panagement2 (Heaven)
Ac. Gtr 3: Indiginus Renegade Acoustic, Panagement2 (Heaven)
Drums: Addictive Drums (United Pop/Acoustic Pop)
Bg. Lead Gtr 1: Raum (Airy), Panagement 2 (Concrete)
Bg. Lead Gtr 2: Raum (Airy), Panagement 2 (Concrete)
Solo Guitar: EZ Mix 2 (Guitar Solo), JS Delay w/Tempo Ping-Pong, Panagement 2 (Concrete)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #774029 08/16/23 11:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Love it!

You have a really nice big sound here - great mix. Natalie sound excellent.

Awesome work!

Bob

dcuny #774061 08/17/23 07:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A pop song to my taste: nice melody and pleasant chording (clever way to start using something else than the base chord and the transition to the chorus is also very nice), 80's feel and Natalie is the perfect voice for it. The electric piano has nice sound, reminds me of some 80's movie soundtrack. Lyrically would be a good one for a teenage movie, although I can find deeper "read between the lines" levels fitting for AOR. The arrangement and mix are very well done. On the first listening, I didn't like the background lead guitar, but it seems that I got used to it on further listenings. Maybe the title is bit too generic, otherwise I wouldn't change a thing smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

dcuny #774067 08/17/23 07:56 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sounds Great. Natalie sounds natural, SynthV is getting to be the vocal tool of choice. I found she sounds best in her low-mid register, which works on this song. Lowering the key worked well. Excellent use of Real Tracks, Mix and Production is spot on. Excellent Job on this one.

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

dcuny #774118 08/17/23 03:11 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David,
Solid tune. A bit sad, but glimpse of hope at the end. Nice vocal structure at choruses. Fun instrumentation. Mix is very clear. This is only an opinion, but I think the drums are a bit strange for this particular tune. Me thinks that jazzy or perhaps even completely different, something of old school 808 drum sound might give it another facet. Fun listen and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

dcuny #774122 08/17/23 03:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David

Nice easy listen. The guitar solo sounds fine to me.

Vocals are nicely programmed and mixed.

A good tune.

Peter

rsdean #774127 08/17/23 04:28 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Love it!

You have a really nice big sound here - great mix. Natalie sound excellent.

Awesome work!

Hi, Bob.

Thanks! I appreciate your positive comments. smile

-- David Cuny

jannesan #774128 08/17/23 04:34 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
A pop song to my taste: nice melody and pleasant chording (clever way to start using something else than the base chord and the transition to the chorus is also very nice), 80's feel and Natalie is the perfect voice for it. The electric piano has nice sound, reminds me of some 80's movie soundtrack. Lyrically would be a good one for a teenage movie, although I can find deeper "read between the lines" levels fitting for AOR. The arrangement and mix are very well done. On the first listening, I didn't like the background lead guitar, but it seems that I got used to it on further listenings. Maybe the title is bit too generic, otherwise I wouldn't change a thing smile

Hi, Janne.

Thanks for the detailed comments! smile

I wasn't sure what to do about the title, because even once the song was done, I didn't have an idea what the title should be - not a good sign for a pop song, because it's a
failure to deliver a strong hook.

I was thinking about "Two Decide", but thought that was a bit too clever for its own good.

Thanks again for listening and posting!

-- David Cuny

Elliott Kayne #774129 08/17/23 04:37 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Sounds Great. Natalie sounds natural, SynthV is getting to be the vocal tool of choice. I found she sounds best in her low-mid register, which works on this song. Lowering the key worked well. Excellent use of Real Tracks, Mix and Production is spot on. Excellent Job on this one.

Hi, Elliott.

Natalie is fast becoming one of my favorite SynthV voices. As you said, the low/mid register is where she works best.

Thanks for the kind words on the song and production, I appreciate it!

-- David Cuny

Rustyspoon# #774131 08/17/23 04:49 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Solid tune. A bit sad, but glimpse of hope at the end. Nice vocal structure at choruses. Fun instrumentation. Mix is very clear. This is only an opinion, but I think the drums are a bit strange for this particular tune. Me thinks that jazzy or perhaps even completely different, something of old school 808 drum sound might give it another facet. Fun listen and thank you for sharing.

Hi, Misha.

Thanks for mentioning the ending. There's a songwriting "rule" that each verse should bring something new and change things a bit, and once I hit on that ending, it felt like I'd finally gotten to the heart of the song.

You're probably right about the drums - I didn't look too hard for a replacement. I was looking for something that had punch rather than being genre specific.

After reading your comment, I played around with putting in a LinnDrum sort of sound, but I'm not thrilled with the kits that I've got. I'll give it some more thought, though. There are some 80's kits that are available from Audiolounge (the same company that created the Rhodes Affair) that I may consider getting at some point.

I'm glad you enjoyed the listen. Thanks for stopping by! smile

-- David Cuny

PeterF #774132 08/17/23 04:51 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nice easy listen. The guitar solo sounds fine to me.

Hi, Peter.

Cool, I'll stop worrying about it (but may eventually change the FX anyway). wink

Quote:
Vocals are nicely programmed and mixed.

A good tune.

Good to hear!

Thanks for listening and commenting! smile

-- David Cuny

dcuny #774158 08/18/23 01:13 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I liked the drum sound per say, David. Maybe you could try something lighter for this but you're maybe already looking.
The vocal is good apart from I detected a high pitch flutter here and there but no big issue.

All in all, clever stuff.

Vic

dcuny #774180 08/18/23 05:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David you are the master of the Synth V!

Natalie sounds very organic.
I liked that guitar solo, great work on that.
This must have been a bear to mix with all those instruments and effects!
Regardless you did one heck of a job on it as it sounds like it was mixed in a pro studio.
I liked the drums also.

Great job on this one David.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
dcuny #774279 08/19/23 01:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The guitar intro made me think of The Eagles for some reason...
The snare is very up front which suggests the bass guitar could do with being a little closer to it in level but the bass sounds like a very busy, synthy bass so maybe not.
Misha has the goods on the narrative flow...it works.
Really cool mix other than the upfront snare.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
dcuny #774311 08/20/23 02:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good to me, David! Vocal sounds excellent, love hearing that vibrato!

Guitar solo also sounds good. I read your note about doing it in midi, do you mean you composed it using a midi editor? Very impressive if that's the case.

Good one, enjoyed.

vicarn #774345 08/20/23 08:27 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Vic.

Originally Posted By: vicarn
I liked the drum sound per say, David. Maybe you could try something lighter for this but you're maybe already looking.

I've got back and substituted a genre-specific Linn-style snare. I'm on the fence about it, as I really liked the smack of the prior snare, but I'll see.

Quote:
The vocal is good apart from I detected a high pitch flutter here and there but no big issue.

Yep, I should go back and correct some of that.

Quote:
All in all, clever stuff.

Thanks! smile

-- David Cuny

MarioD #774347 08/20/23 08:31 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Mario.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
David you are the master of the Synth V!

I suspect that it's just that SynthV keeps improving, but thanks! smile

Quote:
I liked that guitar solo, great work on that.

I've gone back and update my initial comments.

After my daughter panned my MIDI solo, I went back and found something in BiaB to replace it. So I can't take any credit for the solo. blush

Quote:
This must have been a bear to mix with all those instruments and effects!
Regardless you did one heck of a job on it as it sounds like it was mixed in a pro studio.
I liked the drums also.

Yeah, there was just too much going on. There still is, in places, but I need to rest my ears a bit before making any more drastic cuts.

Quote:
Great job on this one David.

Thanks, I appreciate it! laugh

-- David Cuny

rayc #774349 08/20/23 08:37 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Ray.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The guitar intro made me think of The Eagles for some reason...

The snare is very up front which suggests the bass guitar could do with being a little closer to it in level but the bass sounds like a very busy, synthy bass so maybe not.[/quote]
Well, I've brought in a different snare. I should probably EQ the bass so it sits a bit better.

Quote:
Misha has the goods on the narrative flow...it works.

Good to hear. It was one of those things where I wasn't sure where the song was taking me, but I wasn't there yet. And when I finally got the right lyrics, it finally felt like it had arrived at where it was headed.

Quote:
Really cool mix other than the upfront snare.

I've replaced the snare with a Linn-style snare (but still have a bit of reverb on it, so it's not quite as in your face.

Since that's one of the things I liked about that drum kit, I might put it back in, but I'll give it a chance.

Thanks for listening and the feedback - positive and negative! laugh

-- David Cuny

BlueAttitude #774350 08/20/23 08:41 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Dave.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good to me, David! Vocal sounds excellent, love hearing that vibrato!

Good to hear!

Quote:
Guitar solo also sounds good. I read your note about doing it in midi, do you mean you composed it using a midi editor? Very impressive if that's the case

Unfortunately (for me) I jettisoned the MIDI version and replaced it with something from BiaB.

It's obviously tweaked so it flows the way I want, but I can't take credit for it. I've changed the description to make that more clear.

Quote:
Good one, enjoyed.

Great, thanks for listening and posting! smile

-- David Cuny

dcuny #774458 08/21/23 08:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Love the sound of this. Fresh is the word that comes to mind. And it moves - propels you along with it.
I like the write. Especially the melody.
Won't even mention how good you make those virtual singers sound. That's a given.
I like the guitar.
The drums are interesting. The snare was...different. Good to experiment (many producers are using "different" snares these days).

I kept expecting the chorus to "soar". The verse melody seemed to indicate it would.
The chorus sounded like a bridge to me - the melody and where it went. That happened each time.
Each time, I expected that chorus to "rise".
I like when my ear is challenged with new things. This does that. Could be that repeated listens would "train" my ear and teach me something new...

You obviously put a lot of thought into each aspect of the creation of a song. I applaud you.

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,555
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163