Page 1 of 2 1 2
#774565 08/22/23 07:54 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Title: At Home

Link: At Home

After some family issues, I'm finally in the mood (and have the time) to write songs again (before you ask, yes, all is good again).
I tried to comment on some of your songs for a while, but I probably missed a lot. I'm sorry about that...

This song began as a musical version of a poem I wrote, with only vocals and piano.
Beautiful in its simplicity. Pure!

Then I added a guitar, a second singer and some more guitars, and from there on everything got a little out of control.
The result is something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Nu-Metal.

I have never written rap lyrics before, so I would be very grateful if some of you old rappers (Velociraptors smile )
could give feedback on this, because as always I have no idea what I'm doing.

While my last song was a bit over-specific and detailed ("burn your house and wreck you car"), this song is just the opposite:
I wanted to create a mood and/or a feeling and let the listener decide what I'm talking about.
I don't know if that works, but I hope you'll tell me if it's good or, as they say, "the world isn't ready for your music yet" :-)
I can live with either.

The lyrical idea is inspired by Phil Colins, melody and chords by Ludwig B.
You'll find out what that means...

Some background information that no one asked for:
  • it's not as easy as i thought to write rap lyrics ... at least if you are as crazy as me to write in a foreign language!
    Too many words per second.
  • I almost gave up on the song because it just wouldn't work.
    I found that Ludwig had written his Sonata No. 14 too slow, and after I added just 4 BPM, all my problems were solved. Blame him!
  • If you know of any good, simple powerchord RTs, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me which ones are usable.
    I didn't find what I needed, so I had to play them myself, something I usually try to avoid.

A BIG "thank you" (again) to Marty for linguistic advice and being just a great guy to talk to.

Some technical information:
Style: _TINES.STY

The band:
Drums: PraiseWorshipUptempo16 + SkaSlow70sWesPerc
Bass: 4363 (re-amped)
Guitars: (some re-amped)
2x 3931
Bosendorfer 290 Piano, synths and some guitar work (EBow and powerchords + lead in the chorus) by yours truly.

Vocals: Solaria ft. Ritchy, BG vocals from Eleanor and Cong.

You can find the lyrics in the next post.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #774566 08/22/23 07:54 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Title: At Home

(Intro)
In the embrace of twilight
The river weeps
Whispers softly to the night
Moonlit tears on the shore of life
Forever
Forever

(Verse 1)
Eternal pain
The trauma of my life
The loneliness
Is deep in my heart
Dark black rain
Is all I can see deep inside

(Verse 2)
Why are you drawn to the darkness?
I see you drowned in the void
Can't feel your dreams at night
Where do you go?
I can't follow you any more
I'm losing you

(Chorus 1)
I'm flying home where I belong
Where I feel at home
At peace with myself
Alone at home

(Bridge 1)
The echoes of my laughter
Fade like shadows in the night
Like footprints in the sand
They never last

(Bridge 2)
A shattered mirror, a fractured mind
Like puzzle pieces misaligned
Memories warped, deceptive truth
Chasing rainbows of my youth

(Chorus 2)
Where I feel at home
At home with myself
Alone at home

(Verse 3)
Why are you drawn to the darkness?
What are the things you see?
You can't go on like this
Pitch black night
Is all around you and your mind
There's no coming back

(Chorus 3)
Where I feel at home
At peace with myself
Alone

(Chorus 4)
Home where I belong
Where I feel at home
At home with myself
At home

Last edited by B.D.Thomas; 08/22/23 07:57 AM. Reason: Lyrics added

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #774578 08/22/23 09:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brian...

Heavy Theatrical Rock.

Not many can pull that off. You've "done it in spades".

A Good Rock write. Prosody is really important - the words have to sounds like "they've always been there" - as much a part of the music as any other instrument in the mix. That happens here.

The piano sounds Great!
The guitars have all the Power and Punch required.
The Vocals are astounding. The trade-offs are exceptionally well done.

Extremely Well Done.

Kudos.

fj

B.D.Thomas #774590 08/22/23 12:02 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah man, another good job. Rap isn't the easiest thing to write or perform. I learned quite a bit on the last song I worked on and it's a genre that I'm not that interested in at this point in time...... but yeah, it's not as easy as it sounds. It's that way with all good music actually.

I like what you did. Nicely done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
B.D.Thomas #774591 08/22/23 12:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brian,

Great sound. Love the production. Excellent job on the rap write.

So well done.

Bob

B.D.Thomas #774616 08/22/23 03:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Brian.

I heard this over on the SynthesizerV site. Great use of contrasting voices and styles.

My only complaint - and of course, it's nothing really - is the use of the word "home" to describe "home":

Where I feel at home

Yeah, it's really nothing. And after all, a lot of time people might not feel at home... at home.

Oh, yeah - the "dark black rain". Because is there "light black rain"?

Actually, it's a perfectly fine poetic device, I'm just being silly. wink

Big and dramatic. Well done, both with the vocals and the arrangement.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
B.D.Thomas #774631 08/22/23 08:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You did well, the spoken word sections are very modern rock sounding and when it slips into rap it works pretty well.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
B.D.Thomas #774643 08/23/23 01:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You know I love this, BD. I'm not all that experienced with the genre, but I know goodness when I hear it. This is so good. I already gushed to you about the lyrics. Such wonderful poetry. The music is perfectly mixed, and you did a great job with the voices. Also love the classical ending.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
floyd jane #774737 08/24/23 12:08 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Brian...

Heavy Theatrical Rock.

Not many can pull that off. You've "done it in spades".

A Good Rock write. Prosody is really important - the words have to sounds like "they've always been there" - as much a part of the music as any other instrument in the mix. That happens here.

The piano sounds Great!
The guitars have all the Power and Punch required.
The Vocals are astounding. The trade-offs are exceptionally well done.

Extremely Well Done.

Kudos.

fj

Thank you Floyd for your detailed feedback, which I appreciate.
As a fan of Jim Steinman's works, "Heavy Theatrical Rock" sounds good to me smile

And thanks for your feedback on prosody, that's something I (as a non-native speaker) struggle and try to improve with each song,
and where I steal take inspiration from your singing.

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Guitarhacker #774739 08/24/23 12:15 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yeah man, another good job. Rap isn't the easiest thing to write or perform. I learned quite a bit on the last song I worked on and it's a genre that I'm not that interested in at this point in time...... but yeah, it's not as easy as it sounds. It's that way with all good music actually.

I like what you did. Nicely done.

Thanks for listening and your comment, Herb.
I think when you have a typical 2 chord loop to rap over, it's easier than rapping to a melody.
But it definitely needs a different mindset.

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #774779 08/24/23 09:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well to start as a couple of folks on the forum do ... "it's not our genre" ... or "we usually don't like blah blah" smile

In actuality we think floyd parsed things out exceedingly well. It is stadium filling in sound and the mix is simply powerful (amazing on the monitors).

And it may well be the first time we've listened all the way through what was described as a rap song; however your use of the rap intertwined with the very melodic singer turns out to be an epic juxtaposition. Well done genre melds like this are fun.

It's hard to fathom the amount of work that went into this!

J&B

rsdean #774820 08/25/23 12:48 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Brian,

Great sound. Love the production. Excellent job on the rap write.

So well done.

Bob

Bob,
thank you for listening and for your feedback. Much appreciated smile

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #774841 08/25/23 05:57 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done Brian.
Lyrics and instrument tracks are great. Everything fits here.

Vic

B.D.Thomas #774963 08/27/23 06:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great dramatic intro (clever way to start with the breathe), nice contrast to the following rap part. Combining classical, heavy and rap music is quite an original idea and transitions between them are seamless. Also the lyrics have that contrast between three parties, the healing process from eternal pain to the edge of darkness and then to peace. Very good work with the singers, in some parts I can hear unnatural flow ("mirror"), but that's how I feel with some bit hits also, so the problem is in my head smile. I appreciate the hard work it must have required to put all this together, your guitar work sounded fine among the BIAB guitars.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

B.D.Thomas #774985 08/27/23 01:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brian, Floyd hit the genre right on the head for this one, "Heavy Theatrical Rock".

Man those synth vocals sound real! Excellent job on that.

Loved those tempo changes and dynamics - brilliant.

Loved it.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
dcuny #775050 08/28/23 11:28 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
[...]Oh, yeah - the "dark black rain". Because is there "light black rain"?

Sure there is ... there's dark black rain, and if the weather forecast does not predict much of it, it's a light black rain. With some sunshine in the afternoon.
grin

Thanks, David, for listening and your comment, which I appreciate as always

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
rayc #775051 08/28/23 11:34 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
You did well, the spoken word sections are very modern rock sounding and when it slips into rap it works pretty well.

Thanks Ray.
This genre is completely new to me, so I'm very glad it seems to work for you.

Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #775055 08/28/23 12:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Velociraptors" Hahahahhaaaa!

Astounding production. You obvious paid meticulous attention to detail.

The two vocals work seamlessly well together.

It seems to me you have the rap lyrics down well.

B.D.Thomas #775064 08/28/23 03:21 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You've done a superb job on this.

Excellent work all round.

Great stuff.

Peter

B.D.Thomas #775127 08/30/23 01:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Velociraptors" LOL
Brian,
To me it sounds like modern pop rock versions of bands like 2Unlimited, Milli Vanilli, etc. Excellent showcase of composition skills and production. Very professionally done. Thank you for sharing,
Misha.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,572
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162