Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#781074 11/04/23 05:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
BETTER DAYS

"Get busy living or get busy dying."
Surely someone around here has used that phrase in a song. I can honestly say that I'm not aware of it though and decided to implement it in one of my songs. Last week I had the above line from a movie pop into my mind and felt I needed to use it! . I am now pretty much satisfied with the track and will probably leave it like it is!

BIAB
DRUMS - Nashville Radio Shuffle Mike
Bass - 3565 Nashville Radio Shuffle
Piano - 2728 Blues Shuffle Mike
Guitar - 3609, 951 and 953
Organ - 2729 Blues Shuffle Mike

Me
Vocals and guitar solo, rhythm and fills on a
40 year old Ibanez artist I dug out of the closet

Better Days
Words and music by
Torrey Bliss/Ron Helm
©2023 Glass Gate Music BMI

Old guitar with two broken strings
In the corner mocking me
Notebooks filled with my shattered dreams
Full of words that no-one reads
Inside the rain keeps pouring down
Filling blind eyes that want to see
On the verge of throwing it all away
Then I hear a voice telling me
Oh redemptive words that changed it all

Get busy living or get busy dying
Ol Red spoke words of wisdom
I've come too far just to
turn around
When better days are yet to come

A man named John said that life's gonna happen
When we're busy making other plans
There's no need to worry about tomorrow
We gotta trust we're in God's hands
Live for the truth not just what makes you happy
It's the way to honor His command
Walk in the light come out of the darkness
In spite of what the world demands
Oh decide just where you'll make your stand

turn around

The race is ours to run
We've come too far just to
turn around

Oh don't become an old re-run
Oh believe the best is yet to come

turn around

The race is ours to run
We've come too far just to
turn around

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 11/06/23 06:18 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
GLORIOUS chorus Torrey.
Excellent verses, arrangement, playing and sing but the chorus really jumps after that that brief bridge in the last line of the verses.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Old guitar with two broken strings...

So...a ukulele? wink

There's some pumping from the vocals, like you're ducking aggressively. Not really a complaint, since I'm big fan of clear vocals.

Poppy, catchy, and upbeat.

I like it! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
rayc #781104 11/05/23 03:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Ray, for the listen and comment! always appreciated! T

dcuny #781105 11/05/23 03:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by dcuny
Old guitar with two broken strings...

So...a ukulele? wink

There's some pumping from the vocals, like you're ducking aggressively. Not really a complaint, since I'm big fan of clear vocals.

Poppy, catchy, and upbeat.

I like it! laugh
Thanks, David, no ukes here nor any broken strings! Thanks for the listen and comment! You and another individual who listened and contacted me mentioned a compression issue. I went back to my system and listened again and couldn't hear any compression pumping going on. but just to be safe I reduced compression levels a bit across the board on individual and master channels and re uploaded. I often wonder if SoundCloud is adding more compression to the track after uploading but I guess I have no control over that!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,

This is an outstanding song with a killer chorus...

Production is pro / top notch and your vocal is excellent. Love the way you sing!

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I love your song and its positive message, really well done in every way.
But one question remains: Who is "Ol Red"?

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #781128 11/05/23 06:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
I love your song and its positive message, really well done in every way.
But one question remains: Who is "Ol Red"?
Thanks for the listen and comment! Red is the role played by Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Lennon quote: When asked about his 5 year old son Julian he said, "I want to grow up to be just like him."

What an excellent song you crafted here, Torrey. Nothing new in that. Such a fine professional sound. Great band and some of the best vocals I've heard anywhere. Well, thanks for making this a better day, Torrey.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
rsdean #781181 11/05/23 12:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
Torrey,

This is an outstanding song with a killer chorus...

Production is pro / top notch and your vocal is excellent. Love the way you sing!

Bob
Thanks Bob! You are always so encouraging to me! T

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent write and balanced up great, Torrey.

Vic

BabuMusic #781251 11/06/23 05:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Favorite Lennon quote: When asked about his 5 year old son Julian he said, "I want to grow up to be just like him."

What an excellent song you crafted here, Torrey. Nothing new in that. Such a fine professional sound. Great band and some of the best vocals I've heard anywhere. Well, thanks for making this a better day, Torrey.

You are quite welcome my friend and thanks for the encouraging words! T

vicarn #781253 11/06/23 05:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Vic I appreciate it! T

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey & Ron,

A strong write. Nice melody, too. The chorus takes off....Nice!
Nice tracks. Well mixed.
Sweet vocals and BGVs.
Quality guitar solo. That 40 year old Ibanez sounds great.

I always enjoy listening to your Music. (they aren't "just songs").
And, again...I know folks always reference The Beatles, but MAN! do you remind me of Todd Rundgren (I hope you recognize that as a HUGE compliment) with some Badfinger sprinkled into the mix. A great Sound.

fj

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nice song with a nice message. I like the way it the sound and instruments increase (builds) towards the end.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Another super Torrey and Ron creation...I loved it from the get go...your stylized (very Torrey Bliss) guitar sound and solos are always so tasteful and apropos...I love the lyrics and the positive message...your vocals are stellar and the harmonies (as usual) are tight and unique...I've been waiting to hear your next post for a while (you needed to get back to this side of the pond I guess) and I'm certainly not disappointed...keep the Glass Gate open brother!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really solid rock tune! Love the song, vocals, instrumentation, arrangement, mix and production. Did I leave anything out? Don't think so. This is about perfect. Especially liked the placement of your solo and how that transitioned back into the vocals. The Ibanez Artist series consisted of many models but most had really hot pickups, and those with solid bodies could top ten pounds (a load!). Whichever one it was sounded really fine in your hands. I don't think I'd touch a thing on this one either.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Old guitar with two broken strings
In the corner mocking me
Notebooks filled with my shattered dreams
Full of words that no-one reads"

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Upbeat instrumentation that matches the lyrics.

That old Ibanez sounds great on the solo.

BTW, John Lennon sang those words about "life is what happens..." in "Beautiful Boy."

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song! Very "Torrey".. a little Beatles, a little ELO and a lot of of you!

Good job to both of you guys!

floyd jane #781393 11/07/23 06:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Torrey & Ron,

A strong write. Nice melody, too. The chorus takes off....Nice!
Nice tracks. Well mixed.
Sweet vocals and BGVs.
Quality guitar solo. That 40 year old Ibanez sounds great.

I always enjoy listening to your Music. (they aren't "just songs").
And, again...I know folks always reference The Beatles, but MAN! do you remind me of Todd Rundgren (I hope you recognize that as a HUGE compliment) with some Badfinger sprinkled into the mix. A great Sound.

fj
Thanks for Floyd for the encouraging words! Ron said he appreciates it also! T

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173