Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I believe, and have for decades, that this is the best rock power ballad ever. To do it Steven Crowder style, "Change my mind."

+++Into The Night, by Benny Mardones+++

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I disagree. I think Love Hurts is the best rock power ballad ever:

But this is just my opinion.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's why I made the post! To hear opinions. Also a good choice, but I don't know if this would be a power ballad. Still, a good choice.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK so lets really mix it up. This is the way it was done back in the early 70's. Building and building until the most famous G5 note that few male singers can produce.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I had that album and played it TO DEATH!!! I don't know that I'd call Andrew Lloyd Webber music from a score of a play a "rock ballad' but again, this is about opinions. And a great song with a great performance. 3 good choices so far. I'd love to have 10% of the money Webber made from just one of his scores. Cats, Evita, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Phantom of the Opera... c'mon now! I was SO glad to see that play. I think I saw the "C" touring group, but the music was the music.

EDIT to add: I just looked up Ted Neeley and saw that in the time he played the lead in that play he performed that show 1700 times! That means he sang at THAT level 1700 times over about 8 years. Truly outstanding singer. Now I have to find that CD and listen to it again. I have it one one of the 9 binders of CDs I have here. Each holds 50,so... I'll find it in 2 hours or so. LOL

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/10/23 08:16 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Oh dang, choosing the best is gonna be tough!

I'd have to include all of the following in my short list!

'More Than Words' - Extreme

'Lady' - Styx

'Kiss From A Rose' - Seal

'I Want To Know What Love Is' - Foreigner

'I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing' - Aerosmith

BUT, in the final analysis, I think we all have to agree that 'Free Bird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd is the best rock power ballad ever!

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Beyond the Realms of Death - Judas Priest

Fade to Black - Metallica

One - Metallica

Dreamer Deceiver/ Deceiver - Judas Priest

Hallowed be Thy Name - Iron Maiden

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All really good choices there! I was tempted to go with "The Spirit Carries On" because I am a large, huge, extreme Dream Theater guy, but Benny was born in Cleveland and was a Vietnam Veteran, so he got the nod. AND Into The Night is an amazing song done by an amazing singer. It was revived in 1989 when a DJ ran it in a "Where Are They Now?" kind of spot and it caught on a second time. The original in 1980 went as high as #11, and the rebirth in 1989 saw it go to #20. He had another great ballad a few years later titled How Could You Love Me, but but he was really a niche kind of artist that was never a major playa as far as top tier recognition and most people never heard of that second song. Felt a loss when he died in 2020.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, a lot of great songs are being put forth. There are so many looking back.

Originally Posted by eddie1261
I believe, and have for decades, that this is the best rock power ballad ever. To do it Steven Crowder style, "Change my mind."

This is a song I have really loved the sound of. I like the groove, the instrumentation, and is emotional voice on this REALLY delivers in my opinion. I will say the lyrics (you may have been waiting for this comment) just don't sit well with me.

She's just 16 years old, leave her alone, they said
And of course it continues.

That being said he has tried to explain this away a good number of times. Personally, I just wasn't convinced. I think where I grapple with it is he does seem like a ok person from what I've seen. Maybe he didn't mean any of it in a bad way; yet that doesn't mean it wasn't inappropriate. I've even considered the times. Elvis/Pricilla, Jerry Lee Lewis/Myra Brown (big YIKES on this one) which were a little before obviously. Ultimately, he knows his intention, I don't. I have a tendency of taking people at their word until they prove me wrong. But, can I just say, it still feels uncomfortable? Even with it being a co-write.

Anyway, in case it's getting lost in all of this, I do still love hearing the song. His voice was incredible. I wouldn't turn it off if it came on and do have it on a few playlists. But I would be lying if that that age issue didn't also go through my mind as well.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by HearToLearn
Wow, a lot of great songs are being put forth. There are so many looking back.

This is a song I have really loved the sound of. I like the groove, the instrumentation, and is emotional voice on this REALLY delivers in my opinion. I will say the lyrics (you may have been waiting for this comment) just don't sit well with me.

She's just 16 years old, leave her alone, they said
And of course it continues.

That being said he has tried to explain this away a good number of times. Personally, I just wasn't convinced. I think where I grapple with it is he does seem like a ok person from what I've seen. Maybe he didn't mean any of it in a bad way; yet that doesn't mean it wasn't inappropriate. I've even considered the times. Elvis/Pricilla, Jerry Lee Lewis/Myra Brown (big YIKES on this one) which were a little before obviously. Ultimately, he knows his intention, I don't. I have a tendency of taking people at their word until they prove me wrong. But, can I just say, it still feels uncomfortable? Even with it being a co-write.

Anyway, in case it's getting lost in all of this, I do still love hearing the song. His voice was incredible. I wouldn't turn it off if it came on and do have it on a few playlists. But I would be lying if that that age issue didn't also go through my mind as well.

Well the person singing it is not the person in the lyrics. Most of the time they tell a story and invent the "characters" of that story. Maybe he is 17 or 18 and still in high school and she is 16 also in high school. Who knows, I don't usually equate lyrics to the personality of the singer or even the song writer.

Ringo Starr and others" You're sixteen, You're beautiful and you're mine.

Written By the Sherman Brothers of Disney fame. None of them or anyone who sang it was even close to 16. Is it kind of creepy, yes, but is it wrong, well not really. As I say you can't really put the singer into the song as the protagonist although most people do.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I know from the Showcase forum that most of you are way older than me, so this song might be a bit too modern for you guys.
But there's a consensus that by far the best love song ever is THIS ONE!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Remember folks, the original question was "rock power ballad". I mean, showtunes ? JC Superstar wasn't exactly done by a rock band.

@HearToLearn: The one phrase DOES say you quoted, but also "Leave her alone they said..." Then the lyrics continue with "I would wait 'til the end of time for you", meaning in my mind "Damn. She's only 16 so I have to wait."

Just like how the libs put their spin to the phrase "What did you put in that drink" in "Baby It's Cold Outside" and got it banned from the radio, isn't it possible that the composers meant (IN 1944!!!) "I was expecting ginger ale. Did you put some whiskey in there too?" The feminists would add "You are trying to get her drunk so you can take advantage of her!"

Norwegian Wood: "I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me." Talking about promiscuous sex, are we?? Take it off the air!!

You could find something objectionable in most songs if you look for a phrase to take out of context and twist it enough ways to distort it to fit an agenda, agreed? I wonder what the feminazis would say about "I'm just a gigolo, and everywhere I go, people know the part I'm playing. Disgusting man taking advantage of lonely women with money! That's sexual harassment!" You're 16 was mentioned. That song takes of different perspective if the guy singing it is 16 or 46. And it was released in 1960. Remember when Tipper Gore and her evil lyric militia claimed to hear the words "Do it" in backward masking of a breath on a Judas Priest album and first made the allegation that "do it" meant "Kill yourself"? And that so influential was that band that some kid killed himself, apparently joining Tipper in her allegation of how to interpret "do it". (Amazing how the public turn into sheep when political bias is introduced into anything.)

But opinions are opinions and I respect yours!

Again, "rock power ballad". Like Meatloaf singing Diane Warren's "I'd Lie For You And That's The Truth." Rock bands doing ballads.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by etcjoe
Well the person singing it is not the person in the lyrics. Most of the time they tell a story and invent the "characters" of that story. Maybe he is 17 or 18 and still in high school and she is 16 also in high school. Who knows, I don't usually equate lyrics to the personality of the singer or even the song writer.

Written By the Sherman Brothers of Disney fame. None of them or anyone who sang it was even close to 16. Is it kind of creepy, yes, but is it wrong, well not really. As I say you can't really put the singer into the song as the protagonist although most people do.

@HearToLearn: The one phrase DOES say you quoted, but also "Leave her alone they said..." Then the lyrics continue with "I would wait 'til the end of time for you", meaning in my mind "Damn. She's only 16 so I have to wait."

Just like how the libs put their spin to the phrase "What did you put in that drink" in "Baby It's Cold Outside" and got it banned from the radio, isn't it possible that the composers meant (IN 1944!!!) "I was expecting ginger ale. Did you put some whiskey in there too?" The feminists would add "You are trying to get her drunk so you can take advantage of her!"

Norwegian Wood: "I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me." Talking about promiscuous sex, are we?? Take it off the air!!

You could find something objectionable in most songs if you look for a phrase to take out of context and twist it enough ways to distort it to fit an agenda, agreed? I wonder what the feminazis would say about "I'm just a gigolo, and everywhere I go, people know the part I'm playing. Disgusting man taking advantage of lonely women with money! That's sexual harassment!" You're 16 was mentioned. That song takes of different perspective if the guy singing it is 16 or 46. And it was released in 1960. Remember when Tipper Gore and her evil lyric militia claimed to hear the words "Do it" in backward masking of a breath on a Judas Priest album and first made the allegation that "do it" meant "Kill yourself"? And that so influential was that band that some kid killed himself, apparently joining Tipper in her allegation of how to interpret "do it". (Amazing how the public turn into sheep when political bias is introduced into anything.)

I understand the concept of being a character, or maybe this was someone thinking back to a time when they themselves were younger.
But he was 33 when he wrote this. Ok, maybe still the character thing...but creepy. BUT that wasn't the case. I've heard him tell this story different ways, which is why I'm not sure what to think. One time someone else, the co-writer, made the comment that is the opening line. Another time, I heard it was just a comment he made to the co-writer. In both cases, it was a girl who was 16 who walked into the room they were in wearing a mini-skirt. One said something to the effect of "wow!" the other said the opening line. In either case, one had to tell they other one to leave her alone. In my opinion, pretty damn creepy.

BUT, what made me more uncomfortable, and I think is a bit more of an eye opener, is the video. He decided to play the part of the person who is pursuing this young girl. Again, he was 33 or maybe 34 in the video. The girl, I don't think was 16 but may have been, but she's playing the part of of the 16 year old. In his interviews, I've also heard him say that it was more about this poor girl he lived by that he just wished he could help. Ok, so maybe I'm still wrong. Believe me I wanted to be. But in the end of the video he starts making out with the girl. So...Pretty damning in my opinion.

In a later interview he said he felt the lyrics were inappropriate and ended up re-recording the song with her being, I believe, 21. But I could be wrong on the age. Something close to that though.

Still think the SOUND of the song is incredible. His vocal is crazy great.

Just my opinion. Not trying to be politically correct. I have 4 daughters, so take that with a grain of salt...in a shotgun. laugh Seriously, I'm not trying to make it more than it is. Just saying what does bother me a bit though. As far as I know, none of it happened so, there ya go.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
I know from the Showcase forum that most of you are way older than me, so this song might be a bit too modern for you guys.
But there's a consensus that by far the best love song ever is THIS ONE!

FWIW - my guitarist friend, BobH, sang this to is bride at their wedding. Bob and I have played this many times.

I sang More to my bride on our wedding day:

This

So that is my best love song as I sang it 56 years ago.

Last edited by MarioD; 11/13/23 05:12 PM.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't hear the Benny song as a power ballad...just a bad pop ballad.
Perhaps a consensus on what constitutes a "power ballad" would help.
I'm no help as I'm not a fan of power ballads in the 1st instances.
Love songs aren't all power ballads while power ballads are love songs.

"Just like how the libs put their spin to the phrase..."
Ah, there we have it.
Lots of songs were about sexual conquest, lots of songs were about child women.
Lots of people now understand that those things are, to put it mildly, objectionable.
Lots of those songs are still fab songs because I, for one, can accept context and culture but there are exceptions.
Lots of people say "libs" without really knowing what it means, not wanting to put too tight a label on it which would limit its usefulness as a blunt object.
Woke folk are folk who woke up and recognize things in original and modern contexts. It's another term that has had a definition blunted by its repurposing as a weapon.
Awareness began A LONG TIME AGO when folk started treating each other rather better, with less racial, cultural, class and economic abuse/disdain/humiliation etc.
It was revived in the mid 70s...

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
Perhaps a consensus on what constitutes a "power ballad" would help.

Key point. Apparently some folks don't know what I meant or what the term means.

Bon Jovi "I'll Be There For You"
Meatloaf "I Would Do Anything For Love", "I'd Lie For You And That's The Truth", and usually 2 per album because that's what Steinman wrote for him.
Def Leppard "Love Bites"

I didn't say "ballads." I said "ROCK ballads." Rock bands doing ballads, not Andrew Lloyd Webber scores of Broadway musicals.

Consider when Meatloaf did the Jim Steinman penned "Read 'Em And Weep." Before Barry Manilow's sequins laden "Vegas-ed" version turned into a total wuss-fest. Meatloaf's original had testosterone. Manilow's cover had estrogen.

That's what the post was about. Driving, distorted guitars and loud drums.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I think I completely understand the task at hand.

To me one of the best timeless power ballad is "If" by the band Bread. It's beautifully done in so many different ways. It has such a gentle delivery that it would be hard to think this wouldn't be the number one power ballad of all time!

Now I have to wonder if you thought I was serious? Ok, some real contenders? There are SO many from that time.

Heaven - Bryan Adams.
Angle eyes - Steelheart
Close My Eyes Forever" - Lita Ford And Ozzy
I remember you - Skid Row
Faithfully - Journey (Although I think Why Can't this Night Go On Forever" is even stronger. Love the ending vocals)
Fly to the Angels - Slaughter
Winds of Change - Scorpions
Don't know what you got - Cinderella
Alone - Heart
High Enough - Damn Yankess

Just naming a few. As I said, there are many great power ballads from that era. I was lucky enough to grow up in it. Pick a band, go to track 4 and there it is.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 11/14/23 12:13 PM.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

I understand the concept of being a character, or maybe this was someone thinking back to a time when they themselves were younger.
But he was 33 when he wrote this. Ok, maybe still the character thing...but creepy. BUT that wasn't the case. I've heard him tell this story different ways, which is why I'm not sure what to think. One time someone else, the co-writer, made the comment that is the opening line. Another time, I heard it was just a comment he made to the co-writer. In both cases, it was a girl who was 16 who walked into the room they were in wearing a mini-skirt. One said something to the effect of "wow!" the other said the opening line. In either case, one had to tell they other one to leave her alone. In my opinion, pretty damn creepy.

BUT, what made me more uncomfortable, and I think is a bit more of an eye opener, is the video. He decided to play the part of the person who is pursuing this young girl. Again, he was 33 or maybe 34 in the video. The girl, I don't think was 16 but may have been, but she's playing the part of of the 16 year old. In his interviews, I've also heard him say that it was more about this poor girl he lived by that he just wished he could help. Ok, so maybe I'm still wrong. Believe me I wanted to be. But in the end of the video he starts making out with the girl. So...Pretty damning in my opinion.

In a later interview he said he felt the lyrics were inappropriate and ended up re-recording the song with her being, I believe, 21. But I could be wrong on the age. Something close to that though.

Still think the SOUND of the song is incredible. His vocal is crazy great.

Just my opinion. Not trying to be politically correct. I have 4 daughters, so take that with a grain of salt...in a shotgun. laugh Seriously, I'm not trying to make it more than it is. Just saying what does bother me a bit though. As far as I know, none of it happened so, there ya go.

I am certainly no prude and there are some creepy songs out there. My wife and I have a category of songs we call stalker songs. There is someone, walking behind you, turn around, look its me. I mean really.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am certainly no prude and there are some creepy songs out there. My wife and I have a category of songs we call stalker songs. There is someone, walking behind you, turn around, look its me. I mean really.

Is "Every Breath You Take" in there? THAT was literally a stalking song.

On a similar but dissimilar topic, did you ever listen to the lyrics in Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" closely? I was working with a band fronted by a girl who wanted to do that song. I refused to be part of it because it praises the act of domestic violence of the character ruining a guy's car with a baseball bat because he cheated. The way you handle cheating is leaving the situation, not violence. The debate got heated, and I ended up leaving the band before I would be part of promoting domestic violence by playing that song. Those lyrics don't just tell the story, they actually validate the act. I am not going to send a message like that. I will also never be part of performing "Cocaine". I also used to leave the stage when an old band of mine did that "Rodeo Song" that said "It's 40 below and I don't give a **** got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo". I will not use that kind of profanity on stage. That song was an affront to my musical integrity. A band should never have to pander to the lowest common denominator of the audience that way. I will also never play anything by Michael Jackson, again because I won't pay homage to someone of such questionable character.

Back to topic, Chad, good list. From one generation younger than mine, but a good list. Sometimes I am happy to be old, sometimes not so much.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think it was the libs who put their spin on the phrase "What did you put in that drink" - it was the people who drugged and raped people.

That's the kind of thing that can take the fun out of anything.

The writers certainly did not mean ginger ale. That's why she sings "just half a drink more":

But maybe just a half a drink more
   I'll put some records on while I pour

The singer is saying the drink is stronger than she expected, and that she find that suddenly she's "in some crazy spell", but finds she can't seem to say "no, no, no" like she knows she should:

Say what's in this drink?
   I seem to be in
   Some crazy spell
   I ought to say "No, no, no sir"
   At least I'm gonna say that I tried

Now, I think this is a really well written lyric. The phrase "crazy spell" makes it clear that it's not the alcohol that's what's making her feel that way. And her reluctance to leave is made even more clear by "At least I'm gonna say that I tried".

Still, it's enough to make me a uncomfortable, because it's awfully close to something that isn't funny.

I'm reminded of a co-worker used to work in an institution. He couldn't stand to watch pratfalls and other sorts of physical comedy, because the real damage this would cause was all too real to him.

Similarly, the song is intended as a playful back-and-forth, but time changes how we respond to someone who won't take "No" for an answer.

I simply must go (Baby, it's cold outside)
   The answer is, "No" (But, baby, it's cold outside)
   Your welcome has been (So lucky that you dropped in)
   So nice and warm

I'd say that what that means now is different than what it means then. But for some people, it was never different.

The song was eventually used in the film "Neptune's Daughter" - twice. When the song is used a second time, the genders of the singers are swapped, and the female singer is much more aggressive, eventually pinning the guy on the couch. Of course, it's played for laughs, but had it been the other way around it wouldn't have been acceptable - even in the 1940s:

Welp, I guess you got an opinion.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by dcuny
I don't think it was the libs who put their spin on the phrase "What did you put in that drink" - it was the people who drugged and raped people.
Thank you.

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
On a similar but dissimilar topic, did you ever listen to the lyrics in Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" closely? I was working with a band fronted by a girl who wanted to do that song. I refused to be part of it because it praises the act of domestic violence of the character ruining a guy's car with a baseball bat because he cheated. The way you handle cheating is leaving the situation, not violence. The debate got heated, and I ended up leaving the band before I would be part of promoting domestic violence by playing that song. Those lyrics don't just tell the story, they actually validate the act. I am not going to send a message like that....

You know...

Tracy Lauren Marrow (Ice T) never really advocated the murder of police officers.

Jus' sayin'.

Last edited by Byron Dickens; 11/15/23 10:37 AM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Is "Every Breath You Take" in there? THAT was literally a stalking song.

Absolutely is. There are many of them.

As to the topic. How about Every Rose Has It's Thorn? Definitely a Rock Ballad.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You guys are killin me with this spin...

How about Johnny Cash's "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die":... Not a very pretty picture there.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by MusicStudent
Just curious what you mean by spin?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just curious what you mean by spin?

Thread drift, what did you think I meant?

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Yeah. Johnny Cash certainly had his issues but he never shot anyone in Reno or anywhere else for that matter.

Byron Dickens

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Good grief Charlie Brown...they are fictional songs!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thread drift, what did you think I meant?

The term spin can mean different things. I want sure what you meant, so tight I would ask to clarify.

Fwiw, I wouldn't have guessed you meant that drift, so I'm glad I asked 🙂

I was the one that probably created the drift in response to the song Eddie/the OP mentioned. I like the song just wasn't a fan of the specifics of how it came about. That comment took on a life of it's own.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 11/15/23 06:37 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
Good grief Charlie Brown...they are fictional songs!
Mostly, yes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How about Johnny Cash's "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die":... Not a very pretty picture there.
Yep, and it ignores the part about objecting to songs that advocate violence.

According to Cash, this is how he came up with the line:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Cash recounted how he came up with the line "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die": "I sat with my pen in my hand, trying to think up the worst reason a person could have for killing another person, and that's what came to mind."

You could argue that the cheering prisoners after Cash sang that line were advocating violence, but that didn't actually happen:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to Michael Streissguth, the cheering from the audience following the line "But I shot a man in Reno / just to watch him die" was added in post-production. According to a special feature on the DVD release of the 2005 biopic Walk the Line, the prisoners avoided cheering at any of Cash's comments about the prison itself, fearing reprisal from guards.

Since I'm deep into trivial I'll note that Cash didn't write the opening lines of the song, the melody of the song, and a quite a number of other lines. They were lifted from Gordon Jenkin's Crescent City Blues. That ended up costing Cash $75,000 in payment to Jenkins. Mind you, Cash never really claimed he wrote it:
Originally Posted by faroutmagazine.co.uk
So, how did this very liberal appropriation come to pass? Well, Cash was rattling off some tunes in an audition/recording session when Sun Records founder Sam Phillips thought his ears had just detected a hit. Cash promptly informed him that he had merely tweaked a track from 1953, and Phillips assured him that a ‘tweak’ was enough.

Cash later honestly stated: “At the time, I really had no idea I would be a professional recording artist; I wasn’t trying to rip anybody off.” His stance was simply that he had essentially upscaled an old cover like an endless stream of folk artists in every bar ever.

But back to power ballads... Does Harry Nilsson's "Without You" count? Because that song is awesome.

Whaddya mean "It's not rock?" wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The spin , really, came when Eddie made his comment about "libs"...he span the topic from power ballad to lib/woke/cancel culture. Before that it was a vague drift into a song's underlying narrative. A few people, myself included, responded as is appropriate.
Nilsson's Without You is, I would argue, a power ballad though the power comes from strings & his wonderful voice. It ought to have been a power ballad when Badfinger 1st recorded it but they seemed to have seen it "just a ballad" and their version is rather bland & lacks dynamics. Dynamics - the power of a power ballad?
Creepy ,(power), ballads n pop:
Chicago
The Union gap - Young Girl
Nominally Sonny Boy Williamson - Good Morning Little School Girl.
Neil Sadaka - Happy Birthday sweet sixteen
The Knack - My Sharona
Dragon - Are You Old Enough?
Dave Edmunds - Not A Woman Not A Child.
etc.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
The spin , really, came when Eddie made his comment about "libs"...he span the topic from power ballad to lib/woke/cancel culture. Before that it was a vague drift into a song's underlying narrative. A few people, myself included, responded as is appropriate.
That's more what I was thinking when the term "spin" was used. I was just looking to clarify. Apparently that wasn't the intent. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have guessed the meaning to be what it was.

Nilsson's Without You is, I would argue, a power ballad though the power comes from strings & his wonderful voice. It ought to have been a power ballad when Badfinger 1st recorded it but they seemed to have seen it "just a ballad" and their version is rather bland & lacks dynamics. Dynamics - the power of a power ballad?
Another version of this song that I enjoy is Mariah Carey's. If you haven't heard it, give it a listen. I would be curious your take. smile

Creepy ,(power), ballads n pop:
Chicago
The Union gap - Young Girl
Nominally Sonny Boy Williamson - Good Morning Little School Girl.
Neil Sadaka - Happy Birthday sweet sixteen
The Knack - My Sharona
Dragon - Are You Old Enough?
Dave Edmunds - Not A Woman Not A Child.
etc.
Agreed these border on that. For me, I'm not familiar with the stories behind them. I can't overly comment without context...and I'm not thinking I will research it that much. It's not the 16 part of it that ever bothers me, as long as it's made up and has a decent meaning to it. With Benny, it was specifically his age and the age of an ACTUAL person he wrote it about being 16.
It's kind of like for me, ok you wrote a song about some made up 16 year old and you're in your thirties. A little creepy, but whatever.
A different guy in his 30's has a short conversation with a 16 year old girl in a miniskirt named Heidi. You are actually told to leave her alone. None of that made up. Then he decides to write a song about his experience to send a message to her. Higher creepy level for me. MUCH higher. All my opinion. I do take into account it was different times as well. I truly try not to overly judge people of a time by today's standards.

Thanks for your contributions to the thread Ray. Always insightful and appreciated! smile Since this is online, I want to be clear that I'm not being sarcastic. smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,641
Posts735,372
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 100
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.