Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#788545 12/12/23 01:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Longing For The Lotus

I've always loved traditional Asian music, particularly Japanese and Chinese. To me, it always sounds very emotional. So, I thought I'd try out BIAB's new Chinese RTs, and this is what I came up with. I tried to keep it as true as possible to the traditional style, with just the few instrument choices available. I did use a barely audible drum track from BIAB. The Dream.STY was the closest style I could find for a starting point. I removed everything, other than the drum track and bass line, and replaced the removed tracks with the ones annotated below.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy this style. BIAB opens so many musical doors that I would never have thought to compose in. Is this marvelous software - or what? I voter for marvelous.

The Lotus is a floating flower that's held in special esteem in China, particularly in Southeast China. They believe it holds the secrets to rebirth and aspiration.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alan

File:Longing For The Lotus.SGU

Key=C , Tempo 70, Length (m:s)=2:58

Style is _DREAMT.STY (Dreamt Country Folk Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 3121:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 4567:Dizi Flute, Background CalmingMelodic ev 065
RealTracks in song: 4566:Guzheng, Background CalmingMelodic ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 4381:Erhu, Background SimplePentatonic Ev 060
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 4688:Synth, Pad, SynthmasterDistantGalaxy
RealDrums in style:NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
Taiko drum (the very deep sound at the beginning of most measures) is part of the Synthmaster Distant Galaxy Pad

Last edited by Al-David; 12/12/23 01:14 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan,

Beautiful, contemplative and mysterious... A really superb piece of music. Love this blend of tracks.

This mix is great - everything has it's space and works perfectly together.

Excellent!

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Alan, this sounds VERY cool! I know nothing about this style of Asian music except that I like it. Am looking forward to exploring these and other new world RealTracks when 2024 arrives...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
Alan,

Beautiful, contemplative and mysterious... A really superb piece of music. Love this blend of tracks.

This mix is great - everything has it's space and works perfectly together.

Excellent!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much! In my opinion, many of the Asian slower songs have somewhat of a mysterious sound. And I love it! I'm delighted you enjoyerd your listen.

Merry Christmas,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Alan, this sounds VERY cool! I know nothing about this style of Asian music except that I like it. Am looking forward to exploring these and other new world RealTracks when 2024 arrives...

HI Ron,

Thanks for dropping in for a listen. I've been exposed to a fair amount of Asian music. But I I didn't have any technical knowledge about it. I just knew that it appealed to me.

Before I wrote this one, and another one I'll post later, I did 6 or 8 hours of research and actually learned a little bit about it. It's usually in the pentatonic scale. Interestingly, I learned that Asian music typically has no chord pattern as chords aren't acknowledged - just wherever the song melody leads, irrespective of linear pattern. That's not true of most modern Asian music but holds true for nearly 100& of traditional music.

If you've not listened to them, you might want to check out The Waggaki Band from Japan. They take traditional Japanese music - and poems - and give them a modern treatment, usually a Jazz-Rock makeover. They're a great band, in my opinion. If interested, here are a couple of links to their music:

(Synchronicity)
(Doppo)
3. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/wagakki-band-homura-akatsuki-no-ito-1st-japan-tour-2015-hibiya-yagai-ongakudo-youtube--312718767880466952/

That last one is pretty wild - there are two songs. the guitar player (Machya) is mind-blowing!

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the visit and kind words.

Merry Christmas,

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan!! I'm freaking out. Seems Soundcloud is done --get a 502 error. I'll be back. Couldn't find it on your website either. I'm intriqgues by the title and the comments.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Always cool to see folks doing new stuff.
Sounds to these Western ears that you did a good job with the new instruments.

The Erhu becomes tiring to me ear after a while. But that might be because it's not a sound or style that I would listen to.
(I actually have 2 Erhus that my wife carried back from a trip to China - decades ago. They hang on my wall. I've never even Tried to play them. I had to look up the instruments in your list to even know they were called that)

Mix is good. Of course.
And, as always, your instrumental has good structure.

Okay...let's see you use all those new Metal tracks for an instrumental!
smile

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Alan!! I'm freaking out. Seems Soundcloud is done --get a 502 error. I'll be back. Couldn't find it on your website either. I'm intriqgues by the title and the comments.

HI Marty,

I just clicked the link, and it took me to the song. If you would, please try again and let me know what happens.

Also, I should be done with your book in the next few days. I've been slow reading it, but it won't be long until the last chapter.

Let me know about the link.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As a teenager most figured I'm just the weird kid because i had albums like this. Well, okay, those albums weren't as good as this, but it was all that was available before the stoner age. I found it the best style to tell a story, and you've written a very intriguing story with this one, Alan. Man, this is such a delight. I didn't notice this style in Biab, but you are absoluetly right about how much fun it is to compose so easily in so many different music rooms with this program. I'll use the word ineffable when describing the BiaB experience.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Alan, thanks for the detailed notes on your research and supporting links! Will certainly check that out...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Always cool to see folks doing new stuff.
Sounds to these Western ears that you did a good job with the new instruments.

The Erhu becomes tiring to me ear after a while. But that might be because it's not a sound or style that I would listen to.
(I actually have 2 Erhus that my wife carried back from a trip to China - decades ago. They hang on my wall. I've never even Tried to play them. I had to look up the instruments in your list to even know they were called that)

Mix is good. Of course.
And, as always, your instrumental has good structure.

Okay...let's see you use all those new Metal tracks for an instrumental!
smile

fj

HI Floyd,

Well, as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea! But i appreciate you listening anyway and the nice comments.

You have 2 Erhus? I don't think I've ever heard someone say that before!

The only place I've been to in China is Hong Kong - when the British still administered it. I wouldn't mind visiting the interior sometime. I'd better hurry, though - I'm getting pretty old!

The new metal tracks, huh? I'll take that as a challenge. It's not a favored genre for me, but I'll work on it and see what happens.

Best to you.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
As a teenager most figured I'm just the weird kid because i had albums like this. Well, okay, those albums weren't as good as this, but it was all that was available before the stoner age. I found it the best style to tell a story, and you've written a very intriguing story with this one, Alan. Man, this is such a delight. I didn't notice this style in Biab, but you are absoluetly right about how much fun it is to compose so easily in so many different music rooms with this program. I'll use the word ineffable when describing the BiaB experience.

Hey Marty,

Thanks for the 2nd effort - glad it worked this time!

You are much too kind with your words, and I appreciate it very much! And yes,most traditional asian music is based on folklore, handed-down stories, centuries-old poems, etc - all of which have a story.

And yeah - BIAB is pretty coll!

Many thanks, my friend. I wish you everything good.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Alan, thanks for the detailed notes on your research and supporting links! Will certainly check that out...

You are welcome! Hope you enjoy the music they lead you to.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan.

This is excellent listening. Really excellent. I love what you've created.
Right now, I'm sitting here thinking about how it's so inspiring to be presented new ideas like these ones of yours.
Thank you for those video clips, too smile
Over the last few years, I've watched many Chinese drama series and I love the music.
The pentatonic scale has a distinctly oriental flavour. Especially when when used in it's minor form.
As the video below shows, it's easy to hear a pentatonic scale because it sounds quite unique.
You've inspired me to try my hand at using it.

I thought you might like having a listen to the music below. It has both classical and modern elements (in vocals and instruments) and is distinctly Chinese.

Painted Heart (from Love in Flames of War)

Thank you for the listening joy that this song of yours brought my way!
--Noel

P.S. I wish you and Di the very best for Christmas and New Year.

Last edited by Noel96; 12/16/23 07:57 PM. Reason: typos

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel ...

Thank you so much for those encouraging and thoughtful comments. Your comments always give me additional inspiration to keep on going with my music creation. The music keeps me going when the going isn't all that smooth. For that, I'll always be grateful.

I don't know many of the technical aspects of music creation. I have a good ability to make things work - at least I think I do - without knowing all the hows and whys. I just indigenously know they work. I don't appreciably read or write notation. When I go over to the other forums in which the technical aspects of the music arena is under discussion, I am almost always completely lost - literally have no idea what is being written about. I guess I find enough satisfaction in my efforts because of something my grandfather once told me: I rather be able to do and not be able to explain it than to be able to explain without being able to do it.

I listened to and watched the link you provided. That was pretty awesome for me! the vocalist had such a pure voice. And the melding of the old and new was perfectly executed. I have already created another tune using those same instruments as i used with this one - but with relatively full orchestration' I'll be posting it in a week or two. If interested, here's a preview:

https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/whispering-asia

I'm glad you enjoyed the link to The Waggaki Band. I've been following them for about three years.

Again, thank you so much.. Wishing you and yours the best Christmas ever.

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good!

Of course, "Longing for the Lotus" has a drug meaning, as the blue lotus has mind altering effects, and the Homer's lotus eaters were in a "state of dreamy forgetfulness and idleness as a result of eating the fruit of the lotus plant."

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great venture into what is assuredly for us the unknown!

So many adjectives ... moody, sublime, mysterious, contemplative and more.

Nicely mixed and an adventure for you and your listeners.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Al-David
I have already created another tune using those same instruments as i used with this one - but with relatively full orchestration' I'll be posting it in a week or two. If interested, here's a preview:

https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/whispering-asia

Alan

My gosh, Alan. "Whispering Asia" is beautiful. It's really well-crafted and was the perfect start to my Sunday here in Australia.
You've got quite a knack for using these instruments.

I don't know if it interests you, but I recently posted a video clip of a medley from the Phantom Of The Opera that uses classical Chinese instruments (with a hint of western orchestral backing here and there). If you are feeling adventurous and would like to listen to it, the link to the "Best of Youtube" post here on the PG Forums is below...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=789461#Post789461

Thank you for sharing your latest creation before it's official release!

All the best to you and Di!
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Fantastic!!!! Sounds like a movie score!!! The solo track is panned left. I think it could be center, a bit quieter and a bit wetter.....just a thought. The composition is gorgeous!!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Always pleasure to hear that there are new BIAB world instruments and how they are used in your capable hands. Mesmerising mood, a very good counterweight to contemporary pop songs. This and your another one Whispering Asia are great introduction to these RTs and I hope to hear more this kind of songs from you and other forum members, hopefully inspiring also myself (although I probably wouldn't/couldn't use those RTs in a traditional way like you have excelled).

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173