Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I'm on 2024 (1109) for Windows.

I've been trying to intersperse two multi styles, both using silence tracks, for verse, chorus and bridge contrast. I have the original chorus unfolded so I could add the bridge section.

I am going back and forth between the two style for intro and verse to chorus and bridge. When I check F5 bar settings the selected styles are showing as intended, but .... the song styles are not changing as directed. Some times they do and sometimes they don't. Upon regeneration I get unpredictable results as far as when the styles change.

I've been wondering if the silence tracks are somehow gumming up the works.

Any advice other than stemming out both versions and assembling in a DAW?

Thanks.

Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!
Expert
Expert
Multistyle is practically incompatible with regeneration, Daw option required.

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Veteran
Veteran
"Any advice other than stemming out both versions and assembling in a DAW?"
This will also name all the instruments in the waveform so you can see what is where.
Open SGU in Reaper
Forget About Dragging Tracks !

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I've been wondering if the silence tracks are somehow gumming up the works. >>
No. BIAB recognizes silence to be the same as any RealTrack. That's it's purpose.

<< Multistyle is practically incompatible with regeneration, Daw option required. >>
Also no. My version has 11,165 styles and within that total, 1,014 are PG Music MultiStyles composed from both MIDI and RealTracks. Any Style can be converted into a User MultiStyle in either a single song use, or as a custom MultiStyle for use in any project. PG Music uses MultiStyles and RT1152:Silence a lot in their Demos. MultiStyles have existed in BIAB before RealTracks were introduced to the program. Possible a style or track has gotten corrupted but doubtful of an incompatibility with the program of either feature.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
To reiterate, I'm talking about using two different Multi Styles in the same song. I've attempted this 3 or 4 times. One style has 8 parts and the other 6. I only use the first 6 so that when I use bar settings to change from one Multi Style to another the a, b, c, etc. parts will be compatible.

The part markers are not working to change the style.

The reason I mention Silence tracks is my understanding, thanks to you, Charlie, is that silence tracks are used to switch instrumentation for the different parts in a Multi Style. That's why I thought it might be possible that silence tracks from different multi styles might be incompatible with one another and the cause of improper style change and regeneration issues.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
There are several ways to accomplish this. To test - I created an SGU song using MultiStyles Rainin + and Trepid +.

The method I use is to define substyles by Right Clicking on a Part Marker to open a drop down menu. Define Substyles will assign substyle letters and add them to the existing Style whether it's a normal substyle or a MultiStyle like Rainin + is in the test I created. The second MultiStyle only adds the a and b substyles of the second MultiStyle initially. As you see in the attached screen shot that even though I used instruments from a MultiStyle, the current SGU used the Style and first two substyles. Continue to define more Substyles to add other instruments or styles.

Although that's the case in my example, an SGU file can have as many as 24 substyles so I could continue to add/remove or silence many more instruments changing both styles and instruments as desired.

RT1152:Silence can be used as either a mute or a placeholder in a MultiStyle according to how the MultiStyle is arranged.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Rainin and Trepid MultiStyles.jpg (279.39 KB, 141 downloads)
Define Styles.jpg (49.94 KB, 133 downloads)
Styles Part Marker Layout.jpg (256.28 KB, 133 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/18/24 12:45 PM. Reason: Images added

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
So I think what you are explaining Charlie is that changing style via Bar Settings (F5) does not carry the styles part setting with it. In other words, what was initially a or b won't be changed to the a or b of the new style.

Does this then mean that you can't have both a and/or b etc. parts from each style in the same SGU file?

If so, then it looks like Muso's suggestion to just use the DAW plugin with two (or more) style versions of the same song in the DAW and arrange from there is the way to go.

Thanks for your help.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< So I think what you are explaining Charlie is that changing style via Bar Settings (F5) does not carry the styles part setting with it. In other words, what was initially a or b won't be changed to the a or b of the new style. >>
Yes it can contain the various style parts. A MultiStyle is notated by the + sign. A MultiStyle + will be composed of several single/normal styles that are compiled into the MultiStyle.
So -
MDWEST + Multistyle contains the following styles
MDWEST1 will have -a- and -b- substyles
MDWEST2 will have -a- and -b- substyles
MDWEST3 will have -a- and -b- substyles
Using F5 Bar Settings or the Part Markers Define Style option the user will select the different a or b substyles from any of the numbered MultiStyle's Sub Styles it's composed of. The a and b parts of each numbered substyle can't be mixed with other numbered substyles. Each numbered substyle remains part of that particular numbered style.

Numbered styles can be used as stand alone styles as well as being part of the MDWEST+ style. They can also be included into any custom style a user compiles.

Each of the numbered substyles can have different instruments replace instruments of other numbered styles and styles can replace instruments with RT1152:Silence to mute that instrument by changing Part Markers in the main SGU. For instance, MDWEST1 has all the instruments of MDWEST+. MDWEST2 replaces the bass and Pedal steel with RT1152 and MDWEST3 replaces RT1152 and returns the Bass and also replaces a background pedal steel with a soloist pedal steel. These arrangements can be placed in any order and at any time in the Main SGU by changing Part Markers.

Once in the main SGU song file, then they can be mixed because they are defined by a new substyle letter. The Part Markers in the main SGU file can be configured to any combination the user selects. In the main SGU file, adding MDWEST1, 2 or 3 the -a- and -b- substyles will have new letters assigned in the Main SGU program. You can see this in one of the Screenshots I attached where Trepid a/b substyles were re-lettered to -g- and -h- in the main SGU song Chord Chart and the Rainin MultiStyle that uses letters a through f.

<< Does this then mean that you can't have both a and/or b etc. parts from each style in the same SGU file? >>
Not at all. you can have both a and b parts from each style as explained above in the same SGU file.

<< If so, then it looks like Muso's suggestion to just use the DAW plugin with two (or more) style versions of the same song in the DAW and arrange from there is the way to go. >>
This method works fine with the exception it's more time consuming, more complex and one loses all of the features like regeneration and rearranging the Part Markers by BIAB once files are exported out of the program into a DAW.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MDWEST+ MultiStyle.jpg (181.27 KB, 125 downloads)

D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Charlie,

I don't want to belabor this, but I'm still not getting it. In your example you are taking the breakdown of the individual styles that make up a multi style. I'm pretty sure that if you have chosen the multi style itself as opposed to the individual constituent styles, what is part a and b in the individual constituents is now a, b, c, d, e, f, g and h in the 8 part multi style +.

I getting the impression that you are regarding this as changing styles within a single multi style+ file, not two multi style + files. That is why I am thinking that as in my original example I can't use the a part from the _stunner+.sty and the a part from the _wanted+.sty in the same SGU song ... and why I said that apparently changing from one multi style + to another in the Bar Settings does not change the same part, a to a, that goes with the changed style.

What I was trying to do is use 2 multi style + and I assumed that the part instruction in the bar settings would properly select and change the a to f parts congruent with each multi style + parts.

That hasn't worked. Possibly I need to add part identifiers to the different styles and somehow designate the a from one of the styles as some other part for that song?

I'm going to forego the arm chair theoretical for now and go dig in the program again and see if I can incorporate what you've presented to a satisfactory result.

Expert
Expert
Charlie have you tried to regenerate part of a track belonging to a multistyle? My result is this, a big void: impossible to regenerate.

Sans titre.png (38.29 KB, 113 downloads)

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by DFT
Charlie,

I don't want to belabor this, but I'm still not getting it. In your example you are taking the breakdown of the individual styles that make up a multi style. I'm pretty sure that if you have chosen the multi style itself as opposed to the individual constituent styles, what is part a and b in the individual constituents is now a, b, c, d, e, f, g and h in the 8 part multi style +.

I getting the impression that you are regarding this as changing styles within a single multi style+ file, not two multi style + files. That is why I am thinking that as in my original example I can't use the a part from the _stunner+.sty and the a part from the _wanted+.sty in the same SGU song ... and why I said that apparently changing from one multi style + to another in the Bar Settings does not change the same part, a to a, that goes with the changed style.

What I was trying to do is use 2 multi style + and I assumed that the part instruction in the bar settings would properly select and change the a to f parts congruent with each multi style + parts.

That hasn't worked. Possibly I need to add part identifiers to the different styles and somehow designate the a from one of the styles as some other part for that song?

I'm going to forego the arm chair theoretical for now and go dig in the program again and see if I can incorporate what you've presented to a satisfactory result.

I'm reposting the Part Marker drop down menu from my earlier post. Note that I am using two distinctly different genres of MultiStyles, an Americana folk MultiStyle and a jazz ballad MultiStyle. Instrumentation and the actual style genre between them aren't closely related. It is obvious when the style and/or instrumentation change. I can use any of the substyles from either MultiStyle in an SGU file.

You are creating a custom song MultiStyle with the operations you're putting together. The -a- and -b- sections of the different MultiStyles you're using are selected by the sub- numbered MultiStyle you select from and those two -a- and -b- parts do not retain their original a/b lettering letters but do retain the style and instrument information and play correctly in the Main SGU file you're constructing. The letters are redefined in consecutive and accumulative alphabet order in the Main SGU song. You define Part Marker configurations by defining from the various numbered styles included in the MultiStyle you've selected. For instance choosing MDWEST2 would have instrument RT1152 rather than MDWEST1's RT1036 electric Bass. Choosing MDWEST+, MDWEST1 or MDWEST3 would use RT1036 Electric Bass.

EDIT: In the attached screenshot, Letters a through f are from the Rainin MultiStyle's numbered sub styles. Letters g and h are from the Trepid + MultiStyle and are the a and b Part Marker substyles of that MultiStyle.

Rainin-and-Trepid-MultiStyles.jpg (49.82 KB, 108 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/18/24 03:25 PM.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by MoultiPass
Charlie have you tried to regenerate part of a track belonging to a multistyle? My result is this, a big void: impossible to regenerate.
Yes. Generating and regenerating has not produced the error you're experiencing for me.

There's certainly something going wrong but it's not the fact of using MultiStyles. They've been around for decades. It needs to be reported to the developers and DFT may have also uncovered a bug affecting what DFT's attempting unless the a/b from one style is being confused that a/b from that style isn't replacing a/b from the first style. It can replace the first style's a/b but BIAB will re-letter (define in their words) them into new Part Marker letters in the Main SGU and that song file will contain both a/b parts from both styles and they are interchanged by changing Part Markers. .

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/18/24 03:30 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
"If so, then it looks like Muso's suggestion to just use the DAW plugin with two (or more) style versions of the same song in the DAW and arrange from there is the way to go."

You can use the script or the PLUGIN.
Generate New Style from Chords and Move to New Tab (Reaper)
VST 6 Multiple for more Bars (Reaper)
Regen Track Section Updating MIDI/RC (Reaper)
It's so easy, you can have the style change on the same track or another track to allow different FX and not have to automate them.
You can easily see the name of the instrument in the waveform with Write RT RD Names in items using Take Markers (Reaper) in the PLUGIN.
You don't need to worry about silence RT's as you can easily remove that section of track or mute it easy enough allowing it to be added if need be.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by musocity
"If so, then it looks like Muso's suggestion to just use the DAW plugin with two (or more) style versions of the same song in the DAW and arrange from there is the way to go."

You can use the script or the PLUGIN.
Generate New Style from Chords and Move to New Tab (Reaper)
VST 6 Multiple for more Bars (Reaper)
Regen Track Section Updating MIDI/RC (Reaper)
It's so easy, you can have the style change on the same track or another track to allow different FX and not have to automate them.
You can easily see the name of the instrument in the waveform with Write RT RD Names in items using Take Markers (Reaper) in the PLUGIN.
You don't need to worry about silence RT's as you can easily remove that section of track or mute it easy enough allowing it to be added if need be.
That's right. I intended to make the point it may be easier for someone familiar with a DAW to export like you mentioned and it's easier for them than using BIAB. Being faster and less complex isn't necessarily the best way for someone that is familiar and proficient with another program that yields the same results.

D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Muso and Charlie ...

Greatly appreciate all your input!

Unfortunately regarding scripts, I'm not a Reaper user, but I think I can accomplish essentially the same with the Plugin.

And, as my goal is only to compose/ arrange in BIAB anyway, going sooner to the DAW where I can massage tracks and add FX for the finished result I seek is not that big of a deal. I am much deeper into DAWs than I am into BIAB.

In my experience nothing does everything, but I am impressed and grateful for the strides BIAB continues to make.

Last edited by DFT; 02/18/24 06:24 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes you can do it in other DAWs with more than 1 plugin, just allow an extra bar to be cropped off in the DAW as Biab will fade the last bar and miss notes if you don't enable Ending, if you put a part marker on the last bar (that gets cropped off) you will get the pre-fill on previous bar to go into new style.
You can also offset the sync bar in the 2nd VST to start where the 1st one finishes if you want to preview before dragging all the tracks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,516
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173