~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
1533:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPushArp Ev 120
2935:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkPulse8thsFintan Ev 110
2719:Guitar, Nylon, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120
1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
3707:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm 90sAcRockArpPick Ev 120
2452:String Quartet, Rhythm PopSwingHall Sw 110
RealDrums in style:NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Master Buss: Hornet ThirtyOneMk2, Lurssen Mastering Console (Pop)
Lead Vocal: SynthesizerV (Oscar), GregWells VoiceCentric (Natural Vocal), Pana, Abbey Roads Plate (Warm Voice)
Backing Vocal: SynthesizerV (Feng Yi), GregWells VoiceCentric (Backing Vocal), Pana, Abbey Roads Plate (Warm Voice)
Drum: RealTracks, EZMix2 (Room 2)
Bass: RealTracks
Piano: RealTracks, TrackSpacer (vocal), ReaEQ (No Mud), Pana (Piano)
Guitar1: RealTracks, TrackSpacer (vocal), ReaEQ (No Mud), Pana, Abbey Roads Plate (Acoustic Guitar 1)
Guitar2: RealTracks, TrackSpacer (vocal), ReaEQ (No Mud), Pana, Abbey Roads Plate (Acoustic Guitar 1)
Guitar3: RealTracks, TrackSpacer (vocal), ReaEQ (No Mud), Pana, Abbey Roads Plate (Acoustic Guitar 1)
String Quartet: RealTracks, Pana, Abbey Road Plate (Strings 1)

Edit 1: I fixed the glitch with the piano, and some phonemes in the harmony.
Edit 1: Manually balanced the vocal, extended the ending so it's not so abrupt.

Blah Blah Blah
As usual, any comments are appreciated.

I've still got a cold and COVID, so I haven't been feeling much like making music. But I had started feeling better, so figured I should take advantage of the three-day weekend and force myself to do something.

I was thinking about "Looks Like Rain" that Greg Johnson had recently posted, and figured I'd do something sort of James Taylor-ish. The _ASPEN demo had a bit of a Jackson Browne feel, so I went with that but changed the key and chords.

I set the song form and imported it into SynthesizerV to work out the melody. I don't think it sounded much like James Taylor or Jackson Browne, but I went with it anyway. I had recently purchased the Oscar voice, so I used him on the lead vocal.

Fortunately, I didn't have to change the key of the song to fit Oscar's voice. That's actually one of the nice things about using BiaB - if I've got to change the key of the song, it's super-easy... as long as I do it before moving everything into the DAW.

The next day I sat down and forced myself to write something, and got the first couple of lines. I tried to come up with some sort of imagery, but... nope. I'm not even sure there's much of a rhyme scheme, but I used alliteration to make up for that.

At least I snuck a bit of imagery into the chorus. wink

Once the first verse was written, the second verse was a straightforward. That only left the bridge, which I avoided working on by working out the counter-line instead. That's still the most fun part for me, puzzling out an interesting secondary line. Fortunately, synthetic voices are patient in that regard, and more rewarding than MIDI notes.

Once I finished up with that, I worked out some notes for the bridge, put in the first words that came to mind, and called it done.

I probably should have finessed the vocal a bit, but I liked the way it was sung, so I left it "As Is". I may go back later and play with it a bit.

I'd rendered out a whole bunch of instruments in BiaB - fiddle, mandolin, lead guitar - with the intent of putting them in somewhere, but none of them fit. Fortunately, the string quartet fit under the bridge, and then I worked from there to bring various instruments in and out to give some flow to the arrangement.

The drums felt a bit sluggish, so I nudged them forward a bit. I did the same with the guitars so they would hit the beat a bit better.

I had intended to perhaps work out a guitar intro for the song - and I still might - because the piano intro is a bit glitchy. But I figured it was "good enough", and left it in for now. For now, it's all BiaB.

I'd recently picked up Pana, which is a panning VST from Klevgrand. I threw it on most of the tracks to see if I liked it better than the Panagement VST, which I usually use to place instruments into a more "real" space. I was going to buy the Valhalla VintageVerb and play with that, but I was in a hurry so I used the Abbey Road plate instead. Hopefully everything isn't soaked in reverb.

My ears are still congested, so I'm not sure how good the mix is. And I'll normally go through the vocal and hand-edit it and normalize it. But once I start working on that, it can take hours. I'll probably go back and clean it up more in the future, so feel free to make suggestions.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #800570 02/18/24 02:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can empathize about the C19 drain on creativity.
This is a lovely production with a sweet melody.
ReaEQ Mudfree is a very useful preset.
The bass may be a bit boomy in parts - I'm using a different DAC so can't be 100% certain.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
dcuny #800586 02/18/24 05:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, this is a super pop song. Great hook that will stay in my head all day. The vocals are amazing and so real with the independent harmony instead of a third above or below. The mix is stellar. I loved the lyrics and pretty much everything else. I am very impressed and this is surely among your best, Tom

dcuny #800589 02/18/24 05:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

What a great pop song. These vocals are astounding. You have a way of bringing out a very nuanced performance from them.

Blown away...

Bob

dcuny #800635 02/18/24 01:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely pop song. Good job with the voices. The lyrics take it over the top, for me. Bravo.

dcuny #800641 02/18/24 02:06 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi dcuny,
Nice melody. Your vocal synthesizer is perfect. The female voice is well arranged in relation to your melody. Pleasant arrangement.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
dcuny #800666 02/18/24 04:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, this is an outstanding pop song.
Great hook!
Super use of the synth voices - they sound so real!
Great mix.
One of your best.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
rayc #800694 02/19/24 01:03 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Ray.
Originally Posted by rayc
I can empathize about the C19 drain on creativity.
I think I'm finally coming round, although I suspect this cough and congestion is going to stick around for a couple weeks. Fortunately, the other symptoms are relatively mild.

This is a lovely production with a sweet melody.
Thanks! smile

ReaEQ Mudfree is a very useful preset.
Yeah, as a rule I should throw it on just about everything, but sometimes I forget.

The bass may be a bit boomy in parts - I'm using a different DAC so can't be 100% certain.
I'll have my bass player son have a listen. I trust his ears on all things bass.

Thanks for listening and commenting! smile

-- David Cuny

tommyad #800695 02/19/24 01:07 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Tom.

Originally Posted by tommyad
David, this is a super pop song. Great hook that will stay in my head all day. The vocals are amazing and so real with the independent harmony instead of a third above or below. The mix is stellar.
Thanks! smile

There's still a lot of things the synth vocals can't do, but for the stuff they can, they just keep getting better.

I loved the lyrics and pretty much everything else. I am very impressed and this is surely among your best,
Thanks also for mentioning the lyrics! I'm still trying to figure out what "works", so I'm glad they did here. smile

-- David Cuny

rsdean #800696 02/19/24 01:09 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Bob.

Originally Posted by rsdean
What a great pop song. These vocals are astounding. You have a way of bringing out a very nuanced performance from them.
Thanks!

"Pop" is something that I find elusive, so it's good to hear I'm making progress in that direction.

Blown away...
You're too kind! blush

Thanks for listening and commenting!

-- David Cuny

musician17 #800697 02/19/24 01:10 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, James.

Originally Posted by musician17
Lovely pop song. Good job with the voices.
Thanks! Once I've got the melody line in, working out a harmony is the fun part. No doubt I overdo it.

The lyrics take it over the top, for me. Bravo.
I'm glad the lyrics work! Thanks for listening. smile

-- David Cuny

Derochette #800698 02/19/24 01:12 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Derochette.

Originally Posted by Derochette
Nice melody. Your vocal synthesizer is perfect. The female voice is well arranged in relation to your melody. Pleasant arrangement.
Pleasant is what I was aiming for, so I'm glad it worked for you.

Thanks for the kind words. smile

-- David Cuny

MarioD #800700 02/19/24 01:18 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Mario.

Originally Posted by MarioD
David, this is an outstanding pop song.
Thanks! smile

Great hook!
Super use of the synth voices - they sound so real!
Great mix.
Well... thanks again!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #800710 02/19/24 03:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
David, joyous tune for sure! Never would have guessed you are under the weather from how peppy your song is. Hope you are 100% soon just the same.

Funny, but I don't hear a pop song, but I DO hear a show tune. I can see the staging and choreography in my mind. The way the vocals weave in and out of each other is very cool, and the vocalists sound very into it. A very vivid production for me, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for your detailed description. I shake my head after reading because you always make the end results sound effortless despite the obvious labor involved.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
dcuny #800718 02/19/24 04:37 AM
User Showcase
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
David
Your songs are always so well done.
Laurent

dcuny #800728 02/19/24 05:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done, David!

Love the vocals, especially when you bring in the female. Harmonies are outstanding!

Good pop song, nice hook. One of your best I think.

dcuny #800730 02/19/24 05:52 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sounds like something out of a Disney movie, but in a good way.
I love those harmonies and the arrangement in general.
Nice work.

Oh: the photo on SoundCloud is a Damselfly, NOT a Dragonfly grin

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
dcuny #800738 02/19/24 07:40 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David,
That's a very good song!
I never thought that a virtual voice could sound as well like a real voice.
Kudos to you.

DC Ron #800771 02/19/24 11:27 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Ron.

Originally Posted by DC Ron
David, joyous tune for sure! Never would have guessed you are under the weather from how peppy your song is. Hope you are 100% soon just the same.
Thanks! Yes, I'm getting better, thanks for the positive thoughts.

Funny, but I don't hear a pop song, but I DO hear a show tune. I can see the staging and choreography in my mind. The way the vocals weave in and out of each other is very cool, and the vocalists sound very into it. A very vivid production for me, and I enjoyed it a lot.
That's the "problem" with interweaving the second vocal - it becomes part of the song, instead of a background accompaniment. I was tempted to turn it into a duet by having the singers trade off a couple of the lines, but decided to leave it "As Is". Maybe I'll do that anyway later, just to see how it works.

So you're right about that, even thought that wasn't the original intent.

Thanks for your detailed description. I shake my head after reading because you always make the end results sound effortless despite the obvious labor involved.
Well, it is labor, but it's enjoyable to have the song come together as it's being worked on. It's sort of like magic - just the same way that BiaB will come up with a solo. Sure, it requires some work, but it's a lot easier than singing it myself. wink

This was a relatively quick song for me - I got it "done" in two days, which is fast for me. Of course, I spent all last evening tweaking the final mix, but that doesn't count! wink

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

-- David Cuny

laurent4114 #800772 02/19/24 11:27 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Laurent.
Originally Posted by laurent4114
Your songs are always so well done.
Thanks! smile

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,681
Posts735,871
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177