Using the Band-in-a-Box® Plugin with Acid
Last updated: Thursday, 16 July 2020
Default Plugin Folders
Acid Pro supports both VST2 and VST3, however currently (in Acid Pro 10) you must use the VST2 version of the Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin due to a compatibility issue. While installing Band-in-a-Box, select the option to install the VST2 (64bit); this is not selected by default. When installing future DAW Plugin updates you should also remember to check that box.
In Acid Pro 10, open the VST configuration dialog. To do this, click the Plugin Manager tab of the Explorer window ('View' menu if not visible), and click the VST configuration button at the top-right. You should add "C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins" to the folder list if not present, and click Scan.
Go to Insert | Soft Synth and select "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin" (not "..VST3 plugin"). The Band-in-a-Box plugin interface should appear. After you select and generate tracks, you can transfer them to Acid by dragging them into the Tracks view.
- Run the Band-in-a-Box® Plugin installer. By default it is installed with the main Band-in-a-Box program, and can also be installed by running the installer in C:\bb\Data\Installers. When prompted, select the checkbox to install the VST2 (64bit). This is not selected by default.
- Open Acid, and in the Explorer view, click the Plugin Manager tab.
- Click the VST Configuration button at top-right.
- Add "C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins" to the folder list in this dialog, if it's not already present, and press Scan. NOTE: for future Band-in-a-Box updates, make sure to select the VST2 checkbox as above. The latest VST2 plugin version will be installed to this folder.
- Go the Insert menu | Soft Synth.
- Select "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin". If this specific entry is not present, double-check your VST folder. If necessary you can copy the VST2 file from the Band-in-a-Box folder to the VSTPlugins folder. All of the plugin files can be found in C:\bb\BBPlugin\Files.
Tips & Tricks
Dragging Your Tracks Into Acid
Once you have generated tracks in the Plugin, you can drag them into Acid Pro 10 by clicking on the [WAV] or [MIDI] buttons and dragging to the Tracks view. To generate separate tracks for all tracks at once, drag from the blue [ALL] button.
Playing the tracks without dragging them into Acid
You may wish to play the project in your DAW and have the Plugin tracks play in sync, without necessarily having to drag them into your project. This is possible, as long as you press the "Sync" button in the Plugin to enable "Sync to Host". This feature is available in version 2 or higher (BIAB 2020 or higher) of the plugin.
Nothing happens when I select the Band-in-a-Box Plugin.
You may be selecting the VST3 version of the Band-in-a-Box Plugin. Rather than selecting "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST3 Plugin", select "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin", which is the VST2 plugin. If you do not see the VST2 plugin, make sure that you have installed it to a folder that Acid Pro scans. See the Installation steps above.
Acid is Out Of Sync with The Plugin
Make sure that the tempo (BPM) and time signature for your project in the transport section at the bottom of the Tracks view matches what is in the plugin. The Plugin will try to retrieve that information when you start a new session, however if you subsequently change it in your DAW, you'll need to change it in the plugin as well. In addition, the plugin tracks will need to be regenerated after changing the tempo.
I Can't Find My RealTracks, RealDrums, or RealStyles
From the Band-in-a-Box® plugin, go to File | Preferences and select the correct directories for your Band-in-a-Box® installation, your RealTracks folder, and your RealDrums folder. The default locations are listed for your convenience. You can either type them in or browse to them with the Select buttons.
Unconditional 30-Day Money Back Guarantee on all products purchased from PG Music Inc.