Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
software companies usually provide the minimum hardware spes for their software but not the minimum user knowledge requirements to get the most benefit from the software

just wondering what this community feels are the minimum user knowledge requirements for a person considering the purchase of biab\rb for these categories

music theory knowledge

instrument proficiency for the instrument you will be using to control the device or software and the instrument sound you want to produce

performance proficiency

computer usage basic knowledge

music production proficiency

did i miss any categories

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

In all honesty, I would recommend BIAB to anyone that’s serious about music and has a basic understanding of computers.

That doesn’t mean they would be able to get the most out of the program, but as their music and computer skills grow, … so would their ability to use BIAB.

BIAB would also be an impetus to furthering their music and computer skills.

Double edged sword.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box can be used by folks at all levels of musicianship.

You don't have to try to be a master of all things that it can do in order to start in using it right away.

And if the program were such that things could all be found and done in a week, well, it wouldn't be anything worth pursuing.

There is the "30-day no questions asked" return policy that is like having a full featured demo that saves work for a month.

What's to lose?

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Must still be breathing and own a computer. I let my then 6 year old Granddaughter use my computer with the 2004 version and she had no problem using Biab.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

music theory knowledge

music production proficiency

I think these two disqualifies me! I have always played by ear only, unfortunately NO formal training ...

Who do I contact to give my stuff back?

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with CountryTrash...you guys are way ahead of me in theory, hardware and software. I just follow Dr Gannon's advice and am here to have fun....which I do everyday! So I would say that this is rather remakable software in that it can encompass both the novice and the professional. Quite amazing that a product can have that broad of a market appeal while not alienating either sector.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Band in a Box can be used by folks at all levels of musicianship.

You don't have to try to be a master of all things that it can do in order to start in using it right away.

And if the program were such that things could all be found and done in a week, well, it wouldn't be anything worth pursuing.

There is the "30-day no questions asked" return policy that is like having a full featured demo that saves work for a month.

What's to lose?

--Mac

Bump!

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'd have to say that anyone with the desire to "make music" will find a way. I needed some way to put music to the songs I was writing and when I chanced upon a copy of BIAB at a dealer at the NAMM show in Nashville, back in 1997 I grabbed it up and started learning. Back then it was pretty simple and the hardest part was learning about computers. I knew a bit about music but nothing about computers. No computer training at all. I have been lucky to follow along with each new upgrade but find the computer part the most difficult.
It is stimulating and challenging but worth every minute of the time you will spend with it even when it stretches the old brain a bit. I would have to say it would have been much easier had I had some basic understanding of the computer first...but we are still learning with each new upgrade that introduces new challenges. In fact after discovering that my new 2013 installation had put the Sample Tank instruments in the wrong folder, I was able to move them to where they needed to be and now my Sample Tank instruments are working correctly. Quite an accomplishment for this old lady! Now if I can just figure out how to configure my new sound card that arrived today. I'll be back in business.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You can get up and running with BIAB in a few minutes. There is a little bit vof set up required but hre guys here will help0 if you run into issues.
Also dont fdrget if you run into any theory problems, or get stuck musically, you can post here, or you can use the internet. I us=ually just google my thoughts and something comes up to help

BIAB has an easy to use interface with powerful stuff going on underv the vhood chiefly

IMO its the best learning tool on the planet for musicians. I use it every day for hours

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1 At minimum 3 months of using a computer.
2 Understanding that each key has 3 primary chords, so if a person is only able to input C F and G, thats enough to get started with.

Am I the only one though that finds the manuals not a great help and the search function is absolutley terrible, in fact if a beginner was to start reading the manual I feel it would only put them completely off the program.

I find if I put in a search in biab manual and tell it to list the items, it comes up with a whole range of pages that are totally unrelated to what I am looking for.

That said If I do find the page I am looking for, then the info is very good, but getting to that page ....wow.....

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
To quote a famous personality, "I feel your pain."

I have only a very basic knowledge of music theory (can't sight read notes) and usually just play by ear or follow the chord symbols.
That was why I purchased BIAB to begin with.

However I'll have to agree that the printed Manual and the Help/Search manual sometimes gave me a headache and only added to my frustration level.
Many times I wished for a Wizard to guide me through some of the setups when faced with too many buttons or boxes to select from, mayn of which I had no idea what their meaning was (ASIO vs MME for example).

What really helped me were the how to videos and this amazing forum with it's generous members always willing to help with even the "dumbest" of questions.

These not only helped solve my problems but opened up whole new areas of music to explore and appreciate.
It also brings up the fact that the best way to learn something is to try to teach something.
That's why this site is one of my first to visit every day.

Carkins

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Luckily there are lots of tutorials in youtube made by kind selfless souls to help music theory dunces and BiaB beginners like me. On the whole though, BiaB is a rather daunting program, I think I have grasped about 2% of its possibilities. On the plus side though, I won't be needing another programs to help me create music for a long time.

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very difficult question to answer. I think it boils down to keeping an open mind, having a good attitude and above all else be willing to learn and recognize it takes some serious effort to learn. A lot of folks think they can jump into Biab with no knowledge of basic musical concepts and no basic knowledge of computers beyond turning it on and checking their email. Then they get completely frustrated, angry and leave in a huff muttering under their breath. That's where the attitude and being willing to learn comes in.

The answer is the more you know up front the easier it will be.

Can you start from square one with no musical knowledge and no computer knowledge and just start picking it up? Sure you can but it won't be easy because there's already a well established and accepted language of music, recording studios and computers you have to learn. Someone who's never recorded a lick in their life knows squat about a compressor or a tag ending. To them a compressor is used to fill up their tires or paint their house. Tag ending? What the heck is that, a skin condition on my butt? That's just two of a gazillion examples I could name.

Attitude, open mind and be willing to do whatever it takes. Basic rules of life including Biab and using computers.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
You'll need to know your credit card number......
Probably your shipping address.

WSS

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
interesting question...
to me, it's like asking "How much do you need to know before you can learn something new?"

Every baby ever born started from zero and learned from there.

No matter what you're learning, if you start with the understanding that you don't know it yet, but you can learn with some effort and without giving up... you will make progress. And that's all learning is: progress. There is no final destination to learning.

What makes BIAB uniquely usable in my opinion is that even with no experience or knowledge of music at all, an inquisitive person can go through the demo files, replace a chord here and there, and come up with something new.

On the other end of the scale, those with a lifetime of acquired musical knowledge will find multitudes of theory-based tools for developing their music ideas in BIAB

Whereas a novice might use a hammer to fix a loose board, a carpenter might use it to build a whole house. So, the answer to the question "What's the entry level knowledge required to use a hammer?" would be quite different than the answer to The question "what's the entry level knowledge required to build a house?"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

"Do you have to clean up to take a bath?" -Mike Warnke

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Like many here I do not have formal training regarding music and computers alike, but I am now and have been for a while doing quite well with BIAB.

With this said I am however very grateful to all my more knowledgeable forum members for the sharing of their expertise in both music theory and the use of BIAB. But there comes a time when as Nike says you just have to do it!

I mention this as sometimes we spend so much of our time asking theory, or what do your prefer, or other “what if” questions that there is now way on this good Lord's earth one can have the time to comprehend and apply all of this new gained knowledge.

So my answer is (was there a question I don't remember ) if you want to get involved with making music or as the tag-line says “Just Have Fun” this is hands down the software for you, because if I can do it anyone can!

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't know... My wife always says we have to clean up the house before Merry Maids (maid service) gets here.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know... My wife always says we have to clean up the house before Merry Maids (maid service) gets here.

We may be husband-in-laws as I have heard that same remark.

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,991
Posts740,166
Members38,654
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
paraschiv25, Helm73, JohnRiversaa, DaveHornet, EnzoJames
38,654 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)