http://theguitarbuzz.com/instruction/what-chord-am-i-playing/

lists it as:

CM13, or
D13 (no3), or
Em 7 aug5 sus4 (w5), or
Gsus4 6 add9, or
Am11, or
Bm 7 aug5 sus4 -9

Of those that I can get BIAB to accept, none sound like the guitar chord (even the one played "on screen" from that website)

Help!
Thanks!
LLOYD

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
I'd try Am11/B.

Afaik it's hard to get BIAB to replicate particular voicings - especially with RTs.

But that harmony will be right - and you'll have the bass note correct.

You could maybe try it a few times, and when you get one that sounds ok, freeze the track.

Best - Andy

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Thanks Andy.
I don't need a RealTrack.
I'll try your suggestion for a MIDI chord.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Lloyd, also try the B chord, but spell it B7sus#5b9/C. This might give you more of the tension in the sound of your original chord.
Nice chord btw, sounds like a bitonal quartal voicing from two different keys a m3rd apart.
hth.

Regards

Alan

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Let's spell it.

C.F,A,D,F#,B

Note the enharmonic of the F with that F# an octave above it.

I would drop one or the other, depending on the context, however if you like it there are no rules at that point.

IS C the actual bass note for the rest of it? If so, naming off of the C wouldn't be allowed in standard fakechord because of the F.

One could notate it as a 'pipe' chord, where two basic triads are indicated as stacked, thus: F|Bm -- but BiaB has yet to recognize the pipe chord system.

Bm7/C would cover all notes but the darned F and may work.

I think you need to relisten to that F in there...

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You might try 8,X,7,7,7,7 to just drop the cacophony of that dsrned F...

Journeyman
Journeyman
Mac, I think the chord is spelt C F Bb Eb Ab Db. 777788 with lowest note C on the 6th string. I think you've read it upside down as 887777.

Regards

Alan

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Alan: I tried B7sus#5b9/C but couldn't get it to sound the way I wanted.

Mac: I tried playing it on the guitar with your voicing but similarly, it wasn't what I was after. Also, the bass note is B.

I tried Alan's with a /B and that wasn't it either.

I need to use it as the last chord in the song. It follows a C chord.
For now, I just entered the C chord on the 1st beat of the last measure, then entered the required notes in Melody with a guitar selected on the 3rd beat. That's what I'm playing on guitar.

Any other suggestions I'd be happy to try them.
Thanks all!!
LLOYD S

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I read it "upside down" at first, just like Mac. smile

The easiest way to think of the chord is that it is Cmaj13--

1 C
3 E
5 G
Maj7 B
9 D
11 F
13 A

--but you are not playing the 11. It's not a big deal, though, because including the 11 or even a sharp 11 doesn't change the chord much.

Try putting the Cmaj13 or Cmaj13#11 in as the final chord and have BIAB hold it. You'll probably be satisfied right off. If not, try Cmaj13/B.

I guess the other choice is to wait until you mix the song and force a midi guitar to play the notes you want.

Last edited by SmoothJohn; 07/25/13 06:09 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
With a C in the bass, it's a CMaj7 with added 6th and 9th. Many jazz players will play that chord on occasion. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
I would not try to get BiaB to replicate this. Its one of those cool chords you can get on a guitar, and only on a guitar. Like some of the heavy-metal power chords, it gets its unique sound from the layout of the guitar tuning. To try to get other instruments to cover the notes without access to the special voicing you get on guitar is kind of missing the point.

Mind you, I dont disagree with the analyses given in the responses above.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Lloyd,

What is the song's key?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
I'm with Noel on this. We need some context in order to tell what the chord is. However I think you are confusing chord name with voicing. If you use the same notes in a different order you have not changed the chord just how it's voiced.

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Lloyd, another issue might be the style you're using. Sometimes certain extended or altered chords are better supported by styles with fuller two handed piano voicings. If you're hoping to get the guitar part of the style to play the chord chances are it won't work. Most of the guitar parts in BIAB styles have abbreviated voicings in order to blend better with other instruments in the overall sound of the style.

Regards

Alan

L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Here's some more "context".

- The song is Trambone

- I play it in the key of C

- The Style I'm using is ~!CHETBR

- I'm using that uptempo style slowed down to 125 bpm

- I'm using BIAB to practice the song with, strictly for my own enjoyment

- I just wanted the BIAB instruments to play the same chord as I'm playing on the end. See my previous post for my workaround.

Thanks all for your replies!
LLOYD S

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Perhaps this is why the convention is Left-to-Right, Lowest-string-to-highest-string.

--Mac

Mac #210468 07/26/13 07:48 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Lloyd, you will not always get the exact guitar voicing you want in Biab regardless of whether you are using RTs or MIDI. When I want exact guitar voicing I use MIDI, input the nearest chord that has either most or all of the notes I want, then in Piano roll view change them to want I want. Note that sometimes I have to either add or delete notes to match my guitar voicing.

I use the Piano roll view in my DAW to do this. If you do it in BiaB be sure to freeze that part other wise BiaB may regenerate it and you will lose all your work.

Good luck

PS – if you list your notes again like you did this time please indicate which note is on the bass string. I also read your listing the wrong way! Of course I did this and wondered where you came up with those notes prior to reading the whole thread grin

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
L
Lloyd S Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Mario:

I pretty much did what you suggested, i.e. I put in the notes I wanted in the Piano Roll mode in Melody.

Can you straighten me out on "indicating which note is on the bass string"?

My original post showed this: (Notes are: B E A D G C)

If, as Mac suggests, the convention is lowest to highest, left to right, then what I listed is correct. The lowest note is B, played on the low E string at the 7th fret.

I must be missing something <grin>
Help!

Thanks!
LLOYD

Veteran
Veteran
No, you are correct, as B is the bass note on the low E string.

Good luck

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
It was the NUMERICAL listing you gave, in a vertical, that I misinterpreted.

When guitar neck is depicted in the vertical like that, the convention I've always used is that the lowest sounding string is at the bottom.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,991
Posts740,157
Members38,654
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
paraschiv25, Helm73, JohnRiversaa, DaveHornet, EnzoJames
38,654 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)