Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
i'm wondering what keys are favorites for piano and guitar players and what keys sound the best for each instrument

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd imagine if playing with/for others one has to be comfortable playing in almost any key. For a singer it's the one that best suits your range where your voice sounds best for that song.

For those just playing alone, I guess there could be a preference.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In pop guitar styles (blues, folk, rock, etc.) keys centering on the four lowest open strings are probably the favorites, e.g., E major and minor, A major and minor, and D and G major; reason being that you don't have to play barre chords.

Open tunings change it up a little as several such omit the third, so can sound either major or minor depending on context, and can be played with simple barres formed by a finger or slide. Capos, of course, make it possible to easily play in any key.

Jeff Beck messes up the curve a bit by tuning his guitar to Eb, but who cares what he thinks? cool

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wherever the singer is comfortable.

If the singer says "Hey can you lower it a whole step o-vair?" I drive to Picksburg and lower it. Maybe catch a Stillers game and have a samrich.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/22/13 08:54 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I prefer the key of Em "..it is the saddest of all keys" grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
In pop guitar styles (blues, folk, rock, etc.) keys centering on the four lowest open strings are probably the favorites, e.g., E major and minor, A major and minor, and D and G major; reason being that you don't have to play barre chords.

R.

This is true however a good guitarist, in my mind anyway, can play in any key.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

R.

Of course, but that wasn't the question. But alla us guitarists are good, ain't we? laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

R.

Of course, but that wasn't the question. But alla us guitarists are good, ain't we? laugh

Yes we are!

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll state the obvious;
Em on guitar and C major, Am, and Dm on keys ..
go figger

These are just naturally easiest.
Like Bb concert on trumpet .. everything transposes in my mind from there. It's how I learned.

"But alla us guitarists are good, ain't we?"
No, I been called a guitarist and I ain't good. I'm barely serviceable.
I can think of others.

/that was meant to be funny

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Generally OK with any key on guitar.

On piano, any key which doesn't use the black notes.

ROG.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I at one time confess to having "favorite" keys, often based on how well I knew a certain key's mechanical issues such as fingerings on the keyboards, chord shapes and use of open strangs on the guitars, range on the trumpets.

But then I got embarassed by good musicians about that, and started the regiment of PRACTICING ALL SONGS IN ALL KEYS.

That took time.

I found that it was best to do by going around the circle of fifths, usually I would backcycle, which is going counterclockwise, such that the key would change in 4ths, but it really wouldn't matter which direction.

AND ONCE THAT KEY WAS PICKED, THAT BECAME THE PRACTICE KEY OF THE DAY.

No matter the song, try to play it by ear in the key of the day as well as in the key written or known.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Inside of much less than a year, you've got it.

And then you discover something that is much greater than the sum of the parts, you discover that certain key signatures also have something of their own to say that can either build the song emotion higher, or pull it askew, depending.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall from here?"

"Man, you gotta PRACTICE"

Have Fun,

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Guitar only, ... any key besides the flat ones.

I can do it in a pinch, ... but it just ain't natural! wink

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

When working with Horn Bands, Soul Bands, Black Gospel, the groups that may use the Flat Keys more often than not, I take advantage of what I learned from transcribing Jimi and go ahead and tune the whole guitar down one half step.

That makes my "open E" fingerings into Eb, A into Ab, D into Db, etc. -- and makes the guitar playing as simple as playing in the "guitar" keys.

It also imparts a rather different sound, as well, often purty nice.

As Jimi, and later on, Stevie Ray, showed us.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is something about the key of Db on piano. Look at your RH fingers, thumb to pinky: short, long, long,long, short. Put your thumb on f. See how nicely the long fingers fit on the black keys?
It feels right and natural.

Not only that, but the key of Db has a particular musical quality that, for me, is quite distinct. Something like melancholy or solemn, or something. Words fail, of course. I just like the way it makes me feel.

Mac and the others are right about playing in all keys, of course, and I continue to strive for that degree of musicianship.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...That makes my "open E" fingerings into Eb, A into Ab, D into Db, etc. -- and makes the guitar playing as simple as playing in the "guitar" keys. ...>>>

For solo guitar work, I use a half-step-down tuning like this on my acoustic flattop, with heavy strings. The sound seems growly-er
and gutty-er. This tuning often suits my voice better as well.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac

When working with Horn Bands, Soul Bands, Black Gospel, the groups that may use the Flat Keys more often than not, I take advantage of what I learned from transcribing Jimi and go ahead and tune the whole guitar down one half step.

That makes my "open E" fingerings into Eb, A into Ab, D into Db, etc. -- and makes the guitar playing as simple as playing in the "guitar" keys.

It also imparts a rather different sound, as well, often purty nice.

As Jimi, and later on, Stevie Ray, showed us.

--Mac

Din't know about Jimi and Stevie, but I did about Jeff Beck, whom I mentioned early on. Hmm . . . what do they know that we don't?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They can definitely play guitar better than any of us! wink

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
They can definitely play guitar better than any of us! wink

Taking the plunge to retune the guitar to their tunings will likely show you just how EASY a lot of their hard-to-scope patterns really are.

That's been my experience, anyway.

Another great player who uses the scordatura all the time, is Johnny Winter, who tunes down a Whole Step to where the E strings become D. The lessened string tension can make for a whole new world when it comes to bending.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac

Taking the plunge to retune the guitar to their tunings will likely show you just how EASY a lot of their hard-to-scope patterns really are.

That's been my experience, anyway.

Another great player who uses the scordatura all the time, is Johnny Winter, who tunes down a Whole Step to where the E strings become D. The lessened string tension can make for a whole new world when it comes to bending.

--Mac

for years I wanted to tune down for a variety of reasons,but it wasn't convenient because my tuner was specifically made for a guitar, and it only recognized the notes EBGDAE

But I recently bought a liitle clip-on tuner (mostly because it was very inexpensive, and I'm cheap) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it recognizes ALL the notes!

So now precise special tunings, tuning down any increment, or tuning with a capo already on (to compensate for that little bit of stretch the capo adds) are easy whereas before it was impossible

highly recommended:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snark-SN-5-Clip-...=item41739911a9

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
For those who are about to enter the world of drop tuning for the first time, be aware that the reduced tension can play havoc with the guitar's action.

If you like a very low action, as I do, dropping the guitar down even a semitone can result in fret buzz as the neck relaxes and the action lowers even further. If you want to play with a drop tuning habitually, it's probably a good idea to get the guitar set-up for that tuning.

I'm sure all you experienced players know this already - this is just intended to help those new to the subject.

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,991
Posts739,739
Members38,634
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nash Atkins, Unica College, blacktiger, Musitechnic, JOSEP ALEXANDER
38,633 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)