Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is what it is/was

7/6/2009 11:24:42 AM SYSTEM 312 Sign of "JS:Pdfka-JV [Expl]" has been found in "http://microsotf.cn/img/pfqd.php" file.

It is an infected PDF file. I use Firefox with Nitro PDF tool. The minute Avast flagged this Nitor opened and asked what to do with this file.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, it looks like a line of code got injected to our web page from somewhere external on the Internet (via a vulnerability in the system that has since been fixed), that was wanting to download a PDF file. (reportedly PDF files can be malicious if you have an older version of your PDF reader)

Apparently these things hunt the internet looking for specific vulnerabilities.

This has been removed fron the web page, and things should be back to normal now.

From a google search, if the PDF was downloaded, and managed to infect, it most likely would be delivering unwanted popup ads and possibly other things. You should do a adware/virus scan to make sure things are OK.

There are many good spyware/virus programs, including free scanners (e.g. http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
I apologize for this inconvenience.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Peter, it's good to hear its handled

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Peter,
It bothers me that you have to apologize for the inconvenience, since you are doing nothing more than running your business. The people who write these things should be found, prosecuted, and then punished for the harm they cause.

While this may have not been anything other than an infected .pdf file, it may have caused loss of business, loss of time for customers, loss of revenue for customers, loss of time for your employees and such.

In a sense, these individuals are no better than the terrorists and pirates populating our world today. And, at some point, they are going to become just as deadly.

Thanks for getting it cleared up, Peter.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

In a sense, these individuals are no better than the terrorists and pirates populating our world today. And, at some point, they are going to become just as deadly.

the millions or possibly billions of dollars in lost man-hours alone probably far exceeds all other forms of 'piracy' already. to bad someone couldn't come up with a plan to root these people out then prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. microsoft puts a bounty on their heads but i don't know how affective that has been. maybe a portion of software sales should go into a fund dedicated to exposing these 'terrorists.' the money and effort we all spend on av software would be a good start toward the fund.

just 2 cents from a victim of a trojan that put me out of business with band in a box.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bob,

The file that popped up when I viewed the PG home page was actually named 955.pdf. Instead of viewing it, I downloaded the file. When I opened it in the Open Office reader, it was blank. However, viewing the file in a hex editor listed more details. Probably like Peter said, it is a specially crafted pdf designed to take advantage of a Window's vulnerability.

JBlatz
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
According to Adobe:

Platform: Windows XP or Windows 2003 (Vista users are not affected) with Internet Explorer 7 installed

Affected software versions: Adobe Reader 8.1 and earlier, Adobe Reader 7.0.9 and earlier
Adobe Acrobat Professional, 3D and Standard 8.1 and earlier versions, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Standard, 3D and Elements 7.0.9 and earlier

Anyone with the above are in danger of the pdf file using the mail to capacity in adobe to forward information to a 3rd party. I recall using this feature when designing test papers for the fire department, on completion of the test the answers and the users name, date, and badge number were emailed to the Training Office. I'm a little muddy as to how this works in the instance of the webpage, unless it's loading itself as a TSR type piece of software and sending information from forms to another site.

I will not use IE7, and only use that browser if forced to by Microsoft.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Strange, I thought I intentionally used the Firefox browser when I went there..

Using the form feature and mailto feature make sense to me. Anytime you fill out a form, it gets mailed to some guy in China; (think username, password type forms boxes)
Some would call that a keylogger, I certainly would, it is a selective keylogger that only mails out keystrokes entered in forms (probably secure forms). Sounds just about like Spybot decribed it. They claim it is logging any form information and sending it to a remote system. Now if they know the system it is getting sent to... seems like it would be an easy shot for the right 'forensic inspector'.
Yeah, I know, they can hijack innocent computers and use those as stoops.. but it would be a start.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have links right to the forum, don't go to the homepage. So do you assume that if you go to order something on-line from PG's store that the info ended up going out to Tim-buck-two?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't assume anything
I believe PGMusic would have by design any orders going through a seperate secure server.
A secure server will be much harder to infiltrate than a basic webpage server.. although accidental infection is surely possible from admin access.
Since the forum seemed to stay safe during the issue, I believe they have the different components on seperate servers or server partitions. I don't know of any trojan that can jump partitions or domains on a server. Otherwise I would be battling about 15 infected sites right now. One of the infected sites I listed above is still infected after two months (recurring issue) and is on a server that also contains a website I administor. This is how I knew about it to begin with; the guy called us to make sure we knew about his issue and to make sure it hadn't affected our sites, since all sites he administered on that server were getting infected.
I told him it was a sign that he was the one with crap on his shoes and everytime he went in to check his sites he was smearing a little around.
We know exactly what to look for and have seen no sign on our sites.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What rharv said.

Stay cool, no panic, no rumors please.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,961
Posts739,950
Members38,649
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BIAB4Me, Al TH 02, Raenil, woraroru, JazzMan01
38,649 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)