Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
C
OP Offline
C
For years I put up w/ bad bass lines generated by the style I selected, and lousy rendering, totally different from the sound of an acoustic bass. I thought I had a solution w/ Real Tracks, but even the great sounding Real Tracks w/ the jazz bass (Ray, etc), have a built in restriction, and it is a big one -- you can't edit the bass lines. You are stuck w/ the generated bass lines. For many of you, that might be fine. I'm a jazz guitarist and I like to use only bass and Real Drums as a background for traditional straight-ahead jazz classics. Much of the time the auto-generated bass lines are not good. In fact they can be down right irritating. Maybe I'm too particular. If you listen carefully to auto-bass lines, you'll notice many times the notes don't carry a concept from one group of 2 or 4 measures to the next. So it might sound good for up to 4 measures, then it randomly starts another idea without regard to the previous few notes. That drives me insane. It's like listening to a schizophrenic. So what I have done is to take the trouble of inputting my own bass lines into the soloist channel, or modify some bass lines from a non-Real-Tracks style which I copy to the soloist channel. To get that great acoustic bass sound I use a plugin called NI BandStand. My savior! You can buy it through PGmusic or save money and go elsewhere. It operates either standalone or as a DXI plugin for BIAB. I use the DXI. It can be used to render all instruments, but I just use it for bass. It takes the bass lines in the soloist channel as input and uses wave recordings of acoustic bass and puts them all together. It sounds great, just like an acoustic bass, except slides and slaps are missing. I can't mimic the slides, but slaps can be somewhat faked by using clusters of bass notes w/ different durations, a slightly cumbersome process. I used to use BIAB's Roland VSC, but the acoustic sound from VSC is pitiful in comparison to Bandstand.

The bad news -- it take me 1-3 hours per song.
The good news -- the result is fantastic, and if I don't like the bass, it's my own d...m fault and I can change it.

If you have the time to do your own bass, I highly recommend getting Bandstand w/ BIAB.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
With a decent MIDI pickup on the guitar, you could speed up the process considerably as you could play the bassline in realtime and record it as MIDI data to the Melody or Soloist track. Just stick to the lower four strings, of course.

The trick is to transpose the notes down one octave after recording, then apply a good Bass MIDI output solution that you like.

I've done it that way using MIDI guitar and MIDI keyboard controllers for years. I like it much better than step entry, note-by-note entry methods. And some of those slides and things can indeed be just played in and, depending upon the type and quality of MIDI pickup and translator box, will get recorded to MIDI complete with certain CC data that mimics them.

My other trick is to record the guitar being played as bass one octave up to Audio track in the sequencer. Then I apply Pitch Shift algorithm plugin to take it down one octave. This one won't sound like a string bass at all with the standard electromagnetic pickup electric guitar, rather, it can sound remarkably like a solid body bass guitar at work. Use of audio compressor plugin after the fact is almost mandatory with this one, as it is with recording a real bass guitar.

--Mac

E
Expert
Expert
E
Hi Claude,

I've spent years trying to find a great sounding Acoustic bass library. I did buy Bandstand (which is not available anymore BTW) as well as many other libraries. None did the trick UNTIL I checked out Spectrasonics "Trilogy". WOW....talk about real. Now they have a new product which is an overhaul and update called "Trillium". I advise you to check out the videos for it. Acoustic, and Electric basses to die for with real slides, thumps, trills, slaps, etc. Amazing stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsj26oEoBfo

Also a great contender is Vir 2 "Basis". Wonderful stuff here too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_z5XAR92qE

Both worlds apart from Bandstand!
Hope this helps,
Ed

G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Interesting and useful thread with very helpful suggestions. I have been very happy to use the acoustic bass sound that comes with Garageband/Logic (for example, my recording of THEM THERE SAINTS linked to the Tips 'n Tricks forum here) but am currently looking for some other samples.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Expert
Expert
For those who already own bass guitars, there's a new BTM (Bass to Midi) pedal coming out soon...for $99!
It's already available for ordering from Sweetwater. A cheap alternative to entering midi bass lines directly off a bass guitar...or...using the bass guitar to midi pedal for use as controller for midi instruments, principally synth tracks. In terms of glitches there might be quite a few off the basses lower strings. Even the more expensive bass guitar midi pickups have had tracking problems.
But for home-studio use, doubling the basses own sound with synth-`activated midi tracks, it could be real funl for the price! I believe it's marketed by Sonus.

http://www.thegigbaby.com

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Ed, the Trilian was about the most impressive acoustic bass sampler I have heard. I cannot wait until they take the level of detail onto the woodwinds, brass, and other strined instruments as the violin.

E
Expert
Expert
E
RickeG,

Yeah, if you like strings and want to be REALLY impressed with the state of the art in sample libraries, check these out>

http://www.soundsonline.com/content/us/hollywood-strings.php

It is a big file, but you can watch the movie about how to use it. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I considered it, until I saw the price! But if you are a serious film music composer, it's a must have.

Others think that LA Scoring Strings are better, you be the judge, again you can watch the videos explaining how the program works in your sequencer of choice>

http://www.audiobro.com/html/demos.html

If you are looking for a full symphonic library that sounds REAL, the ProjectSam Symphobia is an awesome choice, and not too expensive>

http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Boxed-Products/

When you consider that Hans Zimmer and over 80% of TV series and Movies are made with these libraries, you will understand why after you hear the demos......enjoy!

Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Claude, the demos sound very good on this Sonivox $19 acoustic bass DVI. Although I do not own this one yet I do have a couple of Sonivox DVI’s and they are really great sounding, especially considering the price.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mario, that Sonivox upright bass is fine in practice, as well as in demo. More refined than the Manytone Bass. It has slap in the top velocities, but not all the thumps and slides and graunches of the Manytone.

It has been available for years in soundfont form. All the DVI's are the old soundfonts repackaged in little VSTi players. Still really good.

Larry
______
Veteran
Veteran
There is another option that I'm aware of, and that would be Keyfax's Twiddly Bits. They are MIDI recordings of people playing MIDI controllers. You'll have to find your own synth sound, of course, but you can cut and paste the Twiddly Bits into your sequencer, PLUS, they are totally editable.

http://www.midisamples.com/

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have to agree with Ed Buckley's recommendation of Trillian. I've been fooled more than once by it's contrabass as well as electric bass accompaniments by online friends posting songs.

Pretty pricey, but in this case, I think you get what you pay for. Last couple of years, I've been playing my own bass parts and getting closer to the end goal of something I can be proud of.

You can get into a pretty nice electric bass sound with real hardware for about $250 total: $120 for the bass from www.rondomusic.net and another $100 to buy a bass amp simulator.

Veteran
Veteran
piggybacking on Mac's idea of recording the bass with Midi guitar, then dropping an octave...

even if you don't have a MIDI guitar, you can record bass on the guitar as audio, then use Audacity to lower the pitch an octave without changing the timing. I doubt it would sound like an acoustic upright, but it approximates an electric bass fairly well.

You might experiment with an acoustic guitar, classical guitar, electric guitar etc to see which lowered sound is closest to that of a natural bass

Apprentice
Apprentice
Have you heard the AC bass in Garritan Jazz & Big Band? What the hell is this font? that is the dumbest ampersand I've ever seen. It looks like some closet christian secret sign. The guy who did the Ac Bass tracks must have written this font. Anyway, after the novelty wears of the real tracks you begin to notice that much of this stuff is way too busy in many cases and there needs to be a way to edit the sound of these tracks. If not the performances. PG!! this is accompaniment software not saving it up for friday nite party time. The modern jazz drum tracks are a good example. A real band would have this guy in the alley with there hands around his neck if someone played like this on a jazz gig. I tried for a half hour last nite to find a real tracks style in the Jazz Ballad category that didn't have a bass player that wanted to solo over the second time thru the head.... Even after I took out all the fill and get it on now squares. What are these people thinking? We'd be so thrilled to have something that feels decent to play with we wouldn't notice the 8 bit sound files? the cheezy slide guitar files. PIanos........ you get the idea.

Back to Garritan Jazz. Don't bother buying it for Biab. They love selling it but can't support it. It is the most frustrating thing I have come across besides running this program on a pc. The new mac version is for the intel macs. But Garritan drives biab crazy. I'll called a million times and they were going to get right on it. They didn't even have a computer with it installed! This is the best sounding stuff around for this kind of money 149.00. It makes everything else they offer, that I've heard, sound like a toy band. And they can't or won't figure out how to make it work. The pc is fast enough and has 3 gig of ram and the has de rigueur 32 bit limping, lump of an OS [ can't think of the name ] but it's the one biab likes. I never use it for anything but biab and almost never get on line with it. It has very little other software on it and has been optimized for audio use. Pretty frustrating times for biab and jazz. There is so much potential there.

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Ron,

By default, Band-in-a-Box will play a "B" sub-style during the middle choruses, and the B parts are always busier during the A parts. This will happen no matter which style you're using.

Go to Edit - Settings (For This Song) and un-check the "Vary Style in Middle Choruses" checkbox to disable this feature.

Hope this helps
Kent
PG Music

J
J
Ron, that is a pretty informative post. I was considering upgrading from Biab 2004 to the current Ultra Pack because I am dissatisfied with the double bass sounds from VSC and Cakewalk TTS-1 (a synth in Sonar). About half of my Biab stuff is standards as recorded by the vocalists in the 40's and 50's -- as they say 'any tune Frank would sing'. For example this afternoon I was working on Fly Me to the Moon using the midi 'Coc-tail' style. I like the double bass note selection but just not the sound. However I have now extensively sampled the Realtracks swing bass demos and consider them to be non-authentic for my purpose. Compared to the original recordings they are too busy, as you said, sounding more like soloists with much jumping around between octaves; they have way too much fingerboard buzz when playing up the neck; and the bass is very nasally. It is more nasal than any double bass I have ever heard. I own and have played a double bass for about 10 years on and off and have experimented with different strings and although I am not very good I have some knowledge of how the instrument can sound. I guess that the Realtrack swing basses were meant just for hard core jazz, although I understand that you feel they are lacking in that area too. I have tried putting some serious eq on the demo tracks which helped to a certain extent with the buzzing, but not enough, and just couldn't eliminate the nasal quality.

I listened very closely to the demos of Garritan Jazz & Big Band on their site and was blown away at the sound for just $149. I thought Biab 2004 would do me just fine if it could sound like that, but I didn't think my computer can run it. It just has a Celeron 2.3 GHz processor with 1 GB ram. I was toying with the idea of upgrading the computer instead of Biab but if Garritan Jazz & Big Band won't work with Biab then there is no point. Not sure what to do now. There are many sounds in Realtracks that I could use but not having a good double bass for the old standards could be the deal breaker.

At the moment I am using a 30 day demo of Forte DXi. I like its double bass sound much better than the other synths I have (as far as sounding generally like the old recordings of the standards), but the rest of the sounds are not much of an improvement to my ears. I tried the demo of the Xpansion Tank 2 but the demo did not come with a double bass at all. I may just keep my powder dry until there are some Realtrack basses that suit my needs.

(Just to clarify -- I am not trying to re-create the original arrangements, just to have a sound that is more or less in the ball park. The midi styles are usually good enough for what I want.)

Jim

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Jim. I'm a bass player too but fretless mostly and I don't play much anymore. I intonation is not good unless I stare at my left hand.

On the Garritan. Not much to say except I'd rather have their bass w/ a midi source than the real track bass.

That said, the real drums are worth the price of admission.

The problems I'm having are when you are working with a song file and doing lots of double click starts or looping and stopping and starting, or jumping around in the song form, quickly the notes on the bass and some times the piano [ these are about the only instruments I use plus real drums] begin to be truncated so I have something like a 64th note where a quarter note should be. On your pc the horror story could be different. One solution to this is to freeze the tune or put it into real band but that gets iffy too. Just getting it ported over there has been problematic the few times I've tried it.

If I close and reopen the app. that usually takes care of the errors. Sometimes a restart in necessary. Perhaps by Garritan has changed their interface from NI player. They promised this a year ago and don't support the product in Biab either. Again your situation could be different with your pc. There are no two of those alike. PG folks are not unreasonable and they might sell you Garritan with the understanding that they'd take it back if it won't run properly in their app. I won't give up that sound library. So I'm quite frustrated till I get one of the new macs.

On your pc 2.3 gigahertz sounds fast enough but I'd ask pG ts about the ram. I think more would be in order and I think the JABB library is 5 or 6 gigabytes in size. A 7200 or better rpm hd will help things too.

Also the way real tracks work... if you don't select a real tracks style they have an asterisk or something in title of the style then you could use the Garritan bass or those amazing samples from Trillian mentioned above. They are the best thing I've heard. It's very possible if you have a 2004 ver. of Biab that you won't have problems with Garritan samples. Good luck.

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Kent, Thanks, I understand about the B parts, Thats why I tried having no fills or B part colors in the fill squares. There is a difference between a part getting more interesting and more irritating. You guys need to take a hard listen to your jazz bass real tracks performances. Guys who played like this at a gig would never get thru the nite or at least never get rehired. That kind of over playing probably sells the real tracks to the teens and 20 somethings but once they begin trying to play over these jazz style real tracks they will no longer be happy campers if they've been playing long enough to grow some taste. I really don't want to dumb down the style with the `vary B section' option. Your company needs to have some jazz players listen to your performances and sample quality. Same thing used to happen on the one and only Abersold Jazz tracks album I bought before I knew about BIAB. Everyone was over playing like crazy. Its supposed to be Accompaniment!

Ron

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Jazz & Big Band is tricky to use in Band-in-a-Box, mainly because it is not a GM synth, BB only supports using one VSTi at a time, and also JABB wants some special controllers to use some instruments properly. It is more suited for use in RealBand, where you can have more control over the MIDI messages you are sending it, and you can assign different synths to different tracks.

Regarding the Acoustic Bass styles... we welcome suggestions for new styles. If you have some specific style suggestions, make sure to post those in our style wishlist section, preferably with some specific song examples that we can listen to. The Jazz Bass styles all have a special RealTracks entry called '2 only', which is much less busy, but perhaps you are looking for a different style of playing.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
J
J
Ron,

I am not much of a bass player. I have an Englehardt plywood bass that for years I would throw in the back of the pickup sans gig bag and drive it over to the weekly front porch get together. We played old time. I stopped doing that a few years ago and now mostly play standards on guitar. I can't play those bass parts very well. I can do them better on an electric with a pick, but I much prefer the authentic sound of a double bass.

I now have a copy of Biab Pro that I am evaluating for 30 days before deciding if I want to buy the Ultrapluspak. I am still evaluating Forte DXi. My computer can handle Forte DXi or Realtracks, but it is best if I don't run both at the same time. It can handle Forte DXi and Realdrums at the same time which works out well. I agree with you that the Realdrums are the best part of the real instruments (that came with Pro -- and the sax is good but I mean the accompaniment Realtracks). But my point is that I now think that I would not be able to use Garritan Jazz & Big Band on this computer since it can barely handle Forte DXi. I doubt that it could handle any of the big sample programs. And I can't add more ram; already maxed out. I really need a new computer to run these apps but if I bought one then I could not afford the programs.

Andrew, I guess I could request a style and wait to see if it ever comes out and then buy the Ultrapak, but my dislike is more about Neil Sainson's sound than the style. I wish they had not named it a swing bass because it sounds nothing like the double basses from the swing era, possibly because they used gut strings back then and did not play so much up the fingerboard which accentuates the buzzing. To me, Neil Swainson's sound is more tailored to hard core jazz where all of the instruments are the equal of each other and each tries to be noticed as much as possible, which I feel is not appropriate when backing up a standard's singer.

I also don't like the sound of the Oliver Gannon "Freddie" guitar. The style is okay but there is a lot of string rattling in the sound, like the guitar is being banged or the action is set too low. It sounds amateurish to me, so even if I were to request another style and it were produced but with the same unsatisfactory sound then I still would not want to use it.

For the moment I am sticking with Biab 2004 and using Forte DXi for the bass while I continue to evaluate the Realtracks. I like the sound of the Forte DXi bass okay and it has the advantage that I can control the note selection. I am still pondering whether it is worth the cost of upgrading mainly to get the Realdrums. I have a couple of weeks left in my evaluation period.

Thank you for the tips regarding Garritan Jazz & Big Band.

Jim

R
Expert
Expert
R
For a nice jazz bass, check out Coyote Forte. I agree with the original poster that the RealBass often leads to undesired lines. My biggest gripe is with the slow ballads. Even using the 'A' pattern, the passage gets quite busy. My solution was to find a couple of midi styles I like and use Forte for the bass. No complaints.

PG sells Forte with a 30 day return policy. If you have an good external synth, even better.

R

J
J
Hi Rachel,

Thanks once again for your valuable input. I also pretty much like the double bass in Forte DXi. I find the one in both VSC DXi and Coyote WT to sound like the bass notes on an electronic keyboard. The one in Cakewalk TTS-1 also sounds like a keyboard but with the addition of some resonance like reverb combined with chorus. The only one that sounds remotely real to me is the Forte DXi. If I solo the bass and listen to a few notes and then play them on my Englehardt bass they seem quite similar but with the Englehardt sounding more real for obvious reasons. The Englehardt is a good low end double bass, so when I say that the Forte DXi sounds a bit like it I am only saying that it sounds like a low end double bass, but that is still miles ahead of the others which to my ears do not sound like double basses at all.

Jim

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Hi,

but perhaps you are looking for a different style of playing.

Yes I am, one that doesn not employ over playing.

Ron

M
M
Thanks for the info!

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
That demo of the Sonivox bass sounds cool. At that price, I am tempted to get it.

If I do, there is a choice there--Soundfont or DVI.

I know what a soundfont is, and have a player (SFZ) that can play oit.

What is a DVI?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Maiki:

"DVI" stands for "Digital Virtual Instrument", or some turtle-whiz like that. It's a Sonivox trademark indicating one of their soundfonts packed into its own individual VST player. They hope to extend the commercial life of some excellent old samples by making these self-contained softsynths.

Individual Virtual Instruments will plug directly into a modern sequencer and play the MIDI data sent to them. They are nearly useless in Band in a Box, because of its limited softsynth implementation. But you can assemble a big orchestra of them in a VST sequencer.

Larry
______
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You might want to check out Vir2's VI.ONE, as I like the upright sounds quite a bit.

Well, that and it comes with a LOT of other high-quality instruments, for a street price of less than $100.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I do like what I'm hearing with the Manytone Upright Bass demos.

So I went ahead and purchased the Manytone to have as an option. Waiting for my download link. We'll see how it goes, but at only $29, it's certainly worth a try.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Okay, I tried the ManyTone Upright, and (at least with the default settings) it was a little too... interesting?

Being MIDI-driven, it wasn't as busy and buzzy as the RealTracks uprights I've tried so far, nor did it have the intonation issues (sorry guys, but some of those RealTracks upright notes make me wince), but still, the ManyTone was just a little too present and noticeable for my taste.

The bite would probably work well for more "aggressive" jazz or rockabilly or something, but much of the time, I'm looking for that smooth jazz trio or cocktail lounge sound.

I could change my mind after playing with the ManyTone bass for a while, but for now, I still like the way the VI.ONE upright sound just lays in the pocket.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Another vote for Trilian, it is amazing!

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I hate rocking the boat, but I absolutely love the real tracks double bass sounds!

Mike Laatz
Cape Town
R
Expert
Expert
R
There never has been an argument about the sound quality of the RT bass. The phrasing of some of those tracks is what has been the issue. Now that more variations of the RTs are being added, they are addressing the issue. I have been listening to the new [Simple] and [Very Simple] variations of the Jazz Acoustic Bass. At this point, I am very pleased with what I'm hearing. Not 'perfect' but much closer.

R

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I quite like the acoustic bass sound in real Tracks but find the bassist is too busy and overplaying....sometime almost like he is taking a solo. If he could more closely follow the root of the chords...think Ray Brown and Paul Chambers. The simple and very simple alternatives have helped, but still far too busy for jazz playing in my opinion.
I will make mention of this in the wish list

Mal

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,644
Posts735,399
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.