Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Other PG Music Programs
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
I purchased both the guitar and piano chord dictionaries and use at least one or the other almost every day.

My favorite feature of both programs is what I call reverse chord look-up. By that I mean I tell a program the fingering of a chord and the program displays the name, or names, of the chord.

One benefit is once I know the name one of these dictionaries labels a chord then I know that name will be accepted by Band-in-a-Box.

Another benefit is that I can use the programs even while the computer is offline from the internet.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Honestly, sometimes it's like the PG Marketing posters are just edging me on to poke more "Not on Mac!" grumbles at them wink

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Honestly, sometimes it's like the PG Marketing posters are just edging me on to poke more "Not on Mac!" grumbles at them wink

If it's not on a Mac then by all means complain and put a wish in the wishlist forum.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I purchased both the guitar and piano chord dictionaries and use at least one or the other almost every day.

My favorite feature of both programs is what I call reverse chord look-up. By that I mean I tell a program the fingering of a chord and the program displays the name, or names, of the chord.

One benefit is once I know the name one of these dictionaries labels a chord then I know that name will be accepted by Band-in-a-Box.

Another benefit is that I can use the programs even while the computer is offline from the internet.

I have found that many people (not saying you, Jim) do not know about the existing tool in the Windows version of BIAB. Windows menu, MIDI Chord Detection is one of my favorite things about BIAB. Not only does it give you up to four alternatives for the chord you finger on a MIDI keyboard, but with a keystroke it enters that chord into your song.

It occurs to me I should check to see if the Mac version, with 2021 just released today, has this yet, before Icelander mentions it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Other PG Music Programs
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

It occurs to me I should check to see if the Mac version, with 2021 just released today, has this yet, before Icelander mentions it.

The Mac 2021 does have MIDI chord recognition. But it does not have the dialog that pops up like in the Windows version. It's explained on page 65 of the 2021 Mac manual, under "Chord Entry". To use this feature, select the Options | MIDI Patch Maps | Insert current MIDI chord menu command. command+return is the keystroke combination for this function.

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/manual/bandinabox_mac_2021_manual.pdf

Best,
Chantelle
Other PG Music Programs
Journeyman
Journeyman
I bought the guitar chord dictionary and use it on a regular basis.

...Deb

Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I love these programs, the guitar and the piano dictionary (I just got the piano one I liked the guitar version so much.)

The piano one is great for songwriting, just idly clicking on chords until you find one that fits your mood.

Dm9!

I knew I was in a Dm9 mood!

Off to the races!!!!!!

smile

Such a bargain too.

Other PG Music Programs
If these questions have been asked and answered somewhere else in the forums or in some other part of the site in the past, I apologize for dredging up a bunch of zombies.

• What file format are the Chord Dictionaries?
  • Are the dictionaries stand alone programs or BiaB add-ons?
  • Can sample pages be viewed anywhere and, if so, where?
  • Do the chord charts/pages include fingering chart for each chord?
  • Is there a video tutorial about how to use the dictionaries with and without BiaB?

Inquiring minds (at least this one) want to know.

Everyone has talent. Talent is useless unless developed into skill.
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Mullanphy,

I'll try to answer each of your questions. Here goes:
Quote:
What file format are the Chord Dictionaries?
Both files are executable files. The file for the Guitar Chord Dictionary is "GuitarChordDictionary.exe" and the file for the Piano Chord Dictionary is "ChordDictionary.exe".
Quote:
Are the dictionaries stand alone programs or BiaB add-ons?
Each is a standalone program.
Quote:
Can sample pages be viewed anywhere and, if so, where?
See the screen shots below.
Quote:
Do the chord charts/pages include fingering chart for each chord?
Yes for both programs.
Quote:
Is there a video tutorial about how to use the dictionaries with and without BiaB?
Not that I'm aware of however both programs have Help buttons that open a help file. +++ HERE +++ is a link to a webpage that provides more details of the Guitar Chord Dictionary while +++ HERE +++ is a link to a webpage with more details about the Piano Chord Dictionary.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (400.75 KB, 82 downloads)
Guitar Chord Dictionary
Clipboard02.jpg (298.5 KB, 82 downloads)
Piano Chord Dictionary

Other PG Music Programs
Thanks so much!

Everyone has talent. Talent is useless unless developed into skill.
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran

I have said it before but I will say it again.

I love these little programs.

They are great and so accessible and fast for the songwriting process. I have shortcuts for each in my main songwriting tools folder.

Insofar as instructions, they are fairly straightforward.

Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Are these demo'ed anywhere? Not that it is needed, but I may like to pick both of these up as a resouce and viewing a youtube demo is common these day.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
MusicStudent Dan, No as far as I can tell after performing a YouTube search.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200